PDA

View Full Version : Poor hikers in vT right now..gotta be WET!

DavidNH
07-22-2008, 08:24
We in the northeast have been having showers and T stroms almost daily. I heard on news today VT could see a half foot of rain in the next several days. Can you say M U D D Y ?!

Doesn't seem like a fun time for thru hikers.
On the subject.. how have conditions been over all on the trail? wet, dry, normal?

DavidNH

Lone Wolf
07-22-2008, 08:25
dry in virginia

buff_jeff
07-22-2008, 09:13
It was pretty average in northern Virginia a week ago. We got rained on once between Wayne's World and Harper's Ferry coming down Mary's Rock. It rained all through the night then. When I left the trail in Maryland there was rain forecasted, but I was never there to find out.

rafe
07-22-2008, 10:25
We in the northeast have been having showers and T stroms almost daily. I heard on news today VT could see a half foot of rain in the next several days. Can you say M U D D Y ?!

We've had almost daily T-storms here in eastern MA but they're almost always brief and violent. The total accumulation isn't much, it seems to me. (I haven't been out hiking yet this summer, though.)

Blissful
07-22-2008, 11:25
Yeah it's probably muddy for sure. It wasn't bad at all when we were there last year (Maine was on par for mud). We had two days of rain off and on. We actually liked VT very much but I hear hikers are hating it this year (?).

Footslogger
07-22-2008, 11:27
I can empathise ...

'Slogger

Sly
07-22-2008, 11:34
IMO, it's too early to be in VT. If a hiker finishes much before October they missed out on one of New England's finest attractions, autumn.

A-Train
07-22-2008, 11:37
I can empathise ...

'Slogger

Yeah, a week of showers isn't a big deal :) right slogger?

Yukon
07-22-2008, 11:59
IMO, it's too early to be in VT. If a hiker finishes much before October they missed out on one of New England's finest attractions, autumn.

Exactly, I'd rather come through the northeast a little later to enjoy the autumn foliage...

LIhikers
07-23-2008, 06:22
.. how have conditions been over all on the trail? wet, dry, normal?

DavidNH

Last weekend I hiked NY route 17 to 17a and the only water to be had was left in bottles at road crossing.

Homer&Marje
07-23-2008, 07:04
Going to do Franconia Ridge, It can rain on me all 5 days I just need 5 good hours to do the ridge... IS THAT CLEAR OH WEATHER COMPTROLLER?:D