PDA

View Full Version : Starting out

BuffalosGandalf
07-23-2008, 13:00
OK...a quick history... I have always wanted to do the backpacking thing. My dad has always had a bum knee and foot from a serious car accident when he was 17. The only thing he could do for me was take the pop-up to a pretty remote campground in Franklinville, NY. Of which I would just wander all over the woods exploring anything and everything. But was never able to do what I really wanted. For my 14th Birthday(1984) I got a really nice aluminum external frame backpack. used 1 time when a cousin and I headed out one night to trap muskrat and we needed to stay near the traps to make sure they didn't get stolen. I still have it and I'm sure it is not something I would want to try hiking with. I know I need to get some "practice" in so I am looking to do some weekend trips with my 2 boys aged 4(almost 5) and my 8 year old. We geocache and I tend to find the caches that are a good hike from parking. Both boys are pretty good about following my directions so they don't get hurt. My 4 YO is extremely agile and dexterous. the 8 YO can be clumsy, but if he takes his time and thinks things thru he is pretty reliable.

I'm thinking of doing the Conservation Trial in Western NY. Anyone hike this? after that we may section hike the Finger Lakes Trail...again anyone hike this? I am shooting for starting a good section hike some time in 2012. Both boys will be older and will be more prepared to do it..if they want.

What are some of the things I should be searching for on WB? obviously gear...but what else...I know this is something you don't just go and do...it could cost you your life.

I appreciate any and all comments/information.

BG

buff_jeff
07-23-2008, 21:15
Go out with an open mind and more food than you think you'll ever eat. Hiking really isn't rocket science. Plenty of people try to make it that, but it's hard to screw up if you have common sense. Have fun!

whitefoot_hp
07-23-2008, 21:20
the only thing that comes with 'practice' is getting in shape and finding preferences for certain gear or certain gear concepts (hammocking, lightweight, etc.)

while it could 'cost you your life,' as long you bring functional equipment this is not likely to happen.