PDA

View Full Version : Southbound

stickat04
03-01-2004, 12:41
I had to change my Northbound into a Southbound. So I have a few questions. I will be starting the 1st week in July. Cold weather gear still stay the same as sending it home after Vermont and getting it before the SMokies?
As for starting at Baxter do I have to make a reservation for my 1st night? since I read somewhere southbounders arent concidered thru hikers yet they cant stay in the shelters. 8 days worth of food to get to Monson?
And also any good southbound journals to read?
Thanks in advance
Stick

statler
03-01-2004, 15:02
Yep, southbounders aren't allowed to stay in the Birches Campsites. You can stay in one of the towns and arrange for a *very* early shuttle into the park. Note that Baxter has a limit on the number of people who can enter the park per day, so expect to get in line before the park opens at 6 am.

You can also make camping reservations at Baxter (2 night minimum), preferably at Katahdin Stream Site, though it may already be too late in the year. You could always wing it, showing up early in the day and hoping for a site, but in July you might not get lucky. Note that inclement weather will shut the Katahdin trail down, so plan on a few days in the area as a back-up.

Link for Baxter reservations:
http://www.baxterstateparkauthority.com/camping/index.html

A SOBO journal on GORP (requires registration)
http://gorp.away.com/gorp/activity/hiking/thruhike/nina/ninab_archive.htm

You can also visit the few Southbound journals listed under "Completed thru-hikes" on trailjournals.com. I don't have a favorite here, and there's few enough to read.

You can find a lot more information by doing an archive search here at whiteblaze, on at-l archives, and any of the other hiker's forums.

Blue Jay
03-01-2004, 15:31
If you don't take a shower for a few days and walk in from Abol Bridge, no one is going to know that you didn't walk all the way from New Jersey. Stay at the Birches and hike your own hike.

Peaks
03-01-2004, 17:50
You are correct about the Birches being for northbound hikers only. So, good advice is to catch an early morning shuttle into Katahdin Stream.

I'd suggest that you hang onto cold weather gear until after Glencliff. Probably no need in July/August to carry them through Vermont.

You might want to get the gear back before the Smokies. I suggest having the cold weather gear again before Mt. Rodgers. You will probably wish you had the gear in October sometime.

TJ aka Teej
03-02-2004, 00:21
You can also make camping reservations at Baxter (2 night minimum), You can make a reservation for just one night. But I recommend that MEGAs should stay the night before and after their climb of Katahdin.
Logistics for a MEGA's start are problematic, the bus arrives late in the day many miles from the trailhead, reservations can be iffy, Katahdin is a pretty tough first day's hike, and you'll start the trail with the heaviest pack weight of your entire trip.
Try Snail's '03 sobo on TrailJournals. I met her twice in Maine, a strong hiker with a great attitude.

Grimace
03-02-2004, 09:55
SOBO'd in 01 leaving June 12th. It was mid week and miserable out. We hiked up Big K and down. We slackpacked because we wntup and down the AT. I don't remember the 10 mile round trip hike to be that difficult though I was in pretty good shape. I'm sure it can be a bear to the inexperienced. Anywho, there were a number of openings at Katahdin Stream Campground because of the weather so we just stayed there.

I believe SOBOers have the option of staying in Daicy Pond overflow sites. It's just another 2 miles beyond Katahdin Stream. Did Baxter change that policy?

There is only one road that goes in and out of Baxter. I'm sure you could hitch in early in the morning. We had my brother in law day hike Katahdin with us so he was our shuttle.

Just some thoughts...

Grimace
03-02-2004, 10:01
I'd play it safe and bringyour cold weather gear with you. You'll most likely have warm days but it got below freezing on Saddleback and the Bigelows as we hiked through. We had some cold days in the Whites as well. We sent home our stuff in Hanover including fleeces and sleeping bags. We got the stuff back in Harpers Ferry towards the beginning of Sept.

TJ aka Teej
03-02-2004, 11:24
SOBO'd in 01 leaving June 12th. It was mid week and miserable out. We hiked up Big K and down. We slackpacked because we wntup and down the AT. I don't remember the 10 mile round trip hike to be that difficult though I was in pretty good shape. I'm sure it can be a bear to the inexperienced. Anywho, there were a number of openings at Katahdin Stream Campground because of the weather so we just stayed there.

I believe SOBOers have the option of staying in Daicy Pond overflow sites. It's just another 2 miles beyond Katahdin Stream. Did Baxter change that policy?

The thing about openings during the summer at KSC is that they are usually sites that have been reserved, but the folks don't show up. You can talk with the Ranger and late in the day he might let you have one of those spots. Or you can check at HQ in Millinocket when you get there and see if you've lucked into an opening. I suggest planning ahead.
No lean-tos at Daicey Pond anymore, they were removed and reinstalled at another campground. There are two overflow lean-tos at KSC (where late finishing '04 GAMErs had to stay while the paint dried at the Birches), but don't count on staying at them as they are often used by trail crews and campers with messed up reservations.

3oz
03-08-2004, 01:28
Last year I went to Baxter without a reservation, and the ranger told me to stay at the birches. It ended up being just me and two other SOBO hikers just starting. There probably won't be a lot of NOBO's there in the beginning of July. There are two shelters.