PDA

View Full Version : National Geographic AT show

kbarrettcleary
07-28-2008, 17:16
Hello--
A National Geographic documentary crew is looking for section hikers or a hiker starting on Springer Mountain for a longer hike on August 7th, 8th or 9th. We'd like to do a short interview and film a bit of the prep.
Please let me know if you know of anyone!
Hopefully we'll see the rest of you on the trail in the coming months. Thanks,
Katie
[email protected]

flemdawg1
07-28-2008, 17:34
Are you anticipating any bare-chested native females? 'Cause I could help run a light meter or sumthin.

Knocky
07-28-2008, 17:47
I tend to be a bit leery of the 'take' that National Geographic might present a story with.
I hope that in this case, the NG is friendly to the natives. :rolleyes:

Phreak
07-28-2008, 18:00
are You Anticipating Any Bare-chested Native Females? 'cause I Could Help Run A Light Meter Or Sumthin.
...rofl...

Bearpaw
07-28-2008, 18:29
Behave for the National Geographic folks....

We don't want them reporting back about all the "wildlife" on WB.

For Kbarrettcleary, just curious if you're looking specifically for section hikers. You aren't likely to find any thru-hikers on Springer that time of year. What exactly is your focus with this documentary? At this time of year, it seems like following SOBO's would be a good idea. Many NOBO's are pretty close to finished by August (at least into New England).

Wise Old Owl
07-28-2008, 22:01
Behave for the National Geographic folks....

We don't want them reporting back about all the "wildlife" on WB.

There isn't any "wildlife"

kbarrettcleary
07-28-2008, 22:12
Bearpaw--
Thanks for your response. We know we're not going to find a NOBO hiker starting out this time of year...so we're just looking for someone who might be starting a longer hike or a section hiker starting from Springer. We're not planning on following the progress of one hiker, but a multitude of people up and down the trail. Does that help?
Thanks,
Katie

Bulldawg
07-28-2008, 22:23
How far is a "longer" hike? I live in the area Katie. Are we talking a weekend hike, a week long hike, what exactly are you looking for?

Bearpaw
07-28-2008, 22:32
Does that help?

Yes, thanks. I hope you find some longer-distance hikers. The area gets enough traffic that odds are decent you'll get some.

Homer&Marje
07-29-2008, 00:08
I'll hike any distance you want, how much does it pay??

Newb
07-29-2008, 07:27
Let me know when you're in Virginia. I can show you some sweet spots.

canoehead
07-29-2008, 08:04
Let me know when your in MA/CT.

Hoop Time
07-29-2008, 08:30
Bearpaw--
Thanks for your response. We know we're not going to find a NOBO hiker starting out this time of year...so we're just looking for someone who might be starting a longer hike or a section hiker starting from Springer. We're not planning on following the progress of one hiker, but a multitude of people up and down the trail. Does that help?
Thanks,
Katie

In other words, they got the idea approved too late to get any thru-hikers starting out, but they would like footage of actual jikers on that section of the trail.

As long as they don't portray that as footage of thru-hikers starting out when they put the thing together, there is nothing wrong with that, except that it would not accurately portray the weather conditions faced by hikers starting in March. That and the clean shaven faces (and legs) would be a dead giveaway.

As a journalist, that would be my concern. That what they show is not portrayed as something that it is not.

If this were a local TV news crew, I'd be concerned. I don't know that I'd have those same concerns about NG. And for what it is worth, I notice her e-mail is a ngs domain, so this would not seem to be an independent crew hoping to sell a film to NG.

wookalar
07-31-2008, 00:03
Bearpaw--
Thanks,
Katie

i am starting august 30th for 10 weeks on the trail, north bound

hiking to raise money for the autism society of colorado, named in honor of a good friend's young son

please take a look at my pages for details on the trip and how to donate

thanks...i know it's a little later than you described

http://www.grahamslongwalk.com/

http://www.myspace.com/grahamslongwalk

wookalar
07-31-2008, 00:05
Bearpaw--
Thanks,
Katie

i am starting august 30th for 10 weeks on the trail, north bound...picking up where i leave off next spring

hiking to raise money for the autism society of colorado, named in honor of a good friend's young son

please take a look at my pages for details on the trip and how to donate

thanks...i know it's a little later than you described

http://www.grahamslongwalk.com/

http://www.myspace.com/grahamslongwalk

Egads
07-31-2008, 07:07
If Wookalar doesn't fit the bill, I'll be happy to carry an oversized pack loaded with way too much junk from Springer to Neels Gap. I'll even pull off the trail there like many of the naive and inexperienced hikers.

Wait, this isn't Hiking Humor, well never mind.

Good luck with your search. Seriously, I am sure that many at Whiteblaze including myself would be happy to pack up and meet you at Springer.

Egads

Homer&Marje
08-03-2008, 08:38
I Emailed this lady and offered to adapt to any situation they needed as long as they compensated me for my travels and supplies and the lady didn't even get back to me... way to put a show together... you know they are just going to be on the top of springer in a few days annoying every hiker that goes by with questions like, "What is your motivation to hike so far" I think my response now will be, to get away from false realities presented on television shows about nature:D NG used to have a little more integrity

satchmo
08-03-2008, 10:28
I Emailed this lady and offered to adapt to any situation they needed as long as they compensated me for my travels and supplies and the lady didn't even get back to me... way to put a show together... you know they are just going to be on the top of springer in a few days annoying every hiker that goes by with questions like, "What is your motivation to hike so far" I think my response now will be, to get away from false realities presented on television shows about nature:D NG used to have a little more integrity

You state you would adapt to any situation they need. Sounds like if they wanted to offer a false reality of hiking you would be more than happy to do it as long as you got paid in some form.

Homer&Marje
08-03-2008, 20:45
Just wanted an excuse to go hike for a couple weeks, I think I may have worded that incorrectly, They could film me hiking and cut it anyway they want to if they had paid for my travel expenses and supplies, they could film me hiking, and cut it anyway they want. That way I don't need to get "Paid", but also can enjoy my hobby without also incurring financial burdens that I can't afford, I already took enough time off of work to go Hiking but if the trip didn't "cost me anything" I could do it, Clarified? I know I'd probably be disappointed with the outcome of the whole thing but in the end I got to go for a hike...so that's all.

Bulldawg
08-03-2008, 21:04
What does it matter either way if you are out on the trail actually hiking?