PDA

View Full Version : Thinking about thru hiking after graduation, looking for the right gear.

jec6613
03-01-2004, 21:21
I've been backpacking before, but not in a while, and after I graduate and before I go into the work force I'd like to take the chance and thru hike the trail from ME to GA so as to not need colder weather gear as I will be going south as it gets colder in the fall, starting around June 1 2005, so I'd like to know your opinions on the gear I plan to take.

First, for my pack, I'm going to need to replace my current external frame with something a bit newer, lighter and, most importantly, one where the joints aren't about to fall off, while sticking to the external frame that I perfer for a number of reasons. I'm thinking the Jansport Carson 90, a 5500 cubic inch behemoth (I have a 20" torso so my options are somewhat limited even in external frame packs. 5 lbs, 6 oz there.

For a tent I'm thinking the North Face Tadpole 23 at 4 lbs, 15 oz. And I will be using a tent.

For a sleeping bag I'll probably stick with what I have, a 4 lb, 2 oz (including a 2 oz pillow needed for my snoring and compression sack) North Face 20 degree bag.

For cookware, a Coleman Feather 442 dual fuel (white gas/unleaded gas) and an aluminum pot. For eating, a lexan cutlery set, a plate and a bowl, all totaling 2 lbs 4 oz. I'd go with a lighter stove, but since I'm planning on carrying a month or more of fuel and that's where the weight will really add up, effeciency (and this one is) really matters.

For water, three Nalgene lexan bottles and an extra lid, plus a Katadyn Hiker pump and an extra filter, totaling 2 lbs (actually less, but budeting high).

For lighting it's a Mini Maglite 2AA and four batteries (all lithium) plus a headstrap and such for 6 oz. Also an 8 oz lensatic compass and 4 oz of maps and a map case and a 6 oz swiss army knife and stone and case. Despite not needing the compass on the blazed trail, I'd like to be able to take side excursions every so often and that's what the maps and compass are for. I mean, this may be one of the few chances I get to do it, so I'm going to do it right (including passing by every single white blaze).

I need ankle support in my boots (bad left ankle) and waterproof yet breathable, so a Hi-Tec Sierra V-Lite Sympatex, plus about 4 oz of boot maintenance equipment (mink oil and polish to keep it waterproof). Given my size, I expect 750 miles per pair. For the boots I'll carry one extra lace. Also a pair of Teva sandals for the end of each day and river crossings, I'm figuring about 1 lb for the sandals and laces in the pack.

For socks, two pair cotton/nylon for warmer or shorter days and two pair 100% wool with cushioned buttoms and heels plus polypro liners for longer or cooler days. Also by changing my sock type it should keep my feet in a little bit better shape. Figuring 4 oz for the socks in the pack.

I'm planning on one pair of pants and one pair of shorts, both nearly identical (the shorts are a cutoff and hemmed version of the pants), ripstop cotton/nylon with blouse strings and weight under 8 oz, belted with a standard black web belt and brass clasp. For shirts and whatnot two standard cotton t-shirts, one polartec fleece vest and a modestly insulated waterproof jacket of some sort. Havn't figured out exactly which one, but one along those lines. Maximum weight for them will be 1 lb.

For raingear I have a lightweight (4 oz) gore-tex poncho with a good hood and extendable rear to go over a pack, plus a 4 oz pack cover, so 8 oz there.

For personal hygene I'm going under 1 lb including my Mach 3 razor, shaving lotion (aka conditioner) and dishwashing supplies. I've done that weight before and will do it again on this trip.

Toilet paper and the key to the outhouse (small plastic shovel) comes to around 6 oz.

Add into that an extra pound for ziploc bags, stuff sacks and et cetera and my total weight, before consumables, comes to 24 pounds 9 ounces, less consumables.

For consumables I'm expecting a max weight to be 10 pounds of fuel and water, leaving me 10 pounds for food before hitting my target pack weight of 45 pounds max load and giving me a 32 pounds minimum before a resupply.

Is there anything I'm missing or any gear I should swap out? Any suggestions at all?

SGT Rock
03-01-2004, 21:59
I've been backpacking before, but not in a while, and after I graduate and before I go into the work force I'd like to take the chance and thru hike the trail from ME to GA so as to not need colder weather gear as I will be going south as it gets colder in the fall, starting around June 1 2005, so I'd like to know your opinions on the gear I plan to take.

As Lone Wolf often points out, "It ain't the gear that gets you there". But I think it can make you more comfortable. Looks like you already lpan to spend some money, so let me make some suggestions before you shop.

First, for my pack, I'm going to need to replace my current external frame with something a bit newer, lighter and, most importantly, one where the joints aren't about to fall off, while sticking to the external frame that I perfer for a number of reasons. I'm thinking the Jansport Carson 90, a 5500 cubic inch behemoth (I have a 20" torso so my options are somewhat limited even in external frame packs. 5 lbs, 6 oz there.

$100 for a pack, spend a little extra (about $150) and get a Gearskin for about 1/3 the weight and a little more cash.

For a tent I'm thinking the North Face Tadpole 23 at 4 lbs, 15 oz. And I will be using a tent.

$200 for a tent. Spend about $165 and get a Virga TarpTent for about 1/3 the weight.

For a sleeping bag I'll probably stick with what I have, a 4 lb, 2 oz (including a 2 oz pillow needed for my snoring and compression sack) North Face 20 degree bag.

If you already have it and are happy with it, stick with it.

For cookware, a Coleman Feather 442 dual fuel (white gas/unleaded gas) and an aluminum pot. For eating, a lexan cutlery set, a plate and a bowl, all totaling 2 lbs 4 oz. I'd go with a lighter stove, but since I'm planning on carrying a month or more of fuel and that's where the weight will really add up, effeciency (and this one is) really matters.

Build an alcohol stove and have a stove/fuel set that will weigh less than your whole stove does empty. You can resupply the alcohol easily and there is no reason to carry a month of fuel. Loose the plate and the bowl and eat from the pot you plan to carry anyway, and only carry the spoon from the cutlery. You could get by with about 16 ounces for the stove and fuel, plus the pot and the spoon weight being the only extras, I think you can cut about half the weight you were planning to carry for that.

For water, three Nalgene lexan bottles and an extra lid, plus a Katadyn Hiker pump and an extra filter, totaling 2 lbs (actually less, but budeting high).

Carry one Nalgen if you really want that you could use an empty gatorade bottle and a platapus bladder for about 1/3 the weight. Try Iodine or Chlorine Dioxide (not bleach) to save more weight over the filter and extra parts. I figure the price of the chlorine Dioxide is probably less than a new filter and wont break or clog.

For lighting it's a Mini Maglite 2AA and four batteries (all lithium) plus a headstrap and such for 6 oz. Also an 8 oz lensatic compass and 4 oz of maps and a map case and a 6 oz swiss army knife and stone and case. Despite not needing the compass on the blazed trail, I'd like to be able to take side excursions every so often and that's what the maps and compass are for. I mean, this may be one of the few chances I get to do it, so I'm going to do it right (including passing by every single white blaze).

You can get LED lights from Brasslite for $3 each - about the cost for a set of lithium AA. They only weigh about .3 ounces each - about a third of the weight of the AA maglight. You can superglue an alligator clip on them to clip to a hat bill and save the weight of the headband. I personally think the maps and compass are a great idea, but you can get a 1.5 ounce compass from silva to use pretty cheap. Instead of the big swiss army knife, you can get a smaller knife that will do anything you need for about 1 - 2 ounces. Send the sharpening stone by bounce box if you need it.

I need ankle support in my boots (bad left ankle) and waterproof yet breathable, so a Hi-Tec Sierra V-Lite Sympatex, plus about 4 oz of boot maintenance equipment (mink oil and polish to keep it waterproof). Given my size, I expect 750 miles per pair. For the boots I'll carry one extra lace. Also a pair of Teva sandals for the end of each day and river crossings, I'm figuring about 1 lb for the sandals and laces in the pack.

You could use trail runners or running shoes and simply use an ankle brace on the bad ankle. Send the maintenance items in a bounce box if you want them, but in my experience you cannot keep boots waterproof.

For socks, two pair cotton/nylon for warmer or shorter days and two pair 100% wool with cushioned buttoms and heels plus polypro liners for longer or cooler days. Also by changing my sock type it should keep my feet in a little bit better shape. Figuring 4 oz for the socks in the pack.

I feel that is a little much for socks, but everyone's feet are a little different. I would reccomend two pairs of Thorlo Light hikers without liners as your hiking socks, and a pair of wool for camp to keep the feet warm.

I'm planning on one pair of pants and one pair of shorts, both nearly identical (the shorts are a cutoff and hemmed version of the pants), ripstop cotton/nylon with blouse strings and weight under 8 oz, belted with a standard black web belt and brass clasp. For shirts and whatnot two standard cotton t-shirts, one polartec fleece vest and a modestly insulated waterproof jacket of some sort. Havn't figured out exactly which one, but one along those lines. Maximum weight for them will be 1 lb.

I really think that you should look at replacing the cotton stuff. It can get wet and will take days to dry while it will not keep you warm. I would replace the cotton shirts with synthetic t-shirts. For raingear, look at Redledge.

For raingear I have a lightweight (4 oz) gore-tex poncho with a good hood and extendable rear to go over a pack, plus a 4 oz pack cover, so 8 oz there.

If you are going to carry a waterproof jacket and a pack raincover, then why take a poncho?

For personal hygene I'm going under 1 lb including my Mach 3 razor, shaving lotion (aka conditioner) and dishwashing supplies. I've done that weight before and will do it again on this trip.

Toilet paper and the key to the outhouse (small plastic shovel) comes to around 6 oz.

Replace the plastic shovel with a flat tent stake and you can have a dual use item.

Add into that an extra pound for ziploc bags, stuff sacks and et cetera and my total weight, before consumables, comes to 24 pounds 9 ounces, less consumables.

I think you can probably get this down to about 15 pounds pretty darn easily.

For consumables I'm expecting a max weight to be 10 pounds of fuel and water, leaving me 10 pounds for food before hitting my target pack weight of 45 pounds max load and giving me a 32 pounds minimum before a resupply.

You could easily get by with 14 ounces weight in fuel (less than a pound) for two weeks cooking. 4 pounds water for an entire day hiking, and two pounds of food a day, so 5 days at your goal of 10 pounds food. So 15 pounds consumables, 15 pounds base weigh (give or take) and you can get down to a 30 pound start weight.

Is there anything I'm missing or any gear I should swap out? Any suggestions at all?

You didn't mention first aid kit, camera, journal materials, gloves, warm hat, etc. these are things you will have to evaluate yourself as to the need.

smokymtnsteve
03-01-2004, 22:12
or if you are going to carry the waterproof rainjacket and poncho ..why bring the pack cover???

also I agree with rock ..lose the cotton ...your $$$ would be best spent on some synthetic replacements...

you could use the poncho as a tarp also. and then you could lose the tarp tent.

SGT Rock
03-01-2004, 22:40
good point about poncho vs tent.

beatbox
03-02-2004, 00:32
Hey..good luck on your hike. By and large I agree with most of Rock's suggestions. I started with a pack with far too much weight and wasted alot of money before I realized I needed a lighter pack. Now my winter pack is at 12.5 (see beatbox's thru hike in the gear forum). I use a tartptent virga...its awesome and at 1.5 pounds cannot be beat. Ditto trail shoes and a stake (.6oz) instead of a trowel. I use an Aquafina bottle...it won't break but if it does its easilly replaced ... and a platypus plastic bag. With bad ankles I would be FAR more concerned about the weight you are carrying than the boots.....a light pack would be fine with trail shoes and a brace. Look for what items are pointless....i.e a coat and a poncho, etc. and what has multiple uses........tent stake...bronner's soap.....duct tape....91% alcohol works in toiletries and as emmergency fuel...etc. The trail is not a place to be a gourmet chef...if you really are pressed about good food...mix stuff befre hand adn then dehydrate it...far less weight. To each their own it is your hike...but these would be some of my suggestions. GOOD LUCK

jec6613
03-02-2004, 05:40
Well, if I can find a good machine shop to machine a couple of aluminum parts for me I'm going to scratch off the new pack, at least for my AT trip (for winter camping of course, I'd want the extra internal volume). I weighed my current pack with all of its customizations and it was 6 lbs even (roughly, using a physicians scale using subtraction), which isn't a lightweight but includes the following:

Pack repair kit attached to the hip belt just behind the right frame attachment, includes two pins, two plastic strap buckles with double sided tensioning (they're bright red and from a car seat when I was really little, but I found them at my parents' place and asked and they said "sure, take them!") and two epoxy pack patches.

2 extra AA batteries in waterproof case high on the left shoulder strap.

2 AA Mini MagLite in a modified belt holster low on left shoulder strap and tethered to the left strap loop (detachable, of course)

Military Lensatic Compass with trintium glow in the dark parts in a pouch on the middle of the left shoulder strap and tethered to the left strap loop.

PTT/mic/speaker extension for a radio with routed wiring down to the right side of the hip belt (I didn't have the radio on for the weighing, but it would go on the right side of the hip belt) on the upper portion of the right shoulder strap, in perfect position for use while hiking.

Small Swiss Army Knife in pouch in the middle of the right shoulder strap, tethered to the right stap loop.

4 nylon straps to attach gear.

I mean, I knew that the pack was heavy but I customized it years ago and don't remember how light it was when it was prestine which, if I'm about right, is somewhere in the 3-4 pound range, quite good for a full external frame pack, and I definitely perfer full external frames. Of course, part of the perception is the fact that I leave gear on/in the pack even when I'm not using it after I've gotten back and cleaned it because it just makes packing so much easier. In the short term I think I'm just going to dump epoxy into the problem part of the joints where a steel bolt wore through the soft aluminum block (which will also mean when I get the new parts in I'm going to have to get new bolts and remove the current joints with a hacksaw, but that's besides the point), but I don't want to go with a jerry-rigged solution on the trail.

I'll bring a logbook, probably a surveying fieldbook since their pages are water resistant and a hard pencil (#4 or so), also for waterproofness. For film a simple 6 oz APS w/ flash, the camera weighs almost nothing, can take panaramic pictures and the 24mm APS film is both easier to see the status of a canister and lighter in weight ever so slightly than 35mm (I think about 2/10 of an ounce) since it doesn't use as much steel in the canister. I have a wool hat that I need to get back from my brother (he took it to Philmont) that weighs 1.5 ounces and is only warm because it traps so much air, so I think I'll go with that.

I'm concerned about the effeciency of the alcohol and esbit stoves, and plus I already have the Feather 442 (it's been off the market now for quite a while so it would be hard for it to be otherwise), which is why I listed it, but keep in mind that my hike will probably last into December and one thing about the Coleman Feather 442, the newer 553 and the Peak 1 (originally the Feather 440) is that even in sub zero temperatures they will light the first time and burn effeciently with tremendous heat output. Does anybody have an opinion on that?

One other question: I'm going to be carrying about two dozen waterproof matches in a waterproof case as a "just in case" measure, but my prefered method of ignition is a plain old zippo that I already own. Should I chuck the Zippo (and necessary accessories, a small squirt bottle containing a couple of ounces of fluid) in favor of a disposable or should I keep the zippo since it lights first time, every time and under all conditions? (I even customized the zippo - it's got a nifty extra flint holder in the fuel compartment now)?

Jaybird
03-02-2004, 10:10
I've been backpacking before, but not in a while, and after I graduate and before I go into the work force I'd like to take the chance and thru hike the trail from ME to GA so as to not need colder weather gear as I will be going south as it gets colder in the fall, starting around June 1 2005, so I'd like to know your opinions on the gear I plan to take

............................................LIST.. .................................................. .................................................. .................................................. ......

Jec6613:

1st & foremost.....ALWAYS remember...COTTON IS EVIL!

my math is not great without the calculator...but according to your list...i counted approx. 50lbs (including food & water)

& thats without "the kitchen sink".....hehehehehehe! :p

i'd lighten the load in any way possible...Sgt.Rocks suggestions are good...

we all learn as we go...i did!

i've also heard (& i followed this advice myself).."if you havent used in in 2 or 3 days...ship it home!"
my total pack & supplies (water included) weighs in the 30 lbs range.

Kozmic Zian
03-02-2004, 10:39
Yea....Gear Stuff. It seems like one of the most common misconceptions of beginning LDH is the notion that 'if I don't take it with me, what will I do?' The thing to remember is that it's a long way to Maine, ;) with alot of access by road. Anything that you need, desperately, that you don't have, you can get at an Outfitter, grocery store, hardware store, department store, K-Mart along the way. Keep the load light to begin with, that's when it has to be light the most, when you're not in complete conditioning. Start with between 30-35lbs or less. Much less if you know what you're doing. But, then this info is for those just starting, right?
Sgt. Rock's info is very good, lighten up and enjoy....get heavy and the Approach Trail will show you quickly what you're in for. This kind of advice is sooooo valuable, and I highly advise anyone who's leaving for '04's assault to heed....In years past, of course, the Net wasn't available and the Mistakes we made then, required that we pay the price(exhaustion). Now, with White Blaze, all of the Newbies get a chance to learn what to do before even debarking....What a Gift! KZ@

smokymtnsteve
03-02-2004, 11:33
yea...south to north..approach trail....ME to GA ...YEA

SGT Rock
03-02-2004, 11:41
yea...south to north..approach trail....ME to GA ...YEA

True, but if you wanna get ready for any hike, put that list together you plan to use and try it for a week. I bet at the end of a week you will already ID the crap you shouldn't have carried ;)

The alcohol stoves don't have moving parts, don't break (unless you stomp it), they don't clog, they are practically free. Build one and try it before you condem yourself to hauling all that weight.

Doctari
03-02-2004, 12:13
Wow, what a gear list.

I totally agree with all here, loose some weight in the pack. The what has already been covered.
The why from my POV: that much weight, at least 50 Lbs, will be harder on your ankle (& knees, feet, back, etc.) AND you will sleep poorly, yes you will be very very tired, but trust me here; you will hurt all over.
My first section hike I carried pretty much what you are carring, at least weight wise. On my last section hike I carried counting food & water, 29 Lbs. Both hikes were similar terrain & wether, I was similarly out of shape for both, I was 6 year older last trip than first (48). I hiked faster, farther, and felt better at end of day with the lighter pack. AND I slept great: no pain, no knee swelling, etc. On my fiirst hike I took 3 or 4 pain killers a DAY just to keep going, last trip I took 4 Aspirin in 15 days, mostly for a headache I got on both town stops.

What you have is good sturdy stuff. Do yourself a favor & check out the stuff Sgt Rock & the others suggest. If you don't want to do the tarp thing check out the Nomad at wanderlustgear.com (They take forever to get, but there was one for sale here on white blaze) its only 2 Lbs. Even at my "worst" I only carried 2 Ltrs water.

Check out the UL forums here & at: backpacker.com, (Rocks site) http://hikinghq.net/, http://ultralight-hiking.com/home.html, http://www.backpacking.net/bbs.html for more inspiration. There are others just do a search.

And, if you decide to go your way, there is nothing wrong with that. Just bear in mind what was said here, and be prepaired to "toss" some gear along the way. The walisi-yi at Neils gap ships out several thousand Lbs of gear every year from hikers who realised they were carrying way too much. The year I went thru there (97) they were already up to 1500 Lbs on March 19th.

Have a great hike.

Doctari.

azchipka
03-02-2004, 12:26
Normally I am in full agreement with SGT Rock in regards to anything related to gear but in this case have a few adjustments and things you may want to consider.

First off being the pack. I personal overly dislike the Gearskin pack. I feel its way to expensive for what you get unless you are a ultra light weight hiker, which it doesnt sound like you are. I use a internal frame, from a little no name company and it has meet every one of my needs and then some.

In regards to the tent I would suggest trying a hammock before you rule them out. I will be using a hennesy ultrlight hammock on the trail this year, and as i am sure almost everyone who has one will agree they are wonderful. If your going with a tent and are not going ultra light get a real tent and dont skimp on the cost. I avoid the Tarp tents strongly ever since i woke up one morning basicly covered in snow, because i wasnt expecting snow over night. I also personal hate sleeping on the ground in any way, which is why i use a hammock.

4lbs for a 20 degree sleeping bag is alot of extra weight not not much warmth, i would try to go lighter on this, but if it makes you happy thats all that is important.

Lose the coleman fuel and go with a pepsi can stove or something like that. Personal i just go with out a stove, although that may change on the trail if someone can finally show me why i should have one. With the amount of stuff you are bringing for the kitchen there is no reason for that much weight.

Nalgene bottles are about the heavest weight bottles you can get and 3 of them? Seems a little much. Ya that 2lbs is empty not full. Fill up all your bottles and your looking at like 10+ lbs and thanks being generous. Switch to tablets instead of the pump, if the taste bothers you get the taste pills as well, rei sells the pair together. I would go with one water bottle, and a bladder of some sort.

Switch the mini-maglight AA to a AAA they are about 1/3 the weight and work just as well. I would lose the headstrap, other night hikers hate it when people shine lights in there face, as a good amoutn of night hikers go light less. 2 already have a compass on your pack from what you have said why do u need a second one. Lose the sharpening stone. I would lose the swiss army knife to many extras on them you wont use on the trail.

Ditch the tivas they are super heavy

Get some sock liners

Loss the cotton and go synthetic on any clothing

I agree with your raingear, i feel the poncho is always a good extra no reason to skimp on rain gear when most of it doesnt have much weight to it.

Lose the razor, and shaving lotion send it in a bounce box if you must. Lose the shovel, replace with good knife, a sharp rock, a tent stake, a hiking pole a spoon, what ever.

I think your shooting a little lower on your weight for food and water; considering a full naglena bottle is about 3lbs, and you have 3 of them so those alone are about 9 lbs. If your only carrying a max of 10lbs of food you eat a lot less then i do. Keep in mind there are some spots of the trail that are more then 5 days between resupply points.

You didn't mention first aid kit, camera, journal, pens, hat, hiking poles, and some other smaller items like that.

jec6613
03-02-2004, 16:26
You're right I'm not a lightweight hiker. In fact, even out of shape I don't slow down up till 35 lbs, and even at 45 I'm moving faster than most of the ultralights I've gone with. That's the advantage of being 5-11 and 220 lbs even in shape (got to drop the extra 20, I'm at 240). I start to look anemic at 200 lbs, I'm just a wide guy. That's one of the reasons I definitely perfer an external frame pack. I can also plus ten those numbers for my skin out weight, and in fact intend to. Remember, 45 lbs for me is 20% of my lean body weight, and 55 is only 25% so I'm actually traveling, relatively speaking, lighter than most people.

Hmm, one Nalgene (I have a spot and hydration tube for it on my pack) and a Nalgene bladder sound better, and the bladder weighs less than the bottle and carries 3X the water and is nearly puncture proof. Add back another bottle for rehydrating food while I'm hiking, but make it a 16 oz bottle for weight (that means I can carry 1.125 galons of water).

Keep in mind 4 lbs for the bag includes the pillow and the sack. It was one of the first bags with The North Face's Polarguard and is within an ounce of two of sleeping bags of the same size now. Heh, I remember when buying it, it was a big deal to get one that didn't have seams through insulation but still had a baffle system to keep the insulation in place, and it cost $250. I learned a lesson on that purchase: buy the RIGHT equipment and it'll last forever. Ditto with my $50 poncho.

The boot maintenance and stone I'll send via bounce box. My knife is very basic already, just a can opener, bottle opener, long blade and short blade, so I'm not leaving it behind. Plus, I've used it for ticks so it's important to me that I have it for that reason alone.

Flashlight ... hmmm. I like my 2AA one, and the headstrap is NOT for night hiking, but for doing chores around camp after dark, plus I have a red filter for it. If I'm going to lighten it, I think I'd go all the way to a single AAA one, but even the large AA mini doesn't weigh much and that, combined with a razor and a book are my comfort items, with a total weight of 8 ounces between all three. Believe it or not, when backpacking I'm wierd and shave every day - it just makes me feel cleaner than I actually am for some reason.

Ditching the cotton shirts, but the pants and shorts are very low cotton content with a total of 50% cotton but only 30% in the pants fabric themselves, and all except for under the belt and the bottom of the pockets will go from dripping to dry in about two hours.

Cutting down the TP and shovel-like device down to 3 oz I get a 3 oz savings there, for a running total of 11 ounces, assuming I go to a smaller flashlight.

Boot polishing is something I do ever other day normally, but if I dump the polish and go with just the mink oil and even that in a tiny container and resupply it by maildrop I can get it to a single ounce, so 14 saved.

Dump the tevas and go to lightweight sandals, saving 8 ounces or 1 lb 6 cumulative.

Cut the filter and replace with treatment, save 14 oz for 2 lb 4 oz total.

Drop the sharpening stone, gain 2 oz for 2 lb 6 oz total.

Ditch the stove and get one that, including fuel is 1 lb for loosing 4 lbs (including fuel, roughly) for 4 lb 6 oz dropped weight.

Oh yeah, and I gain another pound by switching back to my old pack, but I loose it again by adding stuff like first aid kit and a field book and pencil and etc.

That takes my pack dry weight to 19 lbs 7 oz, maximum wet weight of 29 lbs 9 oz and that gives me 16 lbs 7 oz for food, or at 1 lb 12 oz of food per day I get 8 meals plus snacks at maximum weight. Of course, it's unlikely that I'll be hiking at max weight (very unlikely, neigh impossible even).

I guess the only other news is that I may get a companion on this trip, and since it's my SO and she weighs 110 soaking wet, I'm still going to need to carry all of that junk, but I'll have to redo the fuel versus time equation to keep about two weeks of fuel and figure out what's lightest. While the alcohol and Esbit options are appealing because of their low start weight, I now need to boil twice the water and use twice as much fuel and it's still going to be low temps, so I may carry the heavier stove and fuel. I really need to take those out and field test them on a cold day to figure out how much fuel they use.

And, yes, I'm going north to south because that way when I'm up north it's still warma and as it gets colder I'll be moving south. Of course, about a month into the trip it'll start getting cold and I'll start to have to heat water at temperatures close to freezing ... definitely got to do the math here. Thank the heavens I'm good at calc.

Kozmic Zian
03-02-2004, 19:15
You're all set then....Have a good one! KZ@

Happy
03-02-2004, 21:58
Hiking back down the approach trail to my car yesterday afternoon, I saw several aspiring March 1st thru-hikers, setting on logs or leaning against trees to try and alleviate the weight on their bodies. Some of them will make it all the way due to determination and mental attitude!

Why not become more comfortable with weight reduction...if you don't use it EVERY day or it does not have multiple uses or it does not risk danger by removing, why not get rid of it?

Every hike I remove a piece of gear I realize I would only use a couple of times on a thru-hike, and could be purchased along the way... or I would NEVER use with my section hikes.

jec6613
03-03-2004, 04:01
I've done quite a few hikes myself in the Anirondaks and several smaller long weekend ones, although not in a while. My gear list is based on what I took on those, with some expansion in weight to increase capacity in water, fuel, etc. for longer duration and because I'll be on my own, and some reductions for the same reasons. For instance, I do not need a 6 lb first aid kit or a full sized hatchet with wooden handle. I did a week in the Anirondaks with a 75+ lb pack because other people in my group (a bunch of scouts of which I was one) could not carry as much so certain items that we only had one or two of and/or was needed for safety (read: liability) reasons, so 45 is EXTREMELY light for me.

Come to think of it, I've never done a hike under 55, and I plan on most of my practice runs on the AT in CT I'll likely carry the heavier gear and only take out one lightweight item at a time (e.g., use the lightweight stove on one trip, use the lighter flashlight on another) and still take the heavyweight item just in case the ligher one doesn't work out, plus carry my planned 8 days of food, until my final weekend when I'm finalize my pack and load it up for the actual hike when I'll bring the weight down to what I'll actually carry and double and triple check everything, then I'll take a two week break and then go. Oh yeah, I plan on carrying my superheavy pack and all of my books to all of my classes in the final month of classes to help my training for it.

Someone once coined a phrase: "train hard, fight easy" and its older and more direct equivelent: "a pint of sweat saves a gallon of blood". If I train far harder than I will actually be doing, then I expect no problems even with a "heavy" pack.

And if it makes you feel any better, remember that relative to my body weight and size I'm carrying far lighter loads than even some ultralighters. Plus, I'll be 22 when I start so my body will be as close to the pinnacle of potential performance from my body, so I'd like to take advantage of that.

And for a laugh, one of the items that got the axe pretty early from the list is something I used to normally carry on weekends when I was just out for fun: a 2 lb aluminim, brass and steel "backpacking" (I guess it's a relative term, since it's extremely light for what it is) espresso maker. Yes, sometimes on shorter trips as I get back into it I plan on carrying it, and, yes, if I see anybody while I'm doing my shakedown hikes on the AT that's a thru hiker while I'm fixing breakfast they get a free cup of espresso :D

azchipka
03-03-2004, 09:30
BE PREPARED!!!!!!

Its funny you can always tell who the upper ranking boy scouts and eagle scouts where. We dont think twice about hauling 40+ lbs around with us on the trail. Jec im with you on this one. My pack dry has a weight of about 30 lbs and around 45lb when its full of food and water and im like half your size.

I find it perfectly comfortable, if i had a lighter pack i might just get blown off of some of the mountains. I have to say if i only had like 20 something pounds in my pack i would be trail running not hiking.

azchipka
03-03-2004, 09:33
And for a laugh, one of the items that got the axe pretty early from the list is something I used to normally carry on weekends when I was just out for fun: a 2 lb aluminim, brass and steel "backpacking" (I guess it's a relative term, since it's extremely light for what it is) espresso maker. Yes, sometimes on shorter trips as I get back into it I plan on carrying it, and, yes, if I see anybody while I'm doing my shakedown hikes on the AT that's a thru hiker while I'm fixing breakfast they get a free cup of espresso :D

BRING THE EXPRESSO MAKER!!!!!!!!!!! If your not going to bring it, then send it to one of my mail drops and ill bring it.

Its worth the 2lbs

jec6613
03-03-2004, 16:38
BE PREPARED!!!!!!

Its funny you can always tell who the upper ranking boy scouts and eagle scouts where. We dont think twice about hauling 40+ lbs around with us on the trail. Jec im with you on this one. My pack dry has a weight of about 30 lbs and around 45lb when its full of food and water and im like half your size.

I find it perfectly comfortable, if i had a lighter pack i might just get blown off of some of the mountains. I have to say if i only had like 20 something pounds in my pack i would be trail running not hiking.
Lol, I completely agree with you on the trail running comment. I carry 20 lbs worth of junk to class every day and think nothing of it. What most people consider a normal loadout I would consider slackpacking were it on my back.

Want to know something else about us Eagles who carry 40+ lbs? We tend not to be the people who end up with their bodies being found two days after they were expected home from a hike in the Whites or other similar tragedies. I consider much of my heavier gear as safety equipment because I know that there are some situations where you can't mess around and actually need that gear, as do virtually all of my fellow Eagles. For instance, if I hit -20 temps and 40+ MPH winds somewhere, I can set up my tent in 5 minuites and take myself AND my gear inside, pop out my sleeping bag and pad and hunker down while writing my my journal, reading, checking maps (important depending on my H2O situation, I may have to go out soon and would need to know where I was) and crunching gorp.