PDA

View Full Version : Trip Report From Franconia! We Survived The Rain!

Homer&Marje
07-28-2008, 20:43
Where to begin, well Marje and I are back from Franconia and had a blast. We had the pleasure this week to introduce my 13 year old brother-in-law to backpacking in the wilderness, he has always enjoyed car camping with us and his father but we figured it about time to put some miles under his belt.

It went well. For an I-Pod driven, Myspace engaged, Skateboarding teenager to drop everything in his life and go and live like we do in the woods was a scary prospect at first. I am so proud of that kid that I cannot put it into words, he made the trip a complete joy and even made it easier at times on myself and the wife... what more can I ask for?

We did not do the original planned trip because of a somewhat severe injury to Marjes knee, it's at best sprained real badly but again, she rose above and beyond, didn't turn around and just kept on trucking through tears, blood, and sweat. Not particularly in that order, except tears, she was in pain.

Anyways, Little Bro-in-Law gained his trail name on this trip due to the Chuck Norris T-shirt he wore most of the time. " Chuck Norris doesn't throw up, Chuck Norris Throws Down". That and the fact that he's a twig of a boy his trail name is "Walker Skinny Ranger"

Back to the Trail report, First day on the trail was short, made it from the Lincoln Woods Parking lot in till about 100 yds from the Bondcliff Trail and made camp due to severe rain. Took off in the morning up the Bondcliff trail and that's where Marje blew out her knee on a river crossing of Black Brook, which was raging with all the rain. And with a blown knee she continued 3000 ft of elevation on a trail that was completely awash, basically a stream to get to the top of Bondliff, Mt Bond and down to Guyot campsite where we stayed for two nights. Myself and Walker Skinny Ranger went and did a day hike to the top of West Bond and let Marje rest the knee.

So, after we left Guyot Campsite we hiked up to the top of Guyot (the false peak) and over the ridge to the top of South Twin where I have to post a huge thank you to Cheef Daddy, Mouse and Lancer??something or other, (cant remember) because they helped us a lot with some advice on Marjes Knees, suggesting to tie compression straps or a bandanna just under the knee cap to alleviate pressure and it really did help, considering we walked 1000 ft down South Twins back side, then stopped at Galehead Hut ( a thanks to the caretaker for a roll of tp, one of our rolls got soaked) and then we walked about 2000 ft down to 13 falls in that 2.5 miles, by the time we got there the knees of the wife were hurtin for certain but she made it the 8 miles out today down Franconia Brook trail. If anyone needs any specifics about trail locations or some good campsites I found trail side let me know, otherwise Happy trails and I'll have pics posted tomorrow!

Bare Bear
07-28-2008, 22:21
Congratulations on taking a kid hiking and BIG KUDOS for the wife for hanging in there!
Did I meet you guys in April at Stecoah Gap by chance, at Trail Magic?
Do the right thing for future generations.

Homer&Marje
07-28-2008, 23:16
No, we haven't met yet but I am just breaking the fam into the AT so we hopefully will meet in the future, until then Happy trails.

Hikerhead
07-28-2008, 23:22
Nice report. Your wife sounds like a real tropper, hope that her knee gets better.

What was the trail like going up Bondcliff? Switched back or straight up? We'll be coming down it in the fall.

Homer&Marje
07-28-2008, 23:47
Bondcliff Trail is not switchbacked at all, not at least like in the sierra nevadas, there's slight turns but for the most part it's straight up about 3k, Wonderful trail don't expect too many campsites unless you have a hammock and you'll want to get over the bonds to Guyot in 1 day, it's not that bad but take it slow... Wife is walking around thanks for the concerns, as long as we're not dropping 100 ft every 5 minutes she seems to be fine:D

Homer&Marje
07-29-2008, 09:40
Started posting some pics from Franconia, CVS is not on the ball today the rest should b ready tomorrow

Hikerhead
07-29-2008, 18:58
Nice shots. Black Brook looked like it was fun to cross. I want to see that classic Bondcliff shot. Cookerhiker, take note.

Homer&Marje
07-29-2008, 19:13
I'll post the bondcliff shot

Homer&Marje
07-29-2008, 19:23
You said you would like to see that classic shot, I sort of captured it from on top of West Bond the day after we hiked Bondcliff and Mt Bond... Both extremely painful:D
http://www.whiteblaze.net/forum/vbg/showimage.php?i=26705&original=1&c=561

http://www.whiteblaze.net/forum/vbg/showimage.php?i=26706&original=1&c=561

rickb
07-29-2008, 19:27
Nice shots, but what's up with the guy eating his hiking staff?

Homer&Marje
07-30-2008, 09:19
I obliged an answer via pm even tho the title of the picture is "Don't Ask" but then again I never was one to follow even my own rules, The man can't keep me down even if that man is me:D

Blissful
07-30-2008, 11:21
Glad you had a good time, BUT...take care of that knee!!! :)