PDA

View Full Version : Section Hike of SNP: NOBO or SOBO?

longneck
07-22-2008, 10:40
Hi All,
First post, yippee.

I'm planning on doing a weeklong hike of the AT through Shenandoah National Park, probably in September. I've done a lot of backpacking there, mostly overnights, but I've never actually spent much time on the AT itself.

So, stupid question: should I do it northbound, or southbound? I know, I know, I'll see the same stuff either way, but is there some subtle reason why one is more preferable over the other?

Thanks!

Lyle
07-22-2008, 10:48
I've hike SNP several times through the years. I always end up going NOBO, no particular reason, guess I'm just a traditionalist.:)

The park is a relatively easy area, well graded. I can think of no compelling reason to hike one way or the other. Might hook up with other hikers easier if you go NOBO.

Pedaling Fool
07-22-2008, 10:53
I thru-hiked it three times, twice NOBO and once SOBO. The park is so well graded I can't tell the difference, just doesn't seem to matter.

Cookerhiker
07-22-2008, 10:58
Welcome to WhiteBlaze. Your question isn't stupid at all.

In 30+ years, I've covered every inch of the AT in Shenandoah, some several times over but all in day or 1-2 night hikes, not a weeklong backpack. I don't think it really matter which way, NOBO or SOBO, especially if your northernmost point is Compton Gap, the last AT crossing of Skyline Drive.

I will point out that if you want to literally hike all of SNP (not just between the northernmost and southermost crossings of Skyline Drive but using Rt. 522 as your northernmost point), than hiking south means you start with a net 1,500' gain uphill from Rt. 522 to the ridgeline or end with such downhill if hiking north. It's really a 2,000' gross gain. So it depends on whether you enjoy uphills more than downhills and if you really want to start with the largest elevation gain of your entire hike on the first day.

Blissful
07-22-2008, 11:21
Welcome to White Blaze from a fellow Virginian. And no question is stupid. :)

Shenandoah is a great park to backpack. I was up there yesteday doing the Rockytop circuit with TONS of blueberries and a little black bear having a feast.

I like doing the park NOBO also, but it really doesn't matter. Have fun!

longneck
07-22-2008, 21:09
Thanks for the advice, everyone! Northbound it is!

I just discovered Whiteblaze, and I have to say, you guys are awesome. Cya on the trails!