PDA

View Full Version : Camping by yourself

tucker0104
07-23-2008, 17:57
How often did you have to camp by yourself while hiking the AT (assuming that you did not want to hike by yourself)? Was anyone else a little afraid to camp by themselves at first?

SGT Rock
07-23-2008, 18:00
I camped by myself for most of the nights I spent on the trail. I went for up to 5 days without even seeing another person. I loved it.

rafe
07-23-2008, 18:01
"Have to?" I guess you could find a partner to hike with and never have to... Or you could hike to a shelter and set up a tent nearby.

But seriously, you get used to it pretty quick. It's no big deal.

Footslogger
07-23-2008, 18:02
How often did you have to camp by yourself while hiking the AT (assuming that you did not want to hike by yourself)? Was anyone else a little afraid to camp by themselves at first?
==========================

In the beginning (northbound) it was pretty hard to end up camping by yourself, unless you really went off trail. As you get further along the crowd thins out and, unless you have a hiking partner, it's quite common to find yourself camping alone ...and loving every minute of it.

As for being afraid ...that varies from person to person. I'm pretty used to things that go "bump in the night" so it didn't/doesn't bother me much. If you think that is going to be a problem for you I'd suggest you consider pairing up with someone.

'Slogger

tucker0104
07-23-2008, 18:04
I think I would be fine but just have never tried it before. So used to my girlfriend making me search out every sound that I don't know what I would do if I got to sleep a whole night while camping.

WalkingStick75
07-23-2008, 18:06
90% of the time I am by myself and anyone that says they have never woke up in the middle of the night and wondered what that noise was...... are not being truthful :) to answer your question, not "afraid" but it does take some getting use to. It is part of the human DNA, we like to be around other humans.

Nicksaari
07-23-2008, 18:07
taking girlfriends packing is for the birds...
not unless shes a hardcore packer.

alone is where its AT. no pun

tucker0104
07-23-2008, 18:09
I totally agree. I took here twice because she said she loved to hike and camp. The first time was 23 miles in two days and that was non-stop complaining. I gave her another try and she complained how hot it was. No more camping with my girlfriend.

Hammock Hanger
07-23-2008, 19:13
I totally agree. I took here twice because she said she loved to hike and camp. The first time was 23 miles in two days and that was non-stop complaining. I gave her another try and she complained how hot it was. No more camping with my girlfriend.

23 miles in 2 days is a lot of miles if you are in the mountains and new to the game.

The way to get someone to like it is to go at it slow and easy, build up. It has to be at the beginner's speed. I have brought many adults and children into the world of backpacking and it really needs to be a gentle process.

If you are heading out for some hiking and camping at your level, leave the beginner at home. Otherwise you will both suffer.

That said, I camped whenever possible alone. (Can't count my 300 mile shelter rat period in 2004.) I don't jump at every noise but there have been a few hold your breath moments.

double j
07-23-2008, 19:17
yup im not afraid to admit ,....i hear stuff ,and im freaked out....but oh well u learn to live with it.....i once heard an owl and thought it was a coyote....u could always buy u a dog.........

Hammock Hanger
07-23-2008, 19:19
taking girlfriends packing is for the birds...
not unless shes a hardcore packer.

alone is where its AT. no pun

Taking boyfriends packing is for the birds... unless he is a hardcore packer!! -- I couldn't resist! :rolleyes:

tucker0104
07-23-2008, 19:40
But if I bring a dog then I can only bring him on a certain part of the trail and have to worry about getting him moved up the rest of the trail. I definitely want a dog and was thinking what better way to get to know him then the first 3 or 4 months with him is on the trail. He could be like my little workhorse donkey. Just kidding.

tucker0104
07-23-2008, 19:42
I think the camping by myself would be fine after a couple nights. Its just the whole what if factor that kind of freaks me out.

Early Bird
07-23-2008, 19:53
i'm feeling as though i might be in the same boat as you.the thought of camping alone makes me slightly nervous.even though i know i will be fine.the fear of the unknown is what haunts....as well as television that puts fear into our minds.

taildragger
07-23-2008, 19:54
I think the camping by myself would be fine after a couple nights. Its just the whole what if factor that kind of freaks me out.

Just go out on a few overnighters and that should calm your fears. The first time that I went solo I had a critter that just wouldn't leave me alone at night (knowing my luck it was something cool like an oversized opossum). The next morning I could see crushed grass that went all around my camp site and that weirded me out a little bit, not as much as the two people that I woke up to that were trying to find me to fine me for camping in an area that I shouldn't have (couldn't make it the legal 200' off trail and still find level ground). Nice thing about stealthing, they may have found my bear bag but they never found me :D.

Blissful
07-23-2008, 20:24
Agree - try some weekends on your own to get the feel.
Though I did do the hike with my son, most of the time I was alone - hiking alone 90% of the time and in my tent a good many times.

Sir-P-Alot
07-23-2008, 20:33
On my 99 hike I only spent 3-4 nights out of the 6 1/2 months alone. It just worked out that way. I usually camped at shelters or bars.

DAKS
07-23-2008, 20:38
you will be fine! ear plugs are yer' best friend for things that go "bump in the night!" have fun!!!! as others have stated, try a few nights out by yerself and see how it goes. you will have some of the most memorable experiences while camping solo! good luck!

whitefoot_hp
07-23-2008, 21:04
coming from the modern world of walls, alarms, concrete, and constant human contact, sleeping alone in the woods will seem entirely unnatural at first. it only makes sense.

my experience shows that if you have a night or two of poor sleep due to 'discomfort,' you will sleep fine the next night, eventually you will accept it and enjoy it.

Plodderman
07-23-2008, 21:28
I do quite a bit of hiking on the AT and do some of it alone. I prefer taking someone who I get along with but I would rather hike alone than hike with someone who gets on my nerves.

I have only had a couple of times when no one showed up at the shelter.

Bob S
07-23-2008, 21:34
Alone is great, I prefer to go camping alone.

But if a Hawaiian Tropic bikini team came along I could be talked into sharing my tent…

rainmaker
07-23-2008, 21:42
you will be fine! ear plugs are yer' best friend for things that go "bump in the night!" have fun!!!! as others have stated, try a few nights out by yerself and see how it goes. you will have some of the most memorable experiences while camping solo! good luck!

I agree. At least with earplugs you won't hear the low pitched growl and the Darth Vader like breathing of the beast as it closes it's jaws around your neck. Goodnight Dear and sleep tight.

Jo-To
07-23-2008, 22:06
As already said there will be some nervousness at first but you will get use to it. I did a few alone trips in my area before i took my first AT trip alone and i was fine. I just got back last week from my first AT trip and i had a great time. I only had enough time for about 4 days on the trail,but only 1 night was alone. The others were spent in shelters and hostels. My next trip will be NoBo starting in Ga. and i plan on going alone then too.Have fun and good luck.

double j
07-23-2008, 22:30
as i watched the alaskan exp.....they had wolfes who kept lurking outside there cabin at night.....so one guy started to pee on everything within 100 ft. of there cabin and the wolfes would come to that boundary line and stop.why i dunno

Bulldawg
07-23-2008, 22:34
as i watched the alaskan exp.....they had wolfes who kept lurking outside there cabin at night.....so one guy started to pee on everything within 100 ft. of there cabin and the wolfes would come to that boundary line and stop.why i dunno

Probably the same reason I pee around my garden. For some reason it really cuts down on the animal activity. Why, I don't know. But I assure you it does.

Jimmers
07-24-2008, 00:14

I got used to camping alone after getting annoyed at people bailing on me at the last minute. Given the choice between going it alone or not going at all, I'll take alone, even if I do get a bit nervous at times. I actually prefer going alone now, no one else to annoy you except you. I section hike, so by now I'm less worried about camping alone than I am about what might happen to my car wherever I left it.:cool:

You get used to the noises, especially when you realize that what sounds like a bear rooting around outside your tent is probably just a raccoon. Or a skunk, in which case it's best not to get too curious anyway.:D

Boudin
07-24-2008, 08:59
Camping alone takes some getting use to. For that matter, just being in the woods at night takes getting use to. Most people won't admit it, but I would bet most of us were nervous the very first night that we spent in the woods. The thing that got me over the fear of the dark and the fear of being alone was to get rid of my tent and get a tarp. When I was in my tent, the smallest critter would sound like godzilla coming through the woods. When it is quiet at night, even a beetle crawling through dry leaves makes a hell of a noise. All of these noise were amplified by my mind because I couldn't see what was outside my tent.

Making the move tho the tarp really helped me sleep well at night even when I hear noises. If I hear something that disturbs me all I have to do is open my eyes and raise my head to take a quick look around. It is almost always something tiny and I laugh at myself and go back to sleep. Also when sleeping under the tarp (or even if you sleep in a hammock), I found that the moon even when less than half full provides plenty of light to see what is out there without turning on a light. It's a great nightlight and you can sleep like a baby.

Your fear or nervousness will go away and that first night alone won't be near as bad as you think it will be. Go have fun and look forward to it! And remember, if it gets too nerve-racking.....try Ambien CR and bourbon.

Mags
07-24-2008, 11:27
The thing that got me over the fear of the dark and the fear of being alone was to get rid of my tent and get a tarp.

The first time I slept under a tarp was interesting.

Now, I had done many solo hikes by that point (AT, LT and other weekends), but sleeping under a tarp (or the stars) was new to me.

I admit to being a bit on edge because it was not something I was used to.

At about 3am, I wake up. I see these beady eyes looking at me perhaps 3 ft away.

I let out a loud yell...

The bunny rabbit hopped away. :)

mudhead
07-24-2008, 11:45

Take her car camping somewhere with swimming and showers and shade.

2 mile hike in to a waterfall.

Pedaling Fool
07-24-2008, 12:44
One of the first times I camped by myself I heard this (http://soundboard.com/sb/Haunted_Screams_sounds.aspx), (click on sound track #12). I've since heard that owls and other animals like bobcats make this noise. My link is not an animal, but it's the closest I could find that sounded like what I heard that night, scared the **** out of me. I guess it was an owl because it came from directly above me in a tree, sounded like it was only about 15 feet above me.

Jim Adams
07-24-2008, 14:01

Most canines mark their territory via urine and recognize other urine as a territory boundry.

Try camping in your tent at a shelter area the first night. At a shelter area but further from the shelter the second night. Eat and drink at the shelter the third night but go down the trail and camp at the first flat spot. Continue to move further away each day until you are comfortable in the middle of nowhere by yourself.

I had wolves sniffing about 6" from my head on the otherside of the tent wall...totally cool!

geek

boarstone
07-24-2008, 14:12

Get a new girlfriend, at least one who likes to hike....that's why it's called "dating" not "mating"....:eek:

The Solemates
07-24-2008, 14:13
i fly solo about 50% of the time. the other half, my wife is with me.

Monkeywrench
07-24-2008, 14:16
i fly solo about 50% of the time. the other half, my wife is with me.

Are we still talking about camping here, or ...? :D

mister krabs
07-24-2008, 14:25
Are we still talking about camping here, or ...? :D

HA! he's doing pretty good @ a 50% ratio!

Wags
07-24-2008, 16:04
i saw bear grylls pee around where he was sleeping one night in africa. said it's the testosterone in the pee that keeps critters away. he said it won't work for ladies for obvious reasons

edtheshark
07-24-2008, 17:05
It all depends on your abilities and comfort level,alot of times its hard to get away from the crowds on the AT ....be well versed in you wilderness first aid and map reading skills, because when things go wrong you have only yourself and your wits for backup.

John Klein
07-24-2008, 17:55
Once I was alone and trying to sleep when I thought I heard a growling sound outside. I yelled so that whatever it was would know I heard them. Then I realized it was my stomach growling.

rafe
07-24-2008, 18:05
Camping alone in winter in New England... is not something I'd recommend, however. Unless you really, really, really know your stuff.

Doughnut
07-24-2008, 18:24
Get a new girlfriend, at least one who likes to hike....that's why it's called "dating" not "mating"....:eek:

where were you 30 years ago???????

DoughNut

Silver Bear
07-24-2008, 18:43
I just started backpacking this year. I decided that if it was to happen, I would have to be able to camp by myself. So I made my first overnight by myself. I had to see if I could handle it. Sure it was a nervous night, but I survived, and greatly enjoyed it.
Now I have the 70 miles of the AT in the Smokies done. Only 2,104 to go.

bloodmountainman
07-24-2008, 18:59
It's all a matter of knowing you are at the top of the food chain, and whatever goes bump in the night, you can bump back!:D

whitefoot_hp
07-25-2008, 08:58
does anyone view camping solo in a tent different than camping solo under a small open tarp? obviously a few more layers of nylon is not going to make you safer, but the perception of being closed in may increase morale.

Lyle
07-25-2008, 09:12
The first few times you swear you have a bear right outside your tent and finally get the male appendages to shine your light out only to find a ground squirrel or raccoon, you will start to relax.

For many of us, if we didn't get comfortable camping alone, we would have a LOT less outdoor experience under our belts. Good hiking partners, with a schedule that can coordinate with your's are to be nurtured and cherished.

I agree with some others, 23 miles in two days was too ambitious for most newbies. SLOW, easy, interesting first few trips will pay huge dividends in long-term rewards. This even applies to your "buff", in-shape friends - just don't be as obvious that you are holding back for their ego's sake. Males are real fragile that way. My goal is to have everyone thinking, "That was tuff, but I could have done more if I really pushed." instead of "FU#@! WHAT DID THIS IDIOT GET ME INTO!!!!"

JAK
07-25-2008, 09:19
It's a rush. I like how the mind plays games on itself. More apt to see critters also. The only reason I head back to civilization is because I get the feeling those bums just aren't missing me enough, and that ain't no lie. :)

double d
07-25-2008, 09:58
Rent the film Blair Witch Project:D! Seriously, I think what happens is that the mind goes into hyper-gear when it comes to solo hiking when its really, really dark out at night in the woods! Most homes and communities still have dim lighting around their homes at night or at least open space, so its not that dark, while solo hiking means you sleep alone in the dark woods, but its great, what freedom! Just give yourself some time to get used to it and maybe bring some music to listen too at night.

earlyriser26
07-25-2008, 10:47
I've often camped alone and once you get used to animals walking around outside your tent your fine. I've always assumed it was not a bear and until I learn different it doesn't bother me. Anyway, whats the difference if a bear is walking around 1 tent or twenty. If the worst happens your hiking partner won't be able to help anyway. Hiking alone gives you freedom to set your own pace and stop when you want. I always feel pressured by a group to go faster or wait for people.

Grampie
07-25-2008, 11:27
I'll always remember my first experience of camping alone on the AT. It was during my thru. I was having some knee problems and decided to stop for the night. It was a small camp area about a mile north of Winding Stair Gap, along a small stream. My first thought that someone would come along and also tent in the area. It soon started to get dark and knowone showed up. I built a fire in front of my tent and crawled in. The only noise that I could hear was the stream. My thoughts were if anything came to get me I wouldn't hear it comming anyway. The fire died and I fell asleep. I slept through the night not wakeing once.
I probably tented alone 20 times or so, during the rest of my thru. It never bothered me much, after the first time.

Bulldawg
07-25-2008, 11:38
I solo a little bit. It doesn't bother me to be alone. But I must say I do feel better knowing someone else is out there with me. On my last section hike I sat up camp in a gap and assumed since I was hiking alone, that I would be camping alone. One thru hiking couple finally came into the gap after a 18 mile day and sat up camp. They weren't much company as far as talking, etc. But I will say I think I slept better knowing they were 50 yards away in a tent.
I will say on that same section I heard there were 19 people at Tray Mountain Shelter. I am sure I would have liked that too much. That is just too many people!!

darkage
07-25-2008, 13:09
I think its normal to be abit nervous your first time alone in the woods ... strange noises .. cracking from tree's, small animals running around that sound much larger than they are .. I know i was, but i've also learned too i prefer hiking/camping alone ... My 2 brothers i'd hike with are both younger than me, but one moves way too slow .. and the other ... allmost 9 years younger than me, moves well ... way too fast.

So i've learned hiking at my own pace is whats best for me ... i end up moving farther over the course of the day because i'm not trying to keep up with one or waiting for the other ... Both brothers also SNORE like mad ... I'd much rather deal with the bumps of the night noise then either one of them in my campsite snoring my ears off all night and getting no sleep ... many many places allow fires ... even if its small it'll help ease the bumps in the night concerns .... many other at the same time won't allow fires period ... a good butane mixed type stove like the pocket rocket can give ya a nice instant flamethrower if your that concerned ... heh .. and, boils my liter of water in under 30 secs ... but thats another thread ....

I've had small animal encounter's ... porky's ... a snake or two ... one unhappy deer that i remember ... but nothing serious .... The bottom line is you shouldn't let "what rarely could happen" bother your outdoor relaxation ...

Bare Bear
07-25-2008, 17:15
Camping alone doesn't bother me as much as being alone in a shelter. Too many locals know about shelters and if a road is close.............whereas in my tent I go a little off trail and see many walk right past never knowing I am there. One night on the AT it rained all night long and in the morning when I stepped out there was another tent set up not twenty feet away! I slept right thru their setting up in the dark as I went to sleep around 9 pm. Another time in a pouring rain again; I thought I was near a big climb spot and decided to just stop and tent. I heard screaming and jumped out around midnight to find there was a stream 50 years away and night tubers! The full moon apparently had many out and there was little sleep that night.

Red Hat
07-25-2008, 17:47
I did my first night on the AT alone near Horse Gap in GA in 04. It was foolish of me, I think, especially since it was my first night and I was afraid of every sound. I got very little sleep and ended up hiking before sunlight the next morning.

I loved my last night on the AT this year. I stayed at Cloud Pond Lean-to alone. No one else wanted to walk the half mile to the shelter when they could instead walk four miles down the AT to the next shelter. I didn't have four miles left in me, so I stayed alone. It was wonderful!

I usually hike alone, because I am slower than the kiddos, but I usually prefer to have others around where I camp. I'd love to find a hiking partner with a similar pace and temperment.

mister krabs
07-25-2008, 17:51
I heard screaming and jumped out around midnight to find there was a stream 50 years away and night tubers! The full moon apparently had many out and there was little sleep that night.

what are night tubers?

deadhorsejoe
07-25-2008, 18:58
Night tubers - people who ride inner tubes down a body at night would be my guess

rafe
07-25-2008, 19:55
Camping alone doesn't bother me as much as being alone in a shelter.

In general, it's wise to avoid shelters and campsites near roads. I guess they used to locate them that way for the benefit of the caretakers. But you're right, a shelter near a road is a magnet for local yout' looking to get rowdy in the woods.

SurferNerd
07-25-2008, 20:46
I've spent a few weeks on the AT by myself over the years, I've had my one creepy bear encounter. But for the most part, it was fantastic being alone. It lets you enjoy nature for what it is. Hiking alone helps you with keeping a personal pace instead of trying to share it. It hurts if you wanted to share gear and weight. I've come to realize as a Christian that if something goes bump in the night, pray, ask Him for peace to sleep, and it will come.

budforester
07-25-2008, 22:30
does anyone view camping solo in a tent different than camping solo under a small open tarp? obviously a few more layers of nylon is not going to make you safer, but the perception of being closed in may increase morale.

I will admit to that. I know it's false, but I'm more relaxed in a tent or hammock with net. And I usually need protection from bugs, in my neck of the woods.

SunnyWalker
07-26-2008, 00:58
I think Terrapin hit on it. I would try to avoid shelters near road crossings/access points if I were solo.

JAK
07-26-2008, 04:25
When I hike alone, I prefer to be by myself.

fiddlehead
07-26-2008, 07:59
This thread brought to my mind one of the more interesting experiences i had hiking and camping alone. I wrote it up in my blog as it is too long to put on whiteblaze.
Those that are interested can read about it here (http://fiddlehead.wordpress.com/)

paradoxb3
07-26-2008, 21:31
I like to camp near running water for many of the "bump-in-the-night" reasons mentioned. My first solo night on the AT was at Long Creek Falls. The sound of the water puts me to sleep quick, and when you're near water (or in that case, a waterfall) you simply dont hear the little critters that keep you up all night.

SurferNerd
07-26-2008, 21:36
I like to camp near running water for many of the "bump-in-the-night" reasons mentioned. My first solo night on the AT was at Long Creek Falls. The sound of the water puts me to sleep quick, and when you're near water (or in that case, a waterfall) you simply dont hear the little critters that keep you up all night.

But them little critters drink from water, so it could go both ways..

fiddlehead
07-27-2008, 08:02
When I hike alone, I prefer to be by myself.

George Thoroughgood aye?

ATBuddy
07-27-2008, 09:50

Carry a little revolver. That should make you feel safe.

Egads
07-27-2008, 09:57
How many of you hike at night? Solo?

I have overcome my night time inhibitions to do so occasionally. There is usually only me and the spiders with their eyes glowing back at you, the bats, and few owls about. Once, on the Coosa Back Country Trail, I heard heavy steps off trail. I was told last weekend, that I hiked by a bear in the dark but it did not stir until Phreak passed with his 2 dogs. no big deal. It's the male two legged animal known as the local redneck that I fear the most when alone in the dark.

Egads

tucker0104
07-27-2008, 18:11
Yeah rednecks are the most unpredictable. I saw one bury his truck in the ocean this weekend. Parked it to close to the water and couldn't get it started then the tide came up.

tucker0104
07-27-2008, 18:11
Guess he should've gone with the 5" raise instead of the 3".

trailfoot
07-27-2008, 22:41

I left March 1st 2008 the busiest week of the AT and I flew through the pack and got into the top 20 possibly top 10 and only slept one night in a shelter by myself. Now that being said I only had one shelter that was too full. We squeezed 10 and a dog in a 6 person shelter.

Stories from the trail are great.

Skyline
07-27-2008, 23:24

I have overcome my night time inhibitions to do so occasionally. There is usually only me and the spiders with their eyes glowing back at you, the bats, and few owls about. Once, on the Coosa Back Country Trail, I heard heavy steps off trail. I was told last weekend, that I hiked by a bear in the dark but it did not stir until Phreak passed with his 2 dogs. no big deal. It's the male two legged animal known as the local redneck that I fear the most when alone in the dark.

Egads

I like to night hike, and do so fairly often in Shenandoah National Park. The key, for me, is to hike on trails I'm already familiar with. Many times I'm solo. Hardly ever met anyone on a trail hiking after dark, not even our beloved Virginia rednecks. :D

My last section in '03 in Maine (the rain and fog year) saw some unanticipated night hiking over some ridiculously tough rock piles (Averys Peak down to Flagstaff Rd., and again on Whitecap), which I'd never set foot on before. Somehow I inched my way along, through thick fog, but I wouldn't call it fun.

Bare Bear
07-27-2008, 23:33
Sorry, yes 'tubers' are those who were riding tubes down the river at night. And I meant 50 yards away, not 50 years but it is kinda existantial the other way...........
I've had some great experiences camping alone and clearly felt a need to be alone near the end of the thru just because I knew I did not want it to end and I wanted to be able to think.............remember, create those mental pictures to sustain me once I left the Trail.

rickb
07-28-2008, 06:31

When I camp near water, I hear voices.

Probably my imagination.

mister krabs
07-28-2008, 08:36
When I camp near water, I hear voices.

Probably my imagination.

It's as old as time, they don't call them babbling brooks for nothing.

Nearly Normal
07-28-2008, 14:19

Egads

Define "redneck" please.

the goat
07-28-2008, 14:38
Define "redneck" please.

redneck = hate speech.

whitefoot_hp
07-28-2008, 14:39
redneck is a term that cultural fascists throw at country folks who do not act the way that they do.

mister krabs
07-28-2008, 14:44
Define "redneck" please.

It's been a pretty well defined stereotype since reconstruction. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Redneck

But on topic, I took my first shot at camping alone "where no one can hear you scream" up by jarrard gap this past weekend. The treefrogs were so loud, I couldn't have heard a bear come up on me if it had. In fact I saw very little wildlife at all, not even birds. There were so many insects that the whole woods buzzed with them, but none bothered me even though I was sleeping cowboy style.

My little radio and trixie the feist helped considerably with my psychological comfort. I slept at least as well as I do at home.

HikerRanky
07-28-2008, 14:56
Let's not start throwing around terms that can be considered derogatory.... and thanks to Mister Krabs for steering this back on topic :banana:banana

Randy

IceAge
07-28-2008, 15:02
I just finished 5 nights alone on the Superior Hiking trail and didn't worry about it too much.

I did, however, develop the Jones' Law of Nocturnal Immensity, which states that all animals heard at night sound as though they are the next larger animal. Therefore, beetles sound like mice, mice sound like skunks, skunks sound like raccoons, raccoons sound like bears, etc..

Nearly Normal
07-28-2008, 16:21
redneck = hate speech.
Word association time?
I might like this game.

bobbyw
08-11-2008, 12:40
maybe the Monkeysphere (http://www.cracked.com/article_14990_what-monkeysphere.html) will not only give you some insight into why you might feel the need for human companions, but it might just make you understand how to get along with them better.

cowboy nichols
08-11-2008, 13:39
Taking boyfriends packing is for the birds... unless he is a hardcore packer!! -- I couldn't resist! :rolleyes:
Boy!! H H you are soooo right--I've tried sons,friends,exs and they mostly are a pain to look after. I go it alone.:D:D

CarolinaJP
08-11-2008, 13:47
I went for 6 days by myself along the FTC. It was a bit weird at first but then I began to love it because the solitude and the feeling of no boundries was great. You are a bit vunerable by yourself though so be sure to watch your step.

88BlueGT
08-21-2008, 00:43
I have never hiked alone before, always go with my buddy (usual hiking partner) or my brother. I guess I better get used to it though since my (potential) 09 thru will be solo.

Erin
08-21-2008, 01:21
I have camped alone out east in campgrounds or park areas and I have to admit I was creeped out but did it anyway. It was safe and I am safety minded. It is not the same, I know. I would prefer not to camp alone on the AT, but know if I do a thru when I retire, I will have to get over the fear since I really want to do it. I will do what I do with our group on our hikes in the middle of nowhere...carry a gun and nobody will see it or know about it. Yeah, I am going to get bashed on now. Go for it.

The Weasel
08-21-2008, 02:32
Erin, you won't (shouldn't) get bashed for thinking of a gun, but on the AT or elsewhere hiking, there is really no need for a gun. Yes, there is crime. But far, far less than there is in any other place you're likely to be, and far, far less violent crime. Nor will you camp 'alone' as much as you think when you do your thru effort. Even as the crowds winnow out, you will rarely be far from others, many of whom you will know and find security in being with in sites, shelters or the vicinity. But if you 'carry', well, that's your choice, as long as you do so realizing that some places you aren't allowed to. The more you do camp alone, the more you'll find it liberating, and not creepy. At least I hope you find it so; it is very wonderful.

Rusty

rafe
08-21-2008, 08:42
I have camped alone out east in campgrounds or park areas and I have to admit I was creeped out but did it anyway. It was safe and I am safety minded. It is not the same, I know. I would prefer not to camp alone on the AT, but know if I do a thru when I retire, I will have to get over the fear since I really want to do it. I will do what I do with our group on our hikes in the middle of nowhere...carry a gun and nobody will see it or know about it. Yeah, I am going to get bashed on now. Go for it.

Don't bother with the gun. Do keep your wits about you. IMO, "safety" while camping on the AT is proportional to distance from the nearest road. I don't camp or stay at shelters near roads. If strangers ask you where you're heading or where you're camping, be evasive, or simply lie. They have no need to know, and shouldn't be asking.

Lone Wolf
08-21-2008, 08:44

i agree. no bashing here. :) guns are good for those that want them

dessertrat
08-21-2008, 11:01
I like camping by myself, I am only nervous when there are other people around who don't seem quite right in the head, because I wonder if they will axe me in my sleep.

hoyawolf
08-21-2008, 11:53
terrapin, you raise a good point. i cannot tell you the number of times that folks have just vomited their entire personal histories to me on a trail.

i guess i'm a little more suspicious.

Blissful
08-21-2008, 13:01
Erin, glad you posted.

I will likely be out on my own in 2011 SOBO after my hubby leaves in New England to head back to work. I have never done backpacking myself (I went last year with my son, though I did hike by myself 95% of the time). I know to prepare I will need to do some backpacking trips alone. Not looking forward to it, but it's something that needs to be done if I want to go back in '11. There has been some good advice here. But talk to other women who have done it also, like Marta.

Valentine
08-21-2008, 14:05
Take a well mannered dog.
My dog scared off a bear and a buck. I sleep much better. I dread the GSMNP where dogs aren't allowed. She also confronted a stray pit bull that wandered into our camp.
Biggest problem on the trail has been YELLOW JACKETS.

mystic
08-21-2008, 15:34
I have always hiked alone. It really depends on your personality and what your hiking goals are. You have to be much better prepared since you don't have any backup. So you are going to have to carry some extra survival/emergency gear and understand how to self rescue. Nights can be pretty creepy sometimes. I am more afraid of other hikers/locals than anything else so I stealth camp away from roads and shelters. Being able to talk to your loved ones once a day from on top of a mountain helps alot. I've gone days on the trail without seeing anybody. I'm there for alone time and to see nature.

88BlueGT
08-21-2008, 16:14
Take a well mannered dog.
My dog scared off a bear and a buck. I sleep much better. I dread the GSMNP where dogs aren't allowed. She also confronted a stray pit bull that wandered into our camp.
Biggest problem on the trail has been YELLOW JACKETS.

I would love to bring my dog but I don't think that my toy poodle will calm my nerves at all... lol my dog would be more nervous than I would be :D

superman
08-21-2008, 16:23
Mostly I've been stealth camping alone or with Winter. After hiking all day by the time I put my head down I just go to sleep. Holy crap, I didn't know I was supposed to listen half the night for murderous, evil, creepy things. One time I set up my tent where a boar wanted to dig around. It was snorting outside the tent. Winter was sleeping. I considered all my weapons: knife with 1" blade, photon light, hiking sticks that were outside the tent and my P38. I fell back to sleep and in the morning the boar was gone. I'll try and do better next time and work up a care about the AT big foots or what ever.:)

Valentine
08-21-2008, 16:34
I would love to bring my dog but I don't think that my toy poodle will calm my nerves at all... lol my dog would be more nervous than I would be :D

Yeah, try a mut from the pound. Or not.:) I found out that just cause I can't see the bear doesn't mean there wasn't one.
Sometimes other campers appreciate her guard duty and sometimes they don't. But she doesn't just bark for fun.

I have seen pictures of small dogs along for the ride inside their owners packs.

Marta
08-21-2008, 16:41
IMO, part of the whole deal is pushing your boundries. There is no logical reason to fear being by yourself. (Seriously, there is a cultural prejudice against it, particularly for women, but being with another person, or with a dog, is not a real protection against predatory humans.) So because it's an irrational fear, I feel I owe it to myself to get over it.

So...while it makes me uneasy after dark, I know in my head that I'll be okay. The crazy thing is that I usually sleep really, really well alone in the woods, especially when it's cold out. Probably has something to do with getting lots of fresh air and exercise, and not having other people around making noise and waking me up.

PS--Getting a dog for the sole purpose of keeping you company is, IMO, a lousy idea. They are a whole lot of work, if you do it right. Would definitely detract from the experience for me.

Bearpaw88
08-21-2008, 17:06
PS--Getting a dog for the sole purpose of keeping you company is, IMO, a lousy idea. They are a whole lot of work, if you do it right. Would definitely detract from the experience for me.

Amen, bad idea.

RiverWarriorPJ
08-21-2008, 17:14
a little afraid to camp by themselves at first

Almost if not always never...but...always alone.....<~~no friends...

Bill Strickland
08-25-2008, 21:53
Out of 150 nights on the AT, I spent 81 of them in a tent. About 60 of them were totally alone. If anything goes bump in the night, it ain't another hker. Jakebrake

Wise Old Owl
08-25-2008, 22:34
No - don't need to get used to ... Doesn't require any modivation. Do your own thing. Priceless.

stranger
09-06-2008, 23:03
Perhaps the first few times are a bit strange, atleast for me they were but I was also around 16 back then, you get used to it quickly. And remember, the boogie man can't figure out zippers, so once you're in your tent - you are safe!

Where as the boogie man can just poke his head inside your tarp!

Bare Bear
09-07-2008, 00:44
I like the "take a dog" idea myself..................
next thru I'm taking Scubby-Do with me!

fehchet
09-07-2008, 03:38
A alligator the size of a VW crawled by my tent last August at Myakka State Park, FL. It snarled.

Jason of the Woods
09-07-2008, 09:03
I like the "take a dog" idea myself..................
next thru I'm taking Scubby-Do with me!
The problem with that is if you really do have a bear to worry about that dog is not going to protect you but look to you for protection, unless you have a bear dog.;)

Erin
09-07-2008, 21:20
Great advice from all of you and thanks.
Blissful, I have another 7 years until I can retire. Oh, I will still work, but that is the golden number.

Erin
09-07-2008, 21:29
Great advice from all of you and thanks.
Blissful, I have another 7 years until I can retire. Oh, I will still work, but that is the golden number.

trouthunter
09-07-2008, 21:39
http://http://www.flickr.com/photos/29918728@N04/2813673347/

All you need is one of these.

American Akita :D