PDA

View Full Version : Comfy Hiking Pants?

sweetpeastu
07-22-2008, 17:27
Do any of you FEMALES know of a brand of comfy hiking pants that fit people with curves?

I have a few north face things that ...will do...but I find that they're not comfortable. I wouldn't mind a pair of pants that had more leg room.

I've tried several pairs of pants on and I'd try my usual size to find that they're too small....so I'd go up to the next size and it looked like I was trying to wear my Dad's pants! I'm having a hard time finding anything that fits...

If you have ideas, I'd appreciate hearing them. I thought about wearing athletic pants instead, but I find that most of them are cotton....

meghan
07-22-2008, 17:58
i have the same problem! i wear athletic pants from lands end. they are cute, colorful, super comfy and they are wicking! landsend.com. try them i love love love them!

Aussie922
07-22-2008, 18:06
Which Land's End pants do you recommend? They have so many...

I have a pair of Columbia pants that look like these:
http://www.rei.com/product/762099?preferredSku=7620990106&cm_mmc=cse_froogle-_-datafeed-_-product-_-na&mr:trackingCode=6A56A543-5157-DD11-98CA-001422107090&mr:referralID=NA
except they're nylon. Very comfy and lightweight, plus I got them for like $20 at REI's summer sale :)
I have more of a problem with pant length than curves, as I'm 5'10" and its hard to find pants (other than jeans) in long sizes.

Cuffs
07-22-2008, 18:11
I have Columbia. I have to different styles and they do fit properly. Surprising!

meghan
07-22-2008, 18:20
they are called performance sport pants item #19090-3ak6 AND they come in tall.

Hammock Hanger
07-22-2008, 18:54
Do any of you FEMALES know of a brand of comfy hiking pants that fit people with curves?

I have a few north face things that ...will do...but I find that they're not comfortable. I wouldn't mind a pair of pants that had more leg room.

I've tried several pairs of pants on and I'd try my usual size to find that they're too small....so I'd go up to the next size and it looked like I was trying to wear my Dad's pants! I'm having a hard time finding anything that fits...

If you have ideas, I'd appreciate hearing them. I thought about wearing athletic pants instead, but I find that most of them are cotton....

I am a diehard skirt wearing hiker. That said when I was hiking on the GET last year a friend from AL loaned me a pair of his pants. I feel in love with them and never gave them back. Once it got really hot I did switch back to my skirt but if and when I have to wear pants this are the bomb!!

http://www.railriders.com/men-new-flat-front-weatherpants-p-934.html?cPath=104_110 The men's have a nice fit for me as I am slim in the hips but thick in the waist and they come in SHORT!! Expensive but well worth it as they will last forever.

Bear Cables
07-22-2008, 20:25
I have two pair of Hind shorts. They ride low on the waist, very light weight quick drying material and a built in panty that's not mesh. They also have a short inseam which I like.

Blissful
07-22-2008, 20:40
I tell you I never had luck with Columbia or Lands End pants for some reason. They never fit me right. That is why I was so glad to find a pair of Royal Robbins convertible zip and go pants while on my hike last year at Neels Gap. Since then I have ordered more in dfferent sizes (Sierra Trading Post had them for half off a few months back). Love them.

Aussie922
07-22-2008, 20:44
they are called performance sport pants item #19090-3ak6 AND they come in tall.

Thank you. I'll definitely be ordering a pair :)

Blissful
07-22-2008, 20:51
If you have a Sears store nearby you could probably try the Lands End pants on there. Sears sells Lands End.

Lucinda
07-23-2008, 06:45
I've been using the Campmor zip off pants for years. They are very roomy and inexpensive. They are lightweight nylon and dry quickly when wet.

I always wear pants when hiking, even if it's really hot. There are too many brambles, chiggers, etc. that I want to avoid.

Clingy, nylon shorts just seem too hot to me.

Mrs Baggins
07-23-2008, 06:57
I stick with the REI Sahara zip-off pants. They are the ONLY brand I've found that come in Petite and really are Petite in length. Too many brands that claim to be "petite" are still several inches too long. I'm only 4' 10" so it's really hard to find the right length. I have 5 pairs of them and take them for overseas travel as well. I can wash them out in a sink, hang them overnight, and they're completely dry in the morning.

Lillianp
07-23-2008, 08:26
I have a pair I got from EMS a year or two ago now. I don't know the brand off the top of my head and unfortunately, they're in Mass while I'm in DC. However, they're pretty awesome-zip off and waterproof (pretty much sat on the puddle that was the tent platform and no wetness got through the pants). They were a little tight in the seat/thigh area but I believe its because I'd put on weight after buying them. Now i"ve lost it and I'll have to check at some point.

Cuffs
07-23-2008, 09:43
Hmm, what Im seeing is that we all need to just keep trying on every pair til we find the right one! too funny!

yappy
07-23-2008, 11:48
royal robbins make good and comfy zips as well the patagonia ultra lite baggies were AMAZING.. but they don't make them anymore.. alas.

meghan
07-24-2008, 17:05
Thank you. I'll definitely be ordering a pair :)

good!! you will love them.... i hope:D

JAK
07-25-2008, 01:50
royal robbins make good and comfy zips as well the patagonia ultra lite baggies were AMAZING.. but they don't make them anymore.. alas.I am looking for the same style in Men's, and in wool, not too heavy. Also not too long, but more than halfway down the ankle, with a button or snap cuff so I could pull them over shoes or boots if I need to pull my shoes or boots on before getting up to put my pants on. Also wear them uncuffed to stay a bit cooler. This would be a Fall/Winter/Spring affair, escpecially winter including ski touring. I like a loose weave that the wind can blow through, with the option to pull a light packable nylon wind layer on over. I can picture then in my mind but can't find them anywhere. I bought a pair years ago for my sister. I'm pretty sure they were Royal Robbins. I may have to have a pair made. Not sure what would be best for a lining around the belt and pockets, avoiding cotton so they will dry faster. Maybe something is out there.

Red Hat
07-25-2008, 17:05
My Columbia pants were very comfortable, but apparently too light weight. The backside gave out sliding down the boulders at Katahdin... Duck tape held them together about one day, but didn't last. I need to find a new pair of pants... now I'm using my hiking skirt (over boxers). But I'll need something for cold and bugs...

tx.katie.finch
08-30-2008, 00:24
I absolutely love my REI brand zip-aways! They're comfortable and roomy without having too much extra fabric! They didn't take too well to high-heat in the dryer, but they're still wear-able.

Sleeps_With_Skunks
09-08-2008, 02:46
I love my REI sahara zip off legs. I had to go to the mens section though. the womens have a tendency to be too snug in the hip area for me...so I got some mens ones and haven't had a problem yet.

Captn
09-08-2008, 07:36
For more leg room, you might try a pair of lightweight shorts or even a kilt to hike in in warm weather ... then try a pair of Serria Designs microlight rain pants for cooler weather .... the pair I have seem to have large legs and a very adjustable waist.

Now back to your regularly scheduled programing.:D

Jason of the Woods
09-08-2008, 09:16
I'm not a female but I recommend a kilt. I prefer it to pants so long as it's above freezing.

Erin
09-08-2008, 23:16
Good question. I am short and curvy so I have Columbia and North Face. I have to roll them up or tuck them in the boots since I am short. Not alot of choices here in the mid west and I won't buy pants unless I can try them on. But I am seeing some very good suggestions on this thread.
I really prefer the L and R tabs on zipoffs though, to figure out which leg goes on which leg. Noth face has those tabs. I need the tabs. I really need those R and L tabs when it is dark or getting cold. I wear bifocals and just don't get the zipper deal otherwise. Ziiiiip....wrong leg...crap. Ziiiip...wong leg again,.. crap. You get the picture.