PDA

View Full Version : AT White Mountain Itinerary

Tin Man
07-23-2008, 07:25
Here is our tentative itinerary for later this summer. The idea is to avoid Huts, except Lake of the Clouds (weekday night already booked). We built in some lower mileage days anticipating a bad weather day or two where we may need to stay put and allow time to make up the mileage. Any thoughts or suggestions for improvement are appreciated. PM me if you know any great stealth sites.

Thank you!

AT White Mountains Itinerary

0.0 Franconia Notch

2.6 Liberty Springs Tentsite

7.7 Garfield Ridge Campsite

5.5 Guyout Campsite (0.7 mile side trail)

9.0 Ethan Pond Campsite

9.3 Nauman Tentsite

4.8 Lake of the Clouds Hut (reservations made)

10.0 Osgood Tentsite

4.8 Pinkham Notch

the_iceman
07-23-2008, 08:05
I was thru-hiking so I was in trail shape but a bit weary..

I did Franconia to Garfield - 10.3

Garfield to Zealand - 9.7

Zealand to Nauman - 14.1

Nauman to Madison (LOC refused to let us stay) - 11.8

Madison to Pinkham 7.8

The descent from Madison to Osgood via the AT is extremely steep in spots and rocky. I came down in the rain after a day of rain. I noticed this is your longest day and it could be a tough challenge. Make sure you have daylight left.

Plus LOC to Madison is above tree line and exposed most of the way. I was caught in hail and lightening and had to huddle in a squat position on my rubber pad while lightening struck around me. It cost me at least an hour and darkness came fast. I got to Madison, still lightening, just before needing my headlight.

The Old Fhart
07-23-2008, 09:03
I got to agree with the_iceman. I went from Lakes to Osgood when I did my thru hike and that is a longer day than most imagine. There aren't a lot of good options so if you go for it, get as early a start that day as possible. Also check the location of the Randolph Mountain Club fee shelters (The Perch and Grey Knob) in case the weather turns bad or you have to cut that day short for any reason. Because of the above tree line terrain and the exposure there are no spots to safely or legally stealth on that section. I'd still try to do the 10 miles if possible to avoid side trips to the RMC shelters and adding a day but be prepared for a tough day.

Tin Man
07-23-2008, 09:14
Thanks Iceman and TOF. We do plan to be up and out at first light on most days.

burger
07-23-2008, 09:18
I agree with the above commenters about going from Lakes to Osgood in one day. Aside from the climb up Mt. Washington, you have two bone-jarring descents that day (down Washington and then an extremely steep, seemingly endless descent down Madison). If I were doing this hike again on your mileages, I'd stop at Madison. Or alternately, I'd go from Nauman to Madison Hut in one day (a hard day but doable) and then out to Pinkham the next day.

Tin Man
07-23-2008, 09:45
How does going down Madison compare to going north down Moosilauke? We did Moosilauke in the rain and the upper third of the descent was in snow.

Kerosene
07-23-2008, 10:20
How does going down Madison compare to going north down Moosilauke? We did Moosilauke in the rain and the upper third of the descent was in snow.Going down The Moose is certainly very steep and time-consuming (if you're smart...I ended up pushing too hard and over-working my quads which contributed to knee pain later in my hike).

Going down Madison and Osgood Ridge isn't nearly as steep, but most of it is above treeline, the footing is slippery, and it's a very slow process. Hikerhead and I went from LOC to an hour past Osgood Tent Site in mid-September 2006 on a lovely next-to-last day of hiking where we spent a lot of time taking pictures. We were trying to make it to Pinkham Notch and ran out of light. Tough day, even in good weather.

rafe
07-23-2008, 10:38
How does going down Madison compare to going north down Moosilauke? We did Moosilauke in the rain and the upper third of the descent was in snow.

It's been about 25 years since I've done it... but I remember it as long and steep and hard. And that was with a much fitter body... ;)

Blissful
07-23-2008, 11:03
Madison has lots of good size rocks, steep descent. Very tough on knees. We went the other way on Moosilauke.

Lakes to Osgood will be a real tough day. Lots of scree to cross also. You can make more time actually through the Ethan Pond area.

Tin Man
07-23-2008, 12:33
If we arrive at Lake of the Clouds a day early or late, and they have space, will they allow us to stay using our pre-paid fee?

Tin Man
07-24-2008, 09:42
Does anyone know if the AMC allows you to transfer a reservation, say from LOC to Madison, for example?

7Sisters
07-24-2008, 10:26
If there is availability you can transfer.

The Old Fhart
07-24-2008, 11:22
7Sisters-"If there is availability you can transfer."The problem is you may not know if there is any space available until you get to the hut. When I thru hiked, I wanted Mispah to check with Lakes to see if there was any room before we continued on in thick fog. The way the reservations system was set up, all the huts had to go through the main desk at Pinkham and not direct, hut-to-hut. they stopped doing reservations at 1 or 2PM and it was to late to check. If you want to transfer, make sure you check early so you don't get caught.

7Sisters
07-24-2008, 11:57

You're spot on. You can transfer, but the earlier the better and you'll need to go thru the Pinkham desk. I would suggest getting on that transfer now. Once on the trail it can be a real pain in the rear end and is best done first thing in the morning.

Kerosene
07-24-2008, 14:26
You can also try to adjust your reservation date at any of the Huts you pass to the south, but there's no guarantee that you'll get a bunk. Each Hut has a radio that they can use to call in a new or revised reservation.

Tin Man
07-24-2008, 14:40
You can also try to adjust your reservation date at any of the Huts you pass to the south, but there's no guarantee that you'll get a bunk. Each Hut has a radio that they can use to call in a new or revised reservation.

That's what I thought. Thanks.

celt
07-25-2008, 09:47

Yes. The huts have a 7:50am up radio call with the AMC's reservations in Pinkham. 7:50 is usually when breakfast is wrapping up (a busy time) so If you want to make a day-of reservation change or addition I recommend inquiring the evening before with the front desk croo member of the hut you're staying at.

camojack
07-25-2008, 10:10
Here is our tentative itinerary for later this summer. The idea is to avoid Huts, except Lake of the Clouds (weekday night already booked). We built in some lower mileage days anticipating a bad weather day or two where we may need to stay put and allow time to make up the mileage. Any thoughts or suggestions for improvement are appreciated. PM me if you know any great stealth sites.

Thank you!

AT White Mountains Itinerary
0.0 Franconia Notch
2.6 Liberty Springs Tentsite
7.7 Garfield Ridge Campsite
5.5 Guyout Campsite (0.7 mile side trail)
9.0 Ethan Pond Campsite
9.3 Nauman Tentsite
4.8 Lake of the Clouds Hut (reservations made)
10.0 Osgood Tentsite
4.8 Pinkham Notch
Later this Summer when?

Tin Man
08-13-2008, 21:08
Dang! I have been sweating over my itinerary for weeks. Karl is going to execute my week-long plan in ONE DAY! Dang!

Go Karl go!

Tin Man
08-14-2008, 16:27
How is Verizon's cell cover along the AT in the Whites? I was going to leave the cell at home, but it looks like I will need to check in occassionally.

Peaks
08-14-2008, 16:48
How is Verizon's cell cover along the AT in the Whites? I was going to leave the cell at home, but it looks like I will need to check in occassionally.

Spotty at best. I wouldn't count on coverage, even on top of Washington. And certainly no coverage down in the notches.

Tin Man
08-14-2008, 16:50
Spotty at best. I wouldn't count on coverage, even on top of Washington. And certainly no coverage down in the notches.

That's about what I expected. Oh well. Thanks!

The Solemates
08-14-2008, 17:30
..........moose mtn to hexacuba, 17.7
hexacuba to glencliff, 14.7
glencliff to mt wolf, 14.1
mt wolf to liberty springs, 13.3
liberty springs to galehead, 10.4
galehead to saco river, 14.8
saco river to lake of the clouds, 11.1
lake of the clouds to pinkham, 14.8
pinkham to imp, 13.1
imp to trident col, 14.9
trident col to full goose, 14.5.........

Peaks
08-15-2008, 08:23
..........moose mtn to hexacuba, 17.7
hexacuba to glencliff, 14.7
glencliff to mt wolf, 14.1
mt wolf to liberty springs, 13.3
liberty springs to galehead, 10.4
galehead to saco river, 14.8
saco river to lake of the clouds, 11.1
lake of the clouds to pinkham, 14.8
pinkham to imp, 13.1
imp to trident col, 14.9
trident col to full goose, 14.5.........

That's an ambitious schedule. Gerneral rule of thumb is to take your average daily mileage and cut it in half for the Whites.

I'd also recommend a zero or nero at Gorham

MOWGLI
08-15-2008, 08:27
That's an ambitious schedule. Gerneral rule of thumb is to take your average daily mileage and cut it in half for the Whites.

Day 4 (mt wolf to liberty springs, 13.3) is the toughest day on the schedule IMO. The Solemates can rock this out. Strong hikers - they are.

Undershaft
08-15-2008, 12:05

I've had pretty good luck with a verizon signal in the Whites. You can check your phone from most of the summits. I've never been without a decent cell signal at the top of a mountain anywhere in the Whites, but I haven't hiked the whole AT through the Whites yet so YMMV. Down in the notches, especially Crawford notch, you won't get a signal, and I doubt you'll get a signal between crawford notch and Garfield when you are in the Pemi. I suspect you'll be able to check your phone almost everyday during your traverse.

The Solemates
08-15-2008, 12:09

we already did this hike....

...i was just posting since people asked for suggestions....

The Solemates
08-15-2008, 12:10

in half? ive never heard that before. i'd say this was cut 3/4 for us...

we took a zero in rutland and another in andover...

The Solemates
08-15-2008, 12:11
Day 4 (mt wolf to liberty springs, 13.3) is the toughest day on the schedule IMO. The Solemates can rock this out. Strong hikers - they are.

..we already did the hike....the mt wolf stealth site was interesting...

...headed to the Lost Range Idaho tomorrow!!

Tin Man
08-15-2008, 12:38
we already did this hike....

...i was just posting since people asked for suggestions....

Your itinerary suggestion was good for thru-hikers, I am sure. I am an older section hiker who is not in THAT kind of shape. Thanks for posting. :)

Enjoy your Idaho trip!

Turtle2
08-16-2008, 17:41
I came from the north but traveled from Osgood to Lake of the Clouds easily in one day. Started about 6:30 am, was at Madison Hut by 9 in fog that froze in my hair (wearing shorts and short sleeves) was at Mt. Washington around noon, putzed around there for a while had lunch and warmed up, then wandered down to LOC arriving at 3 pm. I found the going easier than stated. Watch out for the wind and the dips in temps.

rafe
08-17-2008, 17:28
The woods are wet, wet, wet. Amazingly, there was (almost) no rain in Rutland between Friday afternoon and around noon today. But everywhere we hiked this last week (Vermont, near Mansfield, and near Killington, and the DAKs) the trails were wet and verrry muddy. Yesterday mid-day it looked like rain would hit the festival at Rutland. We only got a few drops in Rutland, but apparently it came down in buckets 10 miles away at Killington.

Tin Man
08-22-2008, 20:59
Okay folks. At 4am I begin the journey to see if I can execute in 8 days what Karl did in less than 24 hours. The only thing slowing me down is ... booze, cigars, campfires, views, steaks, pancakes, eggs, BACON, did I say booze?, the urge to actually camp, occasional climbs and descents, oh, and being totally out of shape for this sort of thing. Uh, well that's probably not the only thing(s), but, I am armed with your collective wisdom and occasional pithiness that will get me through, for which I thank you all.

http://hikinghq.net/forum/images/smilies2/bandit.gif