PDA

View Full Version : Advice for Dam. to Springer in Nov/Dec....

Two Winds '97
07-26-2008, 17:36
What advice would you give for a Damascus to Springer SOBO from Nov. 23rd ish...to end of Dec.?

Water issues?
Hunting issues?
Weather too cold?
Any overcrowding issues?
Lack of services?

It's been a long time since I've been out east and am thinking of a trip at that time frame, and was wondering what issues I might run into...Thanks for any advice

Tennessee Viking
07-26-2008, 23:11
September-October is the usual SOBO thru hiker season. I never have never seen shelters more than half full so you will probably won't see anyone except winter sectioners.

Water should be ok. This is year is a bit warm but nothing like last years drought. Right now, we are sitting under 5 inches off avg. rainfall.

The higher elevations will probably see some light snowfall during this time. But usually it will be freezing rain and slick roads that will be more of a problem. I was up in the Smokies the first week in December last year and it was just icy roads. Very little snow fall, which usually melted way by the afternoon.

Pack for cool weather. You may not need any winter gear for the majority of it.

bigcranky
07-27-2008, 12:26
November on the AT in the South is *terrific.* My favorite time to hike.

Water: it can be dry, so ask locals and other hikers, etc.

Hunting: wear orange. wear orange. wear orange. Seriously. I have a blaze orange sil nylon pack cover I picked up somewhere, and an orange vest.

Weather: Perfect. Usually fairly dry, it'll start around freezing at night and highs in the 50s during the day. Later in the month it'll get colder, sometimes with a severe cold snap, so I usually carry my winter bag for anything longer than a weekend hike (when I can be more sure of the weather forecast.) By mid-December the days are very short and the nights get cold.

Overcrowding: hah hah hah hah hah. There's almost nobody on the trail, seriously.

Services: Well, there won't be any big hiker feeds, or organized trail magic, and some hostels might be closed, but the trail towns are still open. Hitching shouldn't be much problem, either.

Have fun. Great time to hike.