PDA

View Full Version : Underwear?!

Travis49
07-29-2008, 11:16
I'm curious as to what kind of underwear I should be buying for hiking. I'm leaving in a few days and I basically have everything else ready to go, but I forgot about underwear until I went down the beach and got raw-crotch after a day of walking along the boardwalk.

So, since there will be hotter days during the last month of summer, I'm worried about the side effects of walking long distances wearing boxers. Should I get wicking underwear? I don't want long underwear, I'll be wearing shorts, but I do want something that will keep me dry and happy.

Any suggestions? I'm also not looking to spend a fortune on underwear, but if it'll keep me form being miserable then I'll shell out a bit extra if you guys think it's worth it.

Thanks in advance. =D

Footslogger
07-29-2008, 11:18
If you perspire heavily my personal suggestion would be to go without !

As your persiration collects on the skin and evaporates there is a salt residue that can lead to some pretty bad chafe if combined with a little friction.

'Slogger

jesse
07-29-2008, 11:29
I use Champion from Target. I am not a long distance hiker. I usually wear a pair, and pack a pair. I rinse out the dirty pair at night and sleep in the clean pair.

IceAge
07-29-2008, 11:36
Another Champion user here, I tried the UnderArmour and it was just more expensive. Didn't dry out as fast either, Champion was much better

sbennett
07-29-2008, 12:09
Ex Officio is the best

Cabin Fever
07-29-2008, 12:22
I have multiple pairs of Under Armor boxer jocks and they are GREAT! However, they are expensive.

At Trail Days, I purchased some Medalist brand boxer briefs and they have turned out to be suprisingly great.

rafe
07-29-2008, 12:44
Non-cotton, body-conforming boxer shorts. Like this (http://tbn0.google.com/images?q=tbn:pbD2SFFF6djqZM:http://img.diytrade.com/cdimg/574731/3933522/0/1183956968/Men_s_Briefs_Men_s_Boxer_Shorts_Men_s_Basic_Underw ear.jpg).

Summit
07-29-2008, 12:46
I wear these while hiking - solves the chaffing problem:

http://www.rei.com/product/732624

I change into a pair of ordinary boxers in camp for comfort, only carrying one of each of these, no matter how short or long the hike - just wash/rinse them every 3-4 days.

Lyle
07-29-2008, 14:23
My vote is for commando with a small baggie of Gold Bond for the occasional chafing that occurs. Have never been debilitated with this method. Comfortable, less laundry, cheap!

Remember to rinse the area every night before bed whether you wear underwear or not - wet wipes work good, or just a damp bandanna. It's the accumulation of salt from dried sweat that causes the biggest problem.

Just Plain Jim
07-29-2008, 14:29
On my last hike in May, it was hot so tried hiking w/o any and had no problems.

Wise Old Owl
07-29-2008, 15:04
I'm with Terrapin's idea on this - Underarmour - you are paying for the symbol. There is plenty of non cotton compression shorts available from REI and Campmor, even Dick's Sporting Goods. It really avoids the chafing.

rafe
07-29-2008, 15:10
I'm with Terrapin's idea on this - Underarmour - you are paying for the symbol. There is plenty of non cotton compression shorts available from REI and Campmor, even Dick's Sporting Goods. It really avoids the chafing.

FWIW, I found the REI house brand (MTS?) fell apart rapidly. I'd sew it up and it would just fall apart again...

Plodderman
07-29-2008, 15:48
Go without or wear some boxers that aren't cotton. I now buy swimming suits and cut the inner lining making sure to loosen the elastic band enough so they don't bunch up and walk with the liner hanging inside the shorts.

drastic_quench
07-29-2008, 16:05
I don't care for free balling. It's not gross, it just doesn't have the support I need. I've used spandex/biker shorts with success, but I've been wondering about trying a jock. Remember jocks? Few wear these anymore, but it seems like it'd be perfect for a thru-hiker - it's just the essential part of the undergarment. No more, no less.

highway
07-29-2008, 16:09
Non-cotton, body-conforming boxer shorts. Like this (http://tbn0.google.com/images?q=tbn:pbD2SFFF6djqZM:http://img.diytrade.com/cdimg/574731/3933522/0/1183956968/Men_s_Briefs_Men_s_Boxer_Shorts_Men_s_Basic_Underw ear.jpg).

I'd go for a darker color though, black, for instance, shows no stain after no shower for a few days:D

Pedaling Fool
07-29-2008, 16:17
There is no underwear in hiking.:banana

Footslogger
07-29-2008, 16:22
Wasn't it Seinfeld who said ..."I'm OUT THERE and I'm LOVING it" !!

'Slogger

SteveJ
07-29-2008, 16:45
....for me, what's almost as important is the GOLD BOND! No matter what kind of underwear I'm wearing (or not wearing), I get some chafing....

10-K
07-29-2008, 17:00
In warm weather I hike in swimtrunks and Nike/Armor All synthetic t-shirts. If it pours down rain, no problem.

Works great.

Peaks
07-29-2008, 17:05
My hiking shorts have liners in them, so no underwear needed.

Wags
07-29-2008, 17:34
bro get some nike dryfit compression shorts. they're the best material out there and will keep all chafing under control

hopefulhiker
07-29-2008, 18:09
Another vote for Under Armour and Gold Bond powder, gold bottle!

Tagless
07-29-2008, 18:09
The many thoughtful posts in this thread illustrate that there are numerous viable solutions - not necessarily one best choice. I've transitioned from hiking without underwear to taking 1-2 pair depending on the length of the hike. I'm very pleased with UnderArmour (heat compression short leg version). They breathe and wick moisture well and definitely eliminate chafing. They are easy to wash and dry quickly - helping to keep hiking shorts cleaner. They are also comfortable to sleep in at night.

dessertrat
07-29-2008, 18:21
Either nothing or some sort of spandex/compression shorts. One risks chafing at the pants seams, the other risks monkey butt, but you can't have it all, unless you wear a kilt with no underwear, I guess.

mudhead
07-29-2008, 18:47
I don't care for free balling. It's not gross, it just doesn't have the support I need. I've used spandex/biker shorts with success, but I've been wondering about trying a jock. Remember jocks? Few wear these anymore, but it seems like it'd be perfect for a thru-hiker - it's just the essential part of the undergarment. No more, no less.

Don't know about the thru hike time span, but it works great. Take the time to find a brand that fits well, they are all cut differently. If the sizing fits you, spend the extra on a UA. Comes in black, but you may have to special order the non-cup version. (Unless hiking is a contact sport for ya.)

FritztheCat
07-29-2008, 20:52
I'm glad (really glad) to see I'm not alone with the chaffing problem. I've tried the cotton boxer briefs (bad idea I know now) and silk boxer shorts and even none. Didn't matter as I chaffed. So I'm thinking the Under Armour Compression Shorts are worth a shot. (If they don't work, I can still wear them cycling).

Anyway, there is no size chart. I normally wear a waist size 32 or 33. Is that a medium or a large?

FritztheCat
07-29-2008, 20:54
I'm glad (really glad) to see I'm not alone with the chaffing problem. I've tried the cotton boxer briefs (bad idea I know now) and silk boxer shorts and even none. Didn't matter as I chaffed. So I'm thinking the Under Armour Compression Shorts are worth a shot. (If they don't work, I can still wear them cycling).

Anyway, there is no size chart. I normally wear a waist size 32 or 33. Is that a medium or a large?

Argh!!! Never mind! I just found the sizing chart. :datz

Blissful
07-29-2008, 20:56
Or try a kilt (like sport kilt) and body glide (works for my hubby)

Footslogger
07-29-2008, 21:15
Underwear is just something else to get dirty/stinky and have to wash.

Go without ...

'Slogger

JAK
07-29-2008, 21:35
Concerning underwear, don't carry two pair of anything, except testicles.

Lyle
07-29-2008, 22:11
A note on the Gold Bond Medicated Powder. It is a life saver if you develop any chafing. The first time you put it on to your sensitive areas, you may think "God, what did I do?" It starts to burn slightly, never reaches the painful stage, but then very quickly becomes real soothing.

If put on at bedtime, after washing, the chafing was always pretty much gone the next morning. I usually use it a couple of days when I needed it.

Tinker
07-29-2008, 22:20
I use nothing but Body Glide as a method of preventing friction. Loose shorts and lots of fresh air (and washing - or at least using moist towelettes - every night before bed).

MAD777
07-29-2008, 22:24
I use REI mesh MTS briefs on short hikes but, because of odor control, I use Ibex merino wool briefs (200 weight).

Summit
07-29-2008, 22:52
Not to turn this into a 'how to treat chaffing' thread, but I use and swear by BodyGlide. It doesn't burn going on and I've applied it to a pretty raw area at night and was absolutely floored at how healed it was in the morning.

Back to underwear . . . obviously a lot of different methods work because we have a lot of different anatomies and variations of skin toughness. I tried 'commando' and got the worst chaffing in my life. Only compression shorts/underwear and an occasional light dose of BodyGlide work for me. I did some serious suffering, trying all sorts of combinations before finding what works very well for me. ;)

Wags
07-29-2008, 23:50
i don't understand how you could get any chaffing at all wearing nike/UA compression shorts. they all are flat seems and your skin never touches other skin and none of the clothing rubs on your skin. ?????

Mr HaHa
07-30-2008, 08:45
My vote is for commando with a small baggie of Gold Bond for the occasional chafing that occurs. Have never been debilitated with this method. Comfortable, less laundry, cheap!

Remember to rinse the area every night before bed whether you wear underwear or not - wet wipes work good, or just a damp bandanna. It's the accumulation of salt from dried sweat that causes the biggest problem. Lyle do you remember letting me use one of your wet wipes to clean my pan? You did'nt! You would'nt! I am going to have nightmares for a good long time now!

Summit
07-30-2008, 18:16
Lyle do you remember letting me use one of your wet wipes to clean my pan? You did'nt! You would'nt! I am going to have nightmares for a good long time now!After all . . . what are friends for? :D :p

Lyle
07-30-2008, 18:19
It was only partially used HaHa, by no means used up. :confused::eek:

CaptChaos
07-30-2008, 18:26
While I am not a long distance hiker by any means I would cast my vote and say do without. About 8 years ago I went from Cades Cove to Spence Field and the next morning I could not walk. I had crotch rot so bad that it was to painful to move. I had cotton underwear on and it did me in.

I was lucky that I spent the night with a guy called "Birdman" and he had powder and he helped me out. I had to risk two nights at Spence when I was only scheduled for one as I could not get myself to my next destination by myself.

Since that day I have never worn any kind of underware when I hike in the Smokies. While I can't say what a thru hiker needs I can tell you that since I got rid of the underware I have never had that kind of problem since then.

CaptChaos

Hikerhead
07-30-2008, 18:28
Who needs stinking underwear. Just something else to get dirty and rub you the wrong way.:eek:

Summit
07-30-2008, 18:41
It was only partially used HaHa, by no means used up. :confused::eek:Eeeuuuwwwwhhhh! :eek:

Summit
07-30-2008, 18:44
Who needs stinking underwear.People who's anatomy is different from yours! I tried 'without' and wound up with a bloody crotch . . . not a lot of fun!

Hikerhead
07-30-2008, 18:56
People who's anatomy is different from yours! I tried 'without' and wound up with a bloody crotch . . . not a lot of fun!

Must have been wearing Hot Pants. Get some a little bigger. :)

Summit
07-30-2008, 19:42
Must have been wearing Hot Pants.Dang! I was hoping no one saw me on that hike! Oh well, I've been busted! :D

Egads
07-30-2008, 20:17
I developed terrible chaffing on the thighs, cheeks, & jewels after hiking in cotton underwear during a rain storm that lasted for 2 days. So, I decided to try going free. I soon discovered the Permethrin in the Buzzoff pants burned my b@lls. Now I wear nylon boxers or running shorts underneath and Life is Good again.

Egads