PDA

View Full Version : What are the differences between "short term" and "long term" re-supply stores?

Dworak
02-29-2004, 16:19
In many of the books I have read the stores are always categorized into either short term or long term. What exactly is the difference between the two? I assume that short term will be similar to what one would find in a convince store and that long term would be a big supermarket. However, is short term usually more expensive as well? How many days of supplies can one expect at a short term store? Anything else? Thanks in advance.

Peaks
02-29-2004, 16:45
The difference between "short term" resupply and "long term" resupply is subjective. Generally speaking, a store offering short term resupply would have a more limited selection of items than a store offering long term resupply. It's all a matter of opinion and what you want to eat.

I don't know of any one doing a price comparison between the two types.

TJ aka Teej
02-29-2004, 18:47
In many of the books I have read the stores are always categorized into either short term or long term. What exactly is the difference between the two? I assume that short term will be similar to what one would find in a convince store and that long term would be a big supermarket. However, is short term usually more expensive as well? How many days of supplies can one expect at a short term store? Anything else? Thanks in advance.
That's about right, Dworak. It's based on the kinds of supply available. Short term supplies are candy bars, slim jims, pastries, and maybe a sandwich. Add rice and noodle dinners, peanut butter, and stove fuel to that and it's long term.
With some miles under a hiker's boots, hunger and imagination can turn just about any mini-mart into a long term resupply stop. For me to list any store as 'short term' it would really have to offer a limited selection.

weary
02-29-2004, 22:01
is short term usually more expensive as well? How many days of supplies can one expect at a short term store? .

Short term is usually more expensive, but you can never know for sure. Supermarkets are cheaper than convenient stores. But some wise near trail stores deliberately cater to hikers. They stock long term stuff, but at convenient store prices.

As for how long. It depends on how long you can survive on Snickers, cheap breads (quality, not price) and mostly snack stuff. Plan ahead and do what you have to do to complete whatever your goals for the trail maybe.

Weary

bearbait2k4
03-01-2004, 00:08
Generally speaking, you will only (or mainly) find foods at a short term re-supply store.

Keep in mind that re-supplying also means TP, plastic baggies, toothpaste, film, batteries, first aid supplies, vitamin suppliments, or anything else that you may need to pick up, other than food, along the way. Most short-term resupply stores cannot be counted to have many of these items.

stranger
03-01-2004, 01:23
In my experience I think a long-term resupply is generally good for most things you'll need, however I have been very dissappointed by so called long-term resupply stores. On the other hand I have found everything I needed at a short-term or "very limited" resupply...you never know.

Long-term resupply listings are NOT always supermarkets, but they are usually large "general stores" in town that have most things, Horler's Grocery in Unionville NY is a good example.