PDA

View Full Version : Looking for boots for GF.... please help.

88BlueGT
07-23-2008, 00:17
Hey, I'm trying to find a nice set of hiking boots for my girlfriend. We have gone through at least twenty pairs of shoes (just trying them on) and nothing fits here correctly because of her wide foot and it seems that there arent any companies out there who make a wide shoe/boot. I am going to look into new balance because I know that they specialize in wide shoes but not sure which models to go with. can anyone provide any help? all her shoes are either too big, too tight, etc. Thanks on behalf of me and my girlfriend :sun

She does all of her hiking in NJ/PA so the terrain is usually very rocky so a durable shoe/boot is needed. Thanks :)

88BlueGT
07-23-2008, 00:20
btw, waterproof is highly preferred. lightweight is not that big of a deal with her, comfort is MUCH more important.

Lilred
07-23-2008, 01:10
I have a wide foot and wear Solomon's. Has she tried on a men's boot? I wore a men's Timberland's pair my first year hiking.

88BlueGT
07-23-2008, 01:18
yea, at the last outfitter she tried on a few pairs of men shoes but they did not fit her correctly either. It was a specific reason and for the life of me I can't remember exactally what it was, I think something with the way that the heel is designed (too big I think) in the mens boots? something like that. but yea, the last outfitted we went to suggested that but it didnt seem to help.

Lucinda
07-23-2008, 06:42
Yes, that's the problem with men's boots -- the heel's too big.

My foot runs a bit wide (but I still take a normal width in shoes) and I need room in the toebox to accommodate my norton's neuroma.

I wear only trail shoes or sandals (great for wide feet because they tend to "give") and have never worn boots, no matter what the terrain.

I guess I'm no help!

Hammock Hanger
07-23-2008, 07:57
Hey, I'm trying to find a nice set of hiking boots for my girlfriend. We have gone through at least twenty pairs of shoes (just trying them on) and nothing fits here correctly because of her wide foot and it seems that there arent any companies out there who make a wide shoe/boot. I am going to look into new balance because I know that they specialize in wide shoes but not sure which models to go with. can anyone provide any help? all her shoes are either too big, too tight, etc. Thanks on behalf of me and my girlfriend :sun

She does all of her hiking in NJ/PA so the terrain is usually very rocky so a durable shoe/boot is needed. Thanks :)

I also have a wide foot. I wore the Salomon Elios. Fit perfect right out the gate. Not waterproof, as I find that only make for a wet shoe longer once it goes up and pver the sides. These are strong, durable, comfy and dry pretty darn fast.

Lilred
07-23-2008, 08:07
I also have a wide foot. I wore the Salomon Elios. Fit perfect right out the gate. Not waterproof, as I find that only make for a wet shoe longer once it goes up and pver the sides. These are strong, durable, comfy and dry pretty darn fast.

My Solomon's fit me like a slipper. They're a short boot with Gortex waterproofing. I don't know the brand, but if she hasn't tried Solomon's, it's worth a try.

I've gone barefoot all my life, and there are some styles of shoes I can't even get my feet into. Good luck.

Lillianp
07-23-2008, 08:55
I'm wearing men's boots-specifically Asolos and find they fit very well, though perhaps I have wide heels as well. :rolleyes:
I went through a lot of boots to find them. I even tried on two versions of the same boot and one didn't feel right around the ankle but the ones I got felt great! :sun

Cuffs
07-23-2008, 09:39
Silly question, but to cover the bases... is she trying on with the type of socks she would wear while hiking? and does she prefer a liner sock too? Im sure you know, this will add bulk, maybe then a mens boot will fit?

tiger bomb
07-23-2008, 09:44
I can sympathize. I have a very wide foot. Have been wearing men's wide with occasional success. I have used NB Country Walkers on the trail. I am currently thru hiking and started with mens Beans Crestas, have used mens Montrail Hardrocks and just bought a pr. of Vasque Breeze in preparation for my "flip" up to Maine. I understand the large heel problem but that is not an issue in all styles. I absolutely love the Keenes but even the Mens are not big enough. Good luck in your search

Tiger Bomb

sbennett
07-23-2008, 10:22
I moonlight at a local outfitter down here and when I have women that need a wider shoe, I steer them away from the Vasque Breeze. It tends to run narrow in the forefoot, just like most Vasque shoes. For a lighter weight hiker, try the Lowa Renegade, which typically runs wide, or for a more sturdy boot, the Asolo Stynger (the women's version of the Asolo Fugitive) runs fairly wide.

In terms of trail runners, the Vasque Velocity VST, for some reason, is more roomy than pretty much any other Vasque shoe (but isn't waterproof). Some of the North Face shoes going around now (the Hedgehog GTX and the new Purgatory, which has a softshell outer) run wider than other shoes. I can't comment on the durability of TNF shoes but they have been popular.

Gaiter
07-28-2008, 10:53
I also have the same problem... wide forfoot

for day hiking and just outdoors stuff, i use a solomon shoe, fits my foot well

i have weak ankles so i need a boot to suport them for longer hikes
for my last long section i used a raichle, was a little tight but it worked for my foot http://www.mammut.ch/raichle/intro.asp

Sleeps_With_Skunks
07-28-2008, 15:41
I have an extremely wide foot. Montrail makes a nice womens boot in wides the montrail torres gtx. IF you are near nashville I have those in a 7.5 and an 8 wide and I am about to get rid of them to goodwill (slightly worn...my foot got longer hiking so my toes rub). Lowe had a new mens boot that has a narrow heel. Lowe Renegades I think. I normally wear a womens 8.5 wide but a mens 7D (7 regular in mens) fits better. Lowes tend to be shorter and a 7.5 mens regular fit great.

Here (http://shoes.about.com/od/fitcomfort/ss/measurefeet.htm) is a website your GF can go to where she can measure her feet in inches and they have mens and womens charts where you can compare the measurements to get the right size and widths. I used the charts over the phone to fit my sis to a pair of shoes and they fit perfect. And I used it to check my feet after the last set of toenails fell off this summer. I even tested the accuracy by fitting my DH Bearpaw to see if things matched up...yup they did.

meghan
07-28-2008, 19:40
i also have WIDE feet! i love my Montrail boots. i've had them for almost 2 years and have hiked 100s of miles in them and they are still in in great shape!

try em!

harvestmoon
08-06-2008, 22:49
I have wide feet also and i love the Garmont Nagevi...it's more like a shoe, not a boot but I'm on my third pair now I like them so much.