PDA

View Full Version : wow this is great!

meghan
07-22-2008, 18:30
i cant believe i've never seen this female hiking forum before! i think its so great to have girls who i can ask questions or just talk about hinking with. all my girlfriends think im crazy! they just dont understand my ture love for being outside and all the pain that comes with hiking. yay! im stoked:banana

Cuffs
07-22-2008, 18:47
welcome to the party!

Hammock Hanger
07-22-2008, 18:48
i cant believe i've never seen this female hiking forum before! i think its so great to have girls who i can ask questions or just talk about hinking with. all my girlfriends think im crazy! they just dont understand my ture love for being outside and all the pain that comes with hiking. yay! im stoked:banana

Welcome.

Lilred
07-23-2008, 01:20
:welcome to Whiteblaze. We'll talk about anything on here.

Trillium
07-23-2008, 07:05
all my girlfriends think im crazy! they just dont understand my ture love for being outside and all the pain that comes with hiking.Welcome Meghan! I'm in the same boat as you but I'd rather be on the trail braving the challenges than safe and bored back at home.

Mrs Baggins
07-23-2008, 08:25
Welcome!:sun Same here........I have few friends who get what I do and why, and they're all hikers. I was at my eye doctor yesterday and when I told him what I do he just kept laughing.....and laughing.......and laughing..........:(

Lillianp
07-23-2008, 08:28
I don't understand why people laugh? Perhaps its the people I know, but most of my close friends are ok with it. They may not do it themselves, but they're cool. I have friends at home I backpack with once in a while. My parents are really cool with it. But I knew they would be. They backpacked in the Alps as a honeymoon. :D

By the way, Welcome to White Blaze!:welcome
Em

Cuffs
07-23-2008, 09:42
I get the shock and open mouth gape from my dentist and his staff. I had asked the hygienist for extra mini toothpastes and she asked why... so I explained... 'you do what? for how long? Why?'

dixicritter
07-23-2008, 10:31
Glad you found us Meghan. :)

Blissful
07-23-2008, 11:05
We outdoorsy girls gotta stick together. :)

cowboy nichols
07-23-2008, 11:25
Welcome!! When I was young (the stone age) I was called a tomboy,Later several unpleasent things, now I'm just that crazy old lady that disapears into the wood for unknown reasons. When people ask me why I hike I exclaim I raised 10 kids where do you think I could hide? I think all women should at least try a hike once and maybe they like it or not . I don't like to shop but I tried it once. LOL

Dancer
07-23-2008, 12:43
Welcome Meghan! Don't neglect the rest of the forums while enjoying this one. The guys here are very helpful and encouraging too.

Lucinda
07-23-2008, 19:00
Greetings, Sista!!

The group has been a little quite lately....maybe we've all been hiking instead of at our pcs!

Now that we have a new one on board, let's liven the place up!

Cuffs
07-23-2008, 23:35
It ain't a party til the girls arrive!

Lillianp
07-24-2008, 08:31
That...is very true! :sun Now would be the time to dance. Yet this is an internet forum so that's not really possible!

meghan
07-24-2008, 16:56
thanks ladies, im happy i found yall!
in FL it is soooo hot no one wants to go outside. i have no girlfriends to hike with just my rockin dad! and we are new to hiking, we have only been doing it for about a year and a half. so all your info will be great!

i'm so crazy in love with hiking i'm trying to plan a 2 week trip on the AT as my honeymoon.... the groom to be is NOT a hiker but i think i have him almost about to say yes! he wants to go on a cruise, blah

thanks again for the welcome!

Marta
07-24-2008, 17:48
in FL it is soooo hot no one wants to go outside. i have no girlfriends to hike with just my rockin dad! and we are new to hiking, we have only been doing it for about a year and a half. so all your info will be great!

i'm so crazy in love with hiking i'm trying to plan a 2 week trip on the AT as my honeymoon.... the groom to be is NOT a hiker but i think i have him almost about to say yes! he wants to go on a cruise, blah

Meghan--There are some really amazing places to hike that have better weather and better views than the AT...if you're wanting to do something during your honeymoon that might hook your new spouse on hiking. Yosemite National Park is amazing. Actually, every national park I've been to is pretty amazing. A cute cabin, with comfy accomodations and a shower...

meghan
07-24-2008, 18:36
thank you so much, i'll look into that!

Lillianp
07-24-2008, 21:05
I really liked Arches National Park. I'm not sure what type of options for hotels/whatnot, but there's definitely camping and its in the desert and its GORGEOUS, it has some hiking, but its not incredibly intensive. Something like that might work. Canyonlands is relatively nearby as well (I think-the last time I was there I was 14), and its very nice.

Lucinda
07-24-2008, 21:06

That is so cool that you and your dad are discovering this new passion together! What a great bonding experience. You will have wonderful memories to last the rest of your life.

Don't worry about the groom...over time you may inspire him to follow you :)

My guy is just getting into it now and appreciates all the help I give him. I think it's important to find out what he'll enjoy, and make sure you throw that into the mix. For example, my guy loves to use the map and compass, find creative ways to set up the bear bag, etc...anything that involves solving a problem, fixing something or improving it. He also loves finding snakes, viewing bears, etc...so I make sure he has opportunities to do all the things he likes. He likes to slow down and really enjoy nature so it's great because I tend to want to go faster, but I like being forced to slow down. I'm very lucky :)

Cuffs
07-24-2008, 23:05
Len Foote Hike Inn in north GA, or Mt Leconte in TN... Hiking and nice accomodations!

Lucinda
07-24-2008, 23:28
It's too bad there is no real inn-to-inn hiking around here. I had a fantastic 16-day trip a few years ago when I hiked the West Highland Way and Great Glen Way in Scotland. I think that would be an incredible honeymoon trip. It was really a series of day hikes, since I had all my accommodations (mostly charming, modest B&Bs) booked in advance and my baggage sent forward to my next destination each day.

As you can imagine, the scenery was incredible and it was a great opportunity to interact with the locals and see how they live. There were others, mostly European, who were doing the same thing, so I got to meet people from all over the world. Not to mention, it was fun to head into the little pubs at lunch for a good meal and a beer along the way :)

Cuffs
07-24-2008, 23:31
Meghan! I wish we met a few years ago! I lived in the Tampa area for almost 20 years! (Brandon and Wesley Chapel!)

rafe
07-24-2008, 23:46
It's too bad there is no real inn-to-inn hiking around here. I had a fantastic 16-day trip a few years ago when I hiked the West Highland Way and Great Glen Way in Scotland. I think that would be an incredible honeymoon trip. It was really a series of day hikes, since I had all my accommodations (mostly charming, modest B&Bs) booked in advance and my baggage sent forward to my next destination each day.

As you can imagine, the scenery was incredible and it was a great opportunity to interact with the locals and see how they live. There were others, mostly European, who were doing the same thing, so I got to meet people from all over the world. Not to mention, it was fun to head into the little pubs at lunch for a good meal and a beer along the way :)

Inn-to-inn is more of a European tradition, and a good one, at that. But we Americans have to "improve" it, you know, and turn walking into a grueling marathon. ;) My wife and I did a few day hikes on the Coastal Path in south-western England. She loved it. Easy walking, incredible views, and never too far from an inn or a pub.

Lucinda
07-25-2008, 00:00
Inn-to-inn is more of a European tradition, and a good one, at that. But we Americans have to "improve" it, you know, and turn walking into a grueling marathon. ;) My wife and I did a few day hikes on the Coastal Path in south-western England. She loved it. Easy walking, incredible views, and never too far from an inn or a pub.

Yes, I love the more relaxed European attitude -- they really know how to live.

One of the hikers I met along the way was Fred, an English guy, 80 years old, tall and lanky and a very fast hiker. He had a checklist of all the good pubs and would announce to everyone along the way where the happening pub would be that evening. I also met another Englishman, a 90-year-old guy shuffling his way on the rocky trail next to Loch Lomond. He mentioned that every year he heads up to the West Highland Way to hike another section. Truly inspiring.

Bear Cables
07-26-2008, 19:05

My groom of 32 is NOT a hiker and barely a camper ( we have an airconditioned pop up camper for golf/camp weekends ...better than nothing) But, he totally gets that I hike. I camped as a kid and then 12 years ago, when the boys were boy scouts I was introduced to backpacking and I've never looked back. I have had the great fun of teaching teen girls to hike as well. My darling husband has no problem with my leaving him for days at a time to go to the mountains with my hiking girlfriends.

saimyoji
07-26-2008, 20:55
I get the shock and open mouth gape from my dentist and his staff. I had asked the hygienist for extra mini toothpastes and she asked why... so I explained... 'you do what? for how long? Why?'

did you get the same reaction from you ob/gyn? :eek:

It ain't a party til the girls arrive!

you said it :banana

****all TOnGUE in cheek*****

Cuffs
07-26-2008, 22:19
did you get the same reaction from you ob/gyn? :eek:

****all TOnGUE in cheek*****

I suppose I would have if I had asked for spare mini toothpaste, but then if I did ask, I suppose we'd be talking about why toothpaste from her and not a dentist...

Blissful
07-27-2008, 16:56
Meghan--There are some really amazing places to hike that have better weather and better views than the AT...if you're wanting to do something during your honeymoon that might hook your new spouse on hiking. Yosemite National Park is amazing. Actually, every national park I've been to is pretty amazing. A cute cabin, with comfy accomodations and a shower...

This is a great idea. Yosemite also has a fancy hotel there too if you want to splurge on something nice. And nice wanders to some of the falls.

Cuffs
07-27-2008, 20:07
The main entrance to Yosemite is being approached by fires... not sure of your intended dates, but check first!

Fenway7
10-12-2008, 22:23
I agree! I am new to the site and plan on hiking NOBO in spring on 2011 after I graduate from college. This forum is very informative-- I find myself clicking on every one! Thanks for all the advice. :sun

anie77
10-13-2008, 03:47
Am new too, this forum looks to be a super one!!

BumpJumper
10-13-2008, 20:29
Welcome girls. This is a good forum.

Pixiegirl
10-14-2008, 17:03
Oh my LORD you aren't kidding. All my girlfriends are lazy and scared of bugs. It's so frustrating being the only girl in my area that hikes. I've been looking for someone else of the female variety that appreciates hiking for like...10 years!!!!