PDA

View Full Version : Fires

tucker0104
07-23-2008, 17:53
How often can you make fires when you camp? How do you dry clothes if you can't make a fire? Is it possible to keep anything dry if it rains for a day or days?

rafe
07-23-2008, 18:07
How often can you make fires when you camp? How do you dry clothes if you can't make a fire? Is it possible to keep anything dry if it rains for a day or days?

Campfires are becoming a bit of a rarity for me... but I mostly hike alone. If I'm at a shelter with a fire pit, and if there are other folks there, and if it's a cool night, I'll cooperate in setting up a fire if other folks are into it as well. But generally if it's just me, I won't bother.

If it rains for days and days... you get wet. Thru-hikers typically stop in towns every three, four or five days. Most important: keep one set of light clothes, or at least one base layer absolutely protected from rain, for use only at camp. So at least you'll be warm and dry once you get to a shelter or inside your tent. In the AM when you start walking, you put on wet clothes. Yeah it sucks, but it's not quite as bad as it sounds.

Nicksaari
07-23-2008, 18:09
ill second that Terrapin. are you in the medical field?

rafe
07-23-2008, 18:10
ill second that Terrapin. are you in the medical field?

The scrub shirt? Does not signify medical occupation. Just a good shirt for hiking.

tucker0104
07-23-2008, 18:11
I have hiked in wet clothes before, it wasn't that bad. What do you use to guarantee you have a set of dry clothes. I was planning on bringing a rain poncho that fits over my pack and then a pack poncho. What else?

rafe
07-23-2008, 18:12
I have hiked in wet clothes before, it wasn't that bad. What do you use to guarantee you have a set of dry clothes. I was planning on bringing a rain poncho that fits over my pack and then a pack poncho. What else?

A standard stuff sack with a kitchen garbage bag for a liner.

SGT Rock
07-23-2008, 18:13
How often can you make fires when you camp?
Not thjat often. It is work. At the end of the day you want to do as little as possible.

How do you dry clothes if you can't make a fire?
Generally I dried my clothing by wearing it. Most hiking clothing is synthetic which melts if it gets too close to a fire anyway. But if you shop smart and manage body heat/moisture most of the time you can be relativly dry using body heat methods.

Is it possible to keep anything dry if it rains for a day or days?
Sure. Put it in a zip lock and never open or use it until it stops raining. That would only apply to a few items - everything else is going to get a little damp at least.