PDA

View Full Version : post drops

beatbox
03-02-2004, 00:17
I have my boxes ready for my through hike and I know the zip codes....How exactly should I label the boxes in order toh ave the post offices receive them and hold them for me? Do I need to call the Post Offices first? Am I correct that they will hold them for a month?

SGT Rock
03-02-2004, 02:22
http://www.whiteblaze.net/forum/showthread.php?t=857&highlight=mail+drop+label

Check out this thread.

Moon Monster
03-02-2004, 02:22
Most AT trailtown POs are very used to wide variations in address labels, but the best form is the following or a close variant:

George Bush
c/o General Delivery
Washington, DC 20005

[and then in the lower portion of the label or box (right or left)]:
Hold for AT Thru-hiker
Expected: March 2, 2004

"General Delivery" is the key phrase. You do not have to be too accurate with your expected date, but try not to push the full 4 weeks grace period. Try to arrive within a week of when the package reaches the PO. Many trail PO's are friendly enough to tell you whether a box has arrived if you call them from further down the trail. I even found some would forward a Priority Mail package ahead to the next town for me via telephone (but some may want you to come in and bear ID). It's not neccessary to call the PO to see if they will take a box; they are required to.

Jack Tarlin
03-03-2004, 17:39
All good advice so far.....you might also want to check out Karen Sousa's excellent Maildrop/Package advice that can be found in the "Articles" section of this website