PDA

View Full Version : Using a quilt as extra insulation

taildragger
07-24-2008, 21:12
Would it be feasible to use a quilt on top of a sleeping bag for extra insulation?

I'm toying with the idea of getting a stealth quilt for 2 season hiking, and I was wondering if I could feasibly lay this over my marmot helium to extend its range closer to 0*F?

Two Speed
07-24-2008, 21:27
Yeah, it'd probably work, provided your sleeping pad's thick enough and you're not the kind to kick the quilt off. Easy way to find out is wait for a good cold night and give it a shot in the backyard. If it works, well and fine. If not it isn't a big deal.

hammock engineer
07-24-2008, 21:54
Yes it is. Try putting it inside your bag instead, if there is room. It will stay ontop of you that way and should be warmer.

Last year Southbound I used my 20 deg bag and a extra warm quilt inside I made for hammocking on the ground. I used the quilt inside the bag. I made it below zero a few nights. The quilt should be rating in the single digits. But by that time I had no body fat and was a human popsicle. I was using it in the 20 deg bag in the mid 30's to stay warm.

The thing to consider is whatever bag is on top is going to compress the loft of the bag underneath, reducing the rating. That is why the warmest bag should go untop. Plus a bag will keep the quilt mostly inplace.

Check out the articles on www.hammockforums.net (http://www.hammockforums.net). Pan did a great article on combined bag ratings.

Wags
07-24-2008, 22:36
i'm looking at the helium as a possibility for my 2010 thru. you like it?

taildragger
07-24-2008, 23:00
i'm looking at the helium as a possibility for my 2010 thru. you like it?

I've got the 1/2 zip and it drives me batty if the temp gets into the 40's (just too darn hot in that thing).

I've slept with it on a z-rest down to 10*F in a snow encrusted tent. Not the greatest nights sleep (woke up about 3-times with cold feet where they kept sliding off of the pad).

Overall, I like it a bunch, and its uber light:banana

taildragger
07-24-2008, 23:05
Yes it is. Try putting it inside your bag instead, if there is room. It will stay ontop of you that way and should be warmer.

Last year Southbound I used my 20 deg bag and a extra warm quilt inside I made for hammocking on the ground. I used the quilt inside the bag. I made it below zero a few nights. The quilt should be rating in the single digits. But by that time I had no body fat and was a human popsicle. I was using it in the 20 deg bag in the mid 30's to stay warm.

The thing to consider is whatever bag is on top is going to compress the loft of the bag underneath, reducing the rating. That is why the warmest bag should go untop. Plus a bag will keep the quilt mostly inplace.

Check out the articles on www.hammockforums.net (http://www.hammockforums.net). Pan did a great article on combined bag ratings.

I just tried pan's formula and I got it rated to less than the marmot. I figure that I've got a little room on the inside, so I might be able to get another 0.5" or so of loft (just reckoning).

Wags
07-24-2008, 23:11
sorry to hijack your thread bro. you know the new heliums have full zips and are still under 2 lbs? OMG

taildragger
07-24-2008, 23:12
sorry to hijack your thread bro. you know the new heliums have full zips and are still under 2 lbs? OMG

Yeah, I got one of the last ones with the 1/2 zips (but it was dirt cheap all considering) and if I had a choice with my income, I'd buy the same bag and complain about it.

But hopefully I'll get a quilt to supplement those warmer nights