PDA

View Full Version : Advice - Deep Gap to Rock Gap

bigmac_in
07-27-2008, 16:23
The Piddler and I are thinking about another short section hike this fall, but don't have much time. What I need to know is this - could we easily slack pack this section in one day? We're not the fastest hikers in the world, the Piddler has some knee and hip problems, but I'm thinking we could do it. This stretch doesn't look too demanding.

Yes, I know it depends on a lot of factors - but, in general, what are your thoughts.

Pedaling Fool
07-27-2008, 16:36
Is this the section with Albert mountain in N.C.? If so, I think that's pretty doable, but it will be a little tough coming up from Deep gap and of course Albert mountain is a little tough, but it's a quickie. I especially remember it being really easy after passing Albert Mountain (NOBO).

max patch
07-27-2008, 16:55
Since I don't know you or your hiking pace or stamina I'm not going to answer your question directly.

I will point out that this is a 21 mile section IIRC and you have described yourselves as "not the fastest in the world" and one hiker has some physical limitations.

Only you and your partner can make this determination.

bigmac_in
07-27-2008, 17:04
Since I don't know you or your hiking pace or stamina I'm not going to answer your question directly.

I will point out that this is a 21 mile section IIRC and you have described yourselves as "not the fastest in the world" and one hiker has some physical limitations.

Only you and your partner can make this determination.

We can't make the determination without knowing the terrain. I believe we can do it - I guess I'm looking for information like John left above.

Sometimes the guidebooks are missleading about the terrain, just looking for input form people that have been through there.

Lone Wolf
07-27-2008, 17:18
yes you can slack it in one day. albert mtn. ain't all that. have fun

bigmac_in
07-27-2008, 17:32
yes you can slack it in one day. albert mtn. ain't all that. have fun

Thanks LW, I think we'll go for it.

That word "partner" in max patch's post made me a little uneasy....:D ...

Not that there's anything wrong with that....:D

Bulldawg
07-27-2008, 18:20
I can't speak for Albert Mtn, but from Deep Gap to Standing Indian is a breeze. Some of the easier climbing I've done on the AT so far. It is so easy I would not even hesitate to take a first time hiker there to get them started. It is definately a lot easier than Blood, Tray, or Kelly Knob!!

Egads
07-27-2008, 18:27
I agree with LW. This is an easy section with no steep climbs except a short section at Albert. And it's done just when you start breathing hard.

A good thing about this section is you can bail with a short hike to Standing Indian State Park campground from many points around the arc if you need to.

This section was my first 20 miler.

Have fun

orangebug
07-27-2008, 23:15
Ditto.

This is not a bad section, but much depends on what time you start the hike and your willingness to deal with dark or weather. Standing Indian has great switchbacks that make a long hike rather than a steep one. It is a bit bumpy until Albert, and then a nice little climb. There is an obvious blue blaze that shortens and misses the climb.

And most of the paths to your left head down to the campground and parking lots. Have fun.