PDA

View Full Version : Light weight footwear

Mocs123
07-27-2008, 23:37
Over the past few years, I have lighted my pack weight from 35-40 pounds to 20-25 pounds and have recently become interested in trying some lighter footwear to go with my lighter pack. I am currently using Lowa Scout II's a one piece leather 4 lb boot. Although I haven't had any problems with the boots, I am curious about lighter, quicker drying footwear.

I know that with shoes and boots you never know what works until you try on a shoe, but was wanting to get some suggestions. I am 6-0 162lbs and have a decent arch and a narrow foot (size 9). I run 5 miles on a treadmill 4 times a week, and have not had any ankle injuries except last year when I tore 3 ligaments in my ankle (Church Softball accident) and while the ankle is still not what it used to be, it is probably as good as it will ever be. I am currently section hiking the AT from Damascus to Springer Mountain and do most of my hiking in the southeast.

So far I have looked at three Salomon Shoes

The Exit Aero Hiking Shoe

The XA Comp 3 Trail Runner

The XA Pro 3D Ultra

Does anyone have experience with any of these shoes or others that I should look at?

http://www.backpackinglight.com/backpackinglight/elements/pencil.png (http://www.backpackinglight.com/cgi-bin/backpackinglight/forums/mb_post_form.html?po=edit&note_id=111308&forum_thread_id=14967)

Chance09
07-28-2008, 01:16
love the xa comp. It's what i'm planning on wearing for my 09 thru.

Had the original however many years ago and just bought a new pair a few weeks ago. I have a tendency to over tighten my laces on just about any shoes i wear, i think because i liked my soccer cleats extra snug, but make sure you don't do that with the salamon laces. They're much more comfortable a little on the loose side

Wags
07-28-2008, 09:21
i wear about your same size and carry about the same pack weight. i wear a pair of nike trial runners and love em

sbennett
07-28-2008, 10:37
Go with the 3D Ultra, it has better support than the XA Comp. Both are lighter weight and good for narrow feet. The Exit Aero is nice but isn't as stiff laterally as the other two and might not give as good of support.

Check into Montrail and Vasque (with Montrail being a bit better for narrower feet). I'd recommend the Montrail Hardrock or Continental Divide or maybe the Vasque Blur.

Hope this helps.

BookBurner
07-28-2008, 10:39
We're practically twins. I'm 5' 11'', 155 lbs., size 9 1/2, narrow foot, and run almost 20 miles a week. I have the Pro 3D Ultras and find them very comfortable and durable. I put 300 miles on a pair last year between Springer and Hot Springs and they barely show any wear and tear. Give them a try. And like Chance09 suggested, they do not need to be tight to fit snugly.

Mocs123
07-28-2008, 11:25
Thanks for your help in re-enforcing my decision to try lighter footwear and giving me a few models to look at. I did notice that the Pro 3D Ultras were by far the most laterally stiff of the three.

Any suggestions on socks? I had been wearing Smartwool light hikers with my Lowa Boots, would a thinner wool sock be better than a synthetic or would the synthetic be best?

Thanks

mark schofield
07-28-2008, 11:47
The sock question interests me also. I'm trying a pair of Montrail Hard Rocks this year. I imagine with a pair of low cut trail runners the shoes will get wet faster but hopefully dry much faster than a regular hiking boot. The change to a synthetic sock might complement the change. I've never been able to keep my boots dry for more than one day of rainy wet hiking. So I thought I'd try something that when it got wet, would at least dry faster. Mark S.

Wags
07-28-2008, 12:16
synthetic socks reak to high heaven after a day of hiking - bad to the point where i can smell them over myself, if that makes sense. i like smartwools

sbennett
07-28-2008, 12:21
Some wool socks dry as fast or faster than a synthetic sock if you know where to look. The Smartwool PhD sock, in an ultralightweight or lightweight thickness, dries extremely fast and hugs your foot extremely well (i.e. no rubbing for blisters). I use the PhD's with my Hardrocks and generally find that my often sweaty feet are mostly dry when I take off my shoes. I really liked the Smartwool Adrenaline sock but these perform much better. Smartwool seems to make the claim that they wick better than synthetic socks because they're able to pass water vapor through the sock while a synthetic supposedly only wicks away actual moisture on your feet (I'm not sure if I believe this or not).

I've tried some synthetic socks (Ingenius, Wigwam with Coolmax, and some REI kind) but they've never felt as good as the wool sock.

BookBurner
07-28-2008, 13:21
The Smartwool Adenaline Mini Crew has served me and my feet very well for several hundreds of miles. Like the Salomon's, the sock is durable and surprisingly breathable.

Mocs123
07-28-2008, 16:46
Thanks for the help on the socks, I may try some Smartwools and some synthetics. I agree with the synthetic socks smelling after a day or two on the trail, I dont know why synthetics smell so bad, but it is true. My capaline shirts will about knock me down after a trip, while my Ibex or Smartwool shirts smell, but not like the synthetics.

Has anyone tried these Lorpen socks?
Merino:http://www.backcountry.com/store/LOR0032/Lorpen-Merino-Shorty-Light-Hiker-Sock.html

CoolMax:http://www.backcountry.com/store/LOR0001/Lorpen-Coolmax-Multisport-Light-Shorty-Sock.html

smaaax
07-28-2008, 22:20
XA Pro 3D Ultra. Wore them on my thru. Expect them to last around 800 miles. The soles are rather flat at that point, but they dry really quick if you have non-wool socks on.

Wise Old Owl
07-29-2008, 15:10
I prefer the Salomon Shoes with thick wickin socks. I can trudge through small streams and keep going. 15 minutes later I feel dry again.

Mocs123
07-29-2008, 21:54
Thanks so much for your help, I guess I need to head to the gear store and try them on.

Also, I know this is a no-no, but if I order online, how do the Salomons fit, are they true to size?

Tinker
07-29-2008, 21:59
The Smartwool Adenaline Mini Crew has served me and my feet very well for several hundreds of miles. Like the Salomon's, the sock is durable and surprisingly breathable.

Ditto on the Adrenaline Mini Crew - great sock. My feet are wide and flat, so I guess you probably wouldn't like the shoe brand that's currently my favorite - Keen.

Lyle
07-29-2008, 22:04
Vasque trail runners with the stock insole replaced with Orange Super Feet. Moderately priced Merino wool socks, rinsed frequently. No liners.

This is my current combination and it worked extremely well for my last 170 mile section down in GA and NC. Not even a hint of a blister.

MAD777
07-29-2008, 22:14
Smartwool mini crew adrenaline lites are my summer, mild weather socks to wear with Montrail Hardrocks. No smell, fast drying, durable.

sbennett
08-02-2008, 10:56
Thanks so much for your help, I guess I need to head to the gear store and try them on.

Also, I know this is a no-no, but if I order online, how do the Salomons fit, are they true to size?

Salomon's are fairly true to size but run a bit narrow in the width...they aren't good for people with a wider foot like myself.