PDA

View Full Version : Does age make a difference...

Hammock Hanger
07-23-2008, 08:54
I hate to say this but age on the trail does make a difference. Sometimes good, sometimes not. With age comes life experience, but older bones and creaky joints.

Younger bodies seem to take the rigors of a trail better. Thus not having to deal with the daily pain that an older hiker might. It is always easier to do something pain free then not.

I don't feel that age is a factor in finishing a hike, as it seems just as many older hikers complete the trail as younger hikers. I just feel the older hiker had to deal with a lot more pain before getting to Maine.

Off trail is another story. I sometimes read a forum entry from someone who hiked the trail in their 20's and is now a decade or so older. They say how easy it was and don't understand why now one of their older peers can't just suck it up get through it like they did. They did it in a young body, I would like to see them go out NOW in their older body and see if they are as less sympathetic.

Don't get me wrong, an older person knows going out that there is going to be pain involved but sometimes it gets tiring to have younger hikers pass judgement or to have a now older armchair hiker make comments on how easy it is from a past memory of his/her youth.

To those that are young I say enjoy as much as you can in that young body as long as you can. To us old folks I say enjoy as much as we possibly can for as long as our old bods will allow, and then some.

Lone Wolf
07-23-2008, 08:56
next year i gets me a AARP card. it will make a difference in motel charges :D

rafe
07-23-2008, 09:03
It cuts both ways. Youngsters have the advantage of strength, speed, endurance, agility, good health and all that wonderful stuff. But with age comes wisdom, and occasionally some maturity. These things have to be earned and learned. Usually over a large span of time...

Tin Man
07-23-2008, 09:11
I agree with terrapin's assessment that older age has some benefits. One thing I have learned after talking to thru-hikers and long distance hikers is just maybe a thru-hike is not the only way to do the trail. Week-long ( I do annually) to month-long journeys (I have yet to do) are much more my style these days. The journey does not become a grind and you have something to look forward to next year. YMMV.

Hammock Hanger
07-23-2008, 09:11
It cuts both ways. Youngsters have advantage of strength, speed, endurance, agility, good health and all that wonderful stuff. But with age comes wisdom, and occasionally some maturity. These things have to be earned and learned. Usually over a large span of time...

Yes, I know. As I was maturing and gaining wisdom my bones were aging... :p

My mind was always on the hike however, the noise from my screaming old bones was sometimes deafening. Can't go back but I sometime dream what it would be like to hike in a young body. I did some hiking in my youth but not long distance. Oh well, can't go back and believe me I wouldn't want to. I'll just continue to play in the body I have and love it best I can.

Lone Wolf
07-23-2008, 09:32
You may want to check their policies before joining. AARP is not the only discount program available. Sometimes just your drivers license will do.

i don't do policies.

Mags
07-23-2008, 09:39
Off trail is another story. I sometimes read a forum entry from someone who hiked the trail in their 20's and is now a decade or so older. They say how easy it was and don't understand why now one of their older peers can't just suck it up get through it like they did. They did it in a young body, I would like to see them go out NOW in their older body and see if they are as less sympathetic.

I did the AT in my mid-20s (well, 24)..I am 34 now.

I am in better shape than ten years ago (195 lbs on my 5'6" frame! 175 lbs now) . Then again, endurance peaks in your 30s.

The AT took me 5 mos, I was hurting at the end (heavy pack for sure) in my knees. In 2006, at age 32, I did the CDT at exactly 4 mos and did 25-30 MPD. I felt great physically.

Guess what I am trying to say is that if I was to do the AT today, I'd probably enjoy it more than 10 yrs ago due to a lighter pack, but also because I am in better shape.

Finally, I point to my friend Garlic. He just turned 50 this year. We went backcountry skiing together over the winter (including an 18 miler). He just finished the AT, and his triple crown, a week or so ago. Consistent ~25 MPD!
http://trailjournals.com/thedeliduo/

Age can matter..but so can being in shape to begin with, mental attitude, etc. And I'll take my 34 yo self over my 24 yo self for physical conditioning any day. :)

Tin Man
07-23-2008, 09:48

Cuffs
07-23-2008, 09:51
If you join an organization, doesn't that make you "do policies" even if it is passive? :-?

Can we let this lie please?

Lone Wolf
07-23-2008, 09:52
If you join an organization, doesn't that make you "do policies" even if it is passive? :-?
just let it go. i didn't edit my post

Lone Wolf
07-23-2008, 09:52

see what i mean? :rolleyes:

Footslogger
07-23-2008, 10:18
[quote=Hammock Hanger;670360]I hate to say this but age on the trail does make a difference. Sometimes good, sometimes not. With age comes life experience, but older bones and creaky joints.

==================================

I turned 54 during my AT hike in 2003 and felt the difference between that experience and the many section hikes during my 30's and 40's.

Now at 59, and having had a heart attack, I can only imagine there would be an even bigger difference. The one thing in favor of age is the sense of "pace". My wife and I talk about hiking the AT again but would probably break it in half and hike it over 2 years ...and allow about 4 months for each half.

As for older bones and creaky joints ...just keep the Glucosamine coming !!

'Slogger

Grampie
07-23-2008, 10:33
Well said Hammock Hanger.
You are quite right. It is much harder for an older person to hike the trail. I guess I can say that from experience, having did a thru at age 66.:sun

mudhead
07-23-2008, 10:42
Yes enjoy youth. People should probably be less judgemental at all ages.

Age and treachery will always overcome youth and beauty.

rafe
07-23-2008, 10:46
A wealthy old Gentleman decides to go on a hunting safari in Africa, taking his faithful, elderly Jack Russell named Killer dog, along for the company.

One day the old Jack Russell starts chasing rabbits and before long, discovers that he's lost. Wandering about, he notices a leopard heading rapidly in his direction with the intention of having lunch.

The old Jack Russell thinks, 'Oh, oh! I'm in deep doo-doo now!' Noticing some bones on the ground close by, he immediately settles down to chew on the bones with his back to the approaching cat. Just as the leopard is about to leap, the old Jack Russell exclaims loudly, 'Boy, that was one delicious leopard! I wonder if there are any more around here.'

Hearing this, the young leopard halts his attack in mid-strike, a look of terror comes over him and he slinks away into the trees. 'Whew! says the leopard, 'That was close! That old Jack Russell nearly had me!'

Meanwhile, a monkey who had been watching the whole scene from a nearby tree, figures he can put this knowledge to good use and trade it for protection from the leopard. So off he goes, but the old Jack Russell sees him heading after the leopard with great speed, and figures that something must be up.

The monkey soon catches up with the leopard, spills the beans and strikes a deal for himself with the leopard.

The young leopard is furious at being made a fool of and says, 'Here, monkey, hop on my back and see what's going to happen to that conniving canine!

Now, the old Jack Russell sees the leopard coming with the monkey on his back and thinks, 'What am I going to do now?', but instead of running, the dog sits down with his back to his attackers, pretending he hasn't seen them yet, and just when they get close enough to hear, the old Jack Russell says...

'Where's that monkey? I sent him off an hour ago to bring me another leopard!

Moral of this story....

Don't mess with the old dogs...age and skill will always overcome youth and treachery! Bull**** and brilliance only come with age and experience.

(courtesy of my friend dday...)

Mrs Baggins
07-23-2008, 10:53
Okay, so I'm some kind of physical freak for my age - 52. I have zero aches and pains, I have zero health problems, I take no prescription meds and no "holistic" things to help with joints, etc. I move faster and am far more agile than friends I have who are in their 30's. I am rarely sore after a long hiking day and a couple of Advil take care of it. I see plenty of "young" people popping Advil on the trail. My own doctor says I'm one of the healthiest people she has seen in my age group. My only problem on the trail was flat feet and I fixed that with better arch supports. I've had flat feet my entire life, not as a result of age. I huff and puff going up the steep climbs but again, I've always done that. I have never smoked - anything. I often say I may be one of the last living people in my age group that can say that. I do drink - wine and beer and the occasional dram of good Scotch. I don't run or do any kind of daily work out. I eat meat. I just made up my mind a long time ago that age is only on a calendar and I would not give in to "aging" just because other people said I should be a certain way by a certain age. It seems to be working. :sun

Marta
07-23-2008, 10:56
Age and treachery will always overcome youth and beauty.

My version is:

Age and guile...

If not overcome, then at least make up for...

minnesotasmith
07-23-2008, 10:57
I hate to say this but age on the trail does make a difference.

I understand that older thruhikers have a higher completion rate than younger ones. Sounds to me like the better bodies the young hikers have on average is not the most important factor in completing a thruhike attempt...

Lone Wolf
07-23-2008, 10:58
it ain't age, it's about fitness level

cowboy nichols
07-23-2008, 11:03
Does anyone know where I can find some old bear bones?

Blissful
07-23-2008, 11:11
Okay, so I'm some kind of physical freak for my age - 52. I have zero aches and pains, I have zero health problems, I take no prescription meds and no "holistic" things to help with joints, etc. I move faster and am far more agile than friends I have who are in their 30's. I :sun

Wow. I refuse to be jealous...

I'm only 45 and already don't have some of my guts. And now they want to take my galldbladder too. :( And my medical folder at the MD is pretty thick. I've also had severe ankle sprains, knee problems. I take prescription meds.

BUT...

I did somehow manage to complete the whole AT!! SO there is hope, even if you do suffer maladies. And if you don't, why aren't you hiking??? (just kidding :))

kayak karl
07-23-2008, 11:15
I appreciate the outdoors much more now, then i did as a yout. im not in a rush anymore and thats good with my back:)
I still have a full deck; I just shuffle slower now. ~Author Unknown

mudhead
07-23-2008, 11:19
My version is:

Age and guile...

If not overcome, then at least make up for...

I like your version better, sounds more civilized.

Mrs Baggins
07-23-2008, 11:20
Wow. I refuse to be jealous...

I'm only 45 and already don't have some of my guts. And now they want to take my galldbladder too. :( And my medical folder at the MD is pretty thick. I've also had severe ankle sprains, knee problems. I take prescription meds.

BUT...

I did somehow manage to complete the whole AT!! SO there is hope, even if you do suffer maladies. And if you don't, why aren't you hiking??? (just kidding :))

I still have my tonsils, too. Everything's in tact and where it belongs. :) And the only reason I'm not out hiking is that I'm trapped at home for at least two weeks, maybe 3, while a new deck and screen room are being built on our house. Someone has to be here to watch over the contractors and answer their questions and let them in to use the bathroom:eek:

yappy
07-23-2008, 11:30
I am pretty lucky too. I am 46 and still move along at a good clip. I have friends in thier 70s doing these long hikes. They make up for less endurance with TONS of courage, patience, smarts and humor. I did the trail at 27 then was out again in 94 and 05. It was much easier the 2nd and 3rd time around. the first hike, for me.. has been the toughest of all. Even though i was very strong then mentally i was a mess at times and that about did me in. I did the pct at 34 and it did'nt faze me physically. Alot of it is in your head. My back does give my problems sometimes... but if I hang in there it always goes away... or becomes manageable.

We met a guy sectioning the Cdt last yr.. we were on the Ct.. he looked on the hard side of 70 and moved like pain was and intimate friend of his. i watched him walk up the stairs and i winced in sympathy. BUT, he also moved a with the knowledge that the journey blew the pain away so to speak. His attitude was so positive... those guys have my respect.

Footslogger
07-23-2008, 11:46
[quote=Mrs Baggins;670442]Okay, so I'm some kind of physical freak for my age - 52.
=============================

So was I ...count your blessings !!

'Slogger

Footslogger
07-23-2008, 11:48

==============================

...and genetics, as I have come to understand (but still find it hard to accept !!)

'Slogger

Mrs Baggins
07-23-2008, 11:52
Yappy, I absolutely agree about the older people staying active and having my respect! My parents and in-laws are in their early-mid 80's. All 4 of them have all kinds of physical problems and all 4 droned on since they were in their 50's that "I'm getting too old......." for whatever it was, how turning 50 meant everything would soon fall apart, etc. It was all mental. They truly believed that they SHOULD fall apart by a certain age, so they did. I get lectured by them all about how "you're too old for that now" "you can't keep this up much longer" "you know, you're over 50 now....." I hate that. So every time I find a news article about someone in their 80's 90's or older doing something fabulous like skydiving, bungee jumping, hiking, etc I send it on to them. I was once on a plane with my daughter and we were seated with a lady who said she was 93. Well dressed and very well spoken, she told us how she flies all over the world to visit family and friends. I told my daughter "THAT'S who I want to be!" If I could chose how I'll die it'll be peacefully while on a flight to the far side of the world when I'm 100!

yappy
07-23-2008, 12:05
Right On Mrs B ! you are my kinda GIRL..:) people are starting to tell me i am getting too old to " do that anymore ".. I am like Huh ? They don't know me is all i have to say. Alot of it IS in your head.. more folks should be saying I can do it.. or at least try. it is NOT about the 2100 miles it is about getting out of your freaking car and stretching your legs. i have my own insecurities about stuff in my life.. i am not bomb proof .. but where hiking is concerned there isn't a trail in this country that I won't at least give a HARD try at. I have been active all my life and that helps... don't smoke either. But, for me... it is just so pretttyyyyyyy out there and provides all the challenges and sweetness I can and could want .. so, when i am 80 ( I hope ) I will be stringing the miles together in whatever way my body lets me.

Wags
07-23-2008, 12:23
i played football and lifted weights, both now and in teens/early 20's. i know that i stay sore for much longer now at 31 than i did at 19. i also know injuries take longer to heal now than they did then and they happen a little more frequently.

Mags
07-23-2008, 12:31
i know that i stay sore for much longer now at 31 than i did at 19. i also know injuries take longer to heal now than they did then and they happen a little more frequently.

Maybe I'm just a genetic mutant..but I honestly don't feel like I am more prone to injury now then 10+ yrs ago.

But, I have been pretty physically active for the better part of a decade now. Who knows...

yappy
07-23-2008, 12:34
30s were a great decade for me ! maybe the best...you gotaa a ways to go yet mags..:)

Wise Old Owl
07-23-2008, 12:35
==============================

...and genetics, as I have come to understand (but still find it hard to accept !!)

'Slogger

Fitness & some genetics, Every time I hit a hill with my 71 year old dad, he's up it like a billy goat to my huffing & puffing! - 1 too many times to Mcdonalds for me...

Bearpaw
07-23-2008, 12:35
...age and skill will always overcome youth and treachery! Bull**** and brilliance only come with age and experience.

I just saw a great commercial for Royal Bank of Scotland that illustrates this point nicely.

A man in his 60's(?) is playing a round of gold with a man in his 20's. The youth is debating how many shots to get around a huge tree between his ball and the green.

The older man says, "When I was a young man, I would hit my ball right over that tree and onto the green."

The young man draws back and wails the ball... up into the top of the tree... where it falls right back down not far from before.

The older man replies, "Of course when I was a young man, that tree was only a few feet tall..." :o

Mrs Baggins
07-23-2008, 12:43
i played football and lifted weights, both now and in teens/early 20's. i know that i stay sore for much longer now at 31 than i did at 19. i also know injuries take longer to heal now than they did then and they happen a little more frequently.

Well.........when I was 16, 17 and 18 I did the March of Dimes "Walk for Mankind" walks. At that time they were 20, 21 and then 22 miles. When I finished those I could barely walk for a week. In fact I could barely drag myself over the finish line. (and I was a dancer in high school and should have been in far better shape). NOW I can do 20 miles, be a little sore and stiff in the evening, and perfectly fine the next day.

I often observe people..........I watch them use the automatic doors to a business rather than actually push on the other doors. I opt to push. They stand passively on the escalators or the moving sidewalks at airports. I zip up and down escalators like regular stairs and I always keep up a fast stride on the moving sidewalks. They buy electric can openers. I use a manual to maintain the strength in my hands and wrists. They make someone else put their groceries in their car. I always load them into my van myself. Makes me lift heavy objects up and forward. I carry my own luggage, I don't use "rolling" bags. I could go on.

My point is this: as soon as you give in on little things like that, the sooner you are going to lose the ability to do them at all. You won't push on the door to open it because one time your shoulder twinged and it hurt. So now you always use the auto doors - and soon you won't be able to push on anything because you've allowed that shoulder to atrophy and stiffen. Your wrist was a little achy when you tried to use a manual can opener so better not try that anymore! Wrong. It's only going to hurt more and more and get weaker and weaker because you gave up trying. I hurt my left knee skiing 30 years ago. It hurt forever after that. I couldn't even kneel on it and taking a long walk was like a knife inside of it. Then I started hiking 7 years ago. And hiking more. And more. The pain started up, I took Advil and kept walking. I never once said "Oh my knee hurts, so I better stop." Now I NEVER have that knee pain anymore. Whatever it was, it just needed more work and strengthening and I finally gave it that.

Keep moving!!:banana

Mags
07-23-2008, 12:43
30s were a great decade for me ! maybe the best...you gotaa a ways to go yet mags..:)

But two people were saying how they find it harder in their 30s vs the 20s. For me, I am finding it the opposite. Who knows?

yappy
07-23-2008, 12:44
lol.. Paw..I like that !

DapperD
07-23-2008, 12:46
I hate to say this but age on the trail does make a difference. Sometimes good, sometimes not. With age comes life experience, but older bones and creaky joints.

Younger bodies seem to take the rigors of a trail better. Thus not having to deal with the daily pain that an older hiker might. It is always easier to do something pain free then not.

I don't feel that age is a factor in finishing a hike, as it seems just as many older hikers complete the trail as younger hikers. I just feel the older hiker had to deal with a lot more pain before getting to Maine.

Don't get me wrong, an older person knows going out that there is going to be pain involved but sometimes it gets tiring to have younger hikers pass judgement or to have a now older armchair hiker make comments on how easy it is from a past memory of his/her youth.

To those that are young I say enjoy as much as you can in that young body as long as you can. To us old folks I say enjoy as much as we possibly can for as long as our old bods will allow, and then some.
I happened to read the book" Long Distance Hiking on the AT for the Older Adventurer" written by David Ryan, and in it he explaines how hiking long distances can be the perfect pursuits for people in their late forties, fifties, sixties, and even seventies. In it he states,"In many ways the older hiker has an advantage over the younger in successfully achieving their goal. The older hiker is more likely to have enough maturity and personal security not to be distracted by temptations along the way and actually to enjoy and thrive in a world of lower stimulation and calm". I believe this to be true. There is no doubt that a young,fresh body is going to have a physical advantage over an older, time worn one, but as someone else stated, it is more complicated than just that. The older person who has remained active, eats well and has stayed in shape, and doesn't have major injuries and health issues, is going to bring with them to the trail not only a physical edge, but a mental edge in the form of wisdom as well, which usually only is earned with age, and this wisdom is what will help them to succeed.

yappy
07-23-2008, 12:51
I found it the opposite too Mgs. the 30s were the best of both for me.. gaining some smarts and still very strong. Enjoy it dude... hope to see ya on the Cdt in the next yr or 2..:)

minnesotasmith
07-23-2008, 12:52
I was once on a plane with my daughter and we were seated with a lady who said she was 93. Well dressed and very well spoken, she told us how she flies all over the world to visit family and friends. I told my daughter "THAT'S who I want to be!" If I could chose how I'll die it'll be peacefully while on a flight to the far side of the world when I'm 100!

Old story: "When I die, I want to go peacefully in my sleep the way my grandfather did, not screaming like the passengers in his car..." :eek:

Marta
07-23-2008, 12:59
My 30s were pretty rough. I had three small children to take care of 24/7 (can anyone say sleep deprivation?) and was struggling with a severe back injury, as well as anemia. In spite of incipient muscle wasting and arthritic knees and all those other problems of advancing decrepitude, I feel better now.

I'd say, it's not what you have--because a lot of that was given to you--but it's what you do with what you have.

And, yeah, I didn't really appreciate that idea when I was younger...

take-a-knee
07-23-2008, 13:00
Well.........when I was 16, 17 and 18 I did the March of Dimes "Walk for Mankind" walks. At that time they were 20, 21 and then 22 miles. When I finished those I could barely walk for a week. In fact I could barely drag myself over the finish line. (and I was a dancer in high school and should have been in far better shape). NOW I can do 20 miles, be a little sore and stiff in the evening, and perfectly fine the next day.

I often observe people..........I watch them use the automatic doors to a business rather than actually push on the other doors. I opt to push. They stand passively on the escalators or the moving sidewalks at airports. I zip up and down escalators like regular stairs and I always keep up a fast stride on the moving sidewalks. They buy electric can openers. I use a manual to maintain the strength in my hands and wrists. They make someone else put their groceries in their car. I always load them into my van myself. Makes me lift heavy objects up and forward. I carry my own luggage, I don't use "rolling" bags. I could go on.

My point is this: as soon as you give in on little things like that, the sooner you are going to lose the ability to do them at all. You won't push on the door to open it because one time your shoulder twinged and it hurt. So now you always use the auto doors - and soon you won't be able to push on anything because you've allowed that shoulder to atrophy and stiffen. Your wrist was a little achy when you tried to use a manual can opener so better not try that anymore! Wrong. It's only going to hurt more and more and get weaker and weaker because you gave up trying. I hurt my left knee skiing 30 years ago. It hurt forever after that. I couldn't even kneel on it and taking a long walk was like a knife inside of it. Then I started hiking 7 years ago. And hiking more. And more. The pain started up, I took Advil and kept walking. I never once said "Oh my knee hurts, so I better stop." Now I NEVER have that knee pain anymore. Whatever it was, it just needed more work and strengthening and I finally gave it that.

That is about the best advice anyone can recieve concerning middle age. Most folks surrender decades before it is actually required of them.

Mags
07-23-2008, 13:17
I found it the opposite too Mgs. the 30s were the best of both for me.. gaining some smarts and still very strong. Enjoy it dude... hope to see ya on the Cdt in the next yr or 2..:)

That is what I find. I have a (a little bit! ;) ) more maturity, I'm a seasoned outdoors person and I feel very top of my game in terms of physical abilities.

Life is good...

When yo do the CDT, give me a shout. I'm ~45 minutes or so from the divide!

Footslogger
07-23-2008, 13:22
I'm one of the youngest 59 year olds I know. Always got plenty of exercise, didn't smoke, ate healthy etc. But the grim reaper still came a'knockin on my door last March in the form of a heart attack. I was the picture of health one day and a cardiac rehab patient the next.

Point being ...you can do everything right and still end up with health issues.

I have no intention of folding up my tent and going home. But sometimes now it takes me all night what I used to do all night :D

'Slogger

Summit
07-23-2008, 15:19
At 58, I'm hiking at about the same clip and have the same endurance as I did in my 20s, 30s, 40s. I weigh now closer to what I did in high school than any of those in between years. I walk 3 miles a day, 5-6 days a week in between hiking trips. I just had my annual physical and they said my blood pressure, heart rate, and cholesterol levels are that of a healthy, in shape teenager! I guess I owe a thanks for that to genetics and taking care of myself through exercise and avoidance of tobacco and alcohol. As the ol' saying goes, 'you reap what ya sow,' or 'you are what you eat!'

What has become tougher as I've grown older is sleeping well on hiking trips. When younger, I slept on my stomach but the aging neck forced me into becoming a side sleeper, and since the advent of that, I have struggled sleeping comfortably while backpacking.

Migrating to the Big Agnes air mattress last year helped, but I still do not sleep through the night (like a rock) like I did in my 20s. That's the major difference with the backpacking experience now vs. 30 years ago for me.

Chenango
07-23-2008, 15:31
This thread is very encouraging to those us with a few grays on top! I took 15 years off from hiking when my kids came along. Bad move (stopping hiking, not the kids!). I was too busy running around (or rather driving around) from school, to soccer, to basketball, to piano lessons, etc. I became a passive observer to physcial activity. Well that all changed when they went to college. I am now back in shape and love to backpack!! What a waste those years were (again, the lack of activity, not the kids). But, the body can recover, although not quite back to where it was in my 30's. This March I was backpacking on the AT in MA/CT in the cold and snow. I ran into a couple of mid-30's day hikers. They were saying that they were too old for this overnight stuff now and only went out for the day. It was only for college kids they said. :eek: Nant! If I had taken off my hat (lots of gray and white on top) they would have seen that I had probably 20 years on them. Bottom line: you are never too old!! :)

fehchet
07-23-2008, 15:45
Lone Wolf hit it on the button. ("it's about fitness level.")

Hammock Hanger
07-23-2008, 15:49
I agree with terrapin's assessment that older age has some benefits. One thing I have learned after talking to thru-hikers and long distance hikers is just maybe a thru-hike is not the only way to do the trail. Week-long ( I do annually) to month-long journeys (I have yet to do) are much more my style these days. The journey does not become a grind and you have something to look forward to next year. YMMV.

While thru-hiking was always a dream. I have found this to be true. I am much happier, as is my husband, when I stick to 500-700 miles at a time.

Hammock Hanger
07-23-2008, 15:54
...Age can matter..but so can being in shape to begin with, mental attitude, etc. And I'll take my 34 yo self over my 24 yo self for physical conditioning any day. :)

I would have been happy to have tried it at 34 myself. I still consider that to be a youngun'. As you get even older some of the sports and activities that you enjoyed in your earlier years now equal arthritis. Which is painful but if you love the hike you will push as hard as you can.

I'm glad you had the opportunity to hike in your 20's, & 30's. Hope you are still fit and doing what you love well into your 60's and beyond.

Hammock Hanger
07-23-2008, 15:55

I am confused??? What organization, what policies?? This was about old age vs young age when hiking???

Hammock Hanger
07-23-2008, 15:58
[quote=Hammock Hanger;670360]I hate to say this but age on the trail does make a difference. Sometimes good, sometimes not. With age comes life experience, but older bones and creaky joints.

I turned 54 during my AT hike in 2003 and felt the difference between that experience and the many section hikes during my 30's and 40's.

Now at 59, and having had a heart attack, I can only imagine there would be an even bigger difference. The one thing in favor of age is the sense of "pace". My wife and I talk about hiking the AT again but would probably break it in half and hike it over 2 years ...and allow about 4 months for each half.

As for older bones and creaky joints ...just keep the Glucosamine coming !!

'Slogger Yeah, my husband and I have been talking about hiking the AT or PCT when he retires. That's 9 long years from now. Maybe I'll have new knees by then. We have also said we will keep the mileage down and perhaps cut the trip in half. I think I have gotten the "gotta be a thru-hiker" out of my system. (About time!!)

Hammock Hanger
07-23-2008, 15:59
Well said Hammock Hanger.
You are quite right. It is much harder for an older person to hike the trail. I guess I can say that from experience, having did a thru at age 66.:sun

You are my hero!!:p

Hammock Hanger
07-23-2008, 16:02
a Wealthy Old Gentleman Decides To Go On A Hunting Safari In Africa, Taking His Faithful, Elderly Jack Russell Named Killer Dog, Along For The Company.

One Day The Old Jack Russell Starts Chasing Rabbits And Before Long, Discovers That He's Lost. Wandering About, He Notices A Leopard Heading Rapidly In His Direction With The Intention Of Having Lunch.

The Old Jack Russell Thinks, 'oh, Oh! I'm In Deep Doo-doo Now!' Noticing Some Bones On The Ground Close By, He Immediately Settles Down To Chew On The Bones With His Back To The Approaching Cat. Just As The Leopard Is About To Leap, The Old Jack Russell Exclaims Loudly, 'boy, That Was One Delicious Leopard! I Wonder If There Are Any More Around Here.'

Hearing This, The Young Leopard Halts His Attack In Mid-strike, A Look Of Terror Comes Over Him And He Slinks Away Into The Trees. 'whew! Says The Leopard, 'that Was Close! That Old Jack Russell Nearly Had Me!'

Meanwhile, A Monkey Who Had Been Watching The Whole Scene From A Nearby Tree, Figures He Can Put This Knowledge To Good Use And Trade It For Protection From The Leopard. So Off He Goes, But The Old Jack Russell Sees Him Heading After The Leopard With Great Speed, And Figures That Something Must Be Up.

The Monkey Soon Catches Up With The Leopard, Spills The Beans And Strikes A Deal For Himself With The Leopard.

The Young Leopard Is Furious At Being Made A Fool Of And Says, 'here, Monkey, Hop On My Back And See What's Going To Happen To That Conniving Canine!

Now, The Old Jack Russell Sees The Leopard Coming With The Monkey On His Back And Thinks, 'what Am I Going To Do Now?', But Instead Of Running, The Dog Sits Down With His Back To His Attackers, Pretending He Hasn't Seen Them Yet, And Just When They Get Close Enough To Hear, The Old Jack Russell Says...

'where's That Monkey? I Sent Him Off An Hour Ago To Bring Me Another Leopard!

Moral Of This Story....

Don't Mess With The Old Dogs...age And Skill Will Always Overcome Youth And Treachery! Bull**** And Brilliance Only Come With Age And Experience.

(courtesy Of My Friend Dday...)

love It!!!:d

Hammock Hanger
07-23-2008, 16:04
I understand that older thruhikers have a higher completion rate than younger ones. Sounds to me like the better bodies the young hikers have on average is not the most important factor in completing a thruhike attempt...

In the orginal post I stated that I did not think age really played out in the completion ratio. Just that the older hiker might have had a bit more pain on the way to Maine.

Mags
07-23-2008, 16:05
Hope you are still fit and doing what you love well into your 60's and beyond.

Up until my grandfather had a stroke in his late 70s, he was on his exercise bike every day.

Then there are the 10tn division troops I saw in 2002. In their late 70s (or older) had legs that were better than mine!

Then there is Grandma Gatewood.

ETc. Etc.

Live healthy and you tend to (but not always, I admit) stay healthy.

Again, I just made my comments because people somehow thought that getting to be in your 30s made you less active than your 20s. I found just the opposite.

True story:

I volunteered to help on a snowshoe race by doing sweep. There were two course that split. A 5k and a 10k course. Four of us were volunteers. Two of the guys were buddies in their late teens/early 20s. There was me (31 yo at the time), and a man ~mid 40s.

The younger guys complained myself and the other guy were going too fast and could not keep up..and "volunteered' to do the 5k sweep. :)

Hammock Hanger
07-23-2008, 16:06

You can be as fit as a fiddle, however, if your bones are brittle or you have jagged spurs, etc. There isn't much you can do about it. Some of that comes with age. like it or not. You my boy are still too young to know.

Pedaling Fool
07-23-2008, 16:12

I opened this thinking it was a question I could answer, but you already answered it.

Hammock Hanger
07-23-2008, 16:13
My 30s were pretty rough. I had three small children to take care of 24/7 (can anyone say sleep deprivation?) and was struggling with a severe back injury, as well as anemia. In spite of incipient muscle wasting and arthritic knees and all those other problems of advancing decrepitude, I feel better now.

I'd say, it's not what you have--because a lot of that was given to you--but it's what you do with what you have.

And, yeah, I didn't really appreciate that idea when I was younger...

Yeah, in my 30/40's I had 4 kids. I know all about sleep deprivation and anemia.

I have some bad knees now but I am so enjoying my life as ME and not just mom. Even with my aches and pains I love what I am doing and will continue as long as I possibly can. I just have to take it slower and rest more.

Hammock Hanger
07-23-2008, 16:14
But sometimes now it takes me all night what I used to do all night :D
'Slogger

he he ....:D :D

Footslogger
07-23-2008, 16:23
he he ....:D :D

===========================

...but did I mention that I still get the job done ;)

'Slogger

leeki pole
07-23-2008, 16:26
I used to be a competitive runner, until knee, hip and achilles injuries took their toll. Doc said that if you keep up your current mileage, you'll be an excellent candidate for a couple of new knees and achilles surgery. So I quit running two years ago and heaven forbid, took up walking (blasphemy!) and working my Labs 4-5 times a day, at lunch, before and after work. I work close to home and live in the country, so it's pretty easy for me to get in 3-4 miles a day, every day, rain or shine. The chronic pain is gone, although still a little stiff in the morning. Funny thing is, the stress about having to get in that training run 5 days a week, with a long run on the weekend is gone. We'll still go on a longish hike on the weekends, say 7-8 miles.

I think I'm in better shape now than when I was training for marathons. No meds anymore, either. Life is pretty doggone good.

Pedaling Fool
07-23-2008, 16:38
...I have some bad knees now but I am so enjoying my life as ME and not just mom. Even with my aches and pains I love what I am doing and will continue as long as I possibly can. I just have to take it slower and rest more.
...However, I will say, based on personal experience that weightlifting will go a long way in reducing many knee and back problems; that along with doing othere exercises in moderation. By that I mean too much of one thing, that normally is a good thing can, overtime, weaken the body. My "one" exercise used to be cycling, but my body got to use to it and I had a hard time doing other things, especially running. Now I mix it up, but weightlifting is a big part of it, it's just the thing my body needs to keep the muscles/tendons/legiment strengthened.

P.S. I think too many people have a bad impression or a certain prejudice of weightlifting because of body builders, that's not my idea of weightlifting. It's also another example of doing too much of one exercise.

Hammock Hanger
07-23-2008, 16:56
...However, I will say, based on personal experience that weightlifting will go a long way in reducing many knee and back problems; that along with doing othere exercises in moderation. By that I mean too much of one thing, that normally is a good thing can, overtime, weaken the body. My "one" exercise used to be cycling, but my body got to use to it and I had a hard time doing other things, especially running. Now I mix it up, but weightlifting is a big part of it, it's just the thing my body needs to keep the muscles/tendons/legiment strengthened.

P.S. I think too many people have a bad impression or a certain prejudice of weightlifting because of body builders, that's not my idea of weightlifting. It's also another example of doing too much of one exercise.

I do a small circuit of weight lifting 3-4 times a week. It is great for warding off osteoporosis. It will not make the bone spurs in my knees go away. But it is good for keeping the rest of me in good shape.

Hammock Hanger
07-23-2008, 16:57
===========================

...but did I mention that I still get the job done ;)

'Slogger

Lucky for BAT. :p

Footslogger
07-23-2008, 16:59
[quote=john gault;670741
P.S. I think too many people have a bad impression or a certain prejudice of weightlifting because of body builders, that's not my idea of weightlifting. It's also another example of doing too much of one exercise.[/quote]

I agree with you completely and I think it stems from the tendency to lift too heavy of weights. Darn right amazing how much more effective the lighter weights/increased repetitions has on the muscles of aging bodies. After all ...in your 50's the you're just trying to hold on to the muscle mass you have and keep it toned - - not to beef it up.

'Slogger

Wags
07-23-2008, 17:20
it's a scientific fact the body physically depreciates as you get older. it's not the whole puzzle though, just a big piece

Tin Man
07-23-2008, 17:59
it's a scientific fact the body physically depreciates as you get older. it's not the whole puzzle though, just a big piece

Neglect, abuse, and genes are the other major factors.

CrumbSnatcher
07-23-2008, 18:07
THERE ARE TWO BULLS SITTING ON A HILL,LOOKING DOWN AT A BUNCH OF COWS. THE YOUNGER BULL SAYS HEY,LETS RUN DOWN THERE AND S**** A COW! THE OLDER BULL SAYS NO, LETS WALK DOWN AND S**** THEM ALL!!! in 1999 (at the age of 32) it took me 6 months and a week to thruhike. in 2003 (35 yrs old)5 months and call me crazy but, next year i will be 42 and have a sub 3 month endurance hike planned.

mrc237
07-23-2008, 18:28
I happened to read the book" Long Distance Hiking on the AT for the Older Adventurer" written by David Ryan, and in it he explaines how hiking long distances can be the perfect pursuits for people in their late forties, fifties, sixties, and even seventies. In it he states,"In many ways the older hiker has an advantage over the younger in successfully achieving their goal. The older hiker is more likely to have enough maturity and personal security not to be distracted by temptations along the way and actually to enjoy and thrive in a world of lower stimulation and calm". I believe this to be true. There is no doubt that a young,fresh body is going to have a physical advantage over an older, time worn one, but as someone else stated, it is more complicated than just that. The older person who has remained active, eats well and has stayed in shape, and doesn't have major injuries and health issues, is going to bring with them to the trail not only a physical edge, but a mental edge in the form of wisdom as well, which usually only is earned with age, and this wisdom is what will help them to succeed.

And usually has much more disposable $$$$ which helps a whole lot!!! :D

mrc237
07-23-2008, 18:30
"Gettin old ain't for sissies" Bette Davis

sheepdog
07-23-2008, 18:31
Genetics trump all, choose your parents wisely.

Sly
07-23-2008, 18:36
Lucky for BAT. :p

and Phizer! :eek:

sheepdog
07-23-2008, 18:39
and Phizer! :eek:
If it lasts more than 4 hours, see your doctor.:D:D

Hammock Hanger
07-23-2008, 19:04
"Gettin old ain't for sissies" Bette Davis
That is a signature line I use on my email.

Cookerhiker
07-23-2008, 19:06
I'm in better shape aerobically now at 60 than I was in my 20s & 30s. As a retiree, I have time to exercise more regularly and my eating habits have improved. I wish I knew and did in my 20s what I know and do now.

Re weights, my misuse of free weights have given me a shoulder injury which is now the object of physical therapy for 8 weeks. Slow to heal but at least I can still hike and cycle.

Hammock Hanger
07-23-2008, 19:20
I'm in better shape aerobically now at 60 than I was in my 20s & 30s. As a retiree, I have time to exercise more regularly and my eating habits have improved. I wish I knew and did in my 20s what I know and do now.

Re weights, my misuse of free weights have given me a shoulder injury which is now the object of physical therapy for 8 weeks. Slow to heal but at least I can still hike and cycle.

60, you jest!!

Krewzer
07-23-2008, 19:21
And usually has much more disposable $$$$ which helps a whole lot!!! :D
Yep! I've been puttin' my social security checks in the bank for a PCT hike in '09. How 'bout it EZ, wanna go with Team Geritol?

You know..... if you spend your youth right, you'll be pretty banged up by the time old age gets you.

I always liked that conversation between the mountain men, Chris Lapp and Jeremiah Johnson;

"You've come far, pilgrim,"
"Feels like far."

"Were it worth the trouble?"
"Ah, what trouble?"

minnesotasmith
07-23-2008, 19:48
"Any man who boasts that anything he did when he was 20, he can still do at 50, didn't do that much when he was 20." ;)

Bear Cables
07-23-2008, 20:06
Yappy, I absolutely agree about the older people staying active and having my respect! My parents and in-laws are in their early-mid 80's. All 4 of them have all kinds of physical problems and all 4 droned on since they were in their 50's that "I'm getting too old......." for whatever it was, how turning 50 meant everything would soon fall apart, etc. It was all mental. They truly believed that they SHOULD fall apart by a certain age, so they did. I get lectured by them all about how "you're too old for that now" "you can't keep this up much longer" "you know, you're over 50 now....." I hate that. So every time I find a news article about someone in their 80's 90's or older doing something fabulous like skydiving, bungee jumping, hiking, etc I send it on to them. I was once on a plane with my daughter and we were seated with a lady who said she was 93. Well dressed and very well spoken, she told us how she flies all over the world to visit family and friends. I told my daughter "THAT'S who I want to be!" If I could chose how I'll die it'll be peacefully while on a flight to the far side of the world when I'm 100!

I couldn't agree with you more. I am 54 and can't wait to retire at 55 so I can hike more and play more golf. Use it or loose it!

Lone Wolf
07-23-2008, 20:07
I couldn't agree with you more. I am 54 and can't wait to retire at 55 so I can hike more and play more golf. Use it or loose it!

golf? heck yeah!

rafe
07-23-2008, 20:10
"Any man who boasts that anything he did when he was 20, he can still do at 50, didn't do that much when he was 20." ;)

Hmm. One of the most inspiring books I ever read was Moxie (http://www.amazon.com/Moxie-American-Challenge-Philip-Weld/dp/0316929298), about a guy that won the 1980 OSTAR single-handed trans-Atlantic sailing race... at age 65.

Footslogger
07-23-2008, 20:37
=============================

...it's just called "selective memory" - - or maybe it's "wishful thinking" ??

'Slogger

Phreak
07-23-2008, 20:44
Depends on the individual. I've ran 50k & 50 mile races with runners in their 60's & 70's.

Bear Cables
07-23-2008, 22:28
. I hurt my left knee skiing 30 years ago. It hurt forever after that. I couldn't even kneel on it and taking a long walk was like a knife inside of it. Then I started hiking 7 years ago. And hiking more. And more. The pain started up, I took Advil and kept walking. I never once said "Oh my knee hurts, so I better stop." Now I NEVER have that knee pain anymore. Whatever it was, it just needed more work and strengthening and I finally gave it that.

We are so on the same page. Three years ago while on a ski trip my husband took a freak fall and separated his shoulder. He said that maybe his skiing days were over. Well if there is anything I like as well as hiking it's skiing. Same trip my son, an excellent skiier just fell over on a snow bank and broke his collar bone! My response was to go out and buy new gear for everyones birthdays so we would not have to rent lower quality gear! We are still skiing! I won't stop pushing myself. My husband asked me recently what it was I liked so much about backpacking. It's the atheltic challenge. I never get tired of the challenge.

fiddlehead
07-23-2008, 22:45
The OP thinks he is old at 51.
Wow! WHen i was 51, i finished my first 100 mile race (Leadville) AND started my triple crown hike.

Never did i consider myself old.
Now, i'm feeling a lot slower (58 today) but i attribute that to a new life with no hiking, a little jogging (get's too hot for a really long jog here in Thailand), and a 3 year old son who will probably get me in better shape in another year or two of trying to keep up.

I agree with those saying that being in shape is much more important than age. (of course i could change my mind in the next 10 years)

take-a-knee
07-23-2008, 23:03
If it lasts more than 4 hours, see your doctor.:D:D

No, tell everyone you know!

take-a-knee
07-23-2008, 23:04

Rotator cuff?

mrc237
07-23-2008, 23:13
Yep! I've been puttin' my social security checks in the bank for a PCT hike in '09. How 'bout it EZ, wanna go with Team Geritol?

You know..... if you spend your youth right, you'll be pretty banged up by the time old age gets you.

I always liked that conversation between the mountain men, Chris Lapp and Jeremiah Johnson;

"You've come far, pilgrim,"
"Feels like far."

"Were it worth the trouble?"
"Ah, what trouble?"

Who's in the crew? Completed to Toulomne Meadow in 04'.

Skidsteer
07-23-2008, 23:19

I ain't as good as I once was, but I'm as good once as I ever was.

Seriously, I can do way more at 45 than I could at 20.

leeki pole
07-24-2008, 09:31
I ain't as good as I once was, but I'm as good once as I ever was.

Seriously, I can do way more at 45 than I could at 20.
Might make a good country song.;)

Pedaling Fool
07-24-2008, 09:36
Might make a good country song.;)
http://youtube.com/watch?v=f9f-lXqUZ18

kyhiker1
07-24-2008, 09:46
Okay, so I'm some kind of physical freak for my age - 52. I have zero aches and pains, I have zero health problems, I take no prescription meds and no "holistic" things to help with joints, etc. I move faster and am far more agile than friends I have who are in their 30's. I am rarely sore after a long hiking day and a couple of Advil take care of it. I see plenty of "young" people popping Advil on the trail. My own doctor says I'm one of the healthiest people she has seen in my age group. My only problem on the trail was flat feet and I fixed that with better arch supports. I've had flat feet my entire life, not as a result of age. I huff and puff going up the steep climbs but again, I've always done that. I have never smoked - anything. I often say I may be one of the last living people in my age group that can say that. I do drink - wine and beer and the occasional dram of good Scotch. I don't run or do any kind of daily work out. I eat meat. I just made up my mind a long time ago that age is only on a calendar and I would not give in to "aging" just because other people said I should be a certain way by a certain age. It seems to be working. :sun
Thanks for the words,I couldnt have said it better myself.

Mr HaHa
07-24-2008, 10:14
I hope I am not in the seat next to you!

middle to middle
07-24-2008, 11:59
What about the grandmas and grandpas out there. I recall a grandma who walked the trail carrying a bag and no knapsack.

rafe
07-24-2008, 12:33
What about the grandmas and grandpas out there. I recall a grandma who walked the trail carrying a bag and no knapsack.

Granny Gatewood (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Grandma_Gatewood). Thru-hiked twice, way back when.

Plodderman
07-24-2008, 15:04
I just get smarter and spend less time thinking I am invincible and hike with the aches and pains. I will admit to getting older but I enjoy hiking more as the destination isn't as important as the hiking itself.

What age got to do with it? I am just hitting my second wind.

BlindMoose
07-24-2008, 15:19
I agree that age is mostly a number. I am in nearly as good a shape strength wise as i was as a paratrooper 25 yrs ago - but my stamina, mental strength and wisdom are much greater. I also understand tha the ratio of finishers in 'mid-age- folks is greater, i think because we know that the body is aging and we accept it. When knees hurt we adjust, too much weight - we lighten up, and we are not shocked into great disappointment over it, we simply accept it and kepp moving. Overall (for me) this is the best time of life wholistically for a thru-hike.
And MrsBaggins - I have similar blessings, hey good genetics are definitely a plus.
BM

Bare Bear
07-25-2008, 17:05
Including all the small sections I have done the AT at least twice now. I did 500 miles of the AT at 19 just coming off major knee surgery. It was tough for a few weeks then got easier. I did the Wilderness and the Whites because I heard they were the hardest parts.
At 32 I did another 500 miles and found it harder than the first time although I was still in pretty good shape then. I had four knee surgeries by then.
At 54 I did a thru and I thought I would die the first month. It got easier and but if not for some mishaps including Lyme Disease I would have enjoyed it more. I should have listened to Ranger Dawg and Model T who told me to "slow down and enjoy it". In 2009 I intend to do just that and I am sure that first month will be difficult but I'll make it again. Age has taught me that being fast is not always a good thing.

Mrs Baggins
07-25-2008, 19:22
No, tell everyone you know!

I want to be in the ER when that guy walks in!! Or waddles in..........:D

minnesotasmith
07-25-2008, 19:35
Granny Gatewood (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Grandma_Gatewood). Thru-hiked twice, way back when.

Earl Schafer call her "a fraud"?

Speer Carrier
07-25-2008, 20:59

Gosh, I would hope you're in good shape at 52. That's pretty young. I'm 65 and don't take any prescription drugs either, and I still run in 10k races on a regular basis. My father-in-law is 90 and doesn't take any prescription medicine, square dances 3-4 mights per week and still hikes in the desert near his home in Tucson.