PDA

View Full Version : November two weeker, Fontana NOBO

Bare Bear
07-28-2008, 23:04
Dick Tracy just called today and wants to go do a two week hike on the AT starting Nov 1 or so..........
I have hiked a few times in snow and have a 15F bag. Any other suggestions? I assume the shelters will be empty pretty much. Extra fuel (alcol stove). DT has hiked the Smokies (all seasons) all his life so I have his help also. I like to be prepared to depend on myself.

Bare Bear
07-29-2008, 18:22
No suggestions, tricks you've learned about surviving in the cold?

Lone Wolf
07-29-2008, 18:25
No suggestions, tricks you've learned about surviving in the cold?

tents are warm, shelters are cold.

Blissful
07-29-2008, 20:00
But sectioners still need to stay in cold shelters in the Smokies. Unfortunately.

Lone Wolf
07-29-2008, 20:05
But sectioners still need to stay in cold shetlers in the SMokies. Unfortunately.

well........

Bare Bear
07-30-2008, 18:51
I hate to get LW started on shelters again but I had considered putting up my tent in the shelters if no on else but DT and I are there. At least it is a wind break and a few have tarps to help in winter.

Marta
07-30-2008, 19:07
November is an excellent time to hike in the Smokies. You should have good views from the ridgeline. It shouldn't be crowded. Because you have to stay in the shelters, you might want to bring extra padding to go underneath you, and a bit warmer sleeping bag than if you were tenting.

The shelters are at somewhat awkward distances. You might end up having some really short hiking days. All the shelters in the Smokies have fireplaces, so you can amuse yourself by making fires in the evening.

Kirby
07-30-2008, 21:29
I hate to get LW started on shelters again but I had considered putting up my tent in the shelters if no on else but DT and I are there. At least it is a wind break and a few have tarps to help in winter.

I never heard any hiker object to another hiker setting up their tent in the shelter. Should not be that big of a problem.

Kirby

Lyle
07-30-2008, 22:03
I plan to be hiking Fontana to Erwin the tail end of Oct., maybe beginning of November. Maybe see you out there.

Marta
07-31-2008, 04:23
Re: Setting up your tent in a shelter

A lot of the shelters in the Smokies are double-deckers. You may have trouble setting up a tent because of the reduced headroom.

mudhead
07-31-2008, 06:15
well........

I like that. Made me smile.

Plodderman
07-31-2008, 11:16
Probably not to crowded but the views should be fantastic that time of year. Seems like the shelters are positioned either to short or to long when hiking but it will be getting dark sooner so shorter days should not be a problem. Always hated getting to the shelters to early with nothing to do.

Pitching a tent in some of the shelters will be a problem because they are double decker's.

Bare Bear
08-05-2008, 14:04
Fortunately Dick Tracy has taken his family camping so many times he is well known as the campfire guy at shelters. He always builds one, every night. He also carries a real heavy pack to YOGI things from: olive oil, spices, real cheese chunks, cocoa, sugar, honey, etc.