PDA

View Full Version : Five reasons to Hike Southbound

Johnny Swank
07-23-2008, 22:45
Just posted this on our website and thought ya'll might like it.

Everyone knows that the ONLY way to thru-hike the Appalachian Trail is to start in Georgia and go north, right?

Wrong.

Here are five good reasons to consider thru-hiking southbound from Maine to Georgia of the typical northbound hike.

1. Weather: Starting in Maine around June 15 - July 15 gives you plenty of cool nights at the height of summer. You’ll have cold weather down south if you finish at Christmas or later, but nothing you can’t handle. You’ll also be Walking with Fall, and have about 2-3 months of leaf changes as you work your way down.

2. Solitude: no hordes of hikers hogging the campsites and shelters. If you want more solitude, a SOBO is the only way to go.

3. Knock out the hard part first: “Getting to Maine means you’ve done 90% of the miles and 10% of the work” as the old saying goes. Come prepared to hike from day one though, because the hike up Kathadin is the largest single day of vertical gain of the entire trip.

4. No end dates to worry about: while it’s technically true that you can climb Kathadin after October 15, realistically your chances of doing so dwindle with each passing day. Springer Mountain never closes.

5. It’s all Downhill: Maine is higher than Georgia, so it’s all downhill. That’s what I told myself at least.

What do you think? Agree or disagree?

More thru-hiking info, journals, and photos at
http://sourcetosea.net/category/appalachian-trail

rafe
07-23-2008, 22:48
One disadvantage: you see the best of the AT first. So after you're through with New England, the rest of the trail might be a let-down. Kinda like eating dessert before dinner.

drastic_quench
07-23-2008, 23:13
I'm tempted, but missing the southern Spring would be a bummer. Walking through the South during hunting season would be on my mind, too.

Marta
07-23-2008, 23:17
Very nice.

New England the best part? Not IMO. There's way too much good stuff in the south to dismiss it--Grayson Highlands, Roan Mtn., the Smokies, the Nantahala...

Lugnut
07-23-2008, 23:20
Southbounders walk into the prevailing wind therefore the bears can't smell you coming. Not many things worse than surprising a bear. Just kidding, but may it may be true. :p

fiddlehead
07-23-2008, 23:36
Yeah, SOBO is the way to go. But June is awful early to start.
Better to wait another 2-3 months IMO.
Finishing in winter is amazing and one of the few times you can have the Smokies to yourself. (much better views)

I've done GA in thru-hiking season many times as my business used to do a festival down in GA in April. Wow! it not only gets crowded, but people don't even acknowledge each other too many times.
You won't have that problem as a SOBO'er.

The AT to yourself is a wonderful thing.

Flush2wice
07-23-2008, 23:43
Good thread- my question regards #2 about solitude. If you hike south you still run into a bazillion north bounders especially in the shelters. They are all buddies with miles under their belts while you are a noob going the wrong way. Is that solitude?
What I'd like to know is where and when do the bulk of the nobos pass the bulk of the sobos.
For me it was early August in the Whites.

A-Train
07-24-2008, 00:11
Speaking with Teatree the other day, she mentioned how the days kept getting shorter on her SOBO half a thru. She said she felt more and more pressure to hike all day, and had less time to enjoy things other than walking.

Something I didn't really think much about.

I do believe I might try a SOBO hike someday, just for the sake of doing something different. I'd be a bit worried about being bored after NH/VT.

camojack
07-24-2008, 03:45
Everybody knows that the Trail goes from Maine to Georgia; it says so in all the official literature.

So, a SOBO hike is the normal way to go...but then, normalcy is over-rated. :D

rafe
07-24-2008, 05:47
Very nice.

New England the best part? Not IMO. There's way too much good stuff in the south to dismiss it--Grayson Highlands, Roan Mtn., the Smokies, the Nantahala...

Interesting. For sobos, the Smokies are a good experience. From personal experience (and that of most nobos I've talked to) the Smokies suck. So chalk up one more point for sobo. ;) Early spring is a sucky time to be walking through the Smokies.

I'd walked all of the Whites and climbed Katahdin twice before starting at Springer. So yeah, the southern part of the trail was a bit disappointing, with regard to the views. The long rhodo tunnels got me down, as did the viewless summits. Not to mention a soggy, Bryson-like slog through the Smokies.

rafe
07-24-2008, 05:49
Speaking with Teatree the other day, she mentioned how the days kept getting shorter on her SOBO half a thru.

I felt that effect even on a six week sobo section last summer.

Marta
07-24-2008, 07:18
Interesting. For sobos, the Smokies are a good experience. From personal experience (and that of most nobos I've talked to) the Smokies suck. So chalk up one more point for sobo. ;) Early spring is a sucky time to be walking through the Smokies.

I'd walked the all of the Whites and climbed Katahdin twice before starting at Springer. So yeah, the southern part of the trail was a bit disappointing, with regard to the views. The long rhodo tunnels got me down, as did the viewless summits. Not to mention a soggy, Bryson-like slog through the Smokies.

Walking the ridgeline in winter you have day after day of views--no leaves on the trees.

The best time to see the Smokies is slightly later in the spring. The wildflowers carpeting the floor of the forest are spectacular. But as late as two weeks ago, in mid-July, there were blooming rhododendrons and even a blooming flame azalea...as well as blooming bee balm and other summer flowers.

modiyooch
07-24-2008, 07:48
Good thread- my question regards #2 about solitude. If you hike south you still run into a bazillion north bounders especially in the shelters. They are all buddies with miles under their belts while you are a noob going the wrong way. Is that solitude?
What I'd like to know is where and when do the bulk of the nobos pass the bulk of the sobos.
For me it was early August in the Whites.
I thought about this one too, but it is correct. A large % of the ones that start in GA won't still be hiking by the time sobo meet. You will also meet new people each time instead of staying at the shelters with the same people that are walking your pace.

modiyooch
07-24-2008, 07:50
Everybody knows that the Trail goes from Maine to Georgia; it says so in all the official literature.

So, a SOBO hike is the normal way to go...but then, normalcy is over-rated. :Da pet peeve of mine is that the data book goes from Maine to Ga and the companion goes from Ga to Maine. I

Mrs Baggins
07-24-2008, 08:18
Treebeard: "I always liked going south, somehow it feels like going downhill." :)

sparky2000
07-24-2008, 08:26
I thought the one hiker I ran into, early April, close to Erwin going SoBo was flipping from Harpers Ferry had a good ideal. It's easier to start from Harpers Ferry. Getting back onto the train after Springer is about $40.00 by taxi, back to Harpers Ferry and NoBo June, July, and August.

Mariner
07-24-2008, 08:53
My son and I completed our thru hike by starting in Harpers Ferry heading north to Maine then back to Harpers and going south. This worked for us because we couldn't leave until mid May and wanted to have plenty of time to complete the trail. The advantages are:

The section north of HF is relatively easy giving you a chance to get trail fit
You have Spring up into MA or VT
Avoids the wettest part of the season
Didn't have to rush to complete by October 15
No crowds because you are ahead of most of the NOBO'rs and won't see SOBO'rs until VT or NH
You are really trail fit by the time you reach the Whites but not yet exhausted
Most of the SOBOs we met were just completing MA and seemed exhausted, had had horrible weather but still had the Whites to do
You arrive in NH just as the blueberries are ripening
The disadvantages are that:

Non traditional (plus or minus depending on perspective)
More time alone (especially on the SOBO portion). We saw very few Thru hikers south of HF. We saw no SOBO'rs as they were behind us. This was not a negative for us but if you're hiking solo you may get lonely.
Katahdin is more exciting as a terminus
Because of the drought, water became a problem in the south.
We had no problems with hunters or lack of support services on the southern sections.

RWK
07-24-2008, 10:49
I'm planning to do HF north then HF south in 2009. Glad to hear comments from someone who's done it. Hard to find many comments since not many do it this way. I know it probably isn't for everyone but it really suits me. I may have some regrets not going terminus to terminus but there is always some disadvantage to every plan.

RWK
07-24-2008, 10:50
Mariner---one question, when did you start and finish?

whitefoot_hp
07-24-2008, 17:01
it also may seem much more logical to hike towards the more culturally advanced sector of the country. so, SOBO is a good idea...

rickb
07-24-2008, 19:09
Most people setting out to do a thru hike quit.

Most every Sobo quitter sees some cool stuff. More so than the Nobo quitters, I think.

Just another reason to go Sobo.

Not sure Sobos see such great fall trees, though.

freebird'08
07-24-2008, 19:50
I don't know much because most of my backpacking was done in the 82 airborne. The one thing that I know is that the AT is mine in the year of 08. I walked from Port Clinton to Falls Village CT. Ran out of cashola and I am now leaving on the 28 to Sobo the thing we call the AT. I hope you all can squash this Nobo/Sobo thing because we are all brothers and sisters of the trail we love so let's go kick it butt!!!

hammock engineer
07-24-2008, 21:57
One disadvantage: you see the best of the AT first. So after you're through with New England, the rest of the trail might be a let-down. Kinda like eating dessert before dinner.

I heard that, but don't believe it. Minus some of the Mid Atlantic, I thought the whole trail was great. The leaf change, fall, hiking in the snow, no people. You can't beat or compare the experiences I had southbound with most northbounders.

Southbound Pride.

Doughnut
07-24-2008, 22:16
[quote=freebird'08;671520]I don't know much because most of my backpacking was done in the 82 airborne.
hurrah!
20K ruck march is not the same as hiking the trail..

82nd All in Way!

81-83

DoughNut

rafe
07-24-2008, 23:13
I heard that, but don't believe it.

Believe it or not, it makes no difference to me if you believe it or not. ;) It was my experience... that's all.

"Southbound pride." Big whoop.

kayak karl
07-24-2008, 23:47
Hiking south allows you to walk into the SOUTH slowly, therefor limiting CULTURE shock:D

Mariner
07-25-2008, 06:29
Mariner---one question, when did you start and finish?

We started on May 15 and finished on October16. We took a couple of breaks to attend to family reunions etc.

hammock engineer
07-25-2008, 16:57
Believe it or not, it makes no difference to me if you believe it or not. ;) It was my experience... that's all.

"Southbound pride." Big whoop.

Never really understand the while north vs south thing that seems to come about online. Didn't really see it on the trail.

Red Hat
07-25-2008, 17:13
My opinions: #1 weather, yep that's why I chose SOBO; #2 solitude, nope you forgot about all those Quebec camp groups, often more than 20 at a shelter; #3
hard part first, yep, lots more difficult than I counted on, but Katahdin wasn't the hardest part...hence, I am off...; #4 no end date, well most folks are planning to be home for Christmas; #5 all downhill, dream on!