PDA

View Full Version : Feb 1st starting date

beastxc
07-20-2008, 23:13
What does everyone think about leaving feb 1st. Is it a good idea or is there a better time to start?

noname
07-20-2008, 23:31
If you're comfortable in the cold and don't mind being alone, I don't see why not.

I'm debating between March 1 and March 15 (I had previously thought March 15 but now I'm thinking of moving it up.) and I'm worried that with the March 1 start date there won't be too many people to hike with/hike around. Not that I'm doing this for social reasons (although I would like to experience some of the culture as well), but just for safety reasons as a single female.

So I guess it depends on your goals for the hike. What are they?

A-Train
07-20-2008, 23:55
If you're comfortable in the cold and don't mind being alone, I don't see why not.

I'm debating between March 1 and March 15 (I had previously thought March 15 but now I'm thinking of moving it up.) and I'm worried that with the March 1 start date there won't be too many people to hike with/hike around. Not that I'm doing this for social reasons (although I would like to experience some of the culture as well), but just for safety reasons as a single female.

So I guess it depends on your goals for the hike. What are they?

There will be LOTS of folks starting on the 1st of March, absolutely nothing to worry about. Feb 1st, well, that's a different (much colder, lonelier) story

Panzer1
07-21-2008, 00:06
It's OK if you want to get started early, nothing wrong with that. I might even consider that myself.

Why do you want to leave so early in the season? Any particular reason?

Panzer

Cool AT Breeze
07-21-2008, 01:20
I hiked from Springer to Neel Gap starting on Feb 8th this year. Very lonley ,6 people in three days. The weather was good but went to crap the afternoon I got to MT. Xings.

minnesotasmith
07-21-2008, 08:40
Faithwalker and I are planning a NOBO attempt (after starting the Pinhoti near New Year's) where we'll hit Amicalola in probably the first week of February. Of course, we won't be moving all that fast at that point. I figure the Smokies is where we'll most struggle with winter conditions from starting that early, if we do anywhere.

mrc237
07-21-2008, 09:34
At your young age the later the better. Be prepared to spend lots of $ if the weather turns bad and motel/town stays are longer also carrying extra clothing gear etc will just slow you down. Leaving when the weather is nicer you'll have more company and your load will be lighter, making the miles will be easier. JMO. Good Luck!

The Solemates
07-21-2008, 11:02
We started Feb 1. Best decision. If I hike it again, I'll start before Feb 1 or after May 1.

beastxc
07-21-2008, 14:57
i really have no reason why i want to start at that date, it just sounded good and i didnt want to wait another month to start. when is the very best time to start?

BlindMoose
07-21-2008, 15:06
I plan on starting around Mar 1, mid Feb to Mid Mar depending on circustances - got a lot to coordinate coming from Wa State and all - looking forward to seeing you all there - i am itching to get going.

A-Train
07-21-2008, 15:12
i really have no reason why i want to start at that date, it just sounded good and i didnt want to wait another month to start. when is the very best time to start?

There is no best for everyone. Depends on so many things. If you hate people, the best time to start is in January. If you need lots of friends, mid to late March, early April. To avoid cold weather, May 1st, etc.

If you start around Feb 1st you will basically miss the entire southern spring and wildflowers and will be in every area at the least optimal time. Muddy trails in Vermont, potential bad weather in the whites and lots of mosquitoes and high water in Maine.

Basically it depends on what is most important for you.

Lone Wolf
07-21-2008, 15:15
What does everyone think about leaving feb 1st. Is it a good idea or is there a better time to start?

bad idea. start april 15th

Jack Tarlin
07-21-2008, 15:57
A-Train is correct, there's no "best" time for everyone.

Some folks do fine with an early start; some get discouraged by weather and Trail conditions.

Some suggestions:

* You have a much greater chance of running into extended periods of poor weather, so prepare for this and expect it.

* Bring extra clothing, so you ALWAYS have something dry and warm to
change into at day's end.

* Prepare for slower mileage and slower progress, as poor weather will mean
late starts on some mornings; more (and longer) breaks at shelters; and
abbreviated hiking days (i.e. if you get to a shelter at three and it's cold
and wet, you may well quit for the day instead of hiking until dinnertime).
Bad weather will also mean more diffficult Trail conditions on some days,
which will affect your mileage. So plan on slower days; because of this,
you may also wish to pack extra food and fuel, as a stretch that you expect
might take three or four days may prove to take longer, and you don't want
to be caught short on supplies or fuel.

*Bring maps and know how to use them, so you know how to get out of the
woods in a hurry if you need to. Don't bushwhack or deviate from the Trail
unless you know EXACTLY where you are and where you are going. Getting
lost or spraining an ankle on the A.T. in March or April is one thing; doing it
on a side trail in February is another matter.

*Bring extra money. It is inevitable that you'll end up in towns longer than
you planned, and may well make town town stops that you hadn't originally
considered.

*Most importantly, don't let your wish to be a "lightweight" hiker lead you to
do anything foolish or risky. Make sure you have a good shelter; make sure
you have enough clothing and gear; make sure you don't stint on food.
There will be lots fewer people out there in February so you really will have
to depend on yourself for everything you'll need.

Blissful
07-21-2008, 19:44
We started March 5th. Great time and nice gang of hikers about but not the throngs. Feb 1st will be pretty cold in the mtns (you'd likely need a zero degree bag) and likely snowy.

Stormennorm
07-21-2008, 21:19
I started Feb 1st this year there were three that started that day. All of us made it all the way so i think its a good day :sun. We only delt with one major snow storm major being knee deep with some people in arm pit high snow drifts. Only saw one night at 0 degree. most nights got no colder than 15. and no more than a inch or two of snow here and there besides the one storm. I enjoyed the small number of people on the trail. and when i do it again it will be Feb 1st.

The Solemates
07-22-2008, 08:00

with a comment like that, i dont think you realize what you are getting into with a feb 1 start date. you need to seriously research your options...

cowboy nichols
07-22-2008, 08:10
The very best time to start is the first day you take your first step on the trail.

Dances with Mice
07-22-2008, 09:00
i really have no reason why i want to start at that date, it just sounded good and i didnt want to wait another month to start. when is the very best time to start?10 in the morning.

Marta
07-22-2008, 12:35
You might want to check Mr Happy's TJ:

http://www.trailjournals.com/entry.cfm?trailname=5282

He found the early-season solitude and harsh weather pretty difficult.

BlindMoose
07-22-2008, 16:11
Does anyone know what the farmers almanac is predicting for 09?? That might be helpful as to when to start.

Jack Tarlin
07-22-2008, 22:36
I don't know how they look at it in Vancouver, but in New England, the Farmer's Almanac is considered something of a joke.

I'm willing to bet that Georgia folks feel the same way. :rolleyes:

BlindMoose
07-23-2008, 15:54
I guess thats a no?

Mags
07-23-2008, 16:13
The Farmers' Almanac states that it will be cold in the winter, with a warming trend towards spring. ;)

Seriously, if I was to do the AT again, I'd start in May and walk among the gorgeous Appalachian wildflowers.

Time it so I catch the start of a New England autumn. Be on the big K by early-mid September.

But that's me. If you can comfortably do a 4-4.5 mo thru-hike, it would work well. Most first time AT thru-hikers probably don't want to do this pace, however.

A Feb 1st start is winter (even in the southern Appalachians).

Unless you are an experienced winter hiker and enjoy the cold, a March 1st (or even a little later) start would be better. At a 6 mo pace, thta would put you at the Big K by September. Perfect! And, at only ~12 MPD avg, very doable.

Bare Bear
07-25-2008, 16:16
What Jack Tarlin said..........
Be prepared, go when you want and enjoy it. I have started from Springer April 1, March 29, and June do not recall but mid month. I always enjoyed it but the April 1 was a really cold year. The March 29 I did not hit really bad weather until Clingmans when it rained-sleet-hail for 24 hours. Very miserable for a day or two. You can not ever tell the Smokies weather by date, nor the Whites.

DavidNH
07-25-2008, 17:13
WOW. Expect it to be cold in Georgia, possible snow or ice but not long lasting. I would expect some serious snow in the Smokies which you should hit sometime in early to mid March. May be southern, but you'll be 5000+ feet up!

DavidNH

double d
07-25-2008, 20:50
Interesting question, should an AT hiker bring an icepick for their Feb.1st start date?

SurferNerd
07-25-2008, 20:57
Haha, an ice pick. I'm leaving March 1, not to cold, and not warm enough. It's ahead of the BIG crowd by a few weeks, but I will still have plenty of company until it weeds out. I've met two hikers at REI that left February 1ish. One is in my opinion mentally insane, the other just wasn't prepared. The extra money in gear for cold weather isn't worth the advantage of leaving early.

double d
07-25-2008, 21:30
SurferNerd, there are folks who like to hike the AT around Feb.1st, but they have experience with winter hiking/camping, especially in mountain conditions. I hiked Springer Mt. in early Jan.,08, it was about 35 during the day and rainy, but I live in Northern Illinois (and lived in Colorado for many years as well) and I'm used to winter conditions like that.

SurferNerd
07-25-2008, 21:36
My comment wasn't designed negatively at all. The one gentleman was a true ultralight who wore Teva sandals and the same clothing set the entire trail. I found him a valuable source of information, but in a joking manner crazy for the way he went. The other was a lady who was over prepared, almost 40lbs of gear in a 6600cu pack. Another source of great information, esp in cooking. Both of them pretty much put me to the impression of not leaving too early. I've done several weekender in snow, but starting a huge trek for a month or more of it could hurt my morale.

double d
07-25-2008, 22:52
SurferNerd, I found nothing negative about your posts, they have been informative! Winter hiking/camping is great, just got to be ready. Saw a guy once wear ski goggles while he hiked in the winter, gave me a good idea to try that this winter, never gave it much thought before then, but the guy swears by his goggles, so I'm gonna try it. You said that you never stop learning, thats a great point to make.

rafe
07-25-2008, 22:56
SurferNerd, I found nothing negative about your posts, they have been informative! Winter hiking/camping is great, just got to be ready. Saw a guy once wear ski goggles while he hiked in the winter, gave me a good idea to try that this winter, never gave it much thought before then, but the guy swears by his goggles, so I'm gonna try it. You said that you never stop learning, thats a great point to make.

Ski goggles for a winter hike make perfect sense. Not only do they protect your eyes and face from wind-driven snow, but they keep it warmer. There's a reason that skiers use them when it's cold or snowing... ;) (For spring skiing on a sunny day, sunglasses will do...)

double d
07-25-2008, 23:06
Terrapin, your post is 100% correct, it was always my mistake to dismiss wearing goggles because I have in the past found them to be uncomfortable, but after speaking to this AT hiker, he made the same points that you just did, that goggles keeps your face warmer, protects the eyes much better from the elements and they don't add much weight to your pack when you don't want to wear them.

SurferNerd
07-26-2008, 13:40
On my many skiing trips, I've had my trusty Smith Optics Goggles with me at all times. It keeps the face warmer, it keeps the condensation out, and it prevents frozen tears (which OMG hurt). I would think it to be a great idea. But be careful of the weight, either constantly use it or send it home, my pair weighs about 11 ounces

Dazzy001
08-10-2008, 19:46
Just do your own thing, Remember its your hike do it your way and you'all have the most fun.... after all it Fun! right...

Dazzy001
08-10-2008, 19:51
Just do your own thing, remember it's your hike and it's suppost to be fun, Leave when your ready, You will know when the time is right..... Just belive in your self and not others as this will propell you to sucess...

DapperD
08-17-2008, 13:31
What does everyone think about leaving feb 1st. Is it a good idea or is there a better time to start? I think it is OK depending on different factors. If you are out of shape, have injuries, etc... and are going to be real slow going, then AOK. But you need to be equipped for the brutally cold conditions that may occur, and be prepared to high tail it into town if need be. I think that a mid to late February start (even March1st) is a better decision. You will still need the cold weather gear, etc...but as some have mentioned, I don't think one wants to arrive too early in New England states, otherwise you are almost handicapping yourself with possibly tougher conditions in the North.

KG4FAM
08-17-2008, 13:47
Wait a week so you can stop by the Blueberry Patch.

boarstone
08-17-2008, 13:51
Again...plan your start so you arrive when the ferry service is open and running for your assault on the Kennebec river. This is NOT a ford it's a swim and a long, frigg'n cold one! NOT/DO NOT attempt this! Spring here in Maine on this river is to be witnessed and only from the bank, if you can even get close enough. TJ has info on this that says the same as I've repeated here...

dmb658
08-17-2008, 15:34
i think it really depends on when you want to finish and how fast of a hiker you are. i started march 19th and took 4 1/2 months to thruhike and i ended up finishing up mid august. just do the math.

Pusher

budforester
08-17-2008, 20:33
Maybe wait a day; on Feb 2nd you can see what the groundhog predicts.