PDA

View Full Version : bugs in New Hampshire??

lilygrrrl1
07-25-2008, 12:32
gonna be starting New Hampshire August 8th, and am wondering about the bug and water situation?!?!

thanks! :sun

~ krinkles

Kirby
07-25-2008, 13:23
Should be relatively calm.

Kirby

Lillianp
07-25-2008, 13:28
I don't know anything about the water situation in NH, but what I can remember of past years in NH with bugs is that it kind of depends, but they're out most early morning/late afternoon. I could be completely wrong, however and they could be out all the time. Not as bad as earlier in the summer, though I think.

Of course, I'm not near there at all this summer, so who knows?

kugelschreiber
07-25-2008, 14:12
I am also wondering about bugs and the water situation.. Heading up to Franconia Notch August 1st for a week!

WalkingStick75
07-25-2008, 14:21
IMSAO :)

Bugs = Yes

Water = Yes & No, depends

Blissful
07-25-2008, 14:41
Watch out for the six wing deerflies at lower elevations. :) They are out from 8 Am to 10 AM and then from 6 PM to 8 PM.

Roland
07-25-2008, 15:07
gonna be starting New Hampshire August 8th, and am wondering about the bug and water situation?!?!

thanks! :sun

~ krinkles

The blackfly season, was light. I would characterize the mosquito season as light. So from my perspective, I would say the bug situation is good, since there are fewer bugs than I am accustomed to. However, that doesn't mean you won't need bug dope. There are still bugs around, just not in the quantities we see some years. Down low, at dawn and dusk, bugs are still a menace. On the high ridges, there's enough breeze to keep them away.

Water is abundant this summer. We've had rain every day for 2 months. That may be a bit of an exaggeration, but not by much. The White Mountains are very lush this summer.

Enjoy your hike!