PDA

View Full Version : Jarrard Gap

Sheriff Cougar
07-23-2008, 04:57
Does anyone know if there is a place to camp at Jarrard Gap?
Thanks

Lone Wolf
07-23-2008, 05:03
sure. there 's always a place to throw up a tent. there's supposed to be water .3 west of the gap

Doughnut
07-23-2008, 05:45
Jarred gap is where I saw my first bear! Probably 1/2 mile SOBO is a great spot near the creek. Also, at Jarred, there's a lake .3 west, as Lone Wolf pointed out.

DoughNut

Lone Wolf
07-23-2008, 05:54
Jarred gap is where I saw my first bear! Probably 1/2 mile SOBO is a great spot near the creek. Also, at Jarred, there's a lake .3 west, as Lone Wolf pointed out.

DoughNut

actually the lake is a mile or more away

Egads
07-23-2008, 06:46
Like LW said, there is camping at the gap and a stream is 0.3 mi away.

Lake Winfield Scott, a developed National Forestry Service campground is ~1.0 mi away. It has bathrooms, showers, a beach, picnic areas, camping with rings, pads, tables, & lantern poles. It is a fee area. I believe it is open year round.

Egads

JERMM
07-23-2008, 07:19
Yes, there is a big area, I camped there this spring

jesse
07-23-2008, 09:41
From the Chattahoochee Forest Service web site, for the campground at Lake Winfield Scott. Don't Know why a hiker would want to go there.

Site Amenities: Loop through recreation area is paved. Five pull-through sites and two double sites are available. Each campsite is equipped with tent pad, grill, lantern post and picnic table. Drinking water, restrooms and hot showers are available during open season. The area has a few campsites that are accessible to disabled visitors, and has an accessible fishing deck. Restrooms are not yet specifically designed to be accessible to people with disabilities.
Requirements: The camping area is open from late April until late October. Fees are required. During winter months, drinking water is not available and the restroom is a privy.

Doughnut
07-23-2008, 09:44
Lone wolf is correct, of course, funny how time makes the distances seem shorter.

The camp I am referring to is 2.5 miles SOBO, at Miller's gap. The lake is a mile west, I didn't realize it was that far.

DoughNut

max patch
07-23-2008, 10:36
Don't Know why a hiker would want to go there.

Thats one of my favorite day hikes.

Park at the lake, blue blaze to the AT, hike north, snack at Woods Hole, optional side trip to Blood Mtn and back, blue blaze back to the lake, swim (lake has a swimming area and beach) change into dry clothes for the drive home.

jesse
07-23-2008, 10:46
Its a great place. I stayed there once, took my boat and fished. I was thinking more in terms of someone hiking the AT, going there to either camp or shower.

max patch
07-23-2008, 10:49
Its a great place. I stayed there once, took my boat and fished. I was thinking more in terms of someone hiking the AT, going there to either camp or shower.

I agree, that wouldn't be worth the mile down and then back up.

Sheriff Cougar
07-25-2008, 03:09
Thanks to all for the quick response. I have also found some photos on Whiteblaze that have a good view of just how much room there is to camp. I will be using it as a stopover. Trying to stay away from parking lots and roads!
Glenda

greentick
07-25-2008, 03:18
I have never been through there when the wind wasn't blowin. Might make for a good summer campsite. Anyone else notice that. I camped there with my son a few Christmas breaks back and he about dove into his sleeping bag as soon as the tent was up.

whitefoot_hp
07-25-2008, 09:08
you can camp at Jarrard gap. nice opening. lake winfield scott is a mile away down a nice forest road.

max patch
07-25-2008, 09:25
[QUOTE=jessebrent;670390] Don't Know why a hiker would want to go there.

QUOTE]

On Ed Garvey's 1070 thru-hike he hiked down to Lake Winifield Scott from Jarrard Gap and spent the night on the floor of a picnic pavilion, cooking his supper in the fireplace. He doesn't mention in his book why he chose to do this.

whitefoot_hp
07-26-2008, 02:21
i can see why. it is a cozy place. guess you gotta be a local... 20 minute drive to winfield. i do it often.

mister krabs
07-27-2008, 12:04
Yup, I walked through last night. There's a big campsite right at the intersection of the jarrard gap trail and the AT. Big enough for 4 or 5 tents. There's water about a third of a mile down Jarrard gap trail and Lake winfield scott is very nice for swimming, with a raft and all. purists will poopooh it, but it's a great spot and a very nice 6 mi loop from the lake up slaughter creek down the AT for a few miles then down jarrard gap

briarpatch
07-27-2008, 15:48
Just be careful where you put your tent. The "apparently inactive road" that crosses the trail at Jarrard Gap is really an actively used road. The owners of an inholding use the road to access their property. It is gated down near Lake Winfield Scott and the NFS and the inholding owners have keys. In the past, the GATC has used the road for maintenance access, but no longer use it.

I've seen tents set up ON the road before and suggested that they might want to move 20 or 30 feet to one side, just in case :)