PDA

View Full Version : NOC to Fontana

Bruce Hudson
07-29-2008, 10:56
As a teacher the summer started with plans to go from the approach trail at Springer to Hot Springs. But alas with a series of injuries I've only gotten to the NOC. I want to at least get up to Fontana Dam, and I'm looking for shuttle recommendations in that area. I already know about Ron, Dave and Victor at the Budget Inn in Franklin (Dave shuttled me back to Amicalola when a badly infected finger got me off the trial the first time.) I'm just checking to see if people have other options.

Bruce Hudson

Digger'02
07-29-2008, 11:03
the hiker inn there on 28 near fontana and Jerry at Fontana village are both good options.

Bruce Hudson
07-29-2008, 11:05
Yep, the major issue on my mind when I started to post: what about security for a truck at either end. The NOC didn't strike me as the best place imaginable to leave a truck for a few days-- in fact I would have to check to see if it can be done. And of course I've not been to Fontana yet. I can leave the truck at either end. Which would be the most secure?

Bruce Hudson

Roots
07-29-2008, 12:02
NOC and Fontana Dam area are the best places to leave your car. We have left ours at both before, never a problem. NOC allows you to park for as long as you need. They suggest to park over where you rent boats. Fontana allows long term parking also anywhere beside the visitors center.

Jeff and Nancy at the Hike Inn will shuttle anywhere in the area.

gregdog
07-29-2008, 12:56
The NOC employees also shuttle. They have a board they post requests on and one of them will call you to make arrangements. We did this earlier this month and left our truck there, no problems.

Plodderman
07-29-2008, 13:10
No problem at Fontana with vehicles. We left ours there for a week and everything was fine.

Bare Bear
07-29-2008, 18:27
Hike Inn is just east of Fontana and a very safe place to leave a vehicle. Give Jeff/Nancy a call at 824 479-3677. Best time is early evening. They also run shuttles.

Deerleg
07-29-2008, 22:19
No problem at Fontana with vehicles. We left ours there for a week and everything was fine. Me too no problem. It is well patrolled and you will see an obvious ares where the section hikers park. Your shuttle service should be well versed too.

CherrypieScout
08-02-2008, 13:03
I asked around the the resturant for a shuttle. A college kid who worked there drove me, then left my jeep at NOC. No problems.