PDA

View Full Version : AT hikers

backpacker
07-22-2008, 00:28
Where should most of the hikers be right now on the trail? Where would they be in 2 weeks?

rafe
07-22-2008, 08:11
The northbounders are pretty well scattered between New Jersey and northern Maine, but the faster (fastest?) of the lot will be finishing soon, or have just finished. Assuming a July 1 start, the southbounders are probably in New Hampshire...

saimyoji
07-22-2008, 08:20
Still alot coming through PA right now. Yesterday I met at least 10 heading into Lehigh Gap.

John B
07-22-2008, 08:23
If they are averaging about 15 miles per day and don't take a zero, then they'd be about 210 miles from where they were two weeks prior.

buff_jeff
07-22-2008, 09:16
Still alot coming through PA right now. Yesterday I met at least 10 heading into Lehigh Gap.

Yeah, I was in the back of that group. I'd be right behind them, but my hike ended in Maryland. There are a solid amount in southern PA too still coming up.

Nomad94
07-22-2008, 10:26
Two goodly sized clumps just passed through Jersey this past weekend. Met some nice folks.

Terrapin-- saw a register entry you left last year about this time at Rutherford. Pretty little used with the hike down; good water in a dry spot, though. Needs a new register.

Blissful
07-22-2008, 11:17

Seems a little late (?). Could be the October crowd then to see who summits last.

I saw on trail journals quite a few in the NY /Ct area.

This time last year I was recovering from an ankle injury. But when I started again on July 28 I was outside Dalton, MA. Summited Sept 18.

rafe
07-22-2008, 11:27
Terrapin-- saw a register entry you left last year about this time at Rutherford.

Hmm. Refresh my memory, please... I don't recall a Rutherford shelter. :-?

I didn't hike in NJ last year. (I did NJ in 2006.) In '07 I started at Lehigh Gap and went sobo from there.

Jim Adams
07-22-2008, 11:32
Duncannon to Kent...the bubble.

geek

Nomad94
07-22-2008, 11:51
Hmm. Refresh my memory, please... I don't recall a Rutherford shelter. :-?

I didn't hike in NJ last year. (I did NJ in 2006.) In '07 I started at Lehigh Gap and went sobo from there.

Must have been another Terrapin.

Rutherford is between Mashipacong and High Point shelters-- pretty much straight down for a little less than half a mile. The less than ideal location is due to a re-route a few years back-- the shelter used to be a bit closer to the trail. It is a few miles from the Sunrise Pavilion.

A-Train
07-22-2008, 12:22
Seems a little late (?). Could be the October crowd then to see who summits last.

This time last year I was recovering from an ankle injury. But when I started again on July 28 I was outside Dalton, MA. Summited Sept 18.

I think most of the folks in Jersey will finish late September and early October. Usually takes 2-2.5 months from the DWG area to Katahdin.

From my RR days, I met a couple guys coming thru DWG as late as 8-15 who made it to Katahdin. 900 miles in 2 months isn't a lot if you are focused.

buff_jeff
07-22-2008, 12:51

The guys I know out there are squared away. They'll make it by mid-late September.

rafe
07-22-2008, 12:54
Must have been another Terrapin.

The nerve! :eek:

backpacker
07-22-2008, 13:27
What if any loops can I do in the water gap area that will include part of the AT for 20 miles or so. Looking to do 2 days and maybe camp out with some thruhikers. I don't know if maybe there would be a shuttle I could maybe catch back to my car as well and just do a straight through on the AT. Thanks.

Nomad94
07-22-2008, 14:47
What if any loops can I do in the water gap area that will include part of the AT for 20 miles or so. Looking to do 2 days and maybe camp out with some thruhikers. I don't know if maybe there would be a shuttle I could maybe catch back to my car as well and just do a straight through on the AT. Thanks.

The iris trail up by high point is 9 miles. Figure 8 layout. Crosses the AT multiple times with access to overnight parking, AT hiking and nearby shelters. http://www.localhikes.com/Hikes/High_point_5602.asp