PDA

View Full Version : Tent for Winter, Hammock for summer?

SurferNerd
07-25-2008, 20:15
In the process of gear packing for next years AT thru hike, I was looking into tens and options for sleeping. I personally own a MSR Hubba which I absolutely love. But its heavy, requires ground to put it, and bulky packaging because of tent poles. Now from what I've heard hammock camping is fantastic, I've had a buddy take his Hennessey on the AT for a week in June, and I gave it a try, loved it. Here's the question, if I sleep in that hammock with a lightweight feathered friends sleeping bag on the AT from March 1 til it gets warm, am I going to worry about it being too cold. Should I stuff my tent ito a bounce box and when I switch to summer clothes just change from the tent to the hammock, or is it comfortable enough in the cold that I shouldn't worry about a tent at all. Also, trees, how badly does it damage them?

kayak karl
07-25-2008, 22:05
In the process of gear packing for next years AT thru hike, I was looking into tens and options for sleeping. I personally own a MSR Hubba which I absolutely love. But its heavy, requires ground to put it, and bulky packaging because of tent poles. Now from what I've heard hammock camping is fantastic, I've had a buddy take his Hennessey on the AT for a week in June, and I gave it a try, loved it. Here's the question, if I sleep in that hammock with a lightweight feathered friends sleeping bag on the AT from March 1 til it gets warm, am I going to worry about it being too cold. Should I stuff my tent ito a bounce box and when I switch to summer clothes just change from the tent to the hammock, or is it comfortable enough in the cold that I shouldn't worry about a tent at all. Also, trees, how badly does it damage them?
use webbing for trees (tree huggers). now with that out of the way, i am leaving SOBO in a couple of weeks. i plan to do whole trail in hammock. with under quilts and large tarp i should be OK. anything under 50+/- degrees you need a pad or under quilt in a hammock ( in my opinion ). the sleeping bag compresses too much. when the temps drop in fall try it out in your yard or somebody else's, when the temp drops about 1am you will see what i mean. i went to a hammock because of my back (not my age:)) check out http://www.hammockforums.net/? lot of ideas there.
HAVE FUN:sun

take-a-knee
07-25-2008, 22:24
I'm knew to the cool weather hammock set, I've slept down to the 20's so far, nothing remarkable. Over at www.hammockforms.net there is a poster named Shug from Minnesota that hangs all winter so it can be done. If you've tried a Hennessy hammock and like it, order one without a tarp ( $60 less, IIRC). Then order a Macat Deluxe (OES) or a Speer Winter Tarp (Speer Hammocks), you'll need the larger tarp to break the wind. The Hennessy tarp is dental floss, they are chasing a low hammock/tarp weight at the expense of a proper tarp. Then order a JRB 3-season set (Nest underquilt and No-Sniveler top quilt). None of this stuff is cheap, but all of it can be sold for %75 of the purchase price at hammock forums if you decide to stay on the ground. Visit hammock forums and look around, lots of helpful folks there. Also, there are periodic "hangs" (get togethers of hammockers) around the country. If people know you are coming, hammock nuts will bring their extra gear for you to try. Also look at Speer Hammocks Segmented Pad Extender, you can take the Thermarest you already likely have and stay warm in a Hennessy. Combining this with an underquilt can take you down to some fairly low temps.

Bulldawg
07-25-2008, 23:00
I love my hammock. Good advice already given here. I have slept down to about 25*F in my homemade hammock, homemade tarp, and a homemade primaloft underquilt. I also had a Gossamer Gear wide pad and a 30*F North Face bag actually in the hammock that night. The winds got up pretty good that night, maybe 25-30 mph, but luckily I was set up low with the tarp buckled down pretty good. Those winds were whistling over the top of that mountain that night. I woke up at 4AM literally sweating in the bag. My thermals were soaked. I hang a small thermometer on a guy line I use and when I woke up at 4AM, the temp outside was 25*F at 4AM, probably still not the coldest part of the night. Only bad part of that trip was having to get out the next morning and hike. I wanted to just lie there all comfy!!

Good luck!!

whitefoot_hp
07-26-2008, 02:25
you are on to something. hammock better in warmer weather. 2:26 AM and its past time to go set mine up.

Fiddleback
07-26-2008, 09:48
It all depends on what is 'winter' in your area of camping.:) But there are many methods that will keep you comfortable into the mid-20s without much effort. I think in all of our collective experience, under-insulation is the main concern...if you can keep the cold from coming through the bottom, the rest is a piece of cake. Under quilts do the job and are very popular. My own technique uses the older, 7oz / 3/8" Oware pad and an insulated jacket and pants. I have a quilt but I haven't used it in the hammock yet. I've never slept in a sleeping bag while hanging.

Don't sweat the stock Hennessy tarp. It keeps you dry when set properly (it's Sgt Rock, I think, that has a story about hammock hanging through the rain storms of a hurricane's edge). But larger tarps can be convenient by providing additional cover outside/beyond the hammock and are more forgiving when it comes to setting up for rain.

FB

peter_pan
07-26-2008, 09:57
Several folks thru with a hammock every year.... the key is to sort out the bottom insulation with a capably ranged, flexible, light weight, low bulk system.....

Pan

SurferNerd
07-26-2008, 13:49
You guys and gals have been an information fountain. I'm more convinced to just hammock the entire way. How about weight? What's the lightest combination of hammock/fly/underquilt you can think of? I'm not worried about costs, just performance and weight. What I'm getting is start the hike with a hennessey hammock, get a larger tarp, and find a lightweight underquilt. Then once it warms up, ship the quilt home.

Bulldawg
07-26-2008, 13:52
You guys and gals have been an information fountain. I'm more convinced to just hammock the entire way. How about weight? What's the lightest combination of hammock/fly/underquilt you can think of? I'm not worried about costs, just performance and weight. What I'm getting is start the hike with a hennessey hammock, get a larger tarp, and find a lightweight underquilt. Then once it warms up, ship the quilt home.

Sounds like a good plan to me. Down is the key to weight. Look at the combinations mentioned above. Keep an eye out on hammockforums.com for stuff on sale. But when it comes to weight with this type of outfit the word is down, down, down.

SurferNerd
07-26-2008, 14:31
I'll be hunting down some test gear here once the weather gets chilly. This TN 90*+ is bullcrap. I moved outta FL to get away from this heat and humidity.

daibutsu
07-26-2008, 14:35
If you're going to buy a hammock, research it carefully. Some are more "Fluff than Stuff." If you are into non Chinese manufacture some mfrs don't readily admit country of manufacture, Hennessey for one...

SurferNerd
07-26-2008, 14:40
Sadly as much of a proud American I am, and a former Marine, I don't care for country of origin as long as the warranty holds true, and its priced accordingly. If the Chinese can make something good with a great warranty, and its cheaper than US made stuff, I'm all for it. I've spent the last hour looking into a homemade hammock. I actually made one way way back when I was like 15 with huge ropes all intertwined. It seems a manufactured one gives me the peace of mind so far.

Bulldawg
07-26-2008, 15:00
I went homemade for my first one for ease of cost. I did this just in case I wasn't sure I'd be OK in a hammock. I never have left my first homemade hammock.

SurferNerd
07-26-2008, 15:11
I went homemade for my first one for ease of cost. I did this just in case I wasn't sure I'd be OK in a hammock. I never have left my first homemade hammock.

What materials did you use, what was the weight?

Bulldawg
07-26-2008, 15:12
It's 1.9 nylon. I can't remember the weight right off. I would say somewhere in the 8 to 10 ounce range. Add the attaching hardware and I say we are up to around one pound.

taildragger
07-26-2008, 15:23

JRB is having a sale right now, so you can get some good-decent deals there. You might just make your own summer stuff. You could use synthetic for that (higher bulk but for a 40* its light).

Theres a guy on the BPL forum that will make quilts in the $120 range at your specification (Tim Marshall I believe was his name) with synthetic.

You could try to make your own down, I just think that it would be a pain to mess with 800 fill down.

As for quilts with baffles, I'd imagine those are somewhat tricky to make, you may want to look int that or just hit up the sale right now. I think with something like the nest and a no sniveler, you should be good for most temps. Maybe switch to a stealth or shenandoah for the spring and summer months.

SurferNerd
07-26-2008, 15:48
Well I'd love to hit a sale right now, but I'm gonna wait on it, and see how one works in action. I'm going to get a Hennessey over at Bass Pro Shops come November, and see whether its worth it or not. If I enjoy it, I'll bring in the options to make one or buy it.

SteveJ
07-26-2008, 21:23
Well I'd love to hit a sale right now, but I'm gonna wait on it, and see how one works in action. I'm going to get a Hennessey over at Bass Pro Shops come November, and see whether its worth it or not. If I enjoy it, I'll bring in the options to make one or buy it.

Before spending the big bucks on down underquilts, etc., try sleeping with a ccf pad in the hammock with you (about $12). It's a little bit of a pain to get settled (pad shifts as you get in), but once I'm in, I don't move, and never have problems. I'm good with just the pad and a 22 oz down quilt down to about 40 degrees. I've been in the low teens, with 40+mph winds, and been snug and cozy with a 3/8" 27" wide ccf pad on top of a TR Guidelite. I usually get the pad from Target because their pad is 27" wide (I think Wally World's is only 25").

http://www.whiteblaze.net/forum/vbg/showimage.php?i=9221&catid=newimages&cutoffdate=7

Steve

SurferNerd
07-26-2008, 21:35
Before spending the big bucks on down underquilts, etc., try sleeping with a ccf pad in the hammock with you (about $12). It's a little bit of a pain to get settled (pad shifts as you get in), but once I'm in, I don't move, and never have problems. I'm good with just the pad and a 22 oz down quilt down to about 40 degrees. I've been in the low teens, with 40+mph winds, and been snug and cozy with a 3/8" 27" wide ccf pad on top of a TR Guidelite. I usually get the pad from Target because their pad is 27" wide (I think Wally World's is only 25").

http://www.whiteblaze.net/forum/vbg/showimage.php?i=9221&catid=newimages&cutoffdate=7

Steve

Will do Steve, that sounds a much cheaper and lighter option to a quilt. I happened upon an absolutely stupid but workable idea this afternoon. My friend, a chef, has offered me his walk in frig to give me the 35ish degrees to test this idea, (for those concerned it has no open food, and its ventilated). I'd sleep in the frig tied between two shelfs. Even weirder, I think I'm going to try it. I'm trying to get in touch with Rain Man, I'd hate to have to buy one, test, and return it, so I'm looking for one to borrow for a night. But I will definitely try your idea.

sasquatch2014
07-27-2008, 09:38
I tend to do a great deal of my hiking in the off peak seasons when it is cooler and i don't have as many work requirements. When i was look into the hammock thing one of the issues I didn't like was the idea of having to pack an underquilt. I went with a Clark and with the pocket at they have under it in the NA version i never need a underquilt. I have hung in it down to 9* and been fine.

FanaticFringer
07-27-2008, 16:17
I tend to do a great deal of my hiking in the off peak seasons when it is cooler and i don't have as many work requirements. When i was look into the hammock thing one of the issues I didn't like was the idea of having to pack an underquilt. I went with a Clark and with the pocket at they have under it in the NA version i never need a underquilt. I have hung in it down to 9* and been fine.

Many, in fact most, folks use pads and not an underquilt. You have been down to 9 degrees with just stuffing the pockets in the Clark? From what I've read on hammock forums, that is very, very unusual if true. Most say the pockets allow cold air to escape thru them.I've hung in 10 degrees and I would have froze my tail off doing that.

SteveJ
07-27-2008, 17:43
Will do Steve, that sounds a much cheaper and lighter option to a quilt. I happened upon an absolutely stupid but workable idea this afternoon. My friend, a chef, has offered me his walk in frig to give me the 35ish degrees to test this idea, (for those concerned it has no open food, and its ventilated). I'd sleep in the frig tied between two shelfs. Even weirder, I think I'm going to try it. I'm trying to get in touch with Rain Man, I'd hate to have to buy one, test, and return it, so I'm looking for one to borrow for a night. But I will definitely try your idea.

Big frig sounds great - especially as hot as it's been today! Definitely a good place to try stuff out - you prolly won't have any wind, so be sure to factor in wind chill.....

SurferNerd
07-29-2008, 13:09
Big frig sounds great - especially as hot as it's been today! Definitely a good place to try stuff out - you prolly won't have any wind, so be sure to factor in wind chill.....

Hmm, portable fan....