PDA

View Full Version : Advice needed please

Two Winds '97
07-26-2008, 17:40
I want to hike from Damascus to Springer from Nov. 23rd ish to the end of Dec...

What issues do I face?

Lack of water?
Lack of services?
Hunting issues?
ect....

It's been a long time since I've been back east...what advice do you have?

Thanks...TW

Two Winds '97
07-26-2008, 17:47
PS...I'll be carrying a canister stove.

Knocky
07-26-2008, 18:09
I want to hike from Damascus to Springer from Nov. 23rd ish to the end of Dec...

What issues do I face?

Lack of water?
Lack of services?
Hunting issues?
ect....

Thanks...TW

I don't believe you will face an issue with water availability. How much you carry with you, and the means you have with you to filter will really determine that.
Services? What services are you needing?
Hunting season needs to be taken into consideration, but frankly, most of the guys I know that hunt around there are after deer, not hikers :D
Just don't strap on a set of antlers or wear a white tail.

Lone Wolf
07-26-2008, 18:18

What issues do I face?

Lack of water?
Lack of services?
Hunting issues?
ect....

Thanks...TW

water should be fine,there are plenty of services, and wear some blaze orange. be prepared for cold weather

Bearpaw
07-26-2008, 18:21
Lack of water? Depends, but that late in the year, it's not terribly likely.
Lack of services? Hostels that are commonly open in town may not be open, but Erwin, Hot Springs, Standing Bear, NOC, and Mountain Crossings will still offer decent options. Just be ready for a hotel stay instead of a hostel.
Hunting issues? Get a blaze orange pack cover and maybe an orange windbreaker or hat. They'll help.
ect....
Expect cold. This may be the south, but you're at elevation and snow is very likely. The cannister stove may be pretty low in pressure due to the cold. This time of year, I suck up the weight and carry the much more reliable Whisperlite.

Consider some lightweight traction device if you have snow and the trail turns to a sheet of ice. Yaktrax Pros are decent with better durability than regular Yaktrax and only weigh about 4 ounces. There are also lightweight instep crampons.

Just a few thoughts offered in orange above.

OregonHiker
07-26-2008, 18:28
Just a few thoughts offered in orange above.

Oh man.....orange is tough on the eyes

Bearpaw
07-26-2008, 18:29
Oh man.....orange is tough on the eyes

Not in Tennessee! :D Besides, against the grey background of the quote box, it stands out pretty well.

Two Winds '97
07-26-2008, 19:50
I was thinking of just bringing my tarp and sticking to shelters. Would I have to deal with crowding? Also, I do NOT plan on any drops, unless a place won't have food, ect...Should I have a few drops at say Fontana Dam or NOC? ect....

Blissful
07-26-2008, 20:52
Also, I do NOT plan on any drops, unless a place won't have food, ect...Should I have a few drops at say Fontana Dam or NOC? ect....

Maybe before you enter the Smokies at Standing Bear Farm - though you can resupply with Curtis. Depends on what you like to eat.

If you stay at the Hike Inn at Fontana, they will shuttle you to Robbinsville for supplies. But hiker services need to be checked at that time of year to see what's available. Then it depends how far you hike if you need a drop at NOC or can wait until Franklin to resupply.

You'll be cold in a tarp. I'd bring a tent for that time of year. Never rely on shelters. Always have back-up shelter.

MudDuck
07-26-2008, 21:49
I was thinking of just bringing my tarp and sticking to shelters. Would I have to deal with crowding? Also, I do NOT plan on any drops, unless a place won't have food, ect...Should I have a few drops at say Fontana Dam or NOC? ect....

Just taking a tarp is putting your life in danger, IMO that time of year. You'll want a fully enclosed tent for sure with full rain fly. I would make sure it was a free standing and big enough to wait out storms a day or two if needed. You can go from 1200ft to 6k give or take within just a few miles in places. That dramatic change lets these mountains create their own weather. Usually without warning or for-casted and for the worse, Expect ice storms with tree's coming down on you very possible even likely. Bring maps and compass and know how to use them. A blind man could walk that trail in the spring summer but with leaves and snow on it it can be tricky sometimes. The weather will be your biggest obstacle. Don't let this little southern section fool you weather wise that time of year. The biggest mistake a lot of NOBO thru hikers make every year is starting too early not thinking the weather can be "that cold" or "that bad" down here in March or April. It can...That would be a nice winter hike but it wont be easy thats for sure. Kudo's

fiddlehead
07-26-2008, 22:46
Sounds like a great time to hike to me.
My only concern might be whether the store at Fontana is open that time of year.
I don't know about some of the hostels either.
The trail will most likely be fine.

When i hike in deer seaon, i wear and orange hat, and plastic streamers on the front and back of my pack. Never felt threatened.