PDA

View Full Version : My Gear List for 2009 NoBO, published for Critiquing

SurferNerd
07-26-2008, 14:23
Back again, here's my gear list so far. It's not cheap, and its not perfect. But its up for critiquing. I want to know what you think of the gear I've chosen. Is it necessary, is it worthy, can it be replaced with a lighter item? So far I'm down to 14.8lbs before stripping the stuff. Obviously once all excess is removed I can bring it down maybe 2 more lbs. And even tho I've already got my MSR Hubba, I'm looking into switching to hammock hanging to save weight and pack dimensions. Here's the list:

SnowPeak LiteMax Stove SnowPeak Titanium Cutlery SnowPeak Trek 700 MSR Dromlite 4 Liter MSR Dromlite Hydration Kit Gerber Infinity Flashlight REI Jungle Juice 100% DEET SPOT Personal Protection REI Ditty Bags Medium 5x10 Sea to Summit Pack Cover Large Sanitation Trowel Campsuds Liberty Mountain Toothbrush MSR Packtowel Small REI Stormproof Matches Vargo Titanium 6 Stakes Sigg Water Bottle 32ox FF Hummingbird 20* SleepBag MSR Hubba Tent Osprey Atmos 65 REI Trekking Poles SnowPeak Fuel Canon A590 Camera 16GB SDHC Card Counter Assualt Bear Spray Adventure Medical Kit Potable Aqua Tablets

REI OXT Tech Tee REI Merino Wool Socks REI Explorer Hat Marmot PreCip Rain Jacket REI UltraLight Rain Pants Casio Pathfinder Triple Sensor North Face Denali Gloves ExOfficio Boxer Briefs Shoes-Unknown

minnesotasmith
07-26-2008, 14:26
You'd get more responses if you'd put your gear items on separate lines. Weights by each wouldn't hurt, either.

SurferNerd
07-26-2008, 14:28
Oh geez, that didn't list well. Well, lets try it again. Oh ya, if your willing to open the spreadsheet, it has weights and costs.

SnowPeak LiteMax Stove
SnowPeak Titanium Cutlery
SnowPeak Trek 700
MSR Dromlite 4 Liter
MSR Dromlite Hydration Kit
Gerber Infinity Flashlight
REI Jungle Juice 100% DEET
SPOT Personal Protection
REI Ditty Bags Medium 5x10
Sea to Summit Pack Cover Large
Sanitation Trowel
Campsuds
Liberty Mountain Toothbrush
MSR Packtowel Small
REI Stormproof Matches
Vargo Titanium 6 Stakes
Sigg Water Bottle 32ox
FF Hummingbird 20* SleepBag
MSR Hubba Tent
Osprey Atmos 65
REI Trekking Poles
SnowPeak Fuel
Canon A590 Camera
16GB SDHC Card
Counter Assualt Bear Spray
Adventure Medical Kit
Potable Aqua Tablets
REI OXT Tech Tee
REI Merino Wool Socks
REI Explorer Hat
Marmot PreCip Rain Jacket
REI UltraLight Rain Pants
Casio Pathfinder Triple Sensor
North Face Denali Gloves
ExOfficio Boxer Briefs
Shoes

double d
07-26-2008, 14:54
Great list, you might not need the trowel, just dig a cathole away from water and the trail. Also, bear spray is something alot of folks don't carry on the AT, but thats up to you. And finally, don't forget food weight, otherwise, thanks for listing your gear.

minnesotasmith
07-26-2008, 14:56
1) 20 degree bag isn't warm enough if you're leaving pre-April.

2) Good call on the bear spray. (It won't be bears you need it for, though.)

3) Portable Aqua not as good as Aqua Mira IMO.

4) Wooden hiking staff better for defense, sturdier, and can be made desirably longer, so more useful for streams, ultrasteep downhills, boulder fields, etc.

5) Anything over 30% DEET IMO just makes it harder to put on, more expensive, and more likely to damage skin/clothes. Anyway, you likely won't need insect repellant for quite a ways, so don't start off with it.

6) Dump the trowel. You can always find a stick instead.

SurferNerd
07-26-2008, 15:07
Perfect information guys. I've considered dropping the trowel, so thats gone. Bear Spray as much as it weighs and tempting to say no, its better to have than forget, as minnesotasmith said, its not for bears I'd hope. Where can I find this Aqua Mira, a google search posts no replies outside of forums, no purchase places. I've hiked the AT in NC over 3 years and had my wooden staff for one of them. I found it truly useful, but unbelievably bulky, esp when I was not needing it and wanted to toss it. The light carbon trekking poles shrink and pack when not in use, and don't make me feel bad about a 5lbs+- stick on me. As for DEET, I've wondered what the effects of 100% would do, and that there answers it. It won't be with me until I need it, its going in the bouncebox thats following me.

Obviously theres a few minor changes, a BIC lighter, string, duct tape strips on the Siggs', salt and pepper packets from a restuarant.

SurferNerd
07-26-2008, 15:09
1) 20 degree bag isn't warm enough if you're leaving pre-April.

2) Good call on the bear spray. (It won't be bears you need it for, though.)

3) Portable Aqua not as good as Aqua Mira IMO.

4) Wooden hiking staff better for defense, sturdier, and can be made desirably longer, so more useful for streams, ultrasteep downhills, boulder fields, etc.

5) Anything over 30% DEET IMO just makes it harder to put on, more expensive, and more likely to damage skin/clothes. Anyway, you likely won't need insect repellant for quite a ways, so don't start off with it.

6) Dump the trowel. You can always find a stick instead.

On the bag, it weighs 11 ounces, its amazing. But what about bringing a fleece bag and double up until it gets warm, and then send the fleece home.

minnesotasmith
07-26-2008, 15:23
On the bag, it weighs 11 ounces, its amazing. But what about bringing a fleece bag and double up until it gets warm, and then send the fleece home.

Adding a liner that adds 10-15 degrees would make your bag setup work fine IMO. It's what I'm doing this next time. :D

sbennett
07-26-2008, 15:29
I use 100% deet during the summer but I don't spray it on my skin, just on my clothes and hat. I haven't seen any negative side effects from its use (i.e. my clothing is still in perfectly acceptable condition).

Also, as I mentioned before I hesitate to put it on my skin b/c people seem to indicate that that would be a bad move. However, I can't rationalize why they would sell the stuff if it were bad to put on your skin, when it's perfectly foreseeable for people to spray it on their skin. If it was dangerous, you'd think they wouldn't sell it.

minnesotasmith
07-26-2008, 15:37
I use 100% deet during the summer but I don't spray it on my skin, just on my clothes and hat. I haven't seen any negative side effects from its use (i.e. my clothing is still in perfectly acceptable condition).

Also, as I mentioned before I hesitate to put it on my skin b/c people seem to indicate that that would be a bad move. However, I can't rationalize why they would sell the stuff if it were bad to put on your skin, when it's perfectly foreseeable for people to spray it on their skin. If it was dangerous, you'd think they wouldn't sell it.

That would mean taking SPAM, Vienna sausage, bacon, soy products, full-fat milk/ice cream, chain saws, booze, tobacco, snowmobiles, motorcycles, herbal supplements, and a whole lot of other stuff off the market. Til that's done, I don't think you can count on "legal to sell = safe to use".

SurferNerd
07-26-2008, 15:43

Would using 100% DEET act like a repellent, or does it it just work on areas that its sprayed on. In other words, like a citronella candle, I have a 10ft bug free zone, does using 100% DEET over 30% give me a zone, or is it like regular bug spray that just prevents them from landing on covered areas.

Tilly
07-26-2008, 15:52
That would mean taking...
full-fat milk/ice cream..., and a whole lot of other stuff off the market. Til that's done, I don't think you can count on "legal to sell = safe to use".

Sorry, but full fat dairy isn't bad for you. Fat in itself isn't bad, unless you eat a ton of it and it leads to excess calories. That's all I eat in terms of dairy-full fat--and I am normal weight, and my cholesterol is perfect (high HDL, low LDL.)

Just my 2 cents...I hate low fat stuff.

taildragger
07-26-2008, 19:11
over 30% on deet and it makes no noticeable difference

items

maybe use an alchy stove, cheap, light, boils fast, easy to replace if you have a problem (just takes a hole punch and a tuna can), and easy to get fuel (heet)

maybe use lexan cutlery, much cheaper, mine has been with me a few years now

use gatorade bottles for water bottles. As mags says, they come with free gatorade!

ditch the trowel, its easier to dig a hole with a rock, especially if the soil's tuff

Cuffs has an atmos 65 for sale on this site right now http://www.whiteblaze.net/forum/showthread.php?t=38617
Might also look at cottage industry packs (my ULA feels like its not their, and its about 1/4 the weight of my gregory)

might want to use multiple SD cards, what if something happens to your one card?

I might leave the bear spray, then again, I've never had problems with other humans, I can be pretty scary, same goes for US black bears

I'd put together your own medical kit. You really don't need too much stuff, and IMHO, most of those medical kits that you can buy are heavy with a lot of items that you won't need, or quantities that can be replaced between resupplies.

As for looking for sales. Use http://www.spadout.com (http://www.spadout.com/) great site for finding lower prices

6 litres of water? Are you hiking in the desert (or in a drought bad enough that its the equivalent of the desert)?

Instead of a pack cover, use a trash compacter bag as a liner

I don't see a ground pad, are you using one? (I like the z-rest or the CCF one from x-mart, gossamer gears looks nice, good r value)

That should help some

Happy trails, I gotta go fly fish and get ready for tomorrows trip

SurferNerd
07-26-2008, 19:58
Hey Taildragger, here's my thoughts, a few good ideas from you.

DEET- so far the response is not required over 30%, so I'll switch my purchases, and just put it in my bounce box until I need it. Thanks for confirming its effectiveness.

Alcohol Stove- even tho its a much much cheaper option, I've come to be hurt by the constant worries of lighting, wind, heat, and usability. But I've heard so many good responses, and I've got beer drinking neighbor's. So tomorrow I'm gonna go get a can from them, cut it up and make one to test it. If it works, rock on.

Trowel - Ditched from my list already

Atmos 65- Talking to Cuffs as we speak, thanks for the forward.

SD cards- I'm taking two SD Cards, a 16GB and a 8GB and my bounce box has a 250GB portable storage device that uploads the pics automatically. I've had the drive for years so no cost there. If one card fills, I'll just open the bounce box, drain the card to the drive, and continue on. If one somehow breaks, one in a billion chance, I've still got one.

Bear Spray- Stiff iffy, but so far taking it. Unless you can think of a better bear protection, ie bear bell (do they work even tho extremely annoying)

Medical Kit- Oh for sure I'm designing my own. Tons of mole skin, bactroban, insect sting kit, band aids. I was just using that model as a base, since buying the parts seperately require a lot more initial bulk.

Cheaper- Well my reasoning behind REI, as much overpriced as they really are. I have a family member who works there. I get 20% off plus my 10% back for a dividend. If it wasn't for that, I'd be hounding cheaper places.

Water- Oh God No, not 6 liters all the time. Thats 6 liters maximum capacity. It's more like I'll have 3 at any given time and should there be a low water part of the trail, I can fill the DromLite to what I need. I have no intention to carry almost 10lbs of water.

Pack Cover- I honestly considered why on earth I'd pay $35 for a piece of waterproof fabric that covers my bag. But a garbage bag isn't that durable. You mentioned a compactor bag, is that more durable, thicker?

Ground Pad- None chosen yet, and I believe I'll need one if I choose to go through with a tent instead of hammock. I'll keep those models in mind.

Thanks for the advice!!

Blissful
07-26-2008, 21:08
I'm sorry but once you get to tick country of PA and NY and the mosquitos of CT and MA you will relish 100% DEET. I wore it every day. No problems. It's a must, IMO. Too many chances of diseases and other unpleasantries not to. And bring a head net. BTW - mosquitoes can come out in March. They were out when we hit 70 degrees. Don't forget sunscreen.

Aqua Mira can be purchased at Campmor online.

I'd leave the bear spray at home and trust to instincts.

3 liter bag is plenty, and a simple spring water or Coke bottle if you like to mix up some electrolyte drinks.

20 degree bag will work if you also bring a liner.

If starting in March, you're gonna need more clothing. Like a jacket.

If you know someone who can sew, you can pack a sil nylon pack cover cheap with material from Thru-hiker.com.

I liked my canister stove (MSR pocket rocket - used throughout the hike). Worked well, you can cook better with it, and to me, I thought the alcohol made food taste funny. Plus the burn holes from out of control alcohol stoves all over shelter floors and tables is unreal (making me think they are dangerous and glad the shetlers and tables didn't burn down)

SurferNerd
07-26-2008, 21:47
I'm sorry but once you get to tick country of PA and NY and the mosquitos of CT and MA you will relish 100% DEET. I wore it every day. No problems. It's a must, IMO. Too many chances of diseases and other unpleasantries not to. And bring a head net. BTW - mosquitoes can come out in March. They were out when we hit 70 degrees. Don't forget sunscreen.

Aqua Mira can be purchased at Campmor online.

I'd leave the bear spray at home and trust to instincts.

3 liter bag is plenty, and a simple spring water or Coke bottle if you like to mix up some electrolyte drinks.

20 degree bag will work if you also bring a liner.

If starting in March, you're gonna need more clothing. Like a jacket.

If you know someone who can sew, you can pack a sil nylon pack cover cheap with material from Thru-hiker.com.

I liked my canister stove (MSR pocket rocket - used throughout the hike). Worked well, you can cook better with it, and to me, I thought the alcohol made food taste funny. Plus the burn holes from out of control alcohol stoves all over shelter floors and tables is unreal (making me think they are dangerous and glad the shetlers and tables didn't burn down)

I'm a dumb-@$$, I searched Google for Aqua Mira IMO...not thinking in my opinion as it was written, hahaha.

I've decided on starting with a fleece liner to keep the extra warmth.

DEET..ahhh, I'm so confused I'm just gonna flip a coin.

Pack Cover, thanks for the tip, I'll see if my girl is up to the challenge.

Stove-bringing the LiteMax, considering its 1.8 ounces, and much less hassle than a 1 ounce alc stove...the weight here ain't worth the problems, but I'm still going to give it a try.

OMGosh, I can't believe I forgot sunscreen. You deserve a gold star today. That hopefully wouldn't have been forgotten come time to leave, but wow, it just passed my mind. I'll prob drop it into a travel bottle and put the rest into the bounce box.

jesse
07-26-2008, 21:59
I buy champion underwear from Target. I wait for it to go on sale, pay $3-4 per pair.

taildragger
07-27-2008, 10:09

Why not just use permanone (sp?) when you get there, put it in a bounce, tick proof clothing for ~2 weeks.

And were the ticks really that bad there? I lived in NY, hiked alot, hunted alot, never wore deet or permanone, never got a tick.

Mr HaHa
07-27-2008, 16:20
over 30% on deet and it makes no noticeable difference

items

maybe use an alchy stove, cheap, light, boils fast, easy to replace if you have a problem (just takes a hole punch and a tuna can), and easy to get fuel (heet)

maybe use lexan cutlery, much cheaper, mine has been with me a few years now

use gatorade bottles for water bottles. As mags says, they come with free gatorade!

ditch the trowel, its easier to dig a hole with a rock, especially if the soil's tuff

Cuffs has an atmos 65 for sale on this site right now http://www.whiteblaze.net/forum/showthread.php?t=38617
Might also look at cottage industry packs (my ULA feels like its not their, and its about 1/4 the weight of my gregory)

might want to use multiple SD cards, what if something happens to your one card?

I might leave the bear spray, then again, I've never had problems with other humans, I can be pretty scary, same goes for US black bears

I'd put together your own medical kit. You really don't need too much stuff, and IMHO, most of those medical kits that you can buy are heavy with a lot of items that you won't need, or quantities that can be replaced between resupplies.

As for looking for sales. Use http://www.spadout.com (http://www.spadout.com/) great site for finding lower prices

6 litres of water? Are you hiking in the desert (or in a drought bad enough that its the equivalent of the desert)?

Instead of a pack cover, use a trash compacter bag as a liner

I don't see a ground pad, are you using one? (I like the z-rest or the CCF one from x-mart, gossamer gears looks nice, good r value)

That should help some

Happy trails, I gotta go fly fish and get ready for tomorrows trip Taildragger, thanks for the heads up on Spadout.com I had not heard of them. I found a few things on there I have been looking for at much better prices!

Blissful
07-27-2008, 17:11
And were the ticks really that bad there? I lived in NY, hiked alot, hunted alot, never wore deet or permanone, never got a tick.

You got luckeee. My sister lives in the most deer tick infested county in NY - Dutchess County and has to go fully clothed head to foot with gloves if even standing in the yard for a length of time. The AT passes through that area also. There are signs about it everywhere.

BTW - I just got off a hike in SNP and had three deer ticks on me, one embedded. I was not happy. Monitoring it (along with nursing an ankle sprain. This was not my week).

Kirby
07-27-2008, 18:29
Boxer briefs will chafe you when the weather starts to get hot. Don't even bother with them.

Kirby

whitefoot_hp
07-27-2008, 19:27
too much stuff. reading that list made my back hurt.

Nearly Normal
07-27-2008, 20:27
Just try to start out under 30 lbs. Make the changes you need as you go. You will find out quick what you like, what to change, what to send home and what to bounce.
Concentrate on enjoying the hike and listening to your body about the miles, your feet and overall comfort.
Keep your feet, ass, and hands clean.
Take a multi-vitamin once a day.
Don't worry about anyone else's hike.
Hike your own hike at your own pace.
Be respectful to everyone you meet and try not to show your ass too much.
Go out of your way at hostels and hotels to leave things like you found them or cleaner. If they have rules, follow them no matter what the dumbass 2 bunks over does.
You are a representitive of the trail community, act like one.
Good luck!
Later in life you can,
"remember when you where young,
and shown like the sun":sun

whitefoot_hp
07-27-2008, 21:04
You are a representitive of the trail community, act like one.
Good luck!

group/ herdism is silly. one represents himself.

tucker0104
07-27-2008, 23:38
Might want to ditch the soap and just bring wipes. What about a bandana or sweat towel? What about mosquito netting for head? What about a hat instead of sunscreen? Are you just bringing one of everything on your clothes list? I have a fleece liner for my 20 bag and it works great. It is the sea to summit thermal liner.

buz
07-28-2008, 09:51
I think you will need as other posters mentioned, more warmer layers to start out with, both for around camp and in your bag if needed. You have no warm top layer, unless I missed something. Warm hat too is vital. Liner would be good, or warmer base layers. Think that is hole in start up kit, and can be sent home/exchanged later. Warmer is better than colder.

For me, a good headnet is never out of my pack.

Also, not picking on your weight list, but you don't count your clothes as weight, and the full rain suit is in that list. I bet you will not be hiking in that very often, lol, and it probably should be in the "carry" weight list, unless you are planning on a lot of rain.

Dancer
07-28-2008, 11:39
Don't forget a needle and thread/dental floss. Catching your clothes on rocks, limbs etc. will happen. Could also help mend boots, tent, pack or any number of things. Also wrap a few rounds of duct tape on your hiking pole. Duct tape can be a life saver. It comes in all colors now. Blaze orange has it's own advantages. Get 'your girl' to show you how to sew up a simple rip or put back on a button. Good luck.

The Solemates
07-28-2008, 12:16
Oh geez, that didn't list well. Well, lets try it again. Oh ya, if your willing to open the spreadsheet, it has weights and costs.

SnowPeak LiteMax Stove
SnowPeak Titanium Cutlery one single spoon is sufficient
SnowPeak Trek 700
MSR Dromlite 4 Liter this is rather large. 1L soda bottle is all that is needed.
MSR Dromlite Hydration Kitwhat is this?
Gerber Infinity Flashlightyou will prefer a headlamp on the trail
REI Jungle Juice 100% DEETnot needed
SPOT Personal Protectionwhat is this?
REI Ditty Bags Medium 5x10for food?
Sea to Summit Pack Cover Large
Sanitation Trowelnot needed
Campsudsnot needed
Liberty Mountain Toothbrush
MSR Packtowel Small
REI Stormproof Matches
Vargo Titanium 6 Stakes
Sigg Water Bottle 32oxnot needed
FF Hummingbird 20* SleepBagok only if you leave mid-march or after
MSR Hubba Tent
Osprey Atmos 65too large
REI Trekking Polesnot needed
SnowPeak Fuel
Canon A590 Camera
16GB SDHC Cardyou will probably want two of these, one to have while hiking, one to mail home so a loved one can get the photos off and send it back
Counter Assualt Bear Spraynot needed
Adventure Medical Kit
Potable Aqua Tablets
REI OXT Tech Tee
REI Merino Wool Socks
REI Explorer Hat
Marmot PreCip Rain Jacket
REI UltraLight Rain Pants
Casio Pathfinder Triple Sensor
North Face Denali Gloves
ExOfficio Boxer Briefs
Shoes
when are you leaving? this is not enough clothing...

what about books, maps, groundcloth, extra socks, food sack, extra headlamp/camera batteries, sleeping pad?

taildragger
07-28-2008, 15:52
You got luckeee. My sister lives in the most deer tick infested county in NY - Dutchess County and has to go fully clothed head to foot with gloves if even standing in the yard for a length of time. The AT passes through that area also. There are signs about it everywhere.

BTW - I just got off a hike in SNP and had three deer ticks on me, one embedded. I was not happy. Monitoring it (along with nursing an ankle sprain. This was not my week).

LOL, I lived in and hunted in Dutchess during that time frame. I did however have problems with fleas (got them on me in the backyard once and then they infested my room, not fun).

Maybe those yankee ticks don't like my rebel blood:banana

tucker0104
07-28-2008, 18:10
Is a groundcloth really needed? What does it accomplish?

whitefoot_hp
07-28-2008, 21:08
if you have a tent, it accomplishes more weight in your pack.

if you tarp, you have a floor.

Bare Bear
07-28-2008, 22:55
"Critiques" the perfect trail name for those without one...........

rafe
07-28-2008, 23:34

Huh? What 20 degree (F) bag weighs 11 oz.? Call me amazed and a bit skeptical.

minnesotasmith
07-29-2008, 09:14
Huh? What 20 degree (F) bag weighs 11 oz.? Call me amazed and a bit skeptical.

http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/en/f/f4/MiniMe_APTSWSM.jpg

;):D

hopefulhiker
07-29-2008, 09:46
Bear Bag and line?
Extra fuel cannister?
Ear Plugs?
Extra Socks?
Gold Bond Powder?

If you go with an insulated air mattress,(thermorest or Big Agnes or others) it can keep you warmer.

SurferNerd
07-29-2008, 13:00
Bear Bag and line?
Extra fuel cannister?
Ear Plugs?
Extra Socks?
Gold Bond Powder?

If you go with an insulated air mattress,(thermorest or Big Agnes or others) it can keep you warmer.

Bear bag not needed, hanging pack at night. Line is a small something I'm bringing, just forgot to list.

ear plugs, I was thinking about those the other day, how to sleep and not be worried of the scary sounds of the night

extra socks, bringing two pairs of ones I mentioned, just not listed

Gold Bond, its going in the home made medical kit.

SurferNerd
07-29-2008, 13:01
http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/en/f/f4/MiniMe_APTSWSM.jpg

;):D

Good grief, I made a mistake. It's 1lb 11 ounces...sorry, shoot me for it.

Nearly Normal
07-30-2008, 17:17
Around here it's usually, "shot at and missed, **** at and hit."
Ask for the time, get directions to build a watch.

Nearly Normal

hopefulhiker
07-30-2008, 21:32
It is the snoring of other hikers that will keep you awake...

Appalachian Tater
07-31-2008, 15:34
If you continuously bounce a 250 GB drive with all of your pics on it you are taking a huge chance of having it damaged or lost and losing all your pictures. As reliable as the post office is, it's like playing Russian roulette. Much better to upload them or mail the disks to someone to do it for you. That way each pic only has one chance of getting lost in the mail. Those cards are pretty cheap now anyway.

SurferNerd
07-31-2008, 17:56
If you continuously bounce a 250 GB drive with all of your pics on it you are taking a huge chance of having it damaged or lost and losing all your pictures. As reliable as the post office is, it's like playing Russian roulette. Much better to upload them or mail the disks to someone to do it for you. That way each pic only has one chance of getting lost in the mail. Those cards are pretty cheap now anyway.

I have this: http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B000VW2QPO
and its been dropped numerous times. I'm sure it'll be fine.

Appalachian Tater
07-31-2008, 20:54
I have this: http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B000VW2QPO
and its been dropped numerous times. I'm sure it'll be fine.It's more a matter of it getting lost. Bounce boxes (and drop boxes) have been lost and hikers have sent packages home that never showed up. The slight risk of one package getting lost is acceptable but if you keep mailing something you're taking unnecessary risks. It is okay if it is something replaceable but your photos are not.

How would you feel if the whole drive got lost in Maine after taking pictures all summer?

Besides, ALL hard drives eventually fail, the odds of that are absolutely 100%. Yours is old. It is foolish not to back it up since your data is irreplaceable.

Something else to consider is that many people who start out with a bounce box quickly realize that it is more trouble and expense than it is worth and stop using it pretty quickly. Unless you're on some sort of special diet or have other special needs it's probably not worth messing with.

simplespirit
08-01-2008, 19:02
Bear bag not needed, hanging pack at night.

Please elaborate. I'm reading that as you're going to follow bear bag procedures but use your pack in place of a seperate bag? Hope you have some strong cord.

SurferNerd
08-02-2008, 01:19
Please elaborate. I'm reading that as you're going to follow bear bag procedures but use your pack in place of a seperate bag? Hope you have some strong cord.

Ok, elaboration..I'm hanging one of my two waterproof sea to summit stuff sacks

SurferNerd
08-08-2008, 18:05
Ahh, my gear list just gets better and better. I've been invited to interview at REI next week, and if I get the job. WooHoo!! I couldn't think of a better place to work as a thru-hiker in planning.

Dazzy001
08-12-2008, 09:43
Blissful, you are right there, i use DEET 30% on my clothing and still had them on me when i stripped down after hiking there. Only advise i can give that worth a dam, is go fully clothed.

SurferNerd
09-09-2008, 21:02
Well, I've finished purchasing everything but shoes. I'll update everyone within a day of my weights and costs. I went for the lightest, and it was right around $1400, I'll let you all know.

thejackal
09-27-2008, 14:18
no update?

although my kit will end up looking very different than yours, i find this immensely helpful.

thanks.

gaga
09-27-2008, 20:06
http://www.thebackpacker.com/gear/water_filters/aqua_mira_aqua_mira.php
and reviews on all hiking, camping gear

WILLIAM HAYES
09-27-2008, 21:19
unless you are just into gadgets you want need the SPOT there will be plenty of hikers on the trail going NOBO also as others have suggested you want need the trowel just dig a cathole with you heel

True Karma
10-05-2008, 12:37
Did you update it yet? I am going light and cheap so it will be interesting to compare.

trouthunter
10-06-2008, 07:12
Hi SurferNerd,

On the subject of repellents, something I know a thing or two about.
For clothing:
I would pre-treat my clothes with Permanome as mentioned above. It is very simple, you just follow the directions, soak your clothing for the recommended time and your done. Do not treat your undies or base layer.

Once you have done this you have a semi permanent (lasts through several washes) and effective repellent against ticks, chiggers, mosquitos, flies, nats and other no see ums. You don't have to worry about constantly re-applying and such while on the trail.

For skin:
Do not put 100% DEET on your skin, it melts plastic for Petes sake.:eek:
!00% DEET is something you apply to clothing and allow to dry before wearing,
however the Permanome clothing treatment is superior to DEET.
Yeah I know, lot's of people put 100% DEET on their skin and swear by it, and have not died yet. That does not make it the smart or best course of action!
The best product currently on the market for skin application is Ultrathon, hands down. It is micro-encapsulated (time release) and you will get 10 - 12 hrs. per application. Works damn good! Much better than DEET alone.
Second to Ultrathon, is Sawyers, also time release, and also works much better than just DEET.
Both Ultrathon and Sawyers contain DEET and several other specialty repellents that work well together.;)

Also don't be fooled by cheap gimmicks like wristbands, electronic devices, and such.
Citronella candles, and mosquito coils have marginal effects in areas that have a low insect count, but will be no help in areas with heavy concentrations of insects.
Only the female mosquitos bite, and they fly at about 6-7 MPH, no see ums are even slower, so sometimes it helps to jog for a bit if you have a cloud of them about you. Black flies can reach speeds in excess of 80 MPH so good luck trying to outrun those. Maybe wack them with your hiking pole if you're also a Kung-fu master!:D
But that's what the Ultrathon is for.:sun
You will find that a lot of areas on the AT are not bad at all in terms of insects, and the colder it is the better of course.

Good luck on your trek, and God speed!

dessertrat
10-06-2008, 10:50
On the bear spray: MS has the right idea. It is not for bears. It is for dogs if necessary, and people, if necessary.

SurferNerd
10-07-2008, 17:57
Well sorry for the long time to get a list up here, dear God I've been busy with work, and saving money, and test hiking. Since I last trolled the forums, I've taken numerous overnight and weekend hikes and tests, several day hikes, much traveling across my state (never knew how many parks are in TN). It's been a long and crazy journey but here's whats going in my pack.

*$4000 in savings account, bringing debit card
TN Drivers License
Medical Insurance and Emergency Info Card
Apple iPhone (DONT JUDGE TIL I EXPLAIN WHY)
iPhone Wall Charger
Casio G-Shock Expedition Watch(compass, altimeter, barometer)
Canon A590 Digital Camera
2 16GB SDHC Photo Cards
Gerber Infinity Flashlight
Katadyn Hiker Pro Water Filter
2 32oz Sigg Bottles
50oz Camelbak Omega Bladder
REI Ti Spork
Snow Peak Trek 700 Mug
Snow Peak LiteMax Stove
REI Stormproof Matches
BIC Disposable Lighter
REI PackTowel Medium
CampSuds 4oz Nalgene
Liberty Mountain Finger Toothbrush
Vargo Titanium Tent Stakes
HS Tarptent Contrail
REI Sub Kilo Sleeping Bag
Sea to Summit Sleeping Bag Liner
ThermaRest Prolite 3
REI TuffLite Compression Sack
2 pairs FOTL Boxer Briefs
2 pairs REI Wool Socks
REI Sahara Pants
REI Tech Tee
Sierra Designs Waterproof Pants
REI Taku Waterproof Jacket
REi Sahara Outback Hat
UnderArmor Thermal Base Suit
Home Made Medical Kit
40% DEET Bug Spray
Travel Size Toothpaste and Deodorant
Coppertone Travel SunBlock
50ft of Orange Rope(Bear Bags, Repairs)
Strips of Duct Tape wrapped around Sigg Bottles
Gerber Paraframe 2 Knife
REI Carbon Fiber Trekking Poles
Waterproof Bible
Fisher Waterproof Pen
Waterproof Paper
Gregory Z55 backpack

During the hike I will have the following expendables:
At no time on the trail less than 3 AA Lithium Batteries
2 Snow Peak Fuel Cans 110gr
Mini Tabasco Sauce
Salt and Pepper Packs from Restuarants
One roll of TP BOUGHT from local store
One a Day Vitamins

I've decided on the following for water, I'm carrying a limit for 114 ounces of water which is 7.126lbs of water. At any given time I will carry no more than 64 ounces, 4lbs, unless there is a verified drought or lack of water ahead.

As for food, I've decided to purchase as I go, and buy protein full foods, and several carb friendly meal plans. I'm looking into pasta's, fruits, vegetables, salt dried meats, and lightweight ideas. I've brought into consideration no more than 2 lbs per day.

Regarding bug stuff, I have already soaked my clothing in a Permanome, and I'll do it again before I hit the trail, I didn't touch the stuff to my waterproofing gear though.

As for bear spray, I decided against it. I've got the best protection of all, God, and if He wishes something to happen upon my life, then so be it.

The iPhone, I know I know...too much, I look at it this way. When I get free wifi its my internet device for updating blogs and trolling whiteblaze, when I'm on the trail, its my phone in emergencies. It'll be off 80% of the time.

Shoes, still working on deciding, but I've done all my test hikes in Nike Air Zoom running shoes with no issues other than thin soles, so I'm still deciding for boots.

All this gear has been worn or tested at least once, I've thoroughly given every item a good rubdown, verified its use, its necessity, its importance, how it works, and its weight. I've brought myself to the lightest and most comfortable gear I feel will allow me to succeed in my hike next year. Now the numbers...

According to the scale at REI, minus water and food, my pack with ALL its contents weighs in at 17lbs 4ou. Including 4lbs of water, and a tester 5 days of mountainhouse food(just for guess, not paying $10 a meal), it weighs in at 25lbs 2ou.

As for costs, everything I purchased minus taxes, came to a total of $1248.67, add my tax of 9.25% on local purchased items, $1356.92.

Pre Guess Hiking Costs:

$85 Greyhound ticket to Georgia if my fiance' doesn't drive me
$110 Greyhound ticket from Maine " " " " "
$40 Taxi Ride from Greyhound Georgia to TrailHead

And there you have it....my updated lists, lol. Feel free to fire comments, suggestions, and flames...

Jack Tarlin
10-07-2008, 18:26
What a good list!

I missed the early parts of this thread; here are my comments on what you just posted:

*Consider Gatorade or 1-Liter soda bottles instead of the 2 Siggs. It'd be
lighter and the bottles would be cleaner as you'd periodically replace them.
*Forget the waterproof matches. Everything gets moist out there; when you
need 'em, they won't work.
*In all likelihood, you'll be carrying two or three bandannas, which have all
sorts of multiple purposes. So lose the towel.
*Instead of camp suds, bring hand sanitizer instead. You'll be healthier.
*Sorry. Put me down with the folks that say when you need DEET, you'll
want it strong. I've SEEN people use 23-30-% stuff in New England in July
and August, i.e. the buggiest part of your trip. I'm hear to tell you the
weaker stuff doesn't work.
*You will NOT be able to find REI replacement poles or pole parts on your
trip, so if anything goes wrong with your stix, you'll have to wait til they
send you new ones. Granted this'll be free, but you'll still have to wait til
the new parts arrive. If you can, I'd switch to Leki's. One, it's a better
stick, and two, you'll find parts and repair kits everywhere.
*Some add ons to your list: Bring a journal/diary. It'll also double as
address book, photo log for pictures, etc.
*Bring a book. You'll want something to read other than Trail Guides and
a Bible.
*Don't forget a Trail Guide and Maps. You'll want one of the major guidebooks
while on route and if you're smart, you'll carry the maps, too.
*Bring some extra Ziplocks, especially some large ones. Anytime you get mail
from home, have them include 2 or 3 big ones, you won't be sorry.
*I'd bring more spices than salt and pepper, but that's just me.
*Relying on the Lord is great, and no, you don't need bear spray. But in
case of the odd difficult bear, I carry firecrackers, they work like a charm.

*Re-Supplying en route is the way to go, but there are still a few places you
may want to get stuff sent from home. There's a full-length article on
Re-Supply on the Home Page of this website that may prove helpful; it also
will tell you approximately how much food to carry on each section and how long it'll likely take to hike each section.

Your present list looks great, I'm sure you'll do just fine. Oh, and if that photo in uniform is you, thank you VERY much for your service! I hope you have a wonderful trip, you've earned it.

Montana AT05
10-08-2008, 06:01
Hello. I see you are a Marine. Thank you!

I further assume you are from, or currently live in, California (Surferdude?)

If so, you cannot get Aqua Mira in California. You can find it easily along the AT. I used it along the AT and wouldn't use anything else.

Some comments on gear:

1. Gear is per the individual, any advice we give, is just that advice. People do this and other trails with the oddest assortment of stuff! Ultimaetly it's your mind that will move you.

2. Much of what I say has probably been said in the pages above, if so, sorry.

3. Water: Consider using gatorade type bottles. Light, cheap, replaceable, and on first use they are filled with, well, gatorade! Dromedary bags are good for camp and on a few stretches of trail, but they are heavy and leak. When I hike now, I use gatorade bottles and a 1 liter platypus w/tube.

4. Sleeping bag. A 20 degree bag is fine. Everyone sleeps differently, so mileage will vary. But you can wear extra clothes for extra warmth. Later on, switch it out for a 40 degree or so, you'll save weight and space, and the East Coast is damn hot and muggy...you'll look back on the cold nights fondly.

5. Bring a silk liner (try to get a square cut vs mummy). Liners add 5-10 degrees of warmth and keep your body sweat from infecting your bag. The wieght almost nothing. I slept in just my liner during the summer months on the AT.

6. The MSR Hubba tents are great. Free standing tents are a HUGE advantage on the AT where the ground is rocky and hard in many places. I wished I had one on many nights...until I got a Hennessy Hammock from Damascus VA onwards.

7. Per the above, consider a Hammock. HOWEVER, they sleep COLD. No ground to insulate yourself. So starting early, if you use a hammock, plan keeping it packed and sleeping in shelthers alot. Hammock open up a ton of camping terrain along the AT. Anywhere you find trees, you can hammock along the AT. I loved mine.

8. Stoves. Alcohol stoves are great. Cheap, light, plenty of fuel to be found along trail. However, depending on your eating habits, consider no stove at all. Energy bars, cereal, peanuts, etc. Ya, it might stink to have no hot dinner, but having no pot, pan, stove and fuel to worry about (not to mention carry) is nice. I went stoveless after 800 miles and never looked back.

9. No need for bear spray. If you are in a situation where you need it, it will be against a person (and that is rare!!!!). Just use your fists or a rock instead. Lord knows the AT isn't short on rocks.

10. Lights. One small headlamp or pinch light will do just fine.

11. Clothes. Plan on having one dry set of clothes at ALL times, especially early on when hypothermia is a real danger. The Eastern Mts are wet--and when it's cold out...look out! But clothing is where most hikers (myself included) tend to gain the most weight for little return. Eventually, when you reach summer, your clothing supply will be minimal. You'll be down to your extremly smelly-omg-I-actually-wore-that shirt for hiking, and your hey-this-smells-but-not-so-bad town shirt.

12. RainJackets. Wouldn't go without one early on--for the reason above. They are also very warm at night in your bag. So if it isnt wet, you can sleep in it if your bad doesn't suffice. Consider Frog Togs or Dry Ducks rain gear. Cheap, light and more breathable than the fanciest raingear from the fanciest stores.

13. No need for sunglasses or a hat. The AT is a tunnel.

14. Bandannas. Love 'em, always have two on me when I backpack.

15. Bug Spray. No need early on, just wait and buy it when you need it. DEET. Whether 30% or 100% DEET. Kill the damn bugs dead.

16. Trekking Poles. Again, personal choice. I couldn't have lived without mine on the AT. A few people did fine without them, a few people just used a stick. Nowadays my backpacking shelter tends to be a tarp, so I need the pole(s) anyways. But the AT is steep!!!! The poles were invaluable to me on downhills.

17. Food. Resupply along the way unless you have special diet needs. The opportunity to resupply along the AT is frequent.

18. Books, IPODS, etc. I am an avid reader, but I rarely read or needed to read along the trail. Books are heavy and bulky and I prefer lightweight packing. Plus, once I got the Thur-Hiker Guide (by Wingfoot back then) it's all I read anyways--constantly going over possible next-day destinations and such. When I got into camp I was usually too tired to read. Plus, along the AT, you can read the shelter journals. IPODS are great. Get a books on tape!

Hope this helped. Everyone has their own style. I found (after doing the opposite) that a lightweight pack with minimal but essential items makes for a much better hike. Less prone to injuries, higher miles if desired, faster miles if desired, or shorter more pleasant miles if desired as well. Anything is better than having a pack that makes you lean forward...

If you're still considering packs, I've recently used the GoLite Jam2. It was perfect for me. 22 oz, large capacity, can be cinched down for smaller loads, very durable, simple. Nice all around.

Enjoy your trip--it has a lot to offer. But along the way, you may realize it's a ton of work. And it is. I hated some days, but the AT has a lot to offer.

trailfoot
10-26-2008, 21:15
Surf Nerd, I'm not sure how you are in the cold, but I don't do well in the cold. I used a Mountain Hardware Phanton 15 for this years hike. I left on March 1st and was never cold in that bag. Couple times I slept with my long johns on. It was pricey but well worth every penny.
I was a fast hiker and by the time I got off the trail I was in the top 10 people on the trail according to the registry's on the trail. So I was in the cold weather for some time.

BarleyRain
10-28-2008, 12:41
Hey SurferNerd,

You look like you are in good shape.

If your packweight is 30lbs or under just bring everything, you'll toss
the stuff you don't need pretty soon.

I will comment on a few items so you'll know when to toss them if you do
bring them...

bug spray - There are no bugs this early. Buy the spray when they start to bother you. I didn't use
bugspray until Massachusetts.
hat - I loved my hat when hiking in the rain. You can always ditch it.
bandanna - Have 2. They are the new multitool.
lekis/stick - Leki's are the only brand that can be easily and quickly repaired on trail. I started with
off-brand poles and when they broke in VT I just went with a hiking stick at that point.
pencil - Your pen won't work at night when it is freezing.
hand sanitizer - keep it in the same ziploc with your TP.
multiple small sd cards - I had packages lost and have seen other hiker's flash cards die. I went with
5 small (1-2GB size) sd cards that I would mail home periodically and get back with care packages
along the way.
boxers - they are an extra layer that holds sweat and will make you colder and chafe. But, I did get a pair in the
summer months to sleep in when it was hot.
sunscreen - Bring it, use it 3 times like I did in Georgia, then get rid of it by NOC. Your skin will have
adapted to the winter sun, then the leaves come and you never need it again. I carried mine until Monson (doh!).

Have an awesome time!

-Barley

RedDogPatch
10-28-2008, 13:07
I'm a dumb-@$$, I searched Google for Aqua Mira IMO...not thinking in my opinion as it was written, hahaha. http://www.nitro-pak.com/product_info.php?cPath=40_72&products_id=57&gclid=CJrD6LmzypYCFQcCswodxyLLyA
See if this link helps..
On the stove, I'm making one out of Buds Blue Lite bottle..
For chilly nites, I'm packing some microfiber pants and shirts for layers..
Cheap from Wally for 9.88$ a shirt and, 11.88$ each for the pants. Black, White or Red colors.
Good Luck~
RedDogPatch

Panzer1
10-28-2008, 20:39
I would pre-treat my clothes with Permanome as mentioned above. It is very simple, you just follow the directions, soak your clothing for the recommended time and your done. Do not treat your undies or base layer.

What about in the summer when all your wearing is a tee shirt with out an long sleeve shirt. Would you treat your tee shirt?

Panzer

phillycheze
10-29-2008, 11:23
leuko tape, leuko tape, leuko tape.

gaga
10-29-2008, 16:21
old school baking soda,instead of tooth paste, antacid, anti odor...;)and for April fools you can fake a seizure whit it,or just take out the small zip lock bag whit it and cut a line and try to sniff it,of course when people are around and watching:D

SurferNerd
11-25-2008, 19:11
So I uploaded some pics of everything laid out. It's done, I OWN EVERYTHING. Now all I need is March 1st to hurry up.

I purchased Keen mid hiking boots, SOLE heat mold inserts. Patagonia 3 thermal underwear suite, thermal beanie, and gloves.

Jorel
11-25-2008, 19:52
I love my HUBBA, but decided I could not bear the weight. Went with the Six Moon Designs Wild Oasis. Carbon pole, and stakes, comes in at 18.3 oz compared with 63 for HUBBA. But, if you can carry it, I definitely would go with the HUBBA.

SurferNerd
11-25-2008, 20:19
I love my HUBBA, but decided I could not bear the weight. Went with the Six Moon Designs Wild Oasis. Carbon pole, and stakes, comes in at 18.3 oz compared with 63 for HUBBA. But, if you can carry it, I definitely would go with the HUBBA.

I traded my Hubba for a HS TarpTent Contrail a few months ago. My trekking poles are my tent poles, and I have titanium stakes. The whole shebang weighs in at 13.5ounces packed.

daddytwosticks
11-26-2008, 08:34
Ummm...you may want to check the weight of your Contrail again. Seems a little light! :)

John B
11-26-2008, 10:18
I agree with Solemates.

You will definitely want a headlamp rather than a flash light. Packing up in the morning or setting up past dark will require two hands.

I would definitely take ear plugs (available in any drug store) -- they're not to block scary sounds, but to mute people who snore like chainsaws; be sure that you have a set of dry clothes to change into at the end of the day; be sure that you can drink Portable Aqua for a period of days. On my first hike, I carried that stuff, too, but I quickly found out that I'm somewhat allergic to iodine (I learned later that a good percentage of people can't use it), so I switched to Aqua Mira. Drink a couple of liters of water treated with Portable Aqua over a period of days as a test.

I'd take a multivitamin everyday.

Oddjob
11-26-2008, 10:39

Seconded. This is good advice. Trail diets are often lacking in certain nutrients your body is otherwise used-to/dependent on to remain healthy.

SurferNerd
11-27-2008, 11:13
Ummm...you may want to check the weight of your Contrail again. Seems a little light! :)

It's not stock, I've modified a few bits of to bring it down to that weight. Obviously its not including the trekking poles.

SurferNerd
11-27-2008, 11:18
I agree with Solemates.

You will definitely want a headlamp rather than a flash light. Packing up in the morning or setting up past dark will require two hands.

I would definitely take ear plugs (available in any drug store) -- they're not to block scary sounds, but to mute people who snore like chainsaws; be sure that you have a set of dry clothes to change into at the end of the day; be sure that you can drink Portable Aqua for a period of days. On my first hike, I carried that stuff, too, but I quickly found out that I'm somewhat allergic to iodine (I learned later that a good percentage of people can't use it), so I switched to Aqua Mira. Drink a couple of liters of water treated with Portable Aqua over a period of days as a test.

Hey John, Thanks for the advice. My Gerber Infinity is lightweight and has a built in clip. I've used it several times by clipping it to my hats, and that's what I'll be using for the trail.

Somewhere in that pile is a pair of decent earplugs on a string in a box. Trust me, I made sure I had a pair. It's better to not know a bear's outside my tent, then to be freaking out and awake. There are two sets of clothes. my hiking set, and my sleeping set, the pile didn't show the specifics. I decided against pills and purchased a Katadyn Hiker Pro filter, its heavier, but more reliable and less hassle and taste issues.

In the pile, there's an empty nalgene mini-bottle. Before I hit the trail, its going to be filled with one a day's. I got this advice from several posts on here, so I got it ready to go.

daddytwosticks
11-27-2008, 12:03
SurferNed...just curious since I own a Contrail too. Did you cut the floor out to get that weight? Thanks for the info. :)

WILLIAM HAYES
11-27-2008, 15:48
go with a lightweight alcohol stove like a turbolite -ditch the trowel you don't need it look at another pack like a granite gear vapor trail ditch the sig use a gator aid bottle just my take after 10 years of learning how to go farther with less weight Hillbilly