PDA

View Full Version : Casting New Show For Discovery Channel

DanielTino
07-22-2008, 18:50
Hey!

My name is Dan Tino and I am a Casting Associate for Pilgrim Films. I am currently working on a show on The Discovery Channel that is loosely based off of the first season of "The Alaska Experiment" - it is called "Alaskan Adventure". In the show we send a group of people to live out in the wilderness of Alaska. Their adventure will be documented for 8 weeks and aired on The Discovery Channel.

We are looking for thrill seekers and adventurers who love being in the wild and who think they can last the 8 weeks. This is not a competition based show - rather it is a real, documentary series about survival.

If you or anyone you know would be interested in this once in a lifetime opportunity please email [email protected] and include a recent photo along with your name, phone number, city/state, and a short explanation of why you feel you are up to the challenge. You can also call 818-752-5559 for more information.

Sincerely,
Daniel Tino
Casting Associate
Pilgrim Films

Skidsteer
07-22-2008, 18:52
Welcome to Whiteblaze Dan.

When does the project start?

Lone Wolf
07-22-2008, 18:53
AT hikers ain't cut out for what you're lookin' for :D

Bulldawg
07-22-2008, 18:55
LW, I would LOVE to see you on this show. I wouldn't miss an episode of you on it. If you apply, let me know so I can see if I can get you a shelter to stay in.:D:D:banana

DanielTino
07-22-2008, 19:26
skinsteer, the project starts filming at the beginning of september. we would definitely need you and whoever else is interested to reply to that email address - [email protected] - if this is something that you would like be a part of. thanks!

Phreak
07-22-2008, 19:31
Dang! Sounds like a cool project. I'll be hiking the JMT during September or I'd apply.

Bulldawg
07-22-2008, 20:59
Dang! Sounds like a cool project. I'll be hiking the JMT during September or I'd apply.

You'd make a fabulous cast member Phreak. First you'd astonish them with your freakish hiking speed. Then you could talk down a bear the way you can tame a dog. Would make for good TV.

take-a-knee
07-22-2008, 21:27
AT hikers ain't cut out for what you're lookin' for :D

Speak for yourself.

Bob S
07-22-2008, 21:38
No one wants to look at me on TV, including me…

I feel I could survive most things and adapt to new ones very well. But A TV show is not really about survival, it’s about entertainment that is suppose to keep you glued to the TV screen to watch the next commercial, then again it’s about keeping you glued to the screen till the next commercial, and on & on it goes.

Shows on TV like Survivor are no more about survival then Gilligan’s Island was. Real survival is normally really boring stuff (and I very politically incorrect) and not well suited to TV without a lot of editing or changes in what happens. Reality TV is not real, its somewhat unscripted, anyone that thinks it is real probably also thinks wrestling is real.

SGT Rock
07-22-2008, 21:40
I thought wrestling was real. You mean all that stuff that happens on Man vs Wild is fake?

But back to the topic. FWIW I don't watch a lot of TV, so could we get a better idea of what is expected in a candidate?

Bob S
07-22-2008, 21:41
Look what Bear Gillis (sp?) has to do (make a fool of himself, doing stupid foolish things) to get people watch Man Vs Wild.

oops56
07-22-2008, 21:42
Yep its all good stuff and they all laughing going to the bank and we sit here being poor

Mags
07-22-2008, 21:50
As a person who has hiked 3 of the nation's long distance hiking trails, loves to stay active in winter (ski touring..dontchya know), leads many outdoor trips...

(A mysterious voice appears near my computer: Er..Mags, There are no AYCE buffets on this show. Or beer. Or worse..wine! And I really doubt you can dazzle your team members with your pretensions to culinary skills. There is no backcountry hut! Plus, have you looked in a mirror lately ?!?!? This is television...it ain't a radio show...)

...I'd really suck at this show..

:D

take-a-knee
07-22-2008, 22:33
I thought wrestling was real. You mean all that stuff that happens on Man vs Wild is fake?

But back to the topic. FWIW I don't watch a lot of TV, so could we get a better idea of what is expected in a candidate?

What?! Wrasslin' ain't fer real?! Next you'll try to tell me they really went to the moon!

SGT Rock
07-22-2008, 22:55
Of course they went to the moon. They found footprints of bare human feet. Didn't you hear? If they hadn't really gone to the moon how would we know about ancient humans from Atlantis getting their first?

Hammock Hanger
07-22-2008, 22:56
Hey!

My name is Dan Tino and I am a Casting Associate for Pilgrim Films. I am currently working on a show on The Discovery Channel that is loosely based off of the first season of "The Alaska Experiment" - it is called "Alaskan Adventure". In the show we send a group of people to live out in the wilderness of Alaska. Their adventure will be documented for 8 weeks and aired on The Discovery Channel.

We are looking for thrill seekers and adventurers who love being in the wild and who think they can last the 8 weeks. This is not a competition based show - rather it is a real, documentary series about survival.

If you or anyone you know would be interested in this once in a lifetime opportunity please email [email protected] and include a recent photo along with your name, phone number, city/state, and a short explanation of why you feel you are up to the challenge. You can also call 818-752-5559 for more information.

Sincerely,
Daniel Tino
Casting Associate
Pilgrim Films

When you say a show on "survival" what exactly are you talking about?? Is it a base camp setting or is backpacking involved? Is there a support team or is this some kind of living off the land... Can you spear a few more details??

TJ aka Teej
07-22-2008, 23:05
Can we nominate members we'd like to send to Alaska's grizzly feeding zone for 8 weeks?

SGT Rock
07-22-2008, 23:07
Go start a poll

Hikerhead
07-22-2008, 23:07
Can we nominate members we'd like to send to Alaska's grizzly feeding zone for 8 weeks?

Yeah!! Hammock Hanger would be perfect.

Lone Wolf
07-22-2008, 23:58
Speak for yourself.

what qualifies you to be a cast member?

take-a-knee
07-23-2008, 00:08
what qualifies you?

To speak for you!? Nothing at all.

Bearpaw
07-23-2008, 00:22
For folks whose only backcountry experience is the relatively civilized AT with frequent town resupplies, a real two-month survival experience in September and October in Alaska would be a real stretch.

That said, there are folks here who have quite a bit of travel and survival experience in much more remote and harsh places than the AT who might do well.

Tin Man
07-23-2008, 00:42
Would the cast members have Internet access?

Or is the show about survival without whiteblaze.net?

Wise Old Owl
07-23-2008, 06:16
what qualifies you to be a cast member?

This is really a great show, I caught the tail last two weeks and the set of cast members were from all walks of life, You have to be able to stick it out, reguardless of how cold, or small the cabin or tent is. Food, & keeping warm is the big issue. I really liked it, makes Bear Grillis look like a gram weenie.:-?

Lone Wolf
07-23-2008, 06:19
i'm overqualified. you don't know cold til you've been a snowmaker in northern vermont

TOW
07-23-2008, 06:25
i'm overqualified. you don't know cold til you've been a snowmaker in northern vermontor you have ridden a bicycle in below zero weather in Vermont, a far as that goes even Wyoming......

Doughnut
07-23-2008, 07:07
I lived in Fairbanks for 4 years courtesy of the US Army. 40 below must be experienced to be believed, when it hurts to breath.
If the show is filming in Sept and Oct, depending on location, it shouldn't be too bad,

Homer&Marje
07-23-2008, 07:20
I would go and do it. A. Just to see Alaska, B. To report back to WB about the fallacies of reality tv. Have to convince Marje tho, that might be difficult... you know creature comforts have to be accounted for.

Mags
07-23-2008, 09:48
I saw a documentary once about survival in Alaska. (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Northern_Exposure)

Will this one involve some quirky, yet heartfelt moments, too?

Flush2wice
07-23-2008, 11:49
What's it pay?

yappy
07-23-2008, 12:18
I hate to say this but most folks on this have NEVER been cold. Not like what this state hands out. I thought i knew cold, sorta.. well Alaska introduced me to a true arctic winter. Sept and Oct should'nt be too bad but i have seen it here 45 below on Halloween.

Wags
07-23-2008, 12:27
anyone here would be a better choice than some of those computer programmers from nyc they had on there last season :/

Marta
07-23-2008, 12:55
I hate to say this but most folks on this have NEVER been cold. Not like what this state hands out. I thought i knew cold, sorta.. well Alaska introduced me to a true arctic winter. Sept and Oct should'nt be too bad but i have seen it here 45 below on Halloween.

It was over a hundred here yesterday. Cold sounds good right now.

I love it when it's cold enough that hoarfrost forms on every fencepost and tree branch, and the air sparkles as the moisture freezes out of it. I love the long shadows bare tree trunks make on the snow--at noon.

yappy
07-23-2008, 13:04
marta, that was beautifully said. i do too. There are those days that sparkle... the silience is beyond quiet and almost final. there are winter days up here that make my eyes ache with unshed tears and my heart just freaking bursting with the fact that I understand NOTHING about the big picture... the purity of a land untouched so to speak. Even though it is changing up here SO fast that if i close my eyes i might see a Target when I open them.

on the otherhand it is fall here now and i am wearing a pullover..lol.. whatever ! I want summer !... but, it never really came here and now we don't see the happy side of 60 and might not again til next yr.

Wilson
07-23-2008, 13:15
anyone here would be a better choice than some of those computer programmers from nyc they had on there last season :/

I agree...Did'nt see it, but most of these type shows don't want people that actually know how to deal with their enviroment.

They want a bunch of crybabies.

Doughnut
07-23-2008, 15:00
Yappy, where in AK are you?

DanielTino
07-23-2008, 20:53
Ok, hopefully I can get to all of your questions.

First off, the show is a documentary series about people trying to survive in the Alaskan wilderness. It is not a competition based show (like Survivor, Amazing Race, etc) - I can assure you there is nothing phony about it.

Getting in to more specific details: We drop off a group of people (9 or so) in the middle of the Alaskan wilderness in hopes that they will work together to get what they need. Their objective, or our 'dare', if you will, is to trek 200 miles across Alaska. On their journey they must find their own food, water, and shelter - those supplies will not be provided. The taping will go on for eight weeks or two months.

We would like people who consider themselves survivalists to apply. That said we also want people who like challenging themselves and people who are known to push their physical and mental limits. This is really the opportunity of a lifetime - I wish I could do it, but I can't cast myself!

We won't take nominations to send people to Alaska's grizzly feeding zone, sorry. But, you can feel free to tell other people about this opportunity, perhaps people you like and/or want to see live as opposed to the whole grizzly thing.

If you all have any more questions keep posting!

Cheers,

Dan

DanielTino
07-23-2008, 20:58
Would the cast members have Internet access?

Or is the show about survival without whiteblaze.net?

ha, not unless they find one out in the wild!

Lone Wolf
07-23-2008, 20:59

First off, the show is a documentary series about people trying to survive in the Alaskan wilderness. It is not a competition based show (like Survivor, Amazing Race, etc) - I can assure you there is nothing phony about it.

Getting in to more specific details: We drop off a group of people (9 or so) in the middle of the Alaskan wilderness in hopes that they will work together to get what they need. Their objective, or our 'dare', if you will, is to trek 200 miles across Alaska. On their journey they must find their own food, water, and shelter - those supplies will not be provided. The taping will go on for eight weeks or two months.

We would like people who consider themselves survivalists to apply. That said we also want people who like challenging themselves and people who are known to push their physical and mental limits. This is really the opportunity of a lifetime - I wish I could do it, but I can't cast myself!

We won't take nominations to send people to Alaska's grizzly feeding zone, sorry. But, you can feel free to tell other people about this opportunity, perhaps people you like and/or want to see live as opposed to the whole grizzly thing.

Cheers,

Dan

I'm in. I don't normally work well with others but I'll be the leader and things will progress just fine. :) E-mail will be sent tomorrow. look at me dan, i'm a stud! http://web.archive.org/web/20021220112626/hobocentral.com/images/Photos/wolfmaine.jpg

SGT Rock
07-23-2008, 21:00
I've been cold, tired, hungry, and wet before. I don't intend to do it with a camera rolling on me and some warm, well feed, fully dressed camara man around me. If that were the case I know how I plan to get a meal.

whitefoot_hp
07-23-2008, 21:13
i caught a few episodes of the alaska experiement and they are basically looking for average joes that have little mountaineering experience. i saw the episode where the trio tried to hike to some glacier 50 miles away and expected to travel as fast as they would on the AT. they used poor judgement with food and water. i swear they received support. they claimed that they ran out food before they got there, and they had to turn around and come back.

others they wanted to stuff in small cabins out alone in the middle of no where. sign me out.

they want ignorant people because it makes good TV. someone who knew what they were doing would BORE the hell out of the american populace of monkeys.

doggiebag
07-23-2008, 21:22
The project sounds fun. I'm interested. I shot an email out yesterday.

Lone Wolf
07-23-2008, 21:25
The project sounds fun. I'm interested. I shot an email out yesterday.

we'll do good on the show

doggiebag
07-23-2008, 21:34
I know it's a long shot ... with them just looking for 9 folks. But I'm just viewing it like hitting the lottery from hell ( if selected). :eek: I do have a hard time imagining that a group of 9 would work well with each other in the conditions outlined. A smaller group would be easier to move and feed ... less stressful as well IMHO.

Lion King
07-23-2008, 22:24
Bring it.:D

Pepper Beard
07-23-2008, 23:27
Googling the phone numbers show it to be spammed all over the internet by this "producer". Here's the first result. There are hundreds like it....

For more info on receiving an exorcism on the new series please email: [email protected] or call (818) 752-5559.

Doughnut
07-24-2008, 07:22
Take 20 -30 heavy smokers, (2 packs a day +) age, sex, race, no matter, Put them on an island with no tobacco for 30 days, last one standing wins......

that's reality....

Mags
07-24-2008, 09:56
I'm with Rock.

Getting filmed being cold, wet and hungry ..while there is a well fed support staff ain't my idea of fun.

Here's a person who trekked 1000 miles across Alaska along the Brooks Range.

http://www.bucktrack.com/Alaska_Brooks_Range_Traverse.html

He's the real deal. :)

Best of luck who ever gets on the show. Hopefully it will be everything you want it to be.

In the mean time..."panem et circenses" comes to mind. :)

Gumbi
07-24-2008, 12:00
Take 20 -30 heavy smokers, (2 packs a day +) age, sex, race, no matter, Put them on an island with no tobacco for 30 days, last one standing wins......

that's reality....

They could put that on pay-per-view! I would pay money to see it! :D

minnesotasmith
07-24-2008, 12:02
i'm overqualified. you don't know cold til you've been a snowmaker in northern vermont

I've worked on the North Slope of Alaska, above the Arctic Circle. Last time I was there, nights were hitting as cold as -47 F. actual (no wind chill). Of course, that was only November, and not even winter yet, so there were still a couple hours of daylight each day, unlike in winter...

I honestly think I could do this thing, but like most people here, I'm not photogenic enough for the people putting together this program. They undoubtedly want pretty-boy guys under age 30 who go shirtless most of the time, and ex-strippers/former "Girls Gone Wild" women of the same age who mainly wear 2-piece bathing suits for most of the cast. Besides, I already have other plans for next year... ;)

The Solemates
07-24-2008, 14:28

Cheers,

Dan

i would hardly call 200 miles "survival". you can cover that in 10 days if you hump it. it does not seem that difficult to me. i've known people to fast for 10 days while also covering that kind of ground, and water is plentiful in Alaska.

do the participants have to use the full 8 weeks to cover the mileage?

oops56
07-24-2008, 15:28
Now put your thinking cap on. Needs to be 8 weeks so it can run 8 weeks on tv.:)

DanielTino
07-24-2008, 15:33
The show will shoot for 8 weeks regardless of how long it takes for you to complete the trip. SO, you will be out in the wilderness of Alaska for the entire time. If this sounds easy than you should apply! Remember, we will not be providing food or shelter - you must hunt or find your own food, and build/find your own shelter. If you can fast for 10 days and cover that kind of ground, that's great! Let's see it.

Blissful
07-24-2008, 15:45
I starved on the trail in the 100 mile wilderness practically. (ha ha) Really, we didn't have much food between the 2 of us. Dropped a lot of weight there.

Any rate, I do want to go to Alaska, but not this way, thanks.

Tin Man
07-24-2008, 15:53
Regarding hunting for food, are we allowed to bring our own weapons of choice and do we need to acquire our own permits?

Nearly Normal
07-24-2008, 15:59
They probably want Dilberts who think Central Park is a wilderness area.

Mags
07-24-2008, 16:00
Regarding hunting for food, are we allowed to bring our own weapons of choice and do we need to acquire our own permits?

Does buying steak at Kroger's count as hunting? I do have a discount card that is good in many stores in the Kroger's family (City Market, Krogers, King Soopers)..I think that is a permit of sorts.

Tin Man
07-24-2008, 16:08
They probably want Dilberts who think Central Park is a wilderness area.

Central Park late at night is scarier than Alaska at any time.

Tin Man
07-24-2008, 16:09
Does buying steak at Kroger's count as hunting? I do have a discount card that is good in many stores in the Kroger's family (City Market, Krogers, King Soopers)..I think that is a permit of sorts.

Oh, it's a treasure hunt. :cool:

DanielTino
07-24-2008, 16:31

Good question. The producers are still working that out. Obviously, we do plan on operating within the confines of the law. As far as bringing your own weapons, that is still being ironed out in creative but I can't imagine we would send you into the Alaskan wilderness unarmed, whether or not you can bring your own weapons, I'm not sure - but I doubt it.

Doughnut
07-24-2008, 17:20
Good question. The producers are still working that out. Obviously, we do plan on operating within the confines of the law. As far as bringing your own weapons, that is still being ironed out in creative but I can't imagine we would send you into the Alaskan wilderness unarmed, whether or not you can bring your own weapons, I'm not sure - but I doubt it.

I'll take a 12 ga single shot, #6 for squirrels and grouse, slugs in case a bear decides to eat me. (If the bear decides to eat someone else, well, he's just being a bear - LOL)
Can't imagine shooting a Moose or Caribou for "survival meat" unless I am staying put for a month!

Marta
07-24-2008, 17:25
I've been wondering about the details, too. Fire-starters? Knives? How much clothing? Bedding? Cooking pots? Wire? Fish hooks? Nets? Salt?

It's a very interesting situation. Somewhere between "Into the Wild" and "The Last American Man."

taildragger
07-24-2008, 17:45

What, I may not be able to bring my AK-74? How am I supposed to kill caribou for the whole crew without having to actually load the gun again...

doggiebag
07-24-2008, 19:54
I've been wondering about the details, too. Fire-starters? Knives? How much clothing? Bedding? Cooking pots? Wire? Fish hooks? Nets? Salt?

It's a very interesting situation. Somewhere between "Into the Wild" and "The Last American Man."

If they could keep the technology cap somewhere north of the Jurassic period … hopefully closer to the Bronze Age at the very least; I’m sure it would be greatly appreciated by whoever gets picked . That being the case ... 200 miles is no big thing considering the amount of time provided for the documentary; However - 60 days is a long survival challenge – I’m not sure how long it took the Donner Party to start going at each other (and that group had some limited supplies unlike the project proposed). IMHO the sooner they can finalize a more detailed outline of the proposed project the better their chances are of locating talent that has a real chance at lasting 8 weeks with no support in Alaska.

doggiebag
07-25-2008, 10:13
If things got so bad that you had to resort to eating mice - would you let the crew film you or would you just pop the little suckers in your mouth without telling anyone?

Lone Wolf
07-25-2008, 10:16
If things got so bad that you had to resort to eating mice - would you let the crew film you or would you just pop the little suckers in your mouth without telling anyone?

film me but the PETA freaks might squawk about it :rolleyes:

taildragger
07-25-2008, 10:32

film me but the PETA freaks might squawk about it :rolleyes:

Eat a film crew member. It might be better for the morale of the group and its ability to stop PETA. Besides, I bet that they'll have a little more fat than the mice :sun

DanielTino
07-25-2008, 17:12
Googling the phone numbers show it to be spammed all over the internet by this "producer". Here's the first result. There are hundreds like it....

For more info on receiving an exorcism on the new series please email: [email protected] or call (818) 752-5559.

Sherlock here cracked the code using Google. We cast for many different shows, the show about exorcism is another one. The company is called "Pilgrim Films" - try googling that and you'll find we also produce the show "Dirty Jobs" with Mike Rowe and a lot more! That's how the whole film and TV industry works - different production companies make different showS - plural, not just one show :)

Doughnut
07-25-2008, 17:23
Hey, I just got a call from Dan Tino!!!

DoughNut

wacbzz
07-25-2008, 18:34
Hey, I just got a call from Dan Tino!!!

DoughNut

And he said....

taildragger
07-25-2008, 18:55
And he said....

"Is your refrigerator running?...well then you better hurry up and catch it!!!"

I for one found the call quite immature, my refrigerator has nothing to do with Alaska other than the fact that it can get cold.

Doughnut
07-25-2008, 19:01
Definite interest (I've lived in AK and graduated Arctic Survival School). I forwarded the requested info to him.

DoughNut

Quoddy
07-25-2008, 19:53
I applied the first day. I figured that I was in good shape, had a full military background of twenty years, was an advanced skydiving instructor (which won't help much unless we parachute in), have fairly good survial skills, and have a decade of EMT experience. Being retired, I have nothing but time. Instead of a minimum of a daily hike in the local mountain ranges, I could be hiking in the really big stuff. Besides, what would this be without varied demographics?

Chance09
08-01-2008, 14:08
had anyone who has applied heard anything back?

Quoddy
08-01-2008, 14:58
I got a phone call on Wednesday 7/30 from Karla from the casting department to say they needed a video and a 5 page form filled out and back to them by today 8/1. I did the video yesterday, filled out the form and sent it next day Express Mail. She indicated that the final decision making would probably be started Monday when they presented the final group to the film makers at a meeting.

A basic indicaiton of what's involved is in this question:
"Can you make your own shelter nightly, hunt for food daily and trek across miles of wilderness for 6 to 8 weeks?"

doggiebag
08-01-2008, 15:00
had anyone who has applied heard anything back?
I was contacted a week ago ... played phone tag for a couple of days and just got done chatting with someone from the casting department. I'm still in the running - now I need to make a 6 to 10 minute video over the weekend to convince them that I'm a "good candidate" for the project. Knowing me - that'll be the last time I'll hear from them after I send it. :D

Marta
08-01-2008, 15:29
Good luck, guys!

Mags
08-01-2008, 16:03
Good luck! Hope you two make it on the show!

doggiebag
08-01-2008, 16:16
Good luck, guys!

Good luck! Hope you two make it on the show!

Thanks folks. If everything goes well - I will represent with the proper amount of grace and decorum expected from any WB member. Who am I kidding - I'm ready to eat some rodents!

taildragger
08-01-2008, 16:19
Thanks folks. If everything goes well - I will represent with the proper amount of grace and decorum expected from any WB member. Who am I kidding - I'm ready to eat some rodents!

How is that different that showing the expected grace of a WB member. Dehydrated rat on a stick is a delicacy on the trial ;)

mudhead
08-01-2008, 16:20
Get Aldo in that video. They might need a resident enforcer!

Chance09
08-01-2008, 16:22
i'm in the process of filling out the form too. I just heard back from them yesterday. I wonder how many applications they received.

Marta
08-01-2008, 17:49
i'm in the process of filling out the form too. I just heard back from them yesterday. I wonder how many applications they received.

I suspect Whiteblazers will be overrepresented in their applicant pool.:rolleyes:

minnesotasmith
08-01-2008, 17:59
I suspect Whiteblazers will be overrepresented in their applicant pool.:rolleyes:

Body-builders and strippers overrepresented in the finalist pool.:rolleyes:

Doughnut
08-02-2008, 12:44
I too sent in the video, to Kris at Pilgrims, they are definately interested,
as mentioned here, there are alot of issues to iron out and the Producers want to start shooting next month.

doggiebag
08-02-2008, 13:51
I've got till Monday to get my video in so I'm still working on mine. Luckily enough they'll take a youtube clip so I don't have to worry about running out of time. The contact I have gave me some areas to concentrate on. Verbatim via email:

"In your tape, please tell me about your life as it is now, your experiences in the outdoors, why you want to be a part of this journey through Alaska and why you think you're up to the challenge. How do you think you'll fare with a group of strangers traveling through the wild? What excites you about this journey? What scares you? What will challenge you? Do you have anything to prove to yourself or someone else with this journey? Can you make your own shelter nightly, hunt for food daily and trek across miles of wilderness for 6 to 8 weeks? Tell me a brief story about the biggest adventure you've had to date or tell me a funny story...
The three biggest things to remember here are to BE YOURSELF, HAVE GOOD ENERGY and HAVE FUN. Don't read off of cue cards. Talk to the camera as if you're talking to a friend. Don't bore us, but don't perform for us either. In the end, we're looking for a real person just like you... the kind of person you'd like to watch on a show like this. ALSO, please email me a recent, close-up photo of yourself. Unfortunately, the one picture I have of you doesn't show me very much."

Did you folks get the same talking points? I'm curious since I've got a different person I'm working with at Pilgrim.

Doughnut
08-02-2008, 15:11
Thank you for your interest! So nice speaking with you! I have attached
an application, make sure you fill it out completely, print it and
include it in the package with your home tape.
Home tape: Please use a DV or mini-DV camera if possible. Please send
us a mini-DV tape or a DVD. Make sure we can can see and hear you
clearly. Make sure the tape is no longer than 5-7 minutes. The key is
to be conversational, energetic, and have fun making it! Start by
telling us your name, age, occupation, marital status and where you
live. Start by talking about why you want to do this.. Tell us about
your experiences with the outdoors; camping? hiking? kayaking? hunting?
or what you have done, or do well. Talk about the shape you are in,
what you do to stay in shape, and why you think you can survive in the
wilderness. What is the biggest risk you have ever taken? The biggest
adventure you have ever been on? Your biggest fear? Also incorporate
things we talked about on the phone; helicopter pilot, arctic survival
school, army, hunting, love bears, crossed glacier rivers, etc..

See,s along the sames lines, definately not some standard form.

DoughNut

doggiebag
08-02-2008, 15:18
Interesting - we didn't get a canned response. Very cool.

Thank you for your interest! So nice speaking with you! I have attached
an application, make sure you fill it out completely, print it and
include it in the package with your home tape.
Home tape: Please use a DV or mini-DV camera if possible. Please send
us a mini-DV tape or a DVD. Make sure we can can see and hear you
clearly. Make sure the tape is no longer than 5-7 minutes. The key is
to be conversational, energetic, and have fun making it! Start by
telling us your name, age, occupation, marital status and where you
live. Start by talking about why you want to do this.. Tell us about
your experiences with the outdoors; camping? hiking? kayaking? hunting?
or what you have done, or do well. Talk about the shape you are in,
what you do to stay in shape, and why you think you can survive in the
wilderness. What is the biggest risk you have ever taken? The biggest
adventure you have ever been on? Your biggest fear? Also incorporate
things we talked about on the phone; helicopter pilot, arctic survival
school, army, hunting, love bears, crossed glacier rivers, etc..

See,s along the sames lines, definately not some standard form.

DoughNut

Quoddy
08-02-2008, 15:24
I wish I had gotten the information on Wednesday afternoon that Monday was OK. I was told that the package had to be there by late Friday for a Monday presentation. My video, especially, was rushed to get it in the mail by mid day Thursday to make the Friday deadline. I ended up leaving out major things that I wanted to convey in the video.

doggiebag
08-02-2008, 15:28
I wish I had gotten the information on Wednesday afternoon that Monday was OK. I was told that the package had to be there by late Friday for a Monday presentation. My video, especially, was rushed to get it in the mail by mid day Thursday to make the Friday deadline. I ended up leaving out major things that I wanted to convey in the video.

You could always create a new one and just upload it to youtube. You can then just send them a link to the video via email. I haven't even started on mine yet.

Quoddy
08-02-2008, 15:36
You could always create a new one and just upload it to youtube. You can then just send them a link to the video via email. I haven't even started on mine yet.
I would have done that originally, but my computer is having issues recognizing any outside source, it won't even read it's own card slots. I ended up taking my video, which was done on an SD card to a special photo store that turned it into a DVD. Just sending that package cost me about $35, including Express Mail.

The decision now rests with those who make the big bucks. I am really hoping that I'll get the chance to take my Busse ASH-1 LE to Alaska and use it like it's supposed to be used.

doggiebag
08-02-2008, 15:45
I would have done that originally, but my computer is having issues recognizing any outside source, it won't even read it's own card slots. I ended up taking my video, which was done on an SD card to a special photo store that turned it into a DVD. Just sending that package cost me about $35, including Express Mail.

The decision now rests with those who make the big bucks. I am really hoping that I'll get the chance to take my Busse ASH-1 LE to Alaska and use it like it's supposed to be used.

Tell me about it. Though I'm more of a SOG Kabar type for a fixed blade. It would be an interesting packing list that's for sure - I just hope that they just dont drop the group off some remote site with nothing but - toilet paper and Chap Stick :D regardless of how things turn out - good luck to everyone.

The Scribe
08-02-2008, 16:07

I belong to the Maine Outdoor Adventure Club (MOAC) and this guy hit them as well. I got the same information from MOAC about the opportunity.

Tipi Walter
08-02-2008, 16:22
Who needs a TV show to feed the couch potatoes? Just get your pack loaded with 20 days worth of food, plan a cache, and head out for a month on your own. See Alaska on a solo backpacking trip.

Doughnut
08-02-2008, 16:48
OK, doggie and Quoddy assuming we three get picked, Weapon Choice? Luxury item (if allowed)

I'd want a 12 ga single shot for squirrels and grouse, slugs for camp protection.
and a deck of cards..

I have NO information just figured I'd see where others' thoughts are.

DoughNut

Quoddy
08-02-2008, 17:17
OK, doggie and Quoddy assuming we three get picked, Weapon Choice? Luxury item (if allowed) DoughNut
If there were already firearms along for food and protection then I'd opt for my Busse knife which would be a great all round item for cutting and chopping almost anything. My luxury item would be Hydropel, my feet would thank me.

http://farm4.static.flickr.com/3293/2725824603_38c5ddb221.jpg?v=0

doggiebag
08-02-2008, 18:09
If there were already firearms along for food and protection then I'd opt for my Busse knife which would be a great all round item for cutting and chopping almost anything. My luxury item would be Hydropel, my feet would thank me.

It's nice to think about getting paid to do something like this ...

Ok I'll play along: I'll take a Mossberg or Remington 12 gauge pump with a slug barrel preferably in stainless steel with a mixed set of shells mostly number 6 small game shot and some .50 cal sabot or triple ought buck. There are just too many unknowns at this point. It almost sounds like it's a 2 month foraging trip to me. I'd like to carry a personal camera ... maybe a bottle of tabasco.

Chance09
08-03-2008, 20:14
ya so that was interesting making a video about myself. Anyone else find it hard to talk to a camera for 5+ min like it were a person?

Skidsteer
08-03-2008, 20:16
ya so that was interesting making a video about myself. Anyone else find it hard to talk to a camera for 5+ min like it were a person?

It's tougher than it looks for sure.

doggiebag
08-03-2008, 20:19

It was a royal pain. I finally got it done and had the link sent to Pilgrim. All I got to do is fax some stuff tomorrow and just hope for the best. Did you do a youtube thing or make a minidvd/tape?

Chance09
08-04-2008, 01:35
I made a video. I work at an advertising studio and just borrowed the equipment from the studio for the weekend. Probabbly took me 15 tries to get it to where i had a nice 5 min chat where i wasn't just rambling on lol. This would be so awesome to get picked for.
I've been wanting to go and just "survive" in alaska for a few years now and was planninig on giving it a shot in a couple years but the logistics of such a trip are a pain. I wanted to build a log cabin and live there and then you'd have to worry about hunting regulations ect ect. It would be great to let someone else worry about that and just go have fun.

mweinstone
08-04-2008, 05:22
this is a scam. your all in porno now!

Doughnut
08-04-2008, 07:16
Chance,
What a dream, however check the regulations, they aren't (or weren't) complicated. People living in the bush were eligible for sustenance hunting and had more liberal limits and seasons. There were areas still open for squatting and land claims too.

My dream has been to get a job with the State Education Department and fly to the remote sites to deliver education to the children living in the bush!

DoughNut

Dances with Mice
08-04-2008, 08:19
I have two friends who have been selected for reality shows. That may seem sort of unusual but I have a lot of friends who are sort of unusual.

No disrespect to the casting scout that came on-line here, he's got a job to do and found a great place to do it. Anyway, fair warning from my friends with experience in this:

These people are not your friends. They already have an idea of what they want to show. They have a mold and they want you to fit inside. They do not have time for character development so your personality will be distilled down to a caricature like the opening to Gilligan's Island ("....the millionaire and his wife, the movie star, the Professor and Mary Ann..."). Check out one of the shows (http://www.realitynewsonline.com/cgi-bin/ae.pl?mode=2&page=page1114.php)and you can find my friend from the contestant descriptions. It was totally bogus - she has a MBA and worked in the head office of a circus and knew how to juggle a little. But somehow she became a 'circus juggler' although she had never performed in a circus.

Things you say and do will be taken out of context and edited to present the best entertainment spectacle. Small irritations will be blown out of proportion to show conflict and tension. It is not their job to make you look good.

Don't believe for one moment that reality shows are real.

Cabin Fever
08-04-2008, 08:37
I see all of you trying to get on there. They are also doing the casting through a web site called gotcast.com. My brother is leading the voting on there!!!! WOOHOO!

Ramble~On
08-04-2008, 09:00
:-? Nine people and lots of sites to pool from.
Looks like I'm too late to get in on this. Sounds like it would be fun.
Good luck to those of you in the running.
- I hope this show turns out to be popular and they do it again...this would be an interesting vacation. Let me know how this turns out..I shot my tv a while ago.

Jim Adams
08-04-2008, 12:13

Whole process is very similar to the application for "Survivor".

geek

Chance09
08-04-2008, 12:37
i feel that here there actually looking for people who have some survival experience/knowledge. Survivor just seems like a bunch of misfits thrown together in an area where anyone with half a brain should be able to survive.

Jim Adams
08-04-2008, 12:38
i feel that here there actually looking for people who have some survival experience/knowledge. Survivor just seems like a bunch of misfits thrown together in an area where anyone with half a brain should be able to survive.

I have applied to Survivor several times...the applications sound VERY similar.:-?

geek

Lone Wolf
08-10-2008, 09:00
this guy i work with at Sundog Outfitters, Pepper, an AT hiker, made it to the semi-final contestant selection list. if selected he'll be flown out to L.A. at the end of the month. he should find out early this week

Chance09
09-04-2008, 00:00
anyone from whiteblaze get anywhere?

Bob S
09-04-2008, 00:26
Maybe they should have had Sarah Palin for it, it sounds like she could kick all our rears ends on this.

Doughnut
09-04-2008, 18:31
Not me, not a word..... They seemed so interested till they saw me!!!!

DoughNut

Red Hat
09-04-2008, 21:48
Not me, not a word..... They seemed so interested till they saw me!!!!

DoughNut

They wanted some wimpy guys, not strong hiker types...

Doughnut
09-05-2008, 16:35
nah, I don't photograph well, though I had part of it mapped out,
If someone made me mad, I'd respond that I was fixin' to "Donner" their butt.

f8lranger4x4
09-07-2008, 18:02
Any more updates?

MyName1sMud
09-08-2008, 14:05
hmmm is this legit?

MyName1sMud
09-08-2008, 14:06
this guy i work with at Sundog Outfitters, Pepper, an AT hiker, made it to the semi-final contestant selection list. if selected he'll be flown out to L.A. at the end of the month. he should find out early this week

nice! :banana:banana:banana

Wise Old Owl
06-05-2009, 21:15
Ok I give up I watched one show and I cannot figure out why they have these duct tape home made far too big tarp packs...... Then they decide to go bear hunting in the dead of winter when they are hibernating. - Does anyone else see mistakes and dumb stuff here?

Hoop Time
06-05-2009, 21:25
Does anyone else see mistakes and dumb stuff here?

You mean like their inability to catch fish in Alaska, even in water where the fish have probably seldom seen a hook and ought to be fairly easy to catch?

Besides, unless you do it like Survivorman, filming yourself, you know they have a crew around the whole time. There is no real challenge here. Nobody will actually starve if they don't find food.

I tried watching it a few times on On Demand and have yet to make it through a whole episode without falling asleep.

WILLIAM HAYES
06-05-2009, 21:28
I hope he gets some real outdoor types rather than some of the sniveling people I have seen on the other program If whiteblazers are represented on the show it will be creditable and not a phony exercise like man v wild
Hillbilly

Wise Old Owl
06-05-2009, 21:35
I hope he gets some real outdoor types rather than some of the sniveling people I have seen on the other program If whiteblazers are represented on the show it will be creditable and not a phony exercise like man v wild
Hillbilly

I honestly think they "edit" the successes out to make the mistakes look better!

CowHead
06-05-2009, 22:52
What?! Wrasslin' ain't fer real?! Next you'll try to tell me they really went to the moon!

What we didn't go to the moon next you'll try to tell me there's no hikey clause

Desert Reprobate
06-05-2009, 23:00
Of course they went to the moon. They found footprints of bare human feet. Didn't you hear? If they hadn't really gone to the moon how would we know about ancient humans from Atlantis getting their first?

I think the astronauts were wearing Vibram 5 finger sandals

Wise Old Owl
06-05-2009, 23:07
Next time DR and Sgt Rock are sitting around the camp fire I am going to request they don't inhale....:D

fancyfeet
06-05-2009, 23:11
Next time DR and Sgt Rock are sitting around the camp fire I am going to request they don't inhale....:D

Why? This just started gettin' interestin'. :cool:

Rockhound
06-05-2009, 23:19
What does this pay? And is it too late?

CowHead
06-06-2009, 20:02
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wise Old Owl http://www.whiteblaze.net/forum/wb_style/buttons/viewpost.gif (http://www.whiteblaze.net/forum/showthread.php?p=849529#post849529)

fancyfeet
Why? This just started gettin' interestin'. :cool:

Wow I didn't figure them for non-inhalers

DetR6oit
06-07-2009, 16:01
Ok I give up I watched one show and I cannot figure out why they have these duct tape home made far too big tarp packs...... Then they decide to go bear hunting in the dead of winter when they are hibernating. - Does anyone else see mistakes and dumb stuff here?

It wasn't really winter, those were some of the first snows. All of the earlier episodes didn't have any snow at all. My bet is it was filmed in september-october still quite early in the season. If you notice they still find berries, even with the snow, that alone shows it wasn't very far into winter. Plenty of bears will still be around if food is still around like that. They do even spot one in the second bear hunting episode but it was too far away.

Wise Old Owl
06-07-2009, 16:43
Ok what is up with the monster heavy packs?

mweinstone
06-07-2009, 17:11
i can start fire 64 ways and make a lens from ice. i can dig a snow pit and forccast avalanches . i can self arrest at 14000 feet from the upside down head first position every time. i can tie a bowlin while changing a diaper with two fingers. i can rig a tyrolean traverse and aid climb with the best of them. i survived the youth consevation corps, camp councelling and the marines. i know how to forrage and i eat bugs. and this sounds like the thing for me. but my rear axel is broke on my bike and i cant go to work without it and its hard to think. without my bike, ill make less money this week. and with less money im apt to stress out. and thats why i would suck for your show. cause with all my skills and jesus too, im still a broken pussifies chump dramma queen hikertrash matthewski. you would hate me on your show.

mweinstone
06-07-2009, 17:15
and i would brag all the time and be really annoying cause i went to nols and i got 6000 at miles and think im a hikeing messiha.so yeah, im the best one you could pick. and i wont be sending any emailes or co operating. ill take your money and make your show good. thats my final offer. oh, and my hairs as cool as serials . but not my eyes.

mweinstone
06-07-2009, 17:20
and theirs innernet documentation of how many times i catch on fire and break cars. so i could provide the show with a high probibility factor of the need for an evacuation. witch would be cool. oh,.. and my 9th grade spelling combined with my unbeliveable iq and savy makes me a must. ill exspect a package with money soon. thanks.and make it alot.

Phoenixdadeadhead
06-07-2009, 18:23
What does this pay? And is it too late?
From what i understand there is no prize. Not sure if it pays or not. I sent an email in with a short Autobiography and a few pics. Hope I get in. It isn't on my bucket list, but it would be a nice add to my experiences.

Homer&Marje
06-07-2009, 18:24
and theirs innernet documentation of how many times i catch on fire and break cars. so i could provide the show with a high probibility factor of the need for an evacuation. witch would be cool. oh,.. and my 9th grade spelling combined with my unbeliveable iq and savy makes me a must. ill exspect a package with money soon. thanks.and make it alot.

I can't believe we're gonna be on the show together. I just got my package full of money in the mail...see you in Alaska!

Phoenixdadeadhead
06-07-2009, 18:37
this is a scam. your all in porno now!
My C@#k is copywrited they can't use it unless I give consent lol

Dr O
06-07-2009, 19:29
Minnesota Smith.

Dr O
06-07-2009, 19:43
I honestly think I could do this thing, but like most people here, I'm not photogenic enough for the people putting together this program. They undoubtedly want pretty-boy guys under age 30 who go shirtless most of the time, and ex-strippers/former "Girls Gone Wild" women of the same age who mainly wear 2-piece bathing suits for most of the cast. Besides, I already have other plans for next year... ;)

cancel them. This has Minnesota Smith written all over it. :D

Reid
06-07-2009, 21:04
Hope one of ya'll make it! I'd sure love to do it but it's just not in my capacity to do right now. Good luck to everyone whose applying!

Wise Old Owl
06-07-2009, 21:41
Hope one of ya'll make it! I'd sure love to do it but it's just not in my capacity to do right now. Good luck to everyone whose applying!

Nobody from here made it, the second show is already produced and the title for the thread was some time ago. The 4 of the shows have been aired and the folks with the most training/ strength /stamina have already bailed out and left the city slickers to fend for themselves.

Darwin again
06-07-2009, 21:47
Ah-Oooo-Gah! Ah-Oooo-Gah!

ZOMBIE THREAD ALERT.
(Check the date on the first entry, folks.)