PDA

View Full Version : Planning a 7-10 Day Hike

wtaron27
07-22-2008, 01:19
Hi

I'm planning on spending 7-10 days hiking the AT up in Maine or NH in the middle of August. I have never hiked the AT for more than a day hike, but have experience hiking and camping. I really don't know how many miles I should plan on covering each day or where I should go. I was originally planning to hike the last 100-120 miles up in Maine, ending on Katahdin, but now I'm considering going into NH instead. Any thoughts? I'm looking for a scenic region, but I have no problem going in a strenuous region also.

How many miles should I expect to cover each day? I am 20 years old and athletic, but haven't hiked with a big pack on before. I'm sure the first few days will quickly whip me into shape, but I don't know what to plan for. 10-12 miles a day? Is 15 or 20 a ridiculous distance? What is typically covered in those regions in NH/ME?

Thanks a lot

boarstone
07-22-2008, 06:55
Depends on where you'll be hiking, if your going to attempt the "100 mile wilderness" here in Maine, figure 8-10 per day. It's rugged, rocky, a couple of river crossings(now low, between mid-calf/knee high) Try to figure where you want to go first, if you want to "see stuff". The Whites may give you more visual, Maine more solitude, lower elevation, you'll have company w/nobo'ders coming thru. Don't try to push yourself to the point you stop enjoying your hike. The wilderness has many beautiful water falls, streams, flora and fauna, lakes, ponds, mt. tops w/great views.:)

Homer&Marje
07-22-2008, 07:29
Well, at the risk of sounding redundant um I'm leaving for Franconia ridge in NH tomorrow, it is probably the most scenic part of the AT, If you want a milestone you can go from Franconia Ridge (Super easy to get to hence all the day hikers) and work your way to Mt Washington. Keep it to 8-10 miles a day and you should be good, lots of peaks over 4k and 5k. (Also my first experience on the AT)

Lone Wolf
07-22-2008, 07:32
Hi

I'm planning on spending 7-10 days hiking the AT up in Maine or NH in the middle of August. I have never hiked the AT for more than a day hike, but have experience hiking and camping. I really don't know how many miles I should plan on covering each day or where I should go. I was originally planning to hike the last 100-120 miles up in Maine, ending on Katahdin, but now I'm considering going into NH instead. Any thoughts? I'm looking for a scenic region, but I have no problem going in a strenuous region also.

How many miles should I expect to cover each day? I am 20 years old and athletic, but haven't hiked with a big pack on before. I'm sure the first few days will quickly whip me into shape, but I don't know what to plan for. 10-12 miles a day? Is 15 or 20 a ridiculous distance? What is typically covered in those regions in NH/ME?

Thanks a lot10-12 per day. start in Glencliff, N.H. and end in Gorham, N.H about 120 miles. that's all of the Whites

Homer&Marje
07-22-2008, 07:38
I just looked at the guide book, and turns out that doesn't incorporate enough miles if you want to do about 100, it's only about 35 but you could A. do an out and back or B. start in Hanover at Dartmouth College and do about 105 miles. Either way it's a fantastic trip so have fun

rafe
07-22-2008, 08:07
Anywhere from 8-12 miles per day at the start, for the Whites or southern Maine. This region represents some of the toughest (and most rewarding) hiking on the AT -- just so you know.

You could start at Hanover or Gorham or anywhere in between. I'd suggest starting in Gorham -- primarily to avoid most of the crowds, and have more freedom to camp where you please. (Your daily hike won't be constrained so much by locations of shelters and huts.) You have town stops and resupply points in Andover, Rangeley and Stratton.

CT5150
07-28-2008, 23:02
I'll be hiking The Whites for the first time in early August. What kind of weather extremes should I prepare for?

Bare Bear
07-28-2008, 23:09
May I suggest if you do the Wilderness, stop at Abol Bridge. DO NOT GO UP TO KATAHDIN. Save it for a thru some day. I do not recall who told me that when I was 19 and did my first 500 mile section on the AT but when I did thru I was so glad to be going up K for the first time. I always stopped at Abol Bridge the three times I did the Wilderness as parts of other sections.

rafe
07-28-2008, 23:28
I'll be hiking The Whites for the first time in early August. What kind of weather extremes should I prepare for?

Well, almost any kind of weather is possible on the high ridges. You could have a sunny, gorgeous day, or you could have fog, and/or wind-driven cold rain. Snow and sleet are rather unlikely, but not impossible. You need to be prepared for almost anything, above treeline.