PDA

View Full Version : Sasquatch Problem - My Feet Are Too Big

nlaing
03-01-2004, 09:05
Hi All,
Another quick question about footwear. It seems as if the general consensus about footwear is to use what works for you. To keep trying on different types of shoes/boots until you find what works. I have the problem that I cannot try on shoes before I buy them, because no outfitter carries shoes in the 14-15 size range. I need a way to get a good pair of trail shoes (I think I've decided on shoes) that will fit without trying them on, since I'll have to order them from the internet. Any ideas on how I should do this? Thanks!

-Nate

chris
03-01-2004, 09:16
I've got the same problem. I wear size 14 in boots and 15 in runners and have just gotten used to buying blind. The beauty of going with trail runners made by running shoe companies is that most models fit most people (more or less). Trail shoes made by hiking companies are a little more finicky, but I've had some luck with fitting them. Take heart in the fact that even if you went into a store and tried on a pair, you would still have very little idea of if they would work for you or not: Walking around for a few minutes in a store isn't going to do that for you. So, fear not and buy the shoes blind. If they feel funny, send them back. Asics, Brooks, and New Balance all make shoes in size 15. REI and Roadrunner don't carry alot of 15s, but www.runningshoes.com does. I haven't ordered from them yet, but plan to this summer. Salamon makes size 14 trail shoes which I can fit into. I'd go with a trail runner from a running company over a trail runner from a hiking company (i.e, Brooks over Salamon), but that is just my own preference. I wrote up a review of four trail shoes ("Four Trai Shoe Review", I think). You can find it in the Gear Reviews section.

Tabasco
03-01-2004, 09:39
I wear 14Bs. Long and narrow. Finally just bit the bullet and ordered off of internet from one of the most reputable dealers going: LL Bean. The virtually unconditional return policy is great, plus they carried their Cresta Leather GTX in 14N which made my life easier.

Frosty
03-01-2004, 11:34
Hi All,
Another quick question about footwear. It seems as if the general consensus about footwear is to use what works for you. To keep trying on different types of shoes/boots until you find what works. I have the problem that I cannot try on shoes before I buy them, because no outfitter carries shoes in the 14-15 size range. I need a way to get a good pair of trail shoes (I think I've decided on shoes) that will fit without trying them on, since I'll have to order them from the internet. Any ideas on how I should do this? Thanks!

-Nate

If you buy from Campmor, you can return the boots if they don't fit. You do pay postage, however. See if a local shoe store will order the boots for you. That's what I do. Manufacturers make bigger boots, stores just don't stock them.

Columbia boots run a tad small size-wise, but I know know that Size 17 in COlumbia fits me. Most of Columbia models come in 17. The shore store should have a catalog of each shoe manufacturer. Check the size matrix. I have two different pair of low hikers, and two of high hikers (one winter insulated).

I aslo have a pair of Vasque Clarions, heavy duty boots, size 15 that fit fine once I put a thinner liner in the, Vasque makes thin, medium and thick liners for size adjustments. I did this also a long time with an old pair of Merrill WIlderness that were just a tad tight in the toe. In the last 15 years my feet have spread out and now the Merrills don't fit anymore, alas.

The shoes are out there. You just have to look for them.

TJ aka Teej
03-01-2004, 12:10
Hi Nate,
You're less than an hour away from the New Balance Factory Outlet in Lawrence, MA. Call ahead and then swing on by.

Frosty
03-01-2004, 13:25
Hi Nate,
You're less than an hour away from the New Balance Factory Outlet in Lawrence, MA. Call ahead and then swing on by.

Also, Red's SHoe Barn in Dover, NH will let you order shoes with no deposit, and you get to try them on and if you don't like the color or fit or something you needn't buy them. They're great. They also have a section of large (13+) sizes on their lower level. Dress shoes, boots, hiking shoes, steel-toed shoes, and lots and lots of big sneakers.

nlaing
03-01-2004, 19:48
Does Newbalance make a good reliable hiking "trail shoe"? Lawerence is only about 30 minutes from me. Maybe I'll take the trip to visit Mr. Newbalance himself.:sun

TJ aka Teej
03-01-2004, 20:16
Does Newbalance make a good reliable hiking "trail shoe"?
Yup. They come in 'Wicked Big' sizes too.
http://www.zappos.com/n/p/p/113161.html
They're $60 on this site, I paid $50 for mine at the outlet.

TJ aka Teej
03-02-2004, 00:01
I wish NB made trail runners for women in large/wide sizes. :( Seems easier to find good trail shoes if you're a guy. There are tall women hikers, too!
My wife's pair of NB 806s are the woman's style, W806 size 12B. She says they had wide sizes too, Tracy! She's 6' tall and says she can relate to your quest for the right size shoe! :D

nlaing
03-03-2004, 09:10
I was actually lucky enough to find a shoe store in Nashua, NH called Alex Shoes that keeps larger sizes in stock. I tried on a couple of pairs of New Balance and Merrell. I thought the New Balance 806s were a little flimsy, albiet very light. They just didn't fit me very well. In the end I decided to go with the Merrell Mesa Ventilator in the 15s. It was a little heavier, but I thought it would last a little longer on the trail. Does anyone have any experience with these shoes?

Blue Jay
03-03-2004, 09:37
I was actually lucky enough to find a shoe store in Nashua, NH called Alex Shoes that keeps larger sizes in stock. I tried on a couple of pairs of New Balance and Merrell. I thought the New Balance 806s were a little flimsy, albiet very light. They just didn't fit me very well. In the end I decided to go with the Merrell Mesa Ventilator in the 15s. It was a little heavier, but I thought it would last a little longer on the trail. Does anyone have any experience with these shoes?

I like them very much and usually get about 700 miles on them. They dry really fast.