PDA

View Full Version : A question of temperature

app-pat
07-23-2008, 12:33
Hi there,
I will begin a northbound thru-hike at the beginning of February 2009. As I am living up north (Montreal,Quebec,Canada) I have some difficulty figuring which kind of temperature I will encounter. Could you give me some idea of what you think is the average, extreme cold and extreme warm for Georgia at this time of the year? Feel free to relate to your own experience.

Thank you
Patrick

Lone Wolf
07-23-2008, 12:37
single digits and as high as the 60s.

Blissful
07-23-2008, 12:59
Welcome to White Blaze

Also anticipate snow and icy conditions. And solitude.

Pedaling Fool
07-23-2008, 13:42
I’ve been to Georgia three times – Mar. 06, Apr 07, & Mar 08. All three times I’ve seen snow and ice. This year temps got down to ~17 degrees, with a reported wind chill of around 0 degrees. However the snow/ice never stays too long, the days will usually be nice, but nights will be cold.
2006 (http://whiteblaze.net/forum/vbg/showimage.php?i=15603&c=517)
2007 (http://whiteblaze.net/forum/vbg/showimage.php?i=17901&c=member&imageuser=6936)
2008 (http://whiteblaze.net/forum/vbg/showimage.php?i=24271&c=member&imageuser=6936)

Tennessee Viking
07-23-2008, 13:51
Hi there,
I will begin a northbound thru-hike at the beginning of February 2009. As I am living up north (Montreal,Quebec,Canada) I have some difficulty figuring which kind of temperature I will encounter. Could you give me some idea of what you think is the average, extreme cold and extreme warm for Georgia at this time of the year? Feel free to relate to your own experience.

Thank you
PatrickYou will need some traction for ice and snow on trail.

Expect warm winter days then sudden drops and snow fall. Through the Smokies to Hot Springs, possibly Roan Mtn, you will see some the most freezing temps.

A few hikers have a rule of thumb of keeping their cold gear until Damacus or a bit further in VA. You really don't want to get rid of it when walkng in the upper elevations.

berninbush
07-23-2008, 14:20
Don't forget that American contributors are giving you temperatures in Farenheit, not Celcius. ;)

C=5*(F-32)/9 if you are ambitious enough to convert in your head.

app-pat
07-23-2008, 14:46
Thank you for these quick responses!

As for the solitude I am starting with a partner which occurs to be my girlfriend and I hope we will get along as well as at home presently.

As for the ice I have those rubber crampons the Yaktrack to prevent any injury and it may also accelerate my snow-walking. (plus hiking poles)

To convert all those meaningless (to me) Fahrenheits I simply use Google by typing (19 F in C). I may become more agile in converting during my hike!

And for the cold I have a 19F western mountaineering bag. I can also sleep with my down layers (montbell U.L down) and down booties in case of exceptionally cold conditions. I will also carry an emergency blanket to use as a vapour barrier in case of serious trouble.

One thing that may fail is my hydration system because I think that frozen platypus are no fun to use. And I suppose storing them in my backpack wont help because water will probably freeze in the tube anyway. I may have no choice but to start with the Nalgene/Insulator option.

If you think I am going towards a certain death using this configuration I prefer to know before leaving!

My reasons for starting so early are :
-Avoiding the crowd
-I must be back for September 1st and have no idea of my girlfriend pace.
-I time allows we may continue after Katahdin using the international Appalachian Trail which goes North up to Gaspesia in the province of Quebec (an additional 1034km 642 miles)

Patrick