PDA

View Full Version : Wilderness First Responder

Two Speed
03-01-2004, 18:43
I'm considering taking a Wilderness First Responder (WFR) course, and have found two organizations that offer the course in the Georgia area. They are the Tremont Institute (in the Smoky National Park) and "WISER" (in Cleveland, GA). Has anyone taken the WFR at either of these schools, and what was their experience? Any other schools in the Georgia/Tennessee/North Carolina area that anyone could recommend? Any experience with the WFR and it's relative value for someone interested in improving their first aid skills, particularly in a "backwoods" environment?

oyvay
03-01-2004, 18:50
I've noticed that NOLS or SOLO schools offers WFR and other first aid courses at the NOC in N. C. IMHO SOLO seems better, but it's probably just six of one, half doz. of the other or just better instructors.

azchipka
03-01-2004, 19:07
I took the WFR course with nols and it was great.I would suggest it to anyone spending time in the back country for extended amounts of time.

Trail Yeti
03-01-2004, 20:50
You want to take a WFR course through a nationally organized agency such as SOLO or WMI....Nols is through WMI. Both of these organizations have schools all over...I would check and see which of them your courses in GA are through. I am sure they both have websites.
But its a great course, I definately recommend it.

Chip
03-01-2004, 22:59
I have taken the course and it is well worth it! Certification is good for 2 years. Sometimes hiking clubs will help sponsor and pick up some of the cost for a class if they get enough members enrolled. Carolina Mtn. Club did this a couple of years ago for its members. Sometimes local Sierra Club groups do the same. You might check that out as well.:clap

NotYet
06-14-2004, 15:19
WFR is a great benefit to anyone that spends a lot of time in the backcountry. But definitely make sure that your WFR course is done with a nationally recognized and reputable organization. All WFR courses are not equal! I have had great experience with both WMA and SOLO. They offer excellent and thorough courses.

Many colleges that offer Outdoor Leadership courses and camps, etc. open their WFR courses to the public. Check out WMA and SOLOs webites. They list schedules for courses all over the area.

cabalot
06-15-2004, 21:12
can anyone provide a link to any of these schools or organizations and are the courses free? i live in NJ @ exit 8A

NotYet
06-16-2004, 08:15
SOLO's website is www.soloschools.com, and WMA's website is www.wildmed.com. Both of these sites have course schedules and course locations listed.

WFR is not free, in fact it's pretty expensive. The class usually takes 10 to 11 days and is very intense. Often there is one price with Room & Board included and another without. When it says call about prices, do so. Some places don't charge nearly as much as others!

Pencil Pusher
06-16-2004, 16:15
How big is your medical bag and what do you carry?