PDA

View Full Version : Looking for a gal to hike with

DesertMTB
07-25-2008, 13:01
I've been searching for a nice lady to hike with, but so far haven't had any luck.

I live in Lexington, S.C. and love to hike the AT in WNC and Ga.

I work for the U.S. Army as a reporter and photographer at Fort Jackson and I am normally free on the weekends.

minnesotasmith
07-25-2008, 13:04
[Self-edited to change from gentle joke to genuine advice]

I think you have to be dating a woman long-term who is as interested in hiking as you are.

max patch
07-25-2008, 13:07
Join the GATC and go on some of the hikes.

Cuffs
07-25-2008, 13:13
Just take the trail name of "Trustfund". No problem... :D

At 38, I dont think "trustfund" has much meaning... Now if he's "sugar daddie" that might work!

A-Train
07-25-2008, 13:20
Welcome to the club, take a number :)

pedal
07-25-2008, 17:32
I've been searching for a nice lady to hike with, but so far haven't had any luck.

I live in Lexington, S.C. and love to hike the AT in WNC and Ga.

I work for the U.S. Army as a reporter and photographer at Fort Jackson and I am normally free on the weekends.

Hi Desert,
if you're looking for a hiking partner I'm sure there are some folks of the feminine persuasion here that would take you up on your offer. If you're looking for a date, I'm not sure this is the place that will get you your desires.

SS

kayak karl
07-25-2008, 23:08
I've been searching for a nice lady to hike with
LOL join a club, do walkathons, 10k's, meet people ..........but not the internet http://xkcd.com/120/

rafe
07-25-2008, 23:20
Hi Desert,
if you're looking for a hiking partner I'm sure there are some folks of the feminine persuasion here that would take you up on your offer. If you're looking for a date, I'm not sure this is the place that will get you your desires.

SS

Gee, I dunno. I had dinner a couple weeks ago with a good looking female WBer. ;) My wife was only slightly jealous.

Nearly Normal
07-26-2008, 01:32
These folks seem to be a sponser at the bottom of the page.
http://www.fitness-singles.com/register-land.asp?fit=hiking&i=1

whitefoot_hp
07-26-2008, 02:36
i hear the play boy bunnies are always looking for a good back packing trip.

pedal
07-26-2008, 09:31
Gee, I dunno. I had dinner a couple weeks ago with a good looking female WBer. ;) My wife was only slightly jealous.

Depends on whether your "desires" are/were fulfilled as to whether this could be considered a date I suppose.

SS

rafe
07-26-2008, 11:58
Depends on whether your "desires" are/were fulfilled as to whether this could be considered a date I suppose.

Strictly Platonic, though in most regards similar to a "date," I suppose. ;)

DesertMTB
07-28-2008, 08:36
Hi Desert,

SS

Oh no, I'm not looking for a "date"

I'm just trying to find a female hiking partner. But I am single. So who knows what could happen in the future

Heater
07-28-2008, 09:40

I'm just trying to find a female hiking partner. But I am single. So who knows what could happen in the future

Smoooooooooooth. :cool:

mudhead
07-28-2008, 11:07
I'm telling ya, age and guile.

Besides, he might be good company.

angewrite
07-28-2008, 13:41

Here's an idea- go out and hike without a partner. Maybe you'll meet someone on the trail, maybe you won't. At least you won't be sitting around wishing you had a woman to hike with you. And why do you need a female hiking parter? I'm sure there are a lot of guys who would love to go out and do some male bonding :rolleyes:

DesertMTB
07-28-2008, 13:58
Here's an idea- go out and hike without a partner. Maybe you'll meet someone on the trail, maybe you won't. At least you won't be sitting around wishing you had a woman to hike with you. And why do you need a female hiking parter? I'm sure there are a lot of guys who would love to go out and do some male bonding :rolleyes:

That's good advice.

But, hey this thread is in the hooking up forum.

That's what I was attempting to do. Hook up with a female hiking partner.

whitefoot_hp
07-28-2008, 14:00
now that you've shown your hand, your chances may decrease... maybe not tho.

Lillianp
07-28-2008, 14:05
I can't speak for anyone else, but its mildly offputting to see that you specified a female hiking partner. I'd be more apt to (if I lived in the right area) respond if there weren't any gender specifications.
But again, that's just me.

angewrite
07-28-2008, 14:11
That's good advice.

But, hey this thread is in the hooking up forum.

That's what I was attempting to do. Hook up with a female hiking partner.

You may just enjoy the company of the opposite sex which is fine but I want to tell you an irritating story about something that happened to me earlier today.

There's a guy who lives a few towns south of me that I kinda know but we've never really hung out. We were talking today about going for a short hike tonight, camping, then getting up at 5 am to hike up Jay Peak to watch the sunrise. I wanted to do this even though I'd have to haul ass to get to the office by 8am. Well our conversation proceeded to the point of possibly sharing a tent and then he asked me if I had ever had sex on top of a mountain. I honestly told him yes and he proceeded to ask if I would have sex with him on top of Jay Peak. At this point I was extremely pissed. All I wanted to do was go for a hike and watch the sunrise with someone who was just as into the idea as I was. Instead I ended up having to tell off the asshat and will either camp and hike alone tomorrow or not go at all.

The reason why I'm telling you this story is so that you are aware that if you find a female hiking partner, please don't assume that she wants to do anything besides hike. Don't try to push romance or "hooking up" Enjoy her for what she is- a woman who enjoys hiking and is willing to do it with you :eek:

DesertMTB
07-28-2008, 14:17
You may just enjoy the company of the opposite sex which is fine but I want to tell you an irritating story about something that happened to me earlier today.

There's a guy who lives a few towns south of me that I kinda know but we've never really hung out. We were talking today about going for a short hike tonight, camping, then getting up at 5 am to hike up Jay Peak to watch the sunrise. I wanted to do this even though I'd have to haul ass to get to the office by 8am. Well our conversation proceeded to the point of possibly sharing a tent and then he asked me if I had ever had sex on top of a mountain. I honestly told him yes and he proceeded to ask if I would have sex with him on top of Jay Peak. At this point I was extremely pissed. All I wanted to do was go for a hike and watch the sunrise with someone who was just as into the idea as I was. Instead I ended up having to tell off the asshat and will either camp and hike alone tomorrow or not go at all.

The reason why I'm telling you this story is so that you are aware that if you find a female hiking partner, please don't assume that she wants to do anything besides hike. Don't try to push romance or "hooking up" Enjoy her for what she is- a woman who enjoys hiking and is willing to do it with you :eek:

Wow! That guy is an asshat. I am not looking for romance or "hooking up." I am just looking for a female hiking friend. The reason I picked this site to post this message is because I live in South Carolina and a lot of WBer live in this region.

I'm glad you found out what his real intentions were before you were on that hike.

To be honest, I am looking to meet someone. But I am looking to meet a FRIEND first. I have no other intentions than to find someone cool to hike with and possibly become friends.

Lone Wolf
07-28-2008, 14:21
Wow! That guy is an asshat. I am not looking for romance or "hooking up." I am just looking for a female hiking friend. The reason I picked this site to post this message is because I live in South Carolina and a lot of WBer live in this region.

I'm glad you found out what his real intentions were before you were on that hike.

To be honest, I am looking to meet someone. But I am looking to meet a FRIEND first. I have no other intentions than to find someone cool to hike with and possibly become friends.

dude forget it. you're gonna get beat down on here by the women :rolleyes:

kanga
07-28-2008, 14:23
you're fine, desert. if i was a single gal, i'd go hiking with you. keep on, keeping on. some chick'll dig that you're so upfront.

DesertMTB
07-28-2008, 15:03
Thanks Kanga and LW.

Alligator
07-28-2008, 15:10
Just a reminder folks, this is a Straight Forward style forum. It's about people meeting people for hiking. There's nothing wrong with the thread subject, and if you are not interested in hiking with DesertMTB, please don't clutter up the thread. Thanks.

pedal
07-29-2008, 10:21

Ok, so which is it, are you looking for a hiking partner or potential mate who enjoys hiking?
I was thinking about taking you up on your offer, but I'm afraid I ain't looking for, nor am I interested in a potential romantic relationship with ya now or even in the near future.

SS

DesertMTB
07-29-2008, 10:35
Ok, so which is it, are you looking for a hiking partner or potential mate who enjoys hiking?
I was thinking about taking you up on your offer, but I'm afraid I ain't looking for, nor am I interested in a potential romantic relationship with ya now or even in the near future.

SS

No. No. I am looking for a female FRIEND to hike with. That's it.

Dancer
07-30-2008, 13:53
DesertMTB,

Not going to beat you down, just give a bit of advise from a female to a male. Don't call us GALS. It's soooo 20 years ago and slightly degrading. I imagine you don't mean anything negative by it but it kinda makes me think some of you other opinions about woman might go down the same lines. I may be way off but the use of GAL puts that out there.

DesertMTB
07-30-2008, 13:55
DesertMTB,

Not going to beat you down, just give a bit of advise from a female to a male. Don't call us GALS. It's soooo 20 years ago and slightly degrading. I imagine you don't mean anything negative by it but it kinda makes me think some of you other opinions about woman might go down the same lines. I may be way off but the use of GAL puts that out there.

Thanks for the advice. I truly didn't mean it in a degrading way.

Creek Dancer
07-30-2008, 14:02
I equate the use of the term "gals" with the use of the term "guys". I don't see either as degrading.

minnesotasmith
07-30-2008, 14:04
Thanks for the advice. I truly didn't mean it in a degrading way.

Hold out for someone who doesn't take offense when none was meant. You don't want to constantly feel like you're walking on explosive eggshells on the Trail anymore than you do in life back home.

Mags
07-30-2008, 14:18
Try the Columbia, SC Craig's List in the STRICTLY PLATONIC area

http://columbia.craigslist.org/cgi-bin/personals.cgi?category=stp

grayl1te
07-31-2008, 01:03
Yeah..."gal" isn't one of the words used for women that offends me. It was/is pretty common where I grew up.

grayl1te
07-31-2008, 01:05
eek, but Craigslist scares me.

Heater
07-31-2008, 01:09
Yeah, sometimes these broads can be overly sensitive! :D

DesertMTB
07-31-2008, 08:28
Yeah, sometimes these broads can be overly sensitive! :D

That is what makes it fun though!

Seriously. I made the post in the hooking up board. I didn't expect to create such a stir. I expected one or two replies from women that were interested in hiking with a trustworthy guy.

Mags
07-31-2008, 09:13

No need to be scared. It is an effective tool for finding furniture, a job, a place to live, friends, etc.

At least in Boulder, most newcomers find social groups via google searching and craig's list. I know a few people who have found their current s.o. via Craig's List too.

The outdoor group that I am active with has a Craig's List add. Most 20 and 30somethings new to town almost always check Craig's List first.

Long story short: If I were to find a hiking partner, the "Strictly Platonic" ads probably would not be a bad place to start.

angewrite
07-31-2008, 10:47

What's the difference between finding a hiking partner on Criagslist or WhiteBlaze. All the same if you ask me :confused:

Tin Man
07-31-2008, 11:29
What's the difference between finding a hiking partner on Criagslist or WhiteBlaze. All the same if you ask me :confused:

WB would be better from the perspective that you can sort of tell what people might be like if they post here enough. Craigslist is like the bathroom wall. my opinion

kanga
07-31-2008, 11:44
That is what makes it fun though!

Seriously. I made the post in the hooking up board. I didn't expect to create such a stir. I expected one or two replies from women that were interested in hiking with a trustworthy guy.

you're in the right place and you're doing the right thing. hell, i'll go hiking with you. too many trolls on this site. if you're not going to go hiking with the guy and/or you don't like the words he uses, GO AWAY. YOU'RE in the wrong place saying the wrong things...

ohmeringue
03-29-2009, 00:41
Long live guys and gals!

Wise Old Owl
03-29-2009, 00:55
http://www.mingles.com/southcarolina.asp

SO get to work!

Pokey2006
03-29-2009, 02:01
Hmmmm....38-year-old bachelor, in my line of work, military man...hell ya, I'd go hiking with him. Hey, if I could meet Terrapin for dinner, I could certainly go hiking with a Desert. Still looking for a hiking gal pal???

jrwiesz
03-29-2009, 03:26
Hmmmm....38-year-old bachelor, in my line of work, military man...hell ya, I'd go hiking with him. Hey, if I could meet Terrapin for dinner, I could certainly go hiking with a Desert. Still looking for a hiking gal pal???

Neo is going to be heartbroken.:D

Tipi Walter
03-29-2009, 09:21
Welcome to the club, take a number :)

There it is.

LOL join a club, do walkathons, 10k's, meet people ..........but not the internet http://xkcd.com/120/

In my neck of the woods(east TN), every little town has a dayhiking club and they get out on the weekends with some zeal. If I was you I'd join the clubs in your area and start meeting and greeting, granted they are "mere" dayhikers, but you might convince a few, women included, to try a weekend backpacking trip. Most of these dayhiking clubs seem to have more women in them than men. Safety in numbers, perhaps.

Yeah, you can't be waiting around for a female backpacking companion to show up, you'd never get out in the woods. And hooking up while on an actual weekend trip is slim to nil--won't happen. This gets me to thinking: would the chances of hooking up be greater on the AT now that the thousands are lining up to start? Doubt it, and anyway, you won't be doing the AT.

Another option are college campuses. I lived close to App State for 30 years and in that time participated in hundreds of backpacking trips with students of both sexes. The college had an outdoor wilderness program with a gear rental shop and I found the students to be motivated and actually interested in nature, backpacking and getting out into the woods.

4eyedbuzzard
03-29-2009, 09:51

Neo is going to be heartbroken.:D

Why? Is Neo sweet on Desert?:D:D

Jack Tarlin
03-29-2009, 10:12
Still lookin' for a gal?

Contact Minnesota Smith, he might have a few ideas for you....... :eek:

warraghiyagey
03-29-2009, 10:16
http://www.todossantos-baja.com/blog/milkmaid-may2005.jpg