PDA

View Full Version : Pot for MSR WhisperLite

Wake
07-26-2008, 15:11
What's a good pot for use with the MSR WhisperLite? I'd like something inside which I can pack my stove/windscreen/lighter/etc. when I toss it in my pack. I've been borrowing a friend's homemade pot which is just a smidgen too small to fit everything comfortably inside. What would you guys suggest? (Ease of use and reliability are more important to me than weight and price.)

Bob S
07-26-2008, 17:02
The Whisperlite has smooth pot supports; a pot with ridges on bottom (like my GSI cook set has) will keep the pot on the stand and your food in the pan.

Watching your food slide off the stove and dump on the ground is never fun, it always seems to happen in slow motion, but somehow faster then I can grab and stop it.

I would look at GSI stuff and part out a cook set and take only the part of it you feel you need.

Peaks
07-27-2008, 08:48
Like many things, take your whisperlite and other cooking gear to your local outfitter and try fitting them into different sized and shaped pots.

Myself, when I'm going solo, I pack a Pepsi stove, clean-up gear, cup, and other cooking things into a 1 1/2 quart pot. when I'm going with my wife, I pack the whisperlite, clean up gear, 2 bowls, and other cooking things into a 2 quart pot.

Seeker
07-27-2008, 09:08
if weight doesn't matter, look at the MSR Blacklite 2-pot set... it's got two pots, obviously, 2qt and 1.5? qt. the pots are non-stick and also have grooves in the bottoms. the Whisperlight should fit inside them. a lighter takes almost no room, and if you fold the windscreen right it will fit too.

sasquatch2014
07-27-2008, 09:24
I have the Simmerlite and use a Snow Peak pot which mine nests inside very well. I got the pot and fry pan together as it makes for a good lid for my pot and something to use as a plate as well.

Feral Bill
07-27-2008, 12:02
REI and others have cheap aluminum pots in 2 or 4 liter sizes. They are very light and have bails to carry water from the source to camp. As Peaks suggests, try the fit at your outfitter. 2 liters should be plenty big enough.

Wake
07-29-2008, 09:07
Thanks, all! I'll test some stuff out later this week.

Wise Old Owl
07-29-2008, 15:07
On the other hand you can make one out of a Heineken can and join the group with Sabar's bag cooking and avoid the cleanup. Pm Sabar.

sethd513
12-18-2016, 12:34
Bringing up an old thred. I usually use my msr 2l pot for my whisperlite to melt snow and cook in when my wife and I are out in the winter. Would my 900ml toaks pot warp if I used it with this stove? She won't be going with me on my upcoming trip and I could shave some serious weight. I don't want to ruin it though as it's my favorite two person summer set up

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

colorado_rob
12-18-2016, 12:41
Bringing up an old thred. I usually use my msr 2l pot for my whisperlite to melt snow and cook in when my wife and I are out in the winter. Would my 900ml toaks pot warp if I used it with this stove? She won't be going with me on my upcoming trip and I could shave some serious weight. I don't want to ruin it though as it's my favorite two person summer set up
No pot will warp as long as you never ever run it dry, always make sure there is water in it. If you're melting snow, make sure to "prime" the pot with a bit of water in the bottom. If you have zero liquid water available, just run it on low power with a bit of snow, until that snow melts, fill it with snow and go to town.

I'm not exaggerating to say I have probably somewhere near a thousand hours of snow melting under my belt using a whisperlite. No BS. On big expeditions, melting snow is 3-4 hours of work every day.

tour-kid
12-18-2016, 13:10
Be careful using cheap aluminum pots with the whisper lite stoves, I have had them melt.

colorado_rob
12-18-2016, 13:18
Be careful using cheap aluminum pots with the whisper lite stoves, I have had them melt.Thermodynamically and physically impossible, unless you let it run dry. Just don't let any pot run dry. I realize sometimes one forgets one has a pot boiling, and if it boils off, voila, aluminum will indeed melt. Titanium pots will warp, but generally still useable. I ran one dry once. Still works though.