PDA

View Full Version : Parking at Georgia Road Crossings?

Gladiator
07-23-2008, 22:43
I am in the planning stages of a section hike on the Benton MacKaye. Is parking available at the GA-60 and/or GA-515 road crossings?

Thanks,
Gladiator

Hikerhead
07-23-2008, 22:47
Rt 60 yes, 2 or 3 cars. Not sure if I would leave a car there overnight.

Ga 515....not sure where that is.

SGT Rock
07-23-2008, 22:49
If you park at 60 there is a small pull off there where I have seen cars. Another option is to ask to park up at Martin's Dixie Depot. But ask, he is the sort of feller that would notice an extra car left up there and would have it towed. If you are talking about the GA60 crossing at Wilscot Gap there is parking there.

I don't remember GA-515. Where is that again?

Skidsteer
07-23-2008, 22:57
GA 515 is US 76.

No parking there really. It's a divided highway with controlled access where the BMT crosses as I recall.

SGT Rock
07-23-2008, 23:00
Nope, there is actually a GREAT parking spot there. The Church at the top of the hill is defunct. The property is for sale. I parked my car there for about 5 days and no one messed with it or cared. So at GA76, go south about .1 mile from the crossing then go up to the chuch parking lot. There is a small cut over trail that gets you to the BMT from the parking area.

Skidsteer
07-23-2008, 23:01
No kiddin'?

Good to know that info!

CBSSTony
07-24-2008, 16:04
Didn't know that either. I had to wait til a ride showed up, or walk 1.5 miles to a friends property on 76. Now by south you mean towards Ellijay? Not the church towards Blue Ridge?

Egads
07-24-2008, 16:51
Are you talking about Cherry Log Church?

jesse
07-24-2008, 17:25
That is one great hike. My son and I hiked all but 5 miles of that trail from GA515/US76 to Amicolola Falls, over Memorial Day this year. There were some places we expected water, and found none, Wilscot Gap, and Payne Gap. When we got to Skeenah Gap Road we hiked a short distance South, and found a church where we able to fill our water bottles from their outlet.

Tennessee Viking
07-24-2008, 17:45
If GA 515 is the major thru fair between Ellijay and Blue Ridge. There is plenty of room on the shoulder.

GA 60 there is some room but not a lot. I just drove past it once coming back from Springer to McKaysville.

Tennessee Viking
07-24-2008, 17:48
Actually I think there are two crossings on GA 60

Dances with Mice
07-24-2008, 20:44
If you park at 60 there is a small pull off there where I have seen cars. Another option is to ask to park up at Martin's Dixie Depot. But ask, he is the sort of feller that would notice an extra car left up there and would have it towed. And halfway between the BMT / DRT and Martin's there is a farm on the left (creek side) that sells rustic furniture. It's got loose chickens and barking dogs and is a good reason not to drink from that creek. Anyway, I'd stop and ask about parking there before I'd park at Martin's.

Martin's closes early and opens fairly late. Years ago I parked there overnight when taking Scouts to the bridge and I left what I thought was a nice note with name & phone number and all that on my windshield. When I returned I got a pretty good chewing out by the cash register matron. She strongly encouraged me next time to park across the road in front of an old barn. But I don't know if that's their barn or not.

I'd try the farm first. Just sayin'.

Gladiator
07-25-2008, 04:45
Thanks for all the good info!

SGT Rock
07-31-2008, 01:26
I don't remember the name of the church, but it is south of Blue Ridge on 76 before you get to Cherry Log. When you are going south from Blue Ridge you pass the signs for trail crossing and then the VERY NEXT TURN to the right is the parking area for the church at the top of the hill. I parked there worried I might offend someone. But when I finally got to my car, I noticed a For Sale sign on the place.

gearfreak
07-31-2008, 08:53
Are you talking about Cherry Log Church?

It's not Cherry Log Church, that's a bit north on the other side of the road. It's at mile marker 21, adjacent to the entrance to the Cherry Log Mountain community. :cool:

jesse
07-31-2008, 10:32
If GA 515 is the major thru fair between Ellijay and Blue Ridge. There is plenty of room on the shoulder.

It would probably get towed, or vandalized on the side of the road.

Tennessee Viking
07-31-2008, 21:21
It would probably get towed, or vandalized on the side of the road.Just put up a sign saying, "Gone hiking."

Does the BMT have its share of vandalism compared to the AT?

Skidsteer
07-31-2008, 21:25
Just put up a sign saying, "Gone hiking."

Does the BMT have its share of vandalism compared to the AT?

Couldn't say. But that stretch has some pretty rough looking residences near the trail.

SGT Rock
08-02-2008, 06:13
No vandalism on my vehicle yet. But I agree - that section has some rough looking places around there. But go another direction and you have vacation cabins for people from Atlanta with money enough to have an extra house.