PDA

View Full Version : AT Maps

loansome walker
02-29-2004, 06:13
Anyone know where I can get used or new maps for the AT trail for under the 300 dollars the AT store wants this just seems expensive. Do I even need the maps? Thanks in advance Ps has anyone seen the mapdannas and are they worth having for the map part? :datz This will be me if I have to spend $300.00 on maps.

celt
02-29-2004, 06:50
Loansome

Your <$300 limit sounded a little high so I went to the ATC's store and found they are selling the entire set of AT maps for $195.20:

http://www.atctrailstore.org/catalog/iteminfo.cfm?itemid=190&compid=1

For a $30 ATC membership the cost of the same set is $156.05

The map bandanas are a novelty item and not meant for navigation.
Also the trail is well blazed for the most part and every year hikers make it from Maine to Georgia without maps. They are useful though for planning your daily hikes (i.e. elevation gain and loss and where water might be) and in an emergency you can find side trails that lead more directly to a road for help. Hikers without maps often end up asking to look at other hikers maps.

azchipka
02-29-2004, 06:53
Anyone know where I can get used or new maps for the AT trail for under the 300 dollars the AT store wants this just seems expensive. Do I even need the maps? Thanks in advance Ps has anyone seen the mapdannas and are they worth having for the map part? :datz This will be me if I have to spend $300.00 on maps.

There are all kinds of better ways to get your maps then spend that amount of money on them. Here are a couple other options.

Since you have a computer look into the topo map applications like
TOPO by national geographics
Delurome Topo
or Map Send by Magellian

all of these apps will also work with a wide range of GPS units.

weary
02-29-2004, 10:17
Loansome

Your <$300 limit sounded a little high so I went to the ATC's store and found they are selling the entire set of AT maps for $195.20:

http://www.atctrailstore.org/catalog/iteminfo.cfm?itemid=190&compid=1

For a $30 ATC membership the cost of the same set is $156.05

For those planning future trips, ATC offers the maps and books at a discount between Thanksgiving and Christmas each year.

The books aren't essential, but they aid in planning and I find them valuable for checking trail details that have faded from memory. Though the trail is well marked, I think the maps are very valuable additions to any thru hike. Aside from safety and emergency escape considerations, the maps tell you something about the trail complex -- the names of mountains, where you are at any moment, the name of the town one sees in the valley from a high overlook ....

For many hikers, the trail becomes a chore after awhile, something to be completed as quickly and as easily as possible. The reason, I suspect, is that they are not engaged with the environment around them. I think those with an interest in what they are seeing, be it distant mountains, or the plants, flowers, bugs, amphibians and wildlife, are more likely to enjoy their walk, and probably more likely to finish.

Weary

jec6613
03-02-2004, 04:41
You could purchase a slew of USGS maps yourself from their online store at $7 each. The 1:250,000 scale maps are probably the best as they cover 69.1 miles north to south (they're one degree latitude by two degress longitude, so the width of each map is variable), although you'd need quite a few of these (I'm guessing upwards of forty, which brings it pretty close to the $300 you were talking about earlier) or you could get state maps (14 of them) and some 1:250,000 maps for more important areas such as the Whites, the termini and anywhere else you would want. The biggest advantage of USGS maps though is that you KNOW they can be held in a standard map case or protective map cover for use with grese pencils, allowing you to track yourself during the day to write in your log at night, and I have no idea if this is the case with the ATC maps.

celt
03-02-2004, 07:21
You could purchase a slew of USGS maps.

Many of the ATC's maps of the A.T. (actually I think they are products of the regional maintaining clubs) are pieced together from USGS topo maps and the one that aren't are topographical maps of similar quality for the most part. The maps are printed on a weather resistant paper and vary in size but are generally no larger than a USGS 7 1/2 minute series map. They're pre-folded and when folded are much handier than a 7 1/2 minute map. Many of the maps also have been enhanced for the hiker by highlighting water sources, shelters, side trails and the A.T. itself. Finding the route of the A.T. on some of the USGS's maps can be hard because the data is old. The trail is frequently relocated so what is labeled as the A.T. on a USGS map may no longer be the trail today.

Peaks
03-02-2004, 09:17
I doubt that the USGS maps are as up to date as the ATC maps are. It probably does not show recent trail relocations, like possibly within 20 years or so.

statler
03-02-2004, 09:39
I doubt that the USGS maps are as up to date as the ATC maps are. It probably does not show recent trail relocations, like possibly within 20 years or so.

ATC purchases its maps from MapTech, which has the most recent mapping of the AT available anywhere. At $50, MapTech's set is the best that I've found, and includes all maps & ATC trailguides, plus extra trail notes and pictures.

http://www.maptech.com/land/appalachiantrail/index.cfm

weary
03-02-2004, 10:26
ATC purchases its maps from MapTech, which has the most recent mapping of the AT available anywhere. http://www.maptech.com/land/appalachiantrail/index.cfm

I doubt very much if this is true. In the beginning, at least, just the opposite was true. MapTech approached ATC about using it's maps and trail descriptions. MATC debated at length whether to cooperate with MapTech. The worry was that it would cut into the sale of our maps and guide, which is an important source of funds for the club.

Managing a 275-mile trail is not easy. Nor is it inexpensive. Dues from our 600 members brings in about $9,000. Our annual budget this year will run around $150,000. The difference is made up in donations, relatively small grants from the National Park Service, minor help from the state Bureau of Parks and Lands, (we essentially are the on the ground managers of the state's Bigelow Preserve) and from the sale of guide books and maps, and a few miscelaneous items.

Weary

azchipka
03-02-2004, 10:52
Lonesome and anyone else for that matter I will be more then happy to give you updated maps, printed on standard paper in exchange for the following:

You provide proof of a $50.00 donation to the ATC and $10.00 to whiteblaze or $60.00 donation to The Park Law Enforcement Association, or a $75.00 donation to the Green Mountain Club of Vermont or a $100.00 donation to any other AT Trail club.

In addition a $10.00 charge will be required to cover the cost of ink, $15.00 if you want the maps in color. If you want the maps on water proof paper a additional charge of $25.00 will be required to cover the cost of paper.

You can get them from me at the start of the trail on the morning of the 28th or at the Hiker Hostel on the 27th. I will also happly ship them to where ever you want if you provide a meathod of shipping (UPS or fedex).

The costs listed above are designed only to cover what it costs me to print the maps and the donantions required are to ensure the continued support of the AT. Donation amounts are based on the importance of support for me. Donation must be made following your request to me, and can not be used from a donation made in the past.

You are not purchasing the maps they are being given to you for free. Please be aware that your donation to any of these groups is a tax write off as they are all non-profits.

Basicly this allows you to get any maps you want for as little as $70.00, maps will include all shelters, the trail, and other points of interest (such as water sources and things of that nature). If you prefer the maps can also be recieved in digital pdf format with out any cost to me. Which means you only have to make the donation.

If you contact me soon enough before i hit the trail i would also be willing to put together custom trail reports for your journey that includes information on the shelters and areas you plan on being in. Much more details for the national parks as well, but for that you will have to contact me and we can figure out a donation amount based on what you want put together.

statler
03-02-2004, 16:45
I doubt very much if this is true. In the beginning, at least, just the opposite was true. MapTech approached ATC about using it's maps and trail descriptions. MATC debated at length whether to cooperate with MapTech. The worry was that it would cut into the sale of our maps and guide, which is an important source of funds for the club.

'Fraid it's true. Now the arrangement is ATC supplies the guides, and MapTech updates the maps. MapTech does not offer print maps (except by special order, and not the guides.) MapTech's offering does compete with ATC CD trail maps, but this is going to be resolved shortly...

A-Train
03-02-2004, 17:04
azchipka,

If you're so concerned about the money being donated to the ATC or Trail groups, why wouldn't you just by the maps thru the ATC, which then profits a very worthy organization, thus saving yourself the time and effort to produce maps which will not be as accurate as those already sitting on the shelves at the ATC. Even if you were able to get the most up to date route of the Trail, you would still be missing the profile maps with elevations. If you are indeed someone interested in having maps (which I think everyone should have) then you might as well support the ATC. Its a small price to pay for knowing where you are, and being able to better enjoy your trip IMO. If price is truly an issue, many folks sell their older maps for discounted prices online, as well as the ATC's annual christmas sale.

jec6613
03-02-2004, 17:38
Depending on the series the USGS maps do include water source information and the trail is up to date as of the printing date (usually only a few years old at most in the case of AT maps since there is quite alot of change and many surveyors sending updates to the USGS all the time due to the population density), especially the 60x120 series (1:250,000) which were made by the Army originally. The 30x60 (1:100,000) and 7.5 quadrangle maps are, of course, better, being derived from the 1:250,000 series but with additional detail, but then there's the issue of weight.

You could just purchase the CD and USGS maps seperately and mark them up yourself, of course, and this would certainly get you the best maps, but there is the cost issue.

azchipka
03-02-2004, 17:53
azchipka,

If you're so concerned about the money being donated to the ATC or Trail groups, why wouldn't you just by the maps thru the ATC, which then profits a very worthy organization, thus saving yourself the time and effort to produce maps which will not be as accurate as those already sitting on the shelves at the ATC. Even if you were able to get the most up to date route of the Trail, you would still be missing the profile maps with elevations. If you are indeed someone interested in having maps (which I think everyone should have) then you might as well support the ATC. Its a small price to pay for knowing where you are, and being able to better enjoy your trip IMO. If price is truly an issue, many folks sell their older maps for discounted prices online, as well as the ATC's annual christmas sale.

A-train,

I was offering to do it for people based on the fact that with all the others costs of the hike, the map costs is a bit much for some people to handle. The ATC maps are most likely better, this just people a little bit cheaper way to go, and its not talking away from the ATC at all because its not like im running around selling them on the street or in the stores, and its only because i am making them for myself anyways. So its not really taking me any additional time and the effort is that of pushing print on the computer, not something that i have a huge struggle with. What makes you think they are missing elevation and profile reports? Those are standard on any topo computer program these days. As far as being current. The trail listed on the map is based off of the GPS postitioning by the National Park Service, so ya its just as current as the information everyone else is using granted the changes the ATC makes this summer wont be on there but i have a feeling they arnt on the maps anyone has.

As far as supporting the ATC that is just what im doing, note the requirement to an ATC trail club? Not everyone was making there plans for the AT at christmas, i know my plans didnt start till january, and as you said yourself old maps are outdated.

I was attempting to do a favor to those who couldnt afford new maps with current info, so i dont have to get beeped on my radio and told to go find some thru-hiker who got lost because they went with out maps cause the couldnt afford the full set.

Sorry you took it differently.

loansome walker
03-09-2004, 01:45
This sounds like it might work but what is the quaility of the maps like could you email me one to look at I will print it hear and see if it is suitable. Also how many maps will I end up having?
Lonesome and anyone else for that matter I will be more then happy to give you updated maps, printed on standard paper in exchange for the following:

You provide proof of a $50.00 donation to the ATC and $10.00 to whiteblaze or $60.00 donation to The Park Law Enforcement Association, or a $75.00 donation to the Green Mountain Club of Vermont or a $100.00 donation to any other AT Trail club.

In addition a $10.00 charge will be required to cover the cost of ink, $15.00 if you want the maps in color. If you want the maps on water proof paper a additional charge of $25.00 will be required to cover the cost of paper.

You can get them from me at the start of the trail on the morning of the 28th or at the Hiker Hostel on the 27th. I will also happly ship them to where ever you want if you provide a meathod of shipping (UPS or fedex).

The costs listed above are designed only to cover what it costs me to print the maps and the donantions required are to ensure the continued support of the AT. Donation amounts are based on the importance of support for me. Donation must be made following your request to me, and can not be used from a donation made in the past.

You are not purchasing the maps they are being given to you for free. Please be aware that your donation to any of these groups is a tax write off as they are all non-profits.

Basicly this allows you to get any maps you want for as little as $70.00, maps will include all shelters, the trail, and other points of interest (such as water sources and things of that nature). If you prefer the maps can also be recieved in digital pdf format with out any cost to me. Which means you only have to make the donation.

If you contact me soon enough before i hit the trail i would also be willing to put together custom trail reports for your journey that includes information on the shelters and areas you plan on being in. Much more details for the national parks as well, but for that you will have to contact me and we can figure out a donation amount based on what you want put together.