PDA

View Full Version : North GA Mountain cabin vacation spots

Tennessee Viking
07-27-2008, 01:32
My family is looking at doing a fall vacation somewhere in North Georgia. We are mainly looking for a nice mountain cabin with modern ammenities for my city folk brother. We already did Blue Ridge/McKaysville/Springer Mtn. One suggestion was around Tallulah Gorge State Park area. Then I am looking to jump on the AT somewhere. Maybe Dicks Creek Gap or something with waterfalls or open mtn tops that I can get in a day hike.

How far is the Tallulah Gorge to the AT? Any good weekend cabin suggestions in between the AT and Tallulah Gorge. Any worthwhile spots to visit on that section?

mister krabs
07-27-2008, 11:57
Lake winfield scott. between jarred gap and slaughter creek. http://www.fs.fed.us/conf/rec/ws-cabin-rental.htm

orangebug
07-27-2008, 13:44
Goose Creek Cabins and Vogel State Park come to mind immediately. Tullulah Gorge is pretty far south of Clayton, GA, which is a good 30 minutes from Dicks Creek Gap. Other thoughts would be to look at Helen, GA and Unicoi Gap. Helen is very much a touristy place and will be able to provide what you need.

mister krabs
07-27-2008, 15:33
Helen is very much a touristy place and will be able to provide what you need.

If you can stomach it.

http://i.pbase.com/v3/26/574826/1/46935127.EPV0110.jpg

Bulldawg
07-27-2008, 17:16
Goose Creek Cabins and Vogel State Park come to mind immediately. Tullulah Gorge is pretty far south of Clayton, GA, which is a good 30 minutes from Dicks Creek Gap. Other thoughts would be to look at Helen, GA and Unicoi Gap. Helen is very much a touristy place and will be able to provide what you need.

Tallulah Gorge is probably 20 minutes from Dicks Creek Gap. Clayton is I think 12 miles from Tallulah with Dicks Creek maybe 10-12 miles from Clayton. If I were going to look for a cabin with modern amenities, I would do Helen. Helen is pretty central to an awful lot of the AT in North Georgia. Helen is extremely touristy, but I happen to like it. Growing up and spending my entire adult life 15 minutes form Helen is part of that I guess. Tubing the river is a fun family adventure. Then there is Unicoi Gap-10 minutes form Helen. Hogpen Gap-15 minutes from Helen. Neel Gap-25 minutes from Helen. Dicks Creek Gap-30 minutes from Helen. PLus there are TONS of cabins with VERY MODERN facilities in the Helen area.

whitefoot_hp
07-27-2008, 19:24
Telula is about thirty miles from dicks creek gap. you are also only like 40 minutes from franklin, NC. there are great cabin rentals in the clayton area.

helen is also a good choice, which puts you near alot of stuff. as bulldawg said, it is touristy but i have a neutral opinion on the place.

FatMan
07-27-2008, 20:09
Suches is a great place to vacation for those who love the outdoors. We have lots of nice cabins for rent and you are minutes from great hiking, fishing, canoeing, camping, biking, cycling and more.

http://www.suchescabinrentals.com/

Hammock Hanger
07-27-2008, 20:24
Just up the road from Helen is a place called Mountain Madness. Sounds crazy but it is really just a few cute cabins with porches and fireplaces. Some have jacuzzi's and there are a few you can only reserve if you have a four wheel drive vehicle.

There are the Blood Mt Cabins just up the road from... Blood Mt.

gearfreak
07-27-2008, 21:11
I would look around Hiawassee. It puts you about 30 minutes from Tallulah and the AT runs right through it. Plenty of nice places to rent, restaurants, Lake Chatuge and the Georgia Mountain Fall Festival. :cool:

Bulldawg
07-27-2008, 22:11
I would look around Hiawassee. It puts you about 30 minutes from Tallulah and the AT runs right through it. Plenty of nice places to rent, restaurants, Lake Chatuge and the Georgia Mountain Fall Festival. :cool:

The AT does not EXACTLY run through it. The AT passes about 9 miles east of town. If Helen proves to be to touristy for ya, then try some of the new cabins on the Hiawassee river about 2 or 3 miles south of Hiawassee proper. There are about 40 new cabins on the river (more or less) just south of town on GA 17. These cabins are only about 6 or 7 miles north of Unicoi Gap. They are probably 10 miles from Dicks Creek Gap. Then maybe 10 miles from Hogpen Gap. 20 miles from Neel Gap. Then there is also Hiawassee which is a fairly modern town with all the amneties your brother would be looking for. Really nice golf course (which Helen has as well, Innsbruck at Helen is a fabulous course IMO). Lots of nice resturants (check out the Mexican resturant in town Monte Alban, very nice). Lake Chatuge, etc.

bloodmountainman
07-28-2008, 06:31
I have two friends who own rental cabins just outside of Blairsville, GA.
Call for rates and details. Both locations are within a few minutes drive to the AT.
Tom and Candy Baker... Kilin Tyme Cabins..... 840 Kittie Lane, Blairsville Ga. 30512 phone 706-745-1900

Dale Williams.... cabin located off Richard Russell Scenic Hwy. 348
phone....706-892-8209

Doughnut
07-28-2008, 06:36
http://www.georgiamountaincabins.com/index.htm

This may help, I have used a few in the past, though the PM I sent sounds like what you are looking for,

http://georgiatrails.com/waterfalls.html (waterfall link)

DoughNut

Bare Bear
07-30-2008, 19:28
I've stayed at Blood Mountain Cabins several times and alwasy found it pleasant. You are 100 yards from the AT. They have fireplaces, porches overlooking the forest. About 1/4 mile down from Neels Gap.

galaleemc
07-30-2008, 19:41
Stay in a vacation rental home/Hiker Hostel during the great northern migration each spring.........Cloud9 706 896 8959 $75 per night - You cannot beat that! 1.5 miles from Dick's Creek Gap. 30 Miles from Tallulah Gorge.