PDA

View Full Version : Gear Questions, Blowgun, Pager, and Camera

SurferNerd
07-25-2008, 14:12
Greetings fellow hikers, I'm starting the gear packing for next years hike. I want to have everything by November so I can get out and play around with everything to be familiar with it beforehand. I've got three pieces of gear I've been contemplating, all are lightweight and easily packed. They all have pro's and con's, so I was hoping for a few second opinions. First up, a 2 way pager. Now, I'm taking a SPOT, already bought, just not activated yet. But as for communication on the trail, email, and the such it seems pagers have the best signal coverage compared to cellphones. I'm thinking of like when I get to a town, how to phone up the hostel for a ride, KIT with my family, and general human contact. The motorola T900 has a battery life of 4 weeks on one AA lithium battery. The service is cheap and not an issue. Do you guys think its better to have a prepaid CDMA phone "Verizon" which forces me to take a charger and have to find charging stations, take the pager, or have you ever really seen the need to use a phone to contact hostels.

Second item, a blowgun. I've extremely fluent and accurate with the one that I have now which is a 48". I know for sure thats way too long and I can get an 18" 2 piece breakdown model that weighs 3 ounces including 24 sharp wire darts. I wouldn't mind having it for catching a squirrel, rabbit, or fowl for some delicacy eats. It's legal in all the AT states except Massachusetts, which it would be tied down and out of view. I don't want to take a gun, and a bow and arrow requires permits normally. What do ya'all think, take it or leave it? Any experience?

Third item, camera. Most likely the hardest item to pack for me. I want it digital, lightweight, battery efficient and universal AA compatible, as well as semi resistant to the weather. I've been looking at the Olympus waterproof line forever, but its lack of AA battery compatibility makes it an automatic no go. I've had my Kodak Z885 for almost a year, I love it, but its not efficient in shots per battery. I've been looking at the Canon A590, so far its my best looker. It has a viewfinder, so I can save battery by killing the screen, its AA friendly, its lightweight, and its SDHC compatible so that it will work with a 32GB SD card worthy of 20,000 pics. Any ideas, suggestions, reading points?

Thanks for the input!

Phreak
07-25-2008, 14:25
I'd say leave the blowgun at home. But that's just my $0.02. :D

taildragger
07-25-2008, 14:39
What are you tipping your darts with so that you can actually kill a duck (let alone a rabbit or a squirrel). I used to be good with one, and if the critter was much bigger than a mouse I'd most likely lose it.

However, you could be the hero of the shelter if you slay the invading mice. I've heard hiker chicks dig that :sun

drastic_quench
07-25-2008, 15:09
So you're planning to poach game, with a blowgun no less, all through the AT?

I hunt. But I do it by the books, so I've got a problem with someone hunting with inadequate equipment (needlessly wounded animals) and no license through 14 states.

minnesotasmith
07-25-2008, 15:22
You'll never use it, for one thing. You won't get it out in time to deal with a threatening dog (feral hogs can be really mean, but how common are they?), and nothing else is likely to be a legitimate target. It's just extra weight and volume that you paid to have, and will likely get destroyed over the course of your hike.

Oh, and it's probably very illegal in NY and New England.

Bear spray, or just rely upon a proper hiking staff, is my advice for the defense issue.

Bare Bear
07-25-2008, 16:11
Too funny.......you are kidding right???

taildragger
07-25-2008, 16:17
Too funny.......you are kidding right???

Nah, he must be serious, he talked about cameras in the original post. Very serious indeed :banana:banana:banana

leeki pole
07-25-2008, 16:46
...umm, fluent with a blowgun? that's downright scary........:eek:

drastic_quench
07-25-2008, 17:07
...umm, fluent with a blowgun? that's downright scary........:eek:
Yeah, I took Spanish instead.

mister krabs
07-25-2008, 17:48
I say bring the blowgun just for kicks, you can always ditch it later. Check the laws in all the states for both carry and game. AFAIK they're illegal in NJ. Doves taste goood!

kayak karl
07-25-2008, 17:58
What are you tipping your darts with so that you can actually kill :sun
curare ??

Nomad94
07-25-2008, 19:09
You should take the 48" blowgun.

Don't let the lightweight guys get to you-- when the time comes for quality you don't want that 18 incher to fail.

take-a-knee
07-25-2008, 19:54
You should take the 48" blowgun.

Don't let the lightweight guys get to you-- when the time comes for quality you don't want that 18 incher to fail.

Certainly, use a surplus M2 machine gun barrel for a tube, shouldn't weigh more than 25# max.

SurferNerd
07-25-2008, 20:06
Well I've been looking into the legalities of small game hunting on the trail. And here's the thoughts and answers.

Taildragger: I will be tipping the darts with curare. I've already got my hands on a supply from a Cherokee Indian tribe in NC that are friends of my family. As for the shelter mice, it's a great and fantastic idea, but killing mice unless they are truly going to injure me or my grub is not humane.

Nomad94: I like the idea of bringing my 48", the extra weight isn't a problem, it's more the size. Even a breakdown model would be two 24" panels that are beyond the size I would want to carry. I contemplated figuring a way to turn my trekking poles into one, but it won't work without compromising the poles.

mister_krabs: I have verified its legality in all states to possess and carry, only Massachusetts poses its as illegal. As for small game hunting licenses, I have done a fairly good amount, and I'm waiting on a few replies from ATC people with information on the topic.

Bare-Bear: I'm quite serious, seeing as the only meat I will have is either freeze dried, or salt cured, it would be nice to once a week have a nice prepared meal of fresh meat.

minnesotasmith: It's not for protection at all, it wouldn't fatally injure anything larger than a rabbit, and I'm bringing bear spray for protection. It is perfectly legal in all states that follow the trail expect for Massachusetts, but that is possesion and carry, not hunting laws.

cortez_the_killer: I understand the feeling, I'm going to let animals suffer, and neither would I not go find it after I shot it if it where to run off. Using a poisoned dart, and proper FPS there's no reason why the animal wouldn't stop dead in its tracks. Hunting with blowguns has been around for hundreds of years, its not uncommon, and its not like I just started learning it. I've been playing with blowguns for over 10 years. It's not inadequate, it's just for small game.

SurferNerd
07-25-2008, 20:07
Any opinions on camera's or cellphone/pager communications?

J5man
07-25-2008, 20:14
Casio Exilim cameras - digital, 1/2 inch thin, telephoto, can clip it to your backpack strap. Great for hiking. Bring an extra baggie to store it in at night and when it rains.

SurferNerd
07-25-2008, 20:20
I love the Exilim's, I had one several years ago. It wouldn't work for the trail tho because of the rechargeable batteries. If it's not universally run from AA or AAA then it would be a huge detriment to find charging stations and carrying chargers. I couldn't imagine topping a cliff, and my camera is dead with no extra batteries.

bigcranky
07-25-2008, 20:23
The Canon is fine, use AA Lithiums for best performance and lowest weight. Though they are pricey. Great little camera.

No opinion on the pager. As a sectioner, I carry a cell phone turned off in my pack. I don't worry about carrying a charger, because I'll be back to my car in a week. For a thru-hike, it's more problematic. A phone is very useful at times, and you won't find many pay phones these days. (Though they are available, and a phone card weighs almost nothing.) I'd be tempted to just leave the phone and not worry about it.

budforester
07-25-2008, 20:24
Poison tips are illegal in my state, may be good to research that aspect for the AT states. Waterfowl and migratory birds are probably off- limits, too. If so, those would be a Federal crime.

bigcranky
07-25-2008, 20:27
I love the Exilim's, I had one several years ago. It wouldn't work for the trail tho because of the rechargeable batteries. If it's not universally run from AA or AAA then it would be a huge detriment to find charging stations and carrying chargers. I couldn't imagine topping a cliff, and my camera is dead with no extra batteries.

I used to say the same thing. I'm not sure I agree anymore. I carry a spare Li-Ion battery and a charger, and simply make sure I leave town with two fully-charged batteries. As I get three or four hundred shots per charge, I've never even come close to using both batteries before I got to a place where I could recharge them. Luckily, the charger than came with my camera is pretty small and light. (The one that came with my wife's camera is light, but it requires a huge heavy cord. Dumb design.)

If you are using Alkaline AA batteries, you'll need to carry several spare sets, which probably weigh as much as the charger and the spare Li-Ion. Lithium AA batteries are a lot lighter, but freaking expensive.

SurferNerd
07-25-2008, 20:31
That was my gut feeling, drop the phone. I'm not going to go all crazy and keep one with a Solio. I think a Moto T900 pager is sufficient, and with its universal AA battery and 4 week life, it's a great take. It's 4 ounces, but it keeps me in contact with humans.

The Canon is great, I found the A590 on TigerDirect for about 159.99 plus a 16GB SDHC for 64.99. I've read some reviews about it being a good trail camera because of its overal pro's.

SurferNerd
07-25-2008, 20:34
What state do you live in, my internet hunting has so far come up with no legalities for curare because it is a natural poison used by many Indian tribes? I need more research for your state.

SurferNerd
07-25-2008, 20:39
I used to say the same thing. I'm not sure I agree anymore. I carry a spare Li-Ion battery and a charger, and simply make sure I leave town with two fully-charged batteries. As I get three or four hundred shots per charge, I've never even come close to using both batteries before I got to a place where I could recharge them. Luckily, the charger than came with my camera is pretty small and light. (The one that came with my wife's camera is light, but it requires a huge heavy cord. Dumb design.)

If you are using Alkaline AA batteries, you'll need to carry several spare sets, which probably weigh as much as the charger and the spare Li-Ion. Lithium AA batteries are a lot lighter, but freaking expensive.

If that ended up being the case, I'd jump the Olympus waterproof line, but that xd card has me worried. The AA batteries would last me a week of shooting for 2 I guess, and with my flashlight running 1 AA, my SPOT running on 2 that should last the whole trail, as well as my possible pager on 1 AA. It seems to be more easy to carry 4 extra AA at anytime. And Li-Ion are so lightweight, but your right, extremely pricey. I've been toying funds for a year now, so I could splurge if necessary. In your trail history, how did it work with charging, besides hostels where could you charge? And how long was the downtime for charging?

Bob S
07-25-2008, 20:44
Buying 14 out of state small game hunting licenses could easily cost a couple thousand dollars. Poaching could cost a lot more. I would not take the blow gun; it’s a thin aluminum tube that can be easily bent. And I would guess you are not going to buy the small game permits. That means you are going to be poaching game. Not a good thing.

SurferNerd
07-25-2008, 20:48
Buying 14 out of state small game hunting licenses could easily cost a couple thousand dollars. Poaching could cost a lot more. I would not take the blow gun; it’s a thin aluminum tube that can be easily bent. And I would guess you are not going to buy the small game permits. That means you are going to be poaching game. Not a good thing.

Alright, I'm convinced blowguns are a bad idea. Between varying permits, and varying laws between states, its not worth the hassle or energy to make it work.

Lone Wolf
07-25-2008, 21:10
bring the blowgun. wild rabbit is darn good

SurferNerd
07-25-2008, 21:12
But is that wild rabbit illegal to shoot? I'm interested in squirrel, rabbit, and maybe fowl. Are there actually hunting permits required for those besides fowl?

Blissful
07-25-2008, 21:17
bring the blowgun. wild rabbit is darn good

LW - You're confusing the poor guy! :D He just said he wouldn't bring it

I'll have to say that's the first I seen on WB about a blow gun. (!)

Honestly the trail is hard and tiring enough. After the first 100 miles, you'll most likely get rid of anything heavy and cumbersome. My son's 2 lb knife went out at mile 50.

But, to each his own. HYOH

hopefulhiker
07-25-2008, 21:21
Maybe you could use the blowgun as a tent pole at night...

SurferNerd
07-25-2008, 21:24
Maybe you could use the blowgun as a tent pole at night...

Amazingly thats a good idea. I was considering removing the cord from the poles to conserve weight, and this would give me a perfect shaft and barrel. I'd have to verify its internal smoothness and diameter, but I might just look into that. Great idea!

burger
07-25-2008, 21:25
One more thought on the blowgun: regardless of state hunting seasons/permits, it's absolutely illegal to do any kind of hunting on National Park Service lands. That includes all of the Smokies, Shenandoah, and the several hundred additional miles of trail corridor owned by the park service. Read more here: http://www.appalachiantrail.org/site/c.jkLXJ8MQKtH/b.795531/

Flush2wice
07-25-2008, 22:19
In most states there's no permit needed to hunt varmints- groundhog, nutria, skunks, coyote, rats, mice, snakes. You'll need a permit to take squirrel, rabbit, beaver, coon, possum, fowl, etc.
I'd take the little one and practice on the shelter mice. The short ones are harder to aim.
I took one of those this spring on a hike from Max Patch to Hot Springs. The darts are easy to lose.

Bob S
07-25-2008, 23:16
In most states there's no permit needed to hunt varmints- groundhog, nutria, skunks, coyote, rats, mice, snakes. You'll need a permit to take squirrel, rabbit, beaver, coon, possum, fowl, etc.
I'd take the little one and practice on the shelter mice. The short ones are harder to aim.
I took one of those this spring on a hike from Max Patch to Hot Springs. The darts are easy to lose.

I don’t know about that …:-?

I love hunting woodchucks!:eek:

In Ohio you need a small game permit (A hunting license) to hunt woodchuck. I would make a guess that other states are not going to let this revenue source get away any more then Ohio does.

Bob S
07-25-2008, 23:22
This post is for informational purposes only, I’m not suggesting illegal hunting!

An air pistol would be a better choice then a blowgun.

It provides more killing ability then a small, thin wire dart. I have dropped rabbits with one in one shot; they always run away when shot with a blowgun. ( I have a 2-foot blowgun)

PS I have a hunting license, I don’t illegally kill rabbits so don’t blow a gasket on me.

kayak karl
07-25-2008, 23:35
But is that wild rabbit illegal to shoot? I'm interested in squirrel, rabbit, and maybe fowl. Are there actually hunting permits required for those besides fowl?
they will need evidence to find you guilty:D EAT IT :)

SunnyWalker
07-26-2008, 00:25
Ditch the camera and phone/pager. Take the blowgun!
. . . ohhhhhhh, what's that? What got me? A mosquito, NOOOOOOOOO its a dart, SURFERNERD you are at it again, I told you to stop that!!!

oops56
07-26-2008, 01:39
Just get a car iner tube make a good sling shot.Gee don't anybody makes things any more all store bought.

SurferNerd
07-26-2008, 13:46
Alright Alright, final decision. After several emails and several opinions, the blowgun will be a no go. I might attempt a hidden one in a tent stake of my Hubba, unless I decide to go with the hammock. I've spoken with a NPS ranger and they said its usable on certain portions, but its not worth the hassle. And he mentioned a good point as well, the bones and skin, and the LNT. Unless I could make good use of all 100% its not an efficient way.

What about pager's, or camera's? I've heard very little on a communication device. I'm waiting for bigcranky's response to camera batteries.

codpilot
07-26-2008, 16:59
I too didn't like hauling around the charger etc with me. I carry a Vivicam 6300, it's a 6M camera using standard SD memory - so I get on average 350 shots on a 2G stick (short movies, some high def pictures, some low def) The best part is 2AA lithium batteries work like a charm. The last pair lasted 3 weeks of hiking straight and well over 400 pictures (not many with flash - that eats the batteries to death) And since I had a drop box waiting waiting about every 5 or so days - stuffing a spare pair of batteries to bounce ahead worked like a charm. I'm glad you dropped the blowgun idea. Not for any anti hunting thing - but just because when I get may chance to hit the trail for a few weeks (I'm section hiking, and I'm in Miami - takes effort to get back to the trail) All I want to do is hike. Going to the time and effort to hunt, clean and cook, even incidentally for me would take away the fun of hiking. Heck you want meat - hit a burger joint when you cruise through town! As for pager - whatever. I bought a cheapie phone that let's me use my sim card and if I leave it off lasts easily a month (plus there's that old bounce box thing for the charger 8) Plan for 2009 - I 19E to Harpers Ferry (If the gods of chaos and the Wife are willing) Weee Depending on when we hit the trail maybe you'll run across me (I'm slowing down these days - too many baked goodies in the house - need to hit the gym before next summer!) Eric aka Mapquest '06, '07, boss would let me go this year 8(, ?'09?

SurferNerd
07-26-2008, 21:42
I too didn't like hauling around the charger etc with me. I carry a Vivicam 6300, it's a 6M camera using standard SD memory - so I get on average 350 shots on a 2G stick (short movies, some high def pictures, some low def) The best part is 2AA lithium batteries work like a charm. The last pair lasted 3 weeks of hiking straight and well over 400 pictures (not many with flash - that eats the batteries to death) And since I had a drop box waiting waiting about every 5 or so days - stuffing a spare pair of batteries to bounce ahead worked like a charm. I'm glad you dropped the blowgun idea. Not for any anti hunting thing - but just because when I get may chance to hit the trail for a few weeks (I'm section hiking, and I'm in Miami - takes effort to get back to the trail) All I want to do is hike. Going to the time and effort to hunt, clean and cook, even incidentally for me would take away the fun of hiking. Heck you want meat - hit a burger joint when you cruise through town! As for pager - whatever. I bought a cheapie phone that let's me use my sim card and if I leave it off lasts easily a month (plus there's that old bounce box thing for the charger 8) Plan for 2009 - I 19E to Harpers Ferry (If the gods of chaos and the Wife are willing) Weee Depending on when we hit the trail maybe you'll run across me (I'm slowing down these days - too many baked goodies in the house - need to hit the gym before next summer!) Eric aka Mapquest '06, '07, boss would let me go this year 8(, ?'09?

I think I'm gonna stick with a universal camera that uses AA, your right its definitely easier. As for the Pager/Phone..is there such a thing as a phone that uses AA, haha.

Chance09
07-26-2008, 22:00
Alright Alright, final decision. After several emails and several opinions, the blowgun will be a no go. I might attempt a hidden one in a tent stake of my Hubba, unless I decide to go with the hammock. I've spoken with a NPS ranger and they said its usable on certain portions, but its not worth the hassle. And he mentioned a good point as well, the bones and skin, and the LNT. Unless I could make good use of all 100% its not an efficient way.

Bones = new darts
Skin = new socks???

SurferNerd
07-26-2008, 22:05
Bones = new darts
Skin = new socks???

Haha, you'd smell my rotting skin ten miles away on the trail, and i can't imagine shooting more than ribs through a 40mm opening. But good thinking.

Chance09
07-26-2008, 22:19
Just curious how would you apply LNT apply to small game?

If an animal dies or is killed by another animal wouldn't whats left, if there is anything, just be laying out on the ground to be picked over by scavengers?
I would imagine that you would bury the rest of skin and bones that are left over. It's not like your really doing anything that doesn't happen in nature already.

SurferNerd
07-26-2008, 22:22
Just curious how would you apply LNT apply to small game?

If an animal dies or is killed by another animal wouldn't whats left, if there is anything, just be laying out on the ground to be picked over by scavengers?
I would imagine that you would bury the rest of skin and bones that are left over. It's not like your really doing anything that doesn't happen in nature already.

I have to agree, its not really LNT, but it kinda is. I dunno....

Flush2wice
07-26-2008, 22:51
Just get a car iner tube make a good sling shot.Gee don't anybody makes things any more all store bought.
I thought about that too- but they're dangerous against shelter mice due to ricochet. The darts are better in the shelters.

Flush2wice
07-26-2008, 23:34
Here's a site about small game hunting with a home made blow gun. This guy even catches fish.
http://www.geocities.com/blowgunhunter/

http://www.geocities.com/blowgunhunter_pics/hunt_pix/doorway.jpg

mudcap
07-27-2008, 00:00
wow! Very cool!

SurferNerd
07-27-2008, 00:18
Here's a site about small game hunting with a home made blow gun. This guy even catches fish.
http://www.geocities.com/blowgunhunter/

And you people doubted me...haha

Hikes in Rain
07-27-2008, 15:12
I used to use (not so well) homemade blowguns. Way fun, and even with my clumsy construction, very surprisingly accurate and powerful enough to stick a dart into a concrete block wall! (Once. Seriously screwed up the point)

Where'd you get the two you have? I'd like to get one.

Wilson
07-27-2008, 15:21
When you get near Cherokee, check out the blowgun demo.

http://www.cherokee-nc.com/index.php?page=19

SurferNerd
07-27-2008, 16:56
I used to use (not so well) homemade blowguns. Way fun, and even with my clumsy construction, very surprisingly accurate and powerful enough to stick a dart into a concrete block wall! (Once. Seriously screwed up the point)

Where'd you get the two you have? I'd like to get one.

I bought mine at the local arm/navy supply store. The brand of blowguns is called terminator. I've been using them for about 6 years, and found them to be the best at accuracy, warranty, and durability.

SurferNerd
07-27-2008, 16:59
When you get near Cherokee, check out the blowgun demo.

http://www.cherokee-nc.com/index.php?page=19

That's who I got my curare poison through. My family has good Cherokee Indian Friends who live in the smokies, and hunt with blowguns. They gave me five ounces of powder poison and explained how to activate and apply it. I think they were the ones who got me into it 10 years ago when we vacationed there, and they showed my parents and I how to work them.

daibutsu
07-27-2008, 17:41
Back to the Blow gun; it's a no brainer, if it weren't for me having one I'd never know that a Peregrine Falcon tastes almost like a Spotted Owl!!

SunnyWalker
07-27-2008, 20:13
Surfernerd: I know you didn't supply the photo, but its impressive. Does the curae become inactive when the animal is cooked? Looks like fun. come to West Texas and you can hunt rabbits to your hearts content.

minnesotasmith
07-28-2008, 08:47
come to West Texas and you can hunt rabbits to your hearts content.

I was on a well there last summer. When I went for walks, I couldn't go 60' half the time without flushing a rabbit. A hunter there with average aim IMO could keep a whole neighborhood in meat, were he so inclined.

Again re the blowgun... I still think that it's a diversion of effort, resources, and time from hiking to bring it along, let alone spend much time trying to hunt with it. There's all the time in the world to hunt before and after your thruhike. I'd advise concentrating during your hike on hiking, presuming doing the whole AT in one walk is part of your criteria for a successful journey.

rafe
07-28-2008, 09:02
IMO (not to be mean about it) but folks who inquire about hunting on the AT, particularly in the context of a thru-hike, are woefully ignorant of what the AT, and thru-hiking are about. Caught up in some kind of Daniel Boone fantasy. In short, there are far better places to hunt, fish, or even camp. Seems to me that hunting and thru-hiking are mutually exclusive activities. Nothing in common, except that they're both done in the woods.

Flush2wice
07-28-2008, 10:32
Again re the blowgun... I still think that it's a diversion of effort, resources, and time from hiking to bring it along, let alone spend much time trying to hunt with it. There's all the time in the world to hunt before and after your thruhike. I'd advise concentrating during your hike on hiking, presuming doing the whole AT in one walk is part of your criteria for a successful journey.

IMO (not to be mean about it) but folks who inquire about hunting on the AT, particularly in the context of a thru-hike, are woefully ignorant of what the AT, and thru-hiking are about. Caught up in some kind of Daniel Boone fantasy. In short, there are far better places to hunt, fish, or even camp. Seems to me that hunting and thru-hiking are mutually exclusive activities. Nothing in common, except that they're both done in the woods.

Agreed, that's why I suggested his hunting efforts would probably be focused on shelter mice. I caught lot's of them with a cook pot propped up by a stick tied to a length of string with some p-nut butter bait under the pot. I practiced catch and release though.

Dancer
07-28-2008, 11:23
On the subject of cameras, I bought one that uses AA because I was thinking the same as you about always having charged batteries. My ex bought one with the rechargable one about the same time. His little rechargable battery lasted loads longer than my AAs. May be just the camera I bought but I went through batteries like candy. One idea for your charger if you go that route, charger for phone or camera battery, if you plan to use a bounce box you could put it in there and send it up the train to the next town.

minnesotasmith
07-28-2008, 12:11
...shelter mice. I caught lot's of them with a cook pot propped up by a stick tied to a length of string with some p-nut butter bait under the pot. I practiced catch and release though.

They were "released" into the nearest fast-moving large stream, over a cliff, or some other likely-fatal destination.

KarenM982
07-28-2008, 12:36
I have the Canon 720IS which takes AA batteries. I was using generic CVS brand batteries and the battery life was extremely short, but I was also just learning how to use the camera so I would have the display on for a while, turn it off and on a bunch, try out all the different functions, etc. Once I had a good handle on the camera, I turned on all the battery saving options, stuck in 2 new AAs, and the batteries still didnt last that long. I think the issue was using CVS brand AAs...they were cheap and arent great. That said, I'm definitely taking this camera on my thru hike next year. Ive heard that Energizer e2 Lithium batteries are the best, so I'll probably buy a bunch of those and put them in my maildrops. The camera take great photos and has a panoramic option which I really like. It fits perfectly in a MountainSmith camera pouch, which I attach to my pack.

sheepdog
07-28-2008, 12:40
Maybe, but some people rush their hike too much. Hunting if done legally and safely may intensify the experience. When walking the trail a person is observing nature, while hunting a person is a part of nature (IMO). To me nothing satisfies quite like a supper you supplied yourself. In Michigan I've combined hunting, fishing, and gathering with my backpacking experience, it has been most satisfying.

rafe
07-28-2008, 12:50
Maybe, but some people rush their hike too much. Hunting if done legally and safely may intensify the experience. When walking the trail a person is observing nature, while hunting a person is a part of nature (IMO). To me nothing satisfies quite like a supper you supplied yourself. In Michigan I've combined hunting, fishing, and gathering with my backpacking experience, it has been most satisfying.

A thru hike requires a certain minimum number of miles per day, on average. I don't see how you can maintain that minimum and still hunt regularly -- bearing in mind that the hunt involves lots more than simply shooting the animal. As others have mentioned, the AT goes through several National Parks where hunting would be illegal. (Not to mention state parks where it may be illegal...)

sheepdog
07-28-2008, 13:02
A thru hike requires a certain minimum number of miles per day, on average. I don't see how you can maintain that minimum and still hunt regularly -- bearing in mind that the hunt involves lots more than simply shooting the animal. As others have mentioned, the AT goes through several National Parks where hunting would be illegal. (Not to mention state parks where it may be illegal...)
It might take a person five months to hike the AT. If one hunted and fished it might take 5 months and two weeks or 6 months. If time is not a problem hunting could be viable. Instead of takeing a zero in town one could take a hunting zero. It must be done safely and leagally.

Nearly Normal
07-28-2008, 14:08
It looks like night time in the photo.
Where there are game animals you may hunt at night, rabbit is probably not one of them.
That would be one expensive rabbit if you get caught.

sheepdog
07-28-2008, 14:24
It looks like night time in the photo.
Where there are game animals you may hunt at night, rabbit is probably not one of them.
That would be one expensive rabbit if you get caught.
The best hunting is usually first thing in the morning, last thing before night. Our hunting hours in Michigan end one half hour after sunset, It is still light out but getting dark fast. We could give him the benifit of the doubt. One should always follow the rules.

rafe
07-28-2008, 17:25
It might take a person five months to hike the AT. If one hunted and fished it might take 5 months and two weeks or 6 months. If time is not a problem hunting could be viable. Instead of takeing a zero in town one could take a hunting zero. It must be done safely and leagally.

I did say, "hunting regularly." Obviously if it were only done occasionally, there would be less impact on the hiking schedule. I still don't see where hunting and thru-hiking mix, but maybe that's just me. ;)

Dancer
07-30-2008, 13:30
///////////////////////////////////////////

SurferNerd
07-30-2008, 13:33
Hey guys,

Any phone/pager and camera advise? He already decided against the blowgun and has turned the thread toward his other questions. At this point a 'should you hunt and thru-hike?' thread might be in order to keep from highjacking this one.

Just my $.02 though, take it or leave it.

Thank you amazonwoman. I'm considering the pager quite highly. I'm more interestest in its average signal quality for the mountains. After hunting on trailjournals, I've located a few people who stated they had brought the T900, but no mention of QOS. As for camera, I've decided to go with the Canon A590.

Black Wolf
12-20-2010, 01:05
I wouldn't bring a blown gun myself...just seems like a hassle in the making... but I kinda' fancy the idea... I can say this...years ago a good friend bought a real one for hunting...and we were shooting darts through a Coca~cola bottle and into a cutting board and hadta' use pliers to pull them out...

Hunt or Hike...don't do both..one will only distract from the other...but I can't quit thinking how fun it would be...I bet having a beer with you would be entertaining

catingeorgia
12-20-2010, 20:30
if anything i would suggest taking a cell phone. if your only going to use it to call hostels i would say take a cell and only turn it on when you plan to use it that way you save battery and dont have to charge it very much. the blowgun idea is pretty funny though...doesnt sound practical lol

hikerboy57
12-20-2010, 20:54
How do you intend to cook your catch? You're gonna need a good knife for gutting and skinning, and maybe a heavy ax to chop some firewood. Leave the blowgun, you're more likely to wound a small critter than kill it, and I think you'll find better ways to spend your lack of energy at the end of the day than hunting wabbits.

im lost
12-20-2010, 21:26
I dont know about all the states involved but in virginia small game season is over by march 1

Mr Boston
12-20-2010, 21:39
You kill it, I grill it.

ec.hiker
12-20-2010, 22:14
He should try it on that giant hog seen on the trail triet couldntd to get the picture on here bu

ec.hiker
12-20-2010, 22:19
http://whiteblaze.net/forum/vbg/showimage.php?i=15873&original=1&c=
here ya go

4eyedbuzzard
12-20-2010, 23:14
Possession of a blowgun, and killing any wildlife without authorization, even shelter mice, in a National Park is illegal under 36 CFR.

alicewei
05-11-2011, 01:51
I want to Thank Braid here on WB for his heartwarming contribution to our AT museum Grand Opening festivities. His Hiker Song just sums it all up. Hope all you 09'ers get to sign the banner too , at Traildays or an ALDHA Gathering maybe.