PDA

View Full Version : Wife hiking again.

Stir Fry
07-23-2008, 23:12
Finally talked my wife it to doing a hike with me, after told me she would never hike again. She did not like our previos hikes, most of Ga 4 years ago, and Newfound gap to Davenport gap 2 years ago. We will be doing Lewis Mt. to Thornton Gap, Staying it the Hotels at night. Can anyone tell me weather this is a dificult hike or not. She will only have to cary a day pack less then 10 lb. Ill carry the rest of our stuff. I'm tryig to be easy on her so maby she will get back into it. If this is to hard she will never go again.

Compass
07-23-2008, 23:39
The SNP(Shen. Nat. Park) is litterally a walk in the park. Most trails are wide enough for walking side by side and well graded. Concrete posts with metal tags are at all trail crossings helping keep track with where you are. Lots of tame (not afraid) wildlife but keep an eye out for the little deer ticks that can carry lyme disease. Worse case there are meds for that.

Have fun.

Hammock Hanger
07-24-2008, 06:27
Finally talked my wife it to doing a hike with me, after told me she would never hike again. She did not like our previos hikes, most of Ga 4 years ago, and Newfound gap to Davenport gap 2 years ago. We will be doing Lewis Mt. to Thornton Gap, Staying it the Hotels at night. Can anyone tell me weather this is a dificult hike or not. She will only have to cary a day pack less then 10 lb. Ill carry the rest of our stuff. I'm tryig to be easy on her so maby she will get back into it. If this is to hard she will never go again.

She should enjoy this. It is where I took my "out of shape" husband a few years back and he was able to keep up with me (slow down a little for her and be willing to take breaks). Nice area.

Blissful
07-24-2008, 10:56
Shenandoah is a great place to hike. Lots of wildflowers and wildlife.

bigcranky
07-24-2008, 19:50
SNP is great. The trail is well-graded, not too steep, wide, and well-maintained. Staying at the lodges is also nice. (We spent one night at Skyland when we hiked the park, and had one of their historic cabins. Very cool.) The restaurants do breakfast well, but dinner at Skyland was disappointing and expensive.

That said, there are a few climbs and descents of note. Panorama to Mary's Rock is steep (we did it nobo, downhill -- my poor old knees. Plus it was about 110 degrees.) Hogback keeps going and going, though it's not ever really steep. Though IIRC you will be south of all that.

Enjoy it.