PDA

View Full Version : Doggie Recipes

ct1974rlw
07-25-2008, 18:45
Ok....tried posting this before but it didn't work, lol. I'm sure user error!

Here is some of my dogs favorite recipes. They can all be changed to suit indivual taste (even if that is human-yes they recipes are safe for human consumption although probably not too tasty-although I have never tried:-) If contain eggs, make sure eggs are fully cooked before consumption). One recipe usually feeds one of my dogs for a week on the trail. (I have shepherds) Also here is some foods to be extremely cautious on as they can be toxic:

Broccoli-should not be given more than 10% of your dog's total daily intake, is known to cause gastrointestional upset in small animals and fatal in livestock.

Chocolate-Fatal in large doses-causes gastroinestional upset in small doses.

Grapes and Raisins-Animal Poison control has documented cases of as few as 7 can be fatal.

Sodium-Known to cause bloat in even small doses. Bloating is very common is working dogs and is a condition that is a life threatening emergency. If you are unfamilar with this condition, you can find a ton of info on it on the web. Some of the recipes below do contain boullion which has sodium, use VERY sparingly if at all. I usually omit them. Please also remember these recipes need to be made in advance as well as the meat fully cooked. Package accordingly. I also find that cubing the meat into 1" sections I use less meat. Dogs don't need as much protein as we think.

TRAIL MIX FOR DOGS (CAN BE USED FOR HUMAN CONSUMPTION IN EMERG)

2lbs BONELESS COOKED CHICKEN, BEEF, LIVER(BEEF ONLY) OR LAMB
1 CUP OF WHOLE GRAIN CEREAL (CHEERIOS)
1 CUP OF SWEET PEAS
1 CUP OF GREEN BEANS
3 CUPS OF APPLES (NO SKINS) CUT UP INTO QUARTERS
1 CUP OF KIDNEY BEANS
1 CUP OF CARROTS
1 CUP OF PEARS
1/8 TSP OF BEEF OR CHICKEN SPICE (USE VERY SPARINGLY AS SODIUM CAN CAUSE BLOAT IN DOGS)
½ CLOVE OF GARLIC-CRUSHED
1 CUP OF MEAT JUICE
½ CUP OF CUBED BREAD OR CORN BREAD

COOK MEAT, SET JUICE ASIDE. MIX ALL INGREDIANTS IN A BOWL. DEHYDRATE ACCORDING TO MACHINE’S INSTRUCTIONS. IF YOU ARE USING DRY INGRED. SUCH AS BEANS, ADD THESE DURING PACKAGING. PACK IN A ZIPLOCK BAG. MAKES APPROX 5LBS .

COOKIE BONES
Dog Food Recipe Ingredients:

1 3/4 c Flour
1/2 c Brown sugar
Lemon rind
1 Egg yolk
2 tb Toasted wheat germ
1/4 c Sesame seeds
12 tb Butter
1/2 c Ground walnuts
1/2 c Vanilla extract
Dog Food Recipe Directions:
Combine all ingredients, knead until thoroughly blended. Divide dough into 6 parts, roll each part into a log. Freeze. When needed, thaw and roll into 1/2" thick slabs and cut into bone shapes. Bake at 375 F on un-greased cookie sheet for approximately 13 min. Makes 36 servings.
Dog Food Recipe Ingredients:

1 1/2 cups flour
1 1/2 cups whole wheat flour
1 tsp. garlic powder
1 cup rye flour
1 egg, beaten
1 cup oats
1/2 cup vegetable oil
1 cup cornmeal
1 3/4 cups beef or chicken broth
1/4 cup liver powder (available in health food stores)
Directions:
Preheat oven to 300F. Mix all dry ingredients in a large bowl. Add egg, oil, and beef broth. Mix the dough, adding enough additional flour to make a dough that can be rolled. On a floured surface, roll to 1/2" thickness, then cut into shapes or squares. Prick with a fork. Bake for 2 hours. Turn the oven off, and let biscuits stand in oven overnight to harden. Store in airtight container.

TRAIL STEW

1LB OF COOKED GROUND BEEF (DEHYDRATED)
1LB OF MIXED VEGGIES (DEHYRATED)
1 SWEET POTATO (MED SIZED-DESKINNED AND DEHYDRATED)
1 CUP OF RICE OR SMALL PASTA

REHYDRATE SERVING PORTIONS AS NEEDED AND TO TASTE. MAY ADD OLIVE OLIVE IF DESIRED.

PUPPY OMELETS

1 CUP OF DEHYDRATED EGGS
1/4 LB OF BACON
2-3 SAUGAGE
½ CUP OF RICE

DEHYDRATE AND PACKAGE. REHYDRATE AND SERVE AS NEEDED.

PUPPY CEREAL
¼ CUP OF POWERED WHOLE MILK
2 CUPS OF WHOLE GRAIN CEREAL (CHEERIOS)
3 TABLESPOONS OF BACON BITS
MIX POWERED MILK WITH COLD WATER ACCORDING TO TASTE AND POUR OVER MIXURE.

Money Saving Tips:

Feeding two german shepherds can be expensive! So I found these tips to be helpful:

SALE SALE SALE!! I always purchase my meats on sale and in bulk. Then I freeze them for later use.

I visit my butcher and ask for scraps-this helps a lot.

I make all recipes in bulk-it saves money and time as well. Once dehydrated, the shelf life is almost indefinate.

Anyone care to add????

-Roxy

Aussie922
07-25-2008, 19:43
Great recipes. Thanks so much. I have one for liver brownies that I'll put up later.

A few foods to add to the 'toxic to dogs list':
Xylitol (sweetener)- causes sudden drop in blood sugar which can result in seizures.
Onions and garlic- can cause breakdown of red blood cells and anemia.
Macadamia nuts- I don't remember why, but I know that they are known to cause problems.
Mushrooms- A lot of the same ones that are poisonous to us are poisonous to our dogs. I noticed a ton of them while I was on the AT in PA last week. Just be careful if your dog is known to pick things up.

pedal
07-25-2008, 21:20
Aussie, I like your signature.

Aussie922
07-25-2008, 21:48
Haha, thanks. Its so true ;)

I use this at dog shows and for agility and obedience training- it really keeps a dog's attention, and it doesn't crumble.
I dehydrated it last time I went backpacking and used it as treats (when we took breaks and when we were passing other people on narrow parts of the trail to keep her attention).

Liver Brownies
1 lb. liver
1 packet Lipton's soup dry mix (I use beefy onion)
2 eggs
3 cups oatmeal
1 tsp. crushed garlic (from a jar)

Puree liver in food processor. Add eggs. Add soup mix and garlic. Blend some more. Dump in bowl. Add oatmeal. Mix thoroughly. Grease big pan. Pour mixture in pan and spread around until its the thickness of brownies. Bake 1 hour at 300F. Cut immediately and freeze in brownie sizes.

SunnyWalker
07-26-2008, 00:29
I just pull the hair, skin the dog, clean it out, and then cut off the parts I don' want, (head, etc.) and then roast if over the fire. Yum.

SunnyWalker
07-26-2008, 00:30
Sorry for the last post. It just struck me as hilarious! some of these recipies I think I would like too. Might have to let the dog go forage.

trouthunter
07-26-2008, 02:11
Fresh trout.
I know,... it's not a recipe.

But it is very high in protein, & fatty acids.

Thanks for taking the time posting those recipes, I printed them out.

Two Speed
07-26-2008, 06:54
I just pull the hair, skin the dog, clean it out, and then cut off the parts I don' want, (head, etc.) and then roast if over the fire. Yum.Oh, we all knew that one was coming.

atraildreamer
07-28-2008, 13:35
I just pull the hair, skin the dog, clean it out, and then cut off the parts I don' want, (head, etc.) and then roast if over the fire. Yum.

John Billings (http://www.imdb.com/name/nm0728132/): I say we drink the wine, eat the dogs, and use the paper for musket wading.
Reverend Oliver (http://www.imdb.com/name/nm0041281/): [alarmed] eat the dogs!
Benjamin Martin (http://www.imdb.com/name/nm0000154/): [going along with Billings' joke] A dog is a fine meal.
Reverend Oliver (http://www.imdb.com/name/nm0041281/): [still alarmed] G-G-Good Heavens!
[Billings and Martin laugh]

Wise Old Owl
08-02-2008, 22:01
Wow you have done your home work, I could throw that in a dryer and know my dog would be a king for a day, but this appears to be quite a bit of work for the trail, I would try to simplify it. Jmo