PDA

View Full Version : Shelters?

Spider
07-24-2008, 11:31
I always assumed that you would use a tent often on the AT. I know that there are shelters along the way but I figured that sometimes you may either be too far away from one, or choose to sleep in a tent. However, I just started to read A Walk In The Woods by Bill Bryson (great book) and he says that it is a rule that you must sleep in the shelters along the trail. Is this true?

Lone Wolf
07-24-2008, 11:34
I always assumed that you would use a tent often on the AT. I know that there are shelters along the way but I figured that sometimes you may either be too far away from one, or choose to sleep in a tent. However, I just started to read A Walk In The Woods by Bill Bryson (great book) and he says that it is a rule that you must sleep in the shelters along the trail. Is this true?

the only place you're "supposed" to sleep in shelters is Great Smoky Mtn. Nat. Park

Spider
07-24-2008, 11:35
cool, thanks. do hikers typically sleep in shelters whenever possible?

Chenango
07-24-2008, 11:37
Not when the bugs are bitting.

Lone Wolf
07-24-2008, 11:37
cool, thanks. do hikers typically sleep in shelters whenever possible?

i never do. most seem to

saimyoji
07-24-2008, 11:42
whatever you decide, its a good idea to always have a tent

Tin Man
07-24-2008, 11:43
Most shelters are pretty filthy and vermin ridden. A clean tent is much nicer and you don't have to worry about what the person next to you might do.

Plodderman
07-24-2008, 11:43
I usually sleep in th shelters but tent occasionally. Most of the shelters I have slept in have been clean but there are a few mice. If I sleep in the tent it is usually just because I did not feel safe at the Shelter. That is rare tho.

Tin Man
07-24-2008, 11:45
The other important factor is the shelters are at fixed locations that may differ greatly from the miles you would like to get in for the day.

Spider
07-24-2008, 11:47
ok. Yeah I would be worried about sleeping in a shelter with mice/rats after reading about all the diseases you can get from them - way to ruin a good hike!

I also just read about hammocking which I really had never considered before. Obviously this would be a lighter alternative to a tent but is it safer, and there's also bugs/warmth to think about. Any comments?

Lone Wolf
07-24-2008, 11:49
ok. Yeah I would be worried about sleeping in a shelter with mice/rats after reading about all the diseases you can get from them - way to ruin a good hike!

I also just read about hammocking which I really had never considered before. Obviously this would be a lighter alternative to a tent but is it safer, and there's also bugs/warmth to think about. Any comments?

ANYTHING is better than a dirty, wooden, crowded box to sleep in

bigmac_in
07-24-2008, 11:58
Check out the Hammocking forum here for all the information you could possibly want.

Personally - I tent, would never sleep in a shelter, and am exploring hammocking....

rafe
07-24-2008, 12:01
To "thru-": you'll hear some strong anti-shelter sentiments here on Whiteblaze. IMO, this is something rather particular to this website. I strongly suggest you carry a tent or tarp in any case -- but there's no need to "decide" on using a shelter until you actually arrive at one. If there's some reason not to stay in the shelter proper, just pitch your tent nearby. Most AT shelters have flat areas nearby for setting up tents.

In any case, you must carry your own personal shelter (tent, tarp, bivy, whatever) because the shelters often fill up -- and they're available on a first-come, first-served basis. You simply can't bank on space in any given shelter.

Pedaling Fool
07-24-2008, 12:04
Hey thru-,

I noticed you're 16, what's your story? You ever hiked on the AT or other trails? How long have you known about the AT and how'd you learn of it?

bigmac_in
07-24-2008, 12:59
To "thru-": you'll hear some strong anti-shelter sentiments here on Whiteblaze. IMO, this is something rather particular to this website. I strongly suggest you carry a tent or tarp in any case -- but there's no need to "decide" on using a shelter until you actually arrive at one. If there's some reason not to stay in the shelter proper, just pitch your tent nearby. Most AT shelters have flat areas nearby for setting up tents.

In any case, you must carry your own personal shelter (tent, tarp, bivy, whatever) because the shelters often fill up -- and they're available on a first-come, first-served basis. You simply can't bank on space in any given shelter.

Very well put. I'd still never recommend the shelter, but this is excellent advice.

BlindMoose
07-24-2008, 13:50
Personally the tent is a big part of the experience for me when im on the trail. I would always tent unless i had some specific reason not to ie; extreme weather.

Bearpaw
07-24-2008, 15:07
In good weather, I'll often camp near a shelter. Most are near a good water source, have a picnic table which is nice for cooking and eating, and offer a somewhat cleared area for tenting. In warmer weather, my hammock is more comfortable than a tent and MUCH more comfortable than a shelter.

But when a storm rolls in and pounds down, a shelter that doesn't leak can become a lot more cozy than you might think.

I use both my own tent/tarp/hammock and shelters at various times.

Tin Man
07-24-2008, 15:13
But when a storm rolls in and pounds down, a shelter that doesn't leak can become a lot more cozy than you might think.

And very cozy when a large group of spoiled preppie kids show up.

buff_jeff
07-24-2008, 15:22
I was adamant about not staying in shelters and tented through Georgia. When that first rain storm hit I was in Muskrat Creek Shelter and never looked back. They can suck but it's convenient to not have to set the tent up and break it down.

bulldog49
07-24-2008, 15:51

I would not use that book as a source of info on anything regarding the AT. :eek:

Tin Man
07-24-2008, 15:59
I would not use that book as a source of info on anything regarding the AT. :eek:

except humor

rafe
07-24-2008, 15:59

But read it anyway. It's a riot, and it gets the general "gestalt" pretty well, IMO.

Hoop
07-24-2008, 16:08
It rained at suppertime last Tuesday so I joined some others at the Gooch Mountain shelter. The busy mice there gnawed into pack A downstairs to filch the gorp then relocated it into pack B upstairs. There were some confused looks in the morning.

edtheshark
07-24-2008, 16:38
I've never really posted before but I'll add in my two cents. I've always had good experiences in shelters, and like staying in shelters. The camaraderie when meeting other people is cool, its a dry place to sleep. Alot of the hiking I do is in the winter, in the snow- so a shelter is usally warmer. And I thought that from a outdoor rec. management prospective, they are good thing to try and concentrate use into a compact area, reducing erosion and help to keep impact to a minumum.
Privys are another story, sometimes its better just to dig a hole.

Knocky
07-25-2008, 20:45
I tend to avoid the shelters. One of the reasons I hike, is to be away from the crowds of my day to day life. :)

I usually leave the trail and pitch my tent several hundred yards away.

Kirby
07-25-2008, 20:48
Pitch a tent and sleep in comfort.

Lone Wolf
07-25-2008, 21:16
Pitch a tent and sleep in comfort.

great advice

hopefulhiker
07-25-2008, 21:23
I used shelters some but I would recommend the tent. I used them if they were not to crowded, the weather was really bad, or I was just too tired to set up my tent.

neo
07-25-2008, 22:42
my tarp and hammock has made shelters completely obsolete:cool:neo

check out my gallery on hammock forums:cool:neo

http://www.hammockforums.net/gallery/browseimages.php?do=member&imageuser=11

SunnyWalker
07-26-2008, 00:28
I was just reading Awol on the AT for aq second time and came to a place where Awol hike a long way to find a level patch of ground to put his tarp down. If you are using a hammock, this is not a problemo!

rafe
07-26-2008, 07:46
I was just reading Awol on the AT for aq second time and came to a place where Awol hike a long way to find a level patch of ground to put his tarp down. If you are using a hammock, this is not a problemo!

Yes, I suppose that's true. But, by the same logic, there might occasionally be nice flat places with no trees where a hammocker is S.O.L. ;)

Tin Man
07-26-2008, 08:05
Yes, I suppose that's true. But, by the same logic, there might occasionally be nice flat places with no trees where a hammocker is S.O.L. ;)

true, but a pine needle bed trumps all

Heater
07-26-2008, 08:13

A hammock is not a lighter alternative than many tents.