PDA

View Full Version : CT-VT late Aug to Mid Sep Gear Shakedown

Mike.C
07-28-2008, 23:37
Ok after an extended hiatus from real camping and hiking I am wading back in with a 3 week section hike starting in CT and working north.

I am starting out buying new gear since most of my old stuff is in various states of disrepair.

For a pack I decided on a Osprey Atmos 65 after trying it on at an outfitter.

For Shelter I am going to give a hammock a try with the Clark Tropical. And if that ends up not working over the whole trip I can shelter or use the Clark's tarp.

My big question is sleeping. I was planning on bringing a lightweight summer bag given the August start, and then perhaps supplement with an army poncho liner. (Which could double as an underquilt). But the prospects of VT in mid September has me rethinking.

It seems silly to have to do a gear swap on a 3 week hike but I will defer to the experts here. I tend to sleep hot but there is no reason to force the issue.

So basically I am looking for sleeping bag options. After a 15 month "business trip" I can afford to spend a little extra on a well built solid piece of gear. But it would need to stand out. Otherwise I am looking for the best bang for the buck.

Thanks,

Mike

rafe
07-28-2008, 23:47
I would guess a bag rated around 40* F would do the job. I'd consider this (http://www.campsaver.com/itemmatrix.asp?GroupCode=mth0068&MatrixType=1) one. (Mountain Hardware Phantom 32.) I used the MH Phantom 45 last summer, on a hike that ended mid-September in southern Virginia. Amazingly light, compresses down to nothing.

OregonHiker
07-29-2008, 02:17
I would guess a bag rated around 40* F would do the job. I'd consider this (http://www.campsaver.com/itemmatrix.asp?GroupCode=mth0068&MatrixType=1) one. (Mountain Hardware Phantom 32.) Amazingly light, compresses down to nothing.

22 ounces

Quoddy
07-29-2008, 08:54
A 40F bag will probably do the job well into September if you're not a cold sleeper. For hammock use I'd definitely opt for a full zip bag, though.

canoehead
07-29-2008, 10:21
I use a TNF climber 3d 35 degreeish bag and I'd bring a silk liner.
Works great

Mike.C
07-29-2008, 10:25
Thanks guys,

Has anyone used a CCF pad in a Hammock? I am going to bring a pad along for nights I am in a shelter and was looking at a Ridgerest.

And Terrapin thanks for the link. That looks like a good bag. I just need to make sure I keep the down dry.