PDA

View Full Version : how many zero days

RWK
07-28-2008, 13:45
I know this varies from hiker to hiker but I'm trying to get a feel for how many zero days people take on thru hike. I'm NOBO 04/09. Thanks

jersey joe
07-28-2008, 13:46
I took zero, but most take more.

sheepdog
07-28-2008, 13:49
I took zero, but most take more.
What was your average miles per day, and how long did it take you to finish? Sometimes I wonder if people averaged less miles they would need less zeros. Haven't done the thru but I am curious.

Lone Wolf
07-28-2008, 13:51
2 days off a week at least

Tin Man
07-28-2008, 13:54
I am taking practice zeros ... until my upcoming section hike

Pedaling Fool
07-28-2008, 14:00
I take a lot of zeros, more than most, because I hate hiking. On a thru my zeros would look something like this:

ZERO
Franklin, NC
Fontana Dam, NC
Hot Springs, NC
Erwin, Tn.
Damascus, Va.
Pearisburg, Va.
Dalevill, Va.
Waynesboro, Va.
Harper's Ferry, WVa.
Duncannon, Pa.
Delaware Water Gap, Pa.
Vernon, N.J.
Fort Montgomery, NY
West Cornwall, Ct.
North Adams, Ma.
Norwich, Vt.
Gorham, NH
Rangeley, Me.
Monson, Me.

Note: some places I would take more than one zero at.

jersey joe
07-28-2008, 14:01
What was your average miles per day, and how long did it take you to finish? Sometimes I wonder if people averaged less miles they would need less zeros. Haven't done the thru but I am curious.
Averaged just under 20 miles per day.

A-Train
07-28-2008, 14:04
I took 17. However 9 were for my brothers wedding, and 2 were to visit home when I hiked thru NY.

I only took 6 town zeros. They were: Fontana Dam, Hot Springs, Erwin, Damascus, Waynesboro and Manchester VT.

Erwin and Damascus were unplanned and due to bad weather.

DavidNH
07-28-2008, 14:14
Well, On my hike I think I took around 25 zero days.

In anycase.. expect to take AT LEAST one a week. Allow for more. when weather is bad for days on end it can be hard to leave town.

If you are one of those high milage (20-30+) miles per day types, the youngsters I saw who did high miles followed it up with several rest days.

If possible.. ame for a steady 5-6 days hiking followed by 1-2 days rest. What will really slow you down (if time is any issue here) is taking 3-4 day rests or getting off the trail for a week or two.

DavidNH

CrumbSnatcher
07-28-2008, 14:29
meet three aussies in new hampshire 99' talked about picking up the pace to finish in time before thier visa ran out. said they had 60 zeros. i don't take zeros that often,but took 7 in a row once,in hot springs 02' couldn't pass up the free motel room. hot as hell out,60's in the air conditioned room:)

The Solemates
07-28-2008, 14:32
we took 10, and 2 were to side trip into NYC for fun

the goat
07-28-2008, 14:40
I'm trying to get a feel for how many zero days people take on thru hike.

too many to count!:D

i like to take around 3 dozen.

Footslogger
07-28-2008, 15:22
I know this varies from hiker to hiker but I'm trying to get a feel for how many zero days people take on thru hike. I'm NOBO 04/09. Thanks
===========================

I never planned them or kept a count ...but I took my share.

If I hike the AT again I would no doubt take even more of the.

'Slogger

max patch
07-28-2008, 15:25
Depends on when you reach town, but in general I like to take one town day per week.

Animal Cracker
07-28-2008, 15:47
If I find a place I like - zero. If I find a place I really like 0-0. The list of zeros can be endless. And, of course, if it's raining - zero.

Pootz
07-28-2008, 15:52
I took about 25 including 5 to attend a wedding. I feeling is that time spent in trail towns/hostels is part of the AT experience. I meet a lot of great people during my days off.

Kirby
07-28-2008, 15:53
I took a zero in:
Hiawassee, GA
Fontana Dam, NC(weather)
Hot Springs, NC
Damascus, VA
Waynesboro, VA
Duncannon, PA(food poisoning)
Port Clinton, PA
New York City courtesy of A-Train
Monson, Maine.

Kirby

Peaks
07-28-2008, 17:38
The number of days off depends on the individual. Generally speaking, most average about 1 day off per week. But, some take a lot more, and some take a lot fewer.

smaaax
07-28-2008, 18:39
It depends on how your body is doing. I took five early on because my knees were hurting, then after that, I took 2 more the rest of the trip in big trail towns. I was doing big miles, but was feeling good. You can do big miles and not need days off if your body lets you. No telling until you get out there.

RWK
07-28-2008, 19:37
It depends on how your body is doing. I took five early on because my knees were hurting, then after that, I took 2 more the rest of the trip in big trail towns. I was doing big miles, but was feeling good. You can do big miles and not need days off if your body lets you. No telling until you get out there.

Yeah I know it will depend on the individual but everybody's replies help give me an idea of what's common. Thanks everyone.

Caveman of Ohio
07-28-2008, 19:48
I took 31 zero days and many nero's.

rafe
07-28-2008, 22:16
39-day section hike last year. No zeros. Every four or five days or so I'd treat myself to an "easy" day, say 8-10 miles instead of 15-17.

yappy
07-28-2008, 22:29
0s can be as fun as the hiking.. took probably 25 or 30. i don't have a list though. man, you guys have some serious memories ..lol.. i took fewer on the pct though.

Tin Man
07-28-2008, 22:39
listen to your body, it will tell you when you need a zero

listen to the trail, so your zero doesn't turn into a "what trail?" party

map man
07-28-2008, 23:14
I did a study of completing NOBO thru-hikers who kept journals at trailjournals.com (classes of 2001 thru 2007 -- over 170 hikers total), and they took a mean of around 168 days to thru-hike and about 20 of those days (mean) were zero days. Of course, individuals varied greatly -- from 0 zero days to over 60. The study is in the articles section: "AT Hiking Rates, Section by Section."

Jim Adams
07-29-2008, 02:07
1990-79 zero days
2002-61 zero days
what can I say...I really had fun!

geek

HighlanderII
07-29-2008, 08:07
I took 2 in Damascus, one was planned, the other I was sick (food poisoning?). My milage/day was higher than most and I finished early in the season (despite the limited zeros).

If I were hiking again, I would not plan on any zeros but would take them if my body required them.

Tin Man
07-29-2008, 08:23
I took 2 in Damascus, one was planned, the other I was sick (food poisoning?). My milage/day was higher than most and I finished early in the season (despite the limited zeros).

If I were hiking again, I would not plan on any zeros but would take them if my body required them.

Where'd you eat in Damascus?

Blissful
07-29-2008, 14:02
On the trail we took zeros in Franklin, Hot Springs, Damascus, Hanover, Gorham. We took a lot of neros instead (hiking for a few miles and getting to town by 11 AM, for instance).

We also went to both my parents and in laws for a few days in NY. And came home to VA for injuries twice.

Lobo
07-29-2008, 14:35
I took 6 zeros- Damascus 1, Lancaster (home) 3, Gorham 1, and Monson 1. Probably would take a few more if I were ever to try a thru again.

HighlanderII
07-30-2008, 12:03
Where'd you eat in Damascus?

There was a diner/burger joint at the north end of town that I ate in. I'm not entirely convinced that the bug came from there.

I think I got it in Kincora (which I hiked in from about 1.25 days prior). There were quite a few others who were sick on their way to Damascus from Kincora in 2003. I fortunately (or unfortunately) made it to Damascus quickly enough that I was sick in town rather than out in the woods.

I hadn't been that sick in about 20 years prior. Its definitely not a pleasant memory...

Lone Wolf
07-30-2008, 12:06
There was a diner/burger joint at the north end of town that I ate in. I'm not entirely convinced that the bug came from there.

I think I got it in Kincora (which I hiked in from about 1.25 days prior). There were quite a few others who were sick on their way to Damascus from Kincora in 2003. I fortunately (or unfortunately) made it to Damascus quickly enough that I was sick in town rather than out in the woods.

I hadn't been that sick in about 20 years prior. Its definitely not a pleasant memory...

hostels are breeding grounds for all kinds of sickness and funk

A-Train
07-30-2008, 12:08
hostels are breeding grounds for all kinds of sickness and funk

Indeed, something seems to fester every year between Janets and Damascus. Janets/Kincorra/The place=lots of people, communal cooking and unfortunately sickness. Same thing happens at Kennedy Meadows and Saufleys on the PCT.

Wash your hands early and often, or, better yet, avoid communal cooking and eating.

Tin Man
07-30-2008, 12:12
And don't let anyone in your gorp/food bag.

Jan LiteShoe
07-30-2008, 12:17
===========================

I never planned them or kept a count ...but I took my share.

If I hike the AT again I would no doubt take even more of the.

'Slogger

Hear hear!
Yah, I didn't take my first real zero until Hot Springs, about 270-ish miles in.
But after that, it was "Katie bar the door!"
I LIKED it.
:sun

There's a trail saying, a sign at Kincorra, something about "Hiking getting in the way of my trail experience."
:D

A foot-travel journey of thousands of miles is such an absurd thing, as seen through the lens of the everyday, work-a-day world. Until you're actually living it, it's hard to describe the time-bending elements of that sort of freedom.

Some hikers have concrete deadlines that must be met, or impatient partners at home, but other simply couldn't turn loose the work ethic of the everyday world.
That seems like such a shame to me. Not that the work ethic is a bad thing, but that such a unique opportunity was lost. "For everything there is a season..."

Nearly Normal
07-30-2008, 18:06

As many as it takes.