PDA

View Full Version : Using a low-rise boot for backpacking?

smithk3933
07-25-2008, 14:10
I have an odd problem in that my ankle bone on the inside of the leg/foot protrudes. I have had problems in the past with boots which covered the bone. The boot presses on the bone/nerve and over time causes much pain.

My question is I'm planning on beginning backpacking on some trips of the 3-10 day variety and wonder if the low rise boots which don't cover the ankle bone would provide adequates support. I'm 6'1" and 175 lbs and hope to limit my pack weight to 40-50lbs.

Any suggestions on which boots would give the most support if I have to use a low-rise. I think the "mid-rise" will cover the ankle bone.

Any hikers using a low-rise? Thanks for the comments.

Blissful
07-25-2008, 14:32
Just go with trail runners. But you will need to limit your pack weight. Try to get under 35 lbs if possible (lots of threads here on how to minimize pack weight, beginning with the big three - pack, sleeping bag, tent or tarp). It's much easier these days to do so then long ago. 40-50 lbs is too much weight.

take-a-knee
07-25-2008, 14:37
Lightweight boots work better for me (Asolo FSN 85's). I wear New Balance trail shoes daily but hiking in them isn't for me, not enough ankle support.
Ray Jardine was the first since Grandma Gatewood to suggest sneakers for trail use but his better-half still wears boots (his wife Jenny).

rafe
07-25-2008, 14:54
From my very first hikes until now, my "boots" have gotten consistently lighter. I gave up on leather boots about ten years ago. I did the latter half of last year's AT section in trail runners, and loved 'em. TAK, maybe you need to work on strengthening your ankles. ;)

JAK
07-25-2008, 15:14
I have an odd problem in that my ankle bone on the inside of the leg/foot protrudes. I have had problems in the past with boots which covered the bone. The boot presses on the bone/nerve and over time causes much pain.

My question is I'm planning on beginning backpacking on some trips of the 3-10 day variety and wonder if the low rise boots which don't cover the ankle bone would provide adequates support. I'm 6'1" and 175 lbs and hope to limit my pack weight to 40-50lbs.

Any suggestions on which boots would give the most support if I have to use a low-rise. I think the "mid-rise" will cover the ankle bone.

Any hikers using a low-rise? Thanks for the comments.Plain and simple, if you don't go above that ankle bone thingy there is no ankle support. Only you know how much ankle support and sole cushioning you need, but at your weight for your height you shouldn't need much, and you shouldn't have to reduce your pack weight much either, but if reducing your pack weight enables you to wear trial runners you should definitely give that some serious consideration.

JAK
07-25-2008, 15:19
I like leather in winter because I can dry and thaw them out. I have a medium rise pair not that much heavier than trail runners but with no more support either, but I can thaw and dry them out with fire when I need to. Less cushion though, which is not a problem on snow but is a problem on frozen ground. Traditional moccassins would be fun to try if I got my body weight down to something more traditional also. ;)

Pedaling Fool
07-25-2008, 16:09
...My question is I'm planning on beginning backpacking on some trips of the 3-10 day variety and wonder if the low rise boots which don't cover the ankle bone would provide adequates support. I'm 6'1" and 175 lbs and hope to limit my pack weight to 40-50lbs...

Any hikers using a low-rise? Thanks for the comments.
I've always used high-rise thick leather boots since my first days on the trail. So I can say that all this talk about high-tops providing more ankle support is BS; I'm sure it factors in, but they won't prevent you from rolling your ankle. It's kind of like all the back injuries from all those blue-collar workers wearing those back braces.

I can say this because when I first started hiking I rolled my ankle on a practice hike over The Priest the weekend before my Rockfish Gap to Harper's Ferry hike. The next week when I started my "big hike" my ankle was feeling ok. However, I soon rolled it again, from that point on I averaged about 1 roll a day on that ankle. It was a miserable two weeks and I limped the entire way.

It took about a year for my ankle to completely heal, but on the plus side I don't hurt my ankles anymore, my muscles in that area are now stronger and more flexible, also my reflexes are much quicker in that area, so when my ankle starts to roll, immediately something in me automatically straightens my foot back up.

Your body will get used to the hiking environment, despite the footwear you choose. Just take it easy when you do injure yourself.

Summit
07-25-2008, 19:58
I started with 2 1/2 lb per foot high-top all leather clunkers in the '70s. Hey, didn't everybody? I gradually went from thinner high-tops (Vasque) until today I wear, and would not use anything else, trail runners (or cross trainers as they are sometimes called).

I have had less ankle rolls and falls with trail runners because, being keenly aware that I am more vulnerable, I am also more careful. Fitted with the right trail runner, you will experience pure joy in hiking (OK, the bottoms of your feet will still get sore after a lot of miles) and not desire to throw your boots off a nearby cliff at the end of the day! :)

take-a-knee
07-25-2008, 20:01
From my very first hikes until now, my "boots" have gotten consistently lighter. I gave up on leather boots about ten years ago. I did the latter half of last year's AT section in trail runners, and loved 'em. TAK, maybe you need to work on strengthening your ankles. ;)

Twenty-two years as a paratrooper might have something to do with that. I've landed on my lowered rucksack on way too many night jumps. Balance can certainly be gained and lost. Climbing on a Stairmaster step mill without holding on improved mine a lot. I don't recall the weights but the Asolos I use now don't weigh that much more than my New Balance 801's.

JAK
07-26-2008, 04:32
If you do need more support when you want to hike heavy you might be able to find something that has more room where that bumpy bone of yours is. You might even be able to modify a good boot my cutting out a hole there and then patching it on the outside to make more room where you need it. Then of course there are custom boots, which are expensive but I would love a pair someday. I would say if the bootmaker does not start by actually running their hands all over your feet then it is not a real custom boot. Helps if the guy is old too. Definitely a lost art, but there are still people out there.

sbennett
07-26-2008, 12:19
Many people believe today that the ankle support in a shoe is not derived entirely from the height of the boot (and whether it goes over the ankle). In fact, it's just one of the components along with good torsional rigidity (or lateral rigidity) and a solid heel cup. You can also get a bit more support using trekking poles as this stabilizing your entire body, and thus, your ankles as well.

Whatever you go with, hiking in lowtops with 50 pounds won't be a lot of fun. Try and reduce your packweight, find something that's kind of stiff laterally, use some poles, and you'll be ready to rock.

rafe
07-26-2008, 12:24
Whatever you go with, hiking in lowtops with 50 pounds won't be a lot of fun. Try and reduce your packweight, find something that's kind of stiff laterally, use some poles, and you'll be ready to rock.

I think that pretty much nails it -- the trend toward lighter footwear parallels the trend toward lighter packs. Most of us find that poles help also, by keeping minor mis-steps from turning into full-fledged falls.

iliketacos
07-26-2008, 12:34
You may need to look at a few more mid-height boots to find one that doesn't irritate your ankle. The best solution I heard here for the trail runner option is:

-reduce your pack weight into at least the 30 lb range
-use hiking poles which will give you more stability.

Wear an ankle sleeve or support brace if your still concerned about ankle roll. A few items I would like to point out:

1. If you have enough training hikes behind you you will strengthen your ankle so that when you roll your ankle you should be ok.

2. You (most probably) will roll your ankle at some point on a long hike-and also probably fall and bust your butt too. This is not to say that you will get hurt in the process, the odds are in your favor that you won't get hurt in the hiker meets slippery rock accident. Laugh it off when it happens. Use your poles and watch your step.

Good luck.

JAK
07-26-2008, 12:40
I think the weight depends on how much excess body weight you are already carrying. This chap is same height as me but 50 pounds lighter so he should do just fine with 40-50 pounds, even in trail runners. 20-30 pounds would be better of course.