PDA

View Full Version : Vermont

simon
07-26-2008, 08:20
Hi everyone, I have a week and i'm thinking Vermont. I've done the Whites and parts of Maine. Any suggestions for a week hike in Vermont? I like views and quiet.

Quoddy
07-26-2008, 08:45
Depending upon how much you want to push, or be more casual, I'd pick something in the range of 60 to 75 miles on the Long Trail. Lincoln Gap to Smuggler's notch for the minimum and continue on to Johnson to make it a longer section. Great hiking, mountains, and scenery... the best on the LT. North of Johnson and south of Lincoln Gap are OK, but aren't quite as good as the section I've mentioned.

Quoddy
07-26-2008, 08:46
Double post.

Lone Wolf
07-26-2008, 09:07
Hi everyone, I have a week and i'm thinking Vermont. I've done the Whites and parts of Maine. Any suggestions for a week hike in Vermont? I like views and quiet.

start at the northern border and head south

Kirby
07-26-2008, 09:31
If you want quietness, hike north of Maine junction, and hope you not are there in August.

I imagine Vermont can be a pleasant state, I just did not enjoy my experience there due to the weather.

Kirby

Kerosene
07-26-2008, 11:46
I second these suggestions: Hike NOBO from Maine Junction for a week, or hike SOBO from the Canadian Border.

rafe
07-26-2008, 11:47
I imagine Vermont can be a pleasant state, I just did not enjoy my experience there due to the weather.

Hot? Yeah, that happens.

oops56
07-26-2008, 12:03
I live here and its nice if you dont like the weather just wait a few hours it change good to bad or bad to good.:sun

Blissful
07-26-2008, 13:34
For me, I disliked CT because of weather and bugs. So to each his own.

We did have a few days of rain in VT, but other than that, we really enjoyed Vermont. I think hiking it a little later in the season when the mud has a chance to dry and the bugs are less helps as well. We hiked it in early August.

Kirby
07-27-2008, 18:11
Hot? Yeah, that happens.

Not the heat, the cruddy weather. It rained every single day I was there, including a hail storm with thunder and lightening as I entered the state.

Kirby

Yukon
07-28-2008, 08:51
Not the heat, the cruddy weather. It rained every single day I was there, including a hail storm with thunder and lightening as I entered the state.

Kirby

You can't blame the state of Vermont for the weather though man, give it another try!! Vermont is beautiful!! :)

Time To Fly 97
07-28-2008, 09:42
Vermont is awesome. I recommend Glastenbury, Killington and Stratton. All have fire towers you can check out (if you are lucky you may camp there and the sunrise above all those pines is unforgettable.) You can hike down a 1/4 mile down from Stratton and take the ski Gondola down to Stratton Village for a great breakfast. Glastenbury mountain has pristine water and a nice shelter. You can bailout or go for a beer run by hitching into Bennington. One mile off the trail in Killington is the Inn at Long Trail - Best Guinness in the East and a great Irish bar often with live music - weekends.

The climbs are pretty steep and the smell of the pines up there is unforgettable.

Happy hiking!

TTF

rafe
07-28-2008, 10:41
The climbs are pretty steep and the smell of the pines up there is unforgettable.

Hiking sobo on the ridge above Killington/Pico was a beautiful experience. I hit it in perfect weather in 2002. Easy trail, amazing pine scent... Cheated a bit, took the old Sherburne trail up from the Inn. ;)

Cookerhiker
07-28-2008, 11:37
start at the northern border and head south

I second this suggestion.

max patch
07-28-2008, 11:44
Vermont is great.

After my thru Vermont was the 2nd state I chose to rehike border to border.