PDA

View Full Version : Trekking Poles

Ickuss
07-27-2008, 12:51
I am getting ready to do an 8 day section hike thru the Smokies on Sept 5th with 2 of my hiking friends. I am debating if I should retire my old wooden hiking staff for 2 Komperdell Trekking poles I can get from Sierra Trading Post. I am 51 work out often and my knees are in fairly good shape but I am wondering if I should go with 2 poles instead of the one staff to save on wear and tear. What do you think?

Christus Cowboy
07-27-2008, 13:16
I have used two Komperdell poles for the last few years and I really like them....they are light, adjustable, and take a beating.... I'm 45 yrs. old and have found their use to be quite helpful especially when bearing heavier loads and I cannot count the times that they save me a twisted ankle on the trail.

Flush2wice
07-27-2008, 13:28
Try it without any poles or staff at all. You'll find it a lot easier to hike without tripping over them. Use your arms for balance, not for extra legs. Spend the $200 on something more useful.

Phreak
07-27-2008, 13:31
I hike with and without trekking poles, depending on the mileage and terrain. I'd say try 'em on your hike, if you don't like 'em, simply strap 'em to your pack.

Flush2wice
07-27-2008, 13:35
Or save your $ and try without 'em. If you don't like it, buy some for your next hike.

rafe
07-27-2008, 14:00
Buy a cheap pair and give 'em a try. I'm still using the generic Lekis that I bought six or seven years ago for around $50 at Campmor. My first and only pair.

sbennett
07-27-2008, 14:02
I'd go with trekking poles as well but I think you should try a hike without them just to see if you're worried about the cost. Whatever you do, don't go for your 8 day hike without making up your mind before hand. It would really suck if you decided to go on that hike trying to go without trekking poles and then realize you wish you had them midway through.

Flush2wice
07-27-2008, 14:25
Hiking without poles isn't like hiking without shoes. It's more like hiking without an IPod.

Lone Wolf
07-27-2008, 14:28
I am getting ready to do an 8 day section hike thru the Smokies on Sept 5th with 2 of my hiking friends. I am debating if I should retire my old wooden hiking staff for 2 Komperdell Trekking poles I can get from Sierra Trading Post. I am 51 work out often and my knees are in fairly good shape but I am wondering if I should go with 2 poles instead of the one staff to save on wear and tear. What do you think?

stick with your old staff. if it ain't broke, don't fix it

Phreak
07-27-2008, 14:30
Hiking without poles isn't like hiking without shoes. It's more like hiking without an IPod.
We get your point, you don't like trekking poles.

scope
07-27-2008, 14:43

That's a bit of a stretch, huh? Comparing gear to a personal item. Agreed, poles are a gear choice, not a necessity, but plenty of folks swear by them. I find my hands swell over time if I let them hang. I have thumb loops on my pack which is useful for when I want to hike level stretches where poles are really unnecessary. But going up and down with something, staff or poles, is a big help to me.

Personally, since poles are usually lighter, and you can shorten them to easily attach to your pack if you don't need them, they seem the best route. I have cheap Walmart poles which do just fine, and I wrap tennis racket grip around the handle to absorb sweat.

mister krabs
07-27-2008, 15:37
before you spend a bunch of money on poles, try the walmart swissgear set. I think they were 14 dollars, have shock absorbers and are extendable. When you decide you like them, then get the nice ones.

FritztheCat
07-27-2008, 15:55
Yep. I just bought a set of two SwissGear trekking poles from Walmart. I like having the poles for a couple of reasons. One, I like to have them with me as a lot of trails in my area have snakes that like to sun on them. I find that tapping the poles on the ground usually makes the snake find a sunning spot elsewhere. I've only had to gently nudge a snake with one of the poles once.

Two, I find that after a while, my arms get sore while hiking. I don't really understand why but when I find this happening, I'll whip out the trekking poles and use them. This helps!

Three, I like having them when an unleashed dog comes running up. I put them together in an "X" in front of my body to form a barrier between myself and the canine. I personally don't care for dogs at all, especially unleashed dogs in state parks where they are supposed to be leashed (never happens).

And lastly, if I don't want to use them, I collapse them and stick them in my pack. They don't weigh much and certainly don't take up much room.

However, I have yet to take them on the AT so my experience is limited to state parks around my area, but I imagine I'll take them with me when I do go.

rafe
07-27-2008, 15:59
However, I have yet to take them on the AT so my experience is limited to state parks around my area, but I imagine I'll take them with me when I do go.

There are two situations where I find poles not useful:

on flat, smooth ground, eg. road walks, or stretches like the C&O canal
on extremely steep climbs or descents, where I might want to use my hands.

For everything in between, I use the poles.

Blissful
07-27-2008, 16:47
I had my Komperdell poles (two section) for four years until they bit the dust in NH and then I went to Leki. Still have my Komperdells in memory. :) My hubby uses the campmor poles made by Leki and does fine with them
Poles are great for your knees. They kept mine intact throughout the hike last year. And helped me avoid ankle turns many times.
But like Terrapin said, there are times you can and should put them on your pack.

Flush2wice
07-27-2008, 16:54
Or you could take a lucky rabbit's foot. I can't tell you how many times mine kept me from falling after I tripped.

Summit
07-27-2008, 21:51
After 34 years of hiking without a staff or anything, and now almost a year of hiking with Komperdells, I'm asking myself, "why did you wait so long?" I love them. At 58, I'm blowing up ascents like when I was 25, and they absolutely rock doing steep descents . . . no quivering legs.

In April, when I finished the 76 mile Foothills Trail, doing the long steep descent into Table Rock State Park, jumping in my car and driving 5 hours back home, normally my legs would stiffen up and be sore as all get out for a couple of days after getting back home. Didn't happen AT ALL with the use of poles.

Also, I was pleased with the 'toning' that the use of trekking poles did with my upper body - chest, shoulders, and arms, so much so that I have continued to do 3-mile walks every evening with them back here at home. They put your upper body to work to help your lower body do the work of hiking up and down mountains.

If you want to take Flush2wice's advice and forgo all these benefits, then listen to him. He probably has never tried them.

highway
07-27-2008, 22:05
I am beginning to develop problems with my knees but only on downhill, it would appear. well, that is when the pain appeared and I have been wondering if using two poles instead of my single staff would help. Then, there are poles with an anti-shock feature option, cork handle or foam is another choice...

So does anyone know if two poles help alleviate the pain of throbbing knees while hiking and going downhill?

Ickuss
07-27-2008, 22:18
Thanks to all of you for the positives on Trekking poles. I have ordered the Komperdells. Whats 51.00 when it comes to healthy joints and trail safety.

Summit
07-27-2008, 22:28
I am beginning to develop problems with my knees but only on downhill, it would appear. well, that is when the pain appeared and I have been wondering if using two poles instead of my single staff would help. Then, there are poles with an anti-shock feature option, cork handle or foam is another choice...

So does anyone know if two poles help alleviate the pain of throbbing knees while hiking and going downhill?They should most definitely help your knees on downhills. Personally, I avoided the anti-shock for three reasons: 1) one more thing to worry about breaking (the shock part), 2) many report they develop a squeak, 3) I want my poles to exhibit a firm plant for balance, not a squishy one! Cork, foam, rubber handles? Try them out at the store. They all have their pluses and minuses. Rubber will last longer, cork is best against sweat, and foam is the most comfortable. My REI Summits (made by Komperdell) have rubber grips, and they work for me (plus they display my trail name!).

I also reverted to aluminum poles after having a pair of carbon ones break on me on my first hike. The carbon ones were a few ounces lighter, but did not feel sturdy at all, and obviously, since one snapped on my first stumble, I returned them and got the much cheaper aluminum REI Summit poles and have been extremely pleased with them. They feel and ARE super sturdy.

Added: Some manufacturers make a hybrid cork-rubber handle that combines long lasting with handling sweat and temperatures better than plain rubber.

jzakhar
07-27-2008, 22:30

That's not quite right. Poles can make a big difference on your feet and ankles over the course of an entire day hiking. I walked to Neels Gap this year with out them and bought a pair there. Was a great choice for me, I was able to hike further and for more time in a day with them. It was much less impact on my legs.

dudeijuststarted
07-27-2008, 22:38
I have a pair of Black Diamond Trails. I find them useful on elevation and steep downhills, but also discovered they were slowing me down on flat, easy terrain, so I strap em to my pack. I'd try that.

Blissful
07-27-2008, 22:39
Poles will help your knees. Take it easy on downhills. I had many a hiker sail past me, but I took it easy to preserve what I had. And I take mega glucosomine tabs twice a day (from Swanson Vitamins).

Summit
07-27-2008, 23:00
Thanks to all of you for the positives on Trekking poles. I have ordered the Komperdells. Whats 51.00 when it comes to healthy joints and trail safety.They not only fit the bill for 'safety' in reducing the risk of falls, but I feel they present a better self-defense weapon, if ever needed, than even a Crocodile Dundee knife. Fully retracted, rather than extended, they could inflict some pretty serious damage on an assailant, be it either man or beast! Granted, this is a theory and one I hope I never have to put to the test, but knowing my capabilities, I feel more secure with trekking poles next to me in my tent at night. ;) Next best thing to a gun, and I refuse to carry a gun.

Lyle
07-28-2008, 12:09
If you decide to use poles, you owe it to yourself to seriously consider PacerPoles. Nothing else on the market like them - they work as advertised. By far the best option after trying the gamut.

http://www.pacerpole.com/

http://www.backpackinglight.com/cgi-bin/backpackinglight/reviews/display_reviews?forum_thread_id=960&cat=Trekking%20Poles&cid=56

sheepdog
07-28-2008, 12:58
http://whiteblaze.net/forum/vbg/files/1/4/9/2/0/bamboo_hiking_poles.jpg (http://whiteblaze.net/forum/vbg/showimage.php?i=26652&original=1&c=702)
These poles were made from old cross country ski poles. They are made out of bamboo, I cut them down a little. They cost me $3 at goodwill are light, and nearly indestructable.

Mike.C
07-28-2008, 23:45

Try using an Ipod to keep a dog away or shepherd a snake off the trail.

Mike

highway
07-29-2008, 06:53
I wonder what the carry-on regs are regarding a pair of collapsed trekking poles affixed to (or inside) a pack as carry-on luggage-not checked luggage!

Lyle
07-29-2008, 10:51
I wonder what the carry-on regs are regarding a pair of collapsed trekking poles affixed to (or inside) a pack as carry-on luggage-not checked luggage!

Few years ago ('05) I took mine from Michigan to Vegas. Just put them in a large duffel with my pack and checked it. Was never questioned.

highway
07-29-2008, 13:47
Please, I need regulations concerning CARRY-ON Luggage.

We all know one can pack about anything inside their 'checked' luggage, which I don't wish to do..

Lyle
07-29-2008, 14:09
Well EXCUSE ME!!!

Call an airline and find out.

highway
07-29-2008, 15:30
Well EXCUSE ME!!!

Call an airline and find out.

For the first line, I already did excuse you, asnd for the second one, I have not called an airline as yet as I am not quite sure they would know what I was talking about:-?

i saw on another thread that you use pacer poles. Your opinion would be appreciated. And I would like to carry them as carry-on from Orlando to Miami to Madrid and return the same 7 weeks later.

Littlest Hobo
07-29-2008, 15:54
I wonder whether this issue is a moot point anyway. I can think of so many other items in my pack that may be an issue other than trekking poles - lighter, pocket knife, nail clippers...

Littlest Hobo
07-29-2008, 16:02
i saw on another thread that you use pacer poles. Your opinion would be appreciated. And I would like to carry them as carry-on from Orlando to Miami to Madrid and return the same 7 weeks later.

Wheabouts in Spain are you headed? I'm planning on tackling a good chunk of the GR11 and GR10 in September.

leeki pole
07-29-2008, 16:12
Carried my leki hiking staff strapped to the outside of my pack with a rubber tip on it last year to Colorado, no problem. I did ask the agents at the desk if would be ok before I went through the security checkpoint, though.

weary
07-29-2008, 23:32
Don't do it. I've walked for years (decades) with just one hiking stick.

Summit
07-30-2008, 07:18
Don't do it. I've walked for years (decades) with just one hiking stick.And so never having tried trekking poles, you conclude they provide no value? How nearsighted. :eek: As I said, I hiked for 34 years without them too. I'm glad I gave them a try. Maybe you should before you condemn them without a fair trial. ;)

highway
07-30-2008, 07:19
Wheabouts in Spain are you headed? I'm planning on tackling a good chunk of the GR11 and GR10 in September.

One of the ancient Camino routes across Spain:

http://www.pacerpole.com/reviews.html

I have already done the Camino Frances and one half the Via de la plata but I am leaning to repeating the Frances, the one most heavily traveled, but also the one most interesting, at least to me, anyway

highway
07-30-2008, 07:24
Don't do it. I've walked for years (decades) with just one hiking stick.

i have always preferred the single staff, and I carried it when my knees went out. I will give the double poles a try. I have to... or quit..and I am not likely to do that!

highway
07-30-2008, 07:32
Carried my leki hiking staff strapped to the outside of my pack with a rubber tip on it last year to Colorado, no problem. I did ask the agents at the desk if would be ok before I went through the security checkpoint, though.

I know that walking canes are allowed AND pass easily through security. So, maybe with a rubber tip over the carbide points the airport security folks will recognize them as those.:-?

highway
07-30-2008, 09:54
I wonder whether this issue is a moot point anyway. I can think of so many other items in my pack that may be an issue other than trekking poles - lighter, pocket knife, nail clippers...

It is no longer moot. Delta just announced a $100.00US fee for the second checked bag. If you check your backpack with those 'innocent' little items it now will cost you something. But if they refuse your hand carrying the poles, the second checked piece of luggage now will cost you $100 as a one-way fee! At that point, if you relied on taking them to the counter you might be better off just to give them away to the ticket agent. I dont wish to do that!

minnesotasmith
07-30-2008, 10:29
-My staff is far less likely to break, so I don't have to baby it WRT putting my weight on it when needed. It's got some mass, so is far more useful if I need to knock back some brush or a stray mutt who thinks I should be its lunch.

- It's longer than any trekking pole I've seen, with longer reach to match, which I find is extremely useful in my experience for boulder fields, steep inclines, or crossing streams over logs, together a significant percentage of the AT. More than once my stave's length let me safely zip across a slick, slippery tree fallen over a stream, when hikers relying upon trekking poles had to go down into the water.

- I find that since I can switch back and forth between arms holding it, that I usefully can push harder with it than I think I would be able to with 2 poles (or 2 staves, something I've seen), since each arm gets lots of breaks from wielding my staff during the day's hike. This, together with its greater length, IMO saves my knees during hiking more than a pair of trekking poles or 2 shorter staves would.

-And, of course, as Summit has alluded to, using a staff (or if you can't get one in time, trekking poles) "staves" off that malady of LD-hikers, T-Rex Syndrome.:eek:;)

-I've started putting copper alloy end caps on my staves (just a few bucks at building supply plumbing departments), so they don't wear down appreciably any more, keeping constant length.

-As far as "getting looked down upon" for having a staff instead of trekking poles... Something handmade rather than purchased is kind of cool IMO, especially if it works as well or better than the bought item. Consider the pride the hikers on the Homemade Gear forum rightly have, after all.

-For someone who's environmentally-concerned beyond just personally practicing LNT while hiking, it's better to use something renewable that grows naturally over a product of fossil-fuel consuming ore crushers, digesters, and electric furnaces. (Anyone want a quick summary of how aluminum is refined, go here: )http://www.wmrc.uiuc.edu/info/librar...s/chapter4.htm

Then, there's the ultimate comeback for "but that looks STOOPID". It's "if it looks stupid, but it works, it's not stupid.". Also known as "odd-looking but finished the AT trumps stylish and didn't".

I'm a Choice "A" guy myself. ;)

Wooden hiking staves -- they're state-of-the-art. ;)

minnesotasmith
07-30-2008, 10:36
It is no longer moot. Delta just announced a $100.00US fee for the second checked bag. If you check your backpack with those 'innocent' little items it now will cost you something. But if they refuse your hand carrying the poles, the second checked piece of luggage now will cost you $100 as a one-way fee! At that point, if you relied on taking them to the counter you might be better off just to give them away to the ticket agent. I dont wish to do that!

Just MAIL your staff ahead of time to your destination. Cost? About 20 bucks.

leeki pole
07-30-2008, 10:38
And you have a hand free to use an umbrella as well, using a staff.

minnesotasmith
07-30-2008, 10:42
And you have a hand free to use an umbrella as well, using a staff.

If you use a hiking umbrella, as Ray Jardine did, for hiking trails like the PCT, a single staff goes better with that than does a pair of staves or a pair of trekking poles. I don't find that most of the AT is low-shade enough for an umbrella myself, but I know there are people who do.

Blissful
07-30-2008, 12:50
My son used a single hiking staff and carried a go lite umbrella for the rain last year. He hated rain gear.

Summit
07-30-2008, 18:11
An umbrella that attaches to a pack in a stable fashion wouldn't be bad, but I could not/would not hold an umbrella, hand above waist level for hours on end. I'd just as soon get wet. ;)

PJ 2005
07-30-2008, 21:50
90% of thru-hikers use them. Must be a reason.

Flush2wice
07-30-2008, 21:57
90% of thru-hikers use them. Must be a reason.
Marketing. Think about it.

Summit
07-30-2008, 22:13
Marketing. Think about it.While it's true that marketing can entice people to buy a product, it is powerless to keep them using that product. Since the number of trekking pole users who swear by them because the benefits of using them are real, and keep on using them is large and growing, you'll have to dig deeper in your BS bag than that! :eek: Have you ever actually used them for an extended hike?

oops56
07-30-2008, 22:25
Well many many years ago they wore called walking sticks pick one up of the ground did little knife work and it did the trick or a good green one.Trekking poles make a good tent pole.

Summit
07-30-2008, 22:43
Well many many years ago they wore called walking sticks pick one up of the ground did little knife work and it did the trick or a good green one.Trekking poles make a good tent pole.Still have one standing in the corner of my room that I and my son whittled on . . . very nostalgic.

The Ford Model-T was a great car in it's day, but wouldn't win the prize for best car of the year today (except for it's antiquity value).

With the proper fitting of the straps on trekking poles, you can put an incredible amount of weight down on the strap, which transfers to the pole, without much effort at all on your part. You don't even have to be gripping the pole at all to get full weight transfer, due to the strap design. You simply cannot achieve that with a whittled up stick. Thus the performance difference is comparable to that of a Model-T vs. today's BMW! :eek: :)

Flush2wice
07-30-2008, 23:15
Since the number of trekking pole users who swear by them because the benefits of using them are real, and keep on using them is large and growing, you'll have to dig deeper in your BS bag than that!
Sorry Summit, that must be the Kool-Aid talking. Most folks learn to walk at age 1. no poles needed. I've laughed out loud with owners of outfitter stores about all the suckers that pay all that $ for store bought poles. They laugh all the way to the bank. I laugh at how silly people look shooshing their way through the woods with snow poles in the summer.
Think about it.

oops56
07-30-2008, 23:22
Yep a walking stick you can poke your fire not hurt it also can put between you legs sit on it go for a down hill ride he he or you can knock the apples off the tree with it its hard to brake a good walking stick.Ok there more must go light up a stove in the shop.Now witch one shop full of them kero gas alk sterno.

rafe
07-31-2008, 06:01
Sorry Summit, that must be the Kool-Aid talking. Most folks learn to walk at age 1. no poles needed. I've laughed out loud with owners of outfitter stores about all the suckers that pay all that $ for store bought poles. They laugh all the way to the bank. I laugh at how silly people look shooshing their way through the woods with snow poles in the summer.
Think about it.

Well, so many angles with which to counter this remark, but why bother, exactly? :-? As opposed to one's choice in political candidates, religion, or automobiles (which, I admit, are very much influenced by marketing) the benefit from using poles -- at least for "some" or "most" folks -- is tangible and palpable, and the costs are (or can be) minimal. That's not to say you can't create a strawman to knock down, but again, why bother?

Summit
07-31-2008, 06:41
Well, so many angles with which to counter this remark, but why bother, exactly? :-? As opposed to one's choice in political candidates, religion, or automobiles (which, I admit, are very much influenced by marketing) the benefit from using poles -- at least for "some" or "most" folks -- is tangible and palpable, and the costs are (or can be) minimal. That's not to say you can't create a strawman to knock down, but again, why bother?Ditto! All I'll add to the nay-sayers to trekking poles: Enjoy your hiking experience without them. Laugh all you want at us 'shooshing' by you. We'll be feeling better, less wore out at the end of the day/hike than you, but we'll try not to take vengence and laugh back at you, because ignorance is bliss. :eek: :p

Summit
07-31-2008, 06:59
I've laughed out loud with owners of outfitter stores about all the suckers that pay all that $ for store bought poles. They laugh all the way to the bank.I'll have to hand it to you. You dug deeper into your BS bag and pulled out a completely fabricated lie! IF there is a shred of truth to this statement, which I highly doubt, it would stem from most outfitting store owners not being all that knowledgeable about a lot of the equipment they carry.

But it's quite clear that you'll not convince me that trekking poles are useless, because unlike yourself, I have actually tried them and have experienced tremendous benefits that you cannot convince me are not real. With them I can blow up steep ascents like I was 30 years younger and steep downhills do not hurt and cause quivering legs with them. I feel less fatigued at the end of the day, and on and on. No amount of sneering by you will convince me that I'm imagining these things.

It's also quite clear that you are not to be convinced either, so enjoy the rest of your hiking years without the benefits of trekking poles. Your laughs will be your consolation! ;)

PJ 2005
07-31-2008, 16:40
I am thinking about it. I twisted my knee badly when I was younger and trekking poles got me to Katahdin. Not to mention the balance assistance (there aren't always trees) and instant splint if you should need it.

Just because you opt to not use a piece of gear doesn't mean it's worthless. Count yourself lucky to have healthy knees at 43.

mrc237
07-31-2008, 16:51
I equate TPs to a bannister on a stairway. Sure you can climb or descend a set of stairs not using the bannister but its a helluva lot easier when you do use one. TPs are merely a tool, even monkeys know to use all fours. Carrying and old POS stick that some bear pissed on is way uncool. :)

mrc237
07-31-2008, 17:01
Thanks to all of you for the positives on Trekking poles. I have ordered the Komperdells. Whats 51.00 when it comes to healthy joints and trail safety.

Guy got his answer - close the discussion!!!

formornow
08-07-2008, 17:43
I have read many articles as well as many post on how trekking poles help. I have read many post that speak of being able to do more miles due to the fact that it takes some of the workload off your legs. I also have read the benefits of toning upper arms, shoulders, chest, etc. Then their is the benefit of them helping when a person slips. Then there is the self defense arguement. With all these potential benefits, why are so many so quick to dismiss them? I have never tried them, but have recently decided to start hiking and I am definatley in the market for some affordable ones. Good day to all.

take-a-knee
08-07-2008, 20:35
After 34 years of hiking without a staff or anything, and now almost a year of hiking with Komperdells, I'm asking myself, "why did you wait so long?" I love them. At 58, I'm blowing up ascents like when I was 25, and they absolutely rock doing steep descents . . . no quivering legs.

In April, when I finished the 76 mile Foothills Trail, doing the long steep descent into Table Rock State Park, jumping in my car and driving 5 hours back home, normally my legs would stiffen up and be sore as all get out for a couple of days after getting back home. Didn't happen AT ALL with the use of poles.

Also, I was pleased with the 'toning' that the use of trekking poles did with my upper body - chest, shoulders, and arms, so much so that I have continued to do 3-mile walks every evening with them back here at home. They put your upper body to work to help your lower body do the work of hiking up and down mountains.

If you want to take Flush2wice's advice and forgo all these benefits, then listen to him. He probably has never tried them.

Ditto, I wouldn't hike without poles in the mountains.

Lone Wolf
08-07-2008, 20:39
I have read many articles as well as many post on how trekking poles help. I have read many post that speak of being able to do more miles due to the fact that it takes some of the workload off your legs. I also have read the benefits of toning upper arms, shoulders, chest, etc. Then their is the benefit of them helping when a person slips. Then there is the self defense arguement. With all these potential benefits, why are so many so quick to dismiss them? I have never tried them, but have recently decided to start hiking and I am definatley in the market for some affordable ones. Good day to all.

it's all marketing

highway
08-07-2008, 23:10
it's all marketing

What makes you so sure? What if you are wrong?

mrc237
08-08-2008, 04:28
it's all marketing

Don't know why you're carrying on about this the guy got his answer. :D

Summit
08-08-2008, 21:20
it's all marketingWow, so you're saying that the 5 pounds that I could see for myself that I lost in my upper arms, shoulders, and chest after my Foothills Trail 76-mile hike was the result of marketing? I've hiking many week-long hikes of similar distance and NEVER lost that much weight in those areas. It was marketing that made the steep ascents much easier and it was marketing that made the steep descents less painful on the legs and knees? Wow, man . . . marketing has gotten gooooood! :rolleyes:

eric_plano
08-08-2008, 21:46
I used hiking poles for two yrs and finally gave them up half way through my 1k mile run in 07. I loved not having them! I have a full replacement ACL and meniscus damage but w/o the poles I had no problem on up or downhills (felt better overall) and the world was better w/o the clickety-clack in my opinion.

This is definitely a perspective decision. Use them if the make you feel comfortable or don't if not.

Summit
08-08-2008, 21:55
1k mile run? I would certainly agree they would not be good for running. But I agree with your last sentence completely . . . that's why I'm using them.

Lone Wolf
08-08-2008, 21:59
Wow, so you're saying that the 5 pounds that I could see for myself that I lost in my upper arms, shoulders, and chest after my Foothills Trail 76-mile hike was the result of marketing? I've hiking many week-long hikes of similar distance and NEVER lost that much weight in those areas. It was marketing that made the steep ascents much easier and it was marketing that made the steep descents less painful on the legs and knees? Wow, man . . . marketing has gotten gooooood! :rolleyes:

another sucker :rolleyes:

Summit
08-08-2008, 22:17
another sucker :rolleyes:I'll leave it to the other readers to decide where the rationale lies here. It's obviously beyond you! :rolleyes:

Lone Wolf
08-08-2008, 22:19
I'll leave it to the other readers to decide where the rationale lies here. It's obviously beyond you! :rolleyes:

:rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes: :rolleyes: whatever. obviously you don't hike much

Summit
08-08-2008, 22:35
:rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes: :rolleyes: whatever. obviously you don't hike muchFirst of all, you have no clue as to how much I hike, so your declaration is one of desperation; an attempt to discredit my observation about the benefits of trekking poles. Second, even if you were correct in your assumption about how much I hike, what does that have to do with what I experienced on that one hike? Dig deep in your BS bag for another of your famous impertinent responses. :rolleyes: